Tony will be here even more when he's gone

erod

Reaction score
If good health was a certainty, Tony Romo is the best player on this team, and it ain't even close. That will be true until the minute they release him later today as expected.

Not Zeke. Not Tyron. Not Martin. Certainly not Dez or Lee or Witten or whoever. Romo is an elite NFL player, and a quarterback at that. Eons beyond Dak Prescott, who is young and promising and working to figure out this league from the absolute best perch a young QB has ever inherited. He won't be at Romo's intellectual football level for many seasons from now.

Good health, however, is anything but a certainty, especially when it comes to back issues, and even more so from an aging veteran. Today is an unfortunate reality resulting from a very fortunate finding of a young QB of the future.

I feel for Tony. I feel for Dak, too. I even feel for Jerry Jones, whom I'm not one to sympathize with often. Too often he fails to exemplify the characteristics of good men, and this franchise has suffered from his ill-tempered ego and irrational stubbornness and insecurity. But there's goodness in him, too, and today is a hard day for Jerry, who just wants to say thank you and apologize to a QB that's born the brunt of his perpetual misgivings.

I wish so badly that Tony would stay. I think opportunities still await here as young Dak goes through the inevitable bumps. However, I understand why Tony wants to leave. The spirit of an undrafted man who beat all odds and secured the most celebrated position in professional sports, well, that's not a guy who sits and waits at this point. He sat and waited already, years ago.

The fallout of all this could make for a nightmarishly difficult 2017 season for many Cowboy fans.

Most hope he goes to Denver. I'm sure that Jerry does. That's the most innocuous place he can be, outside of a head-to-head matchup Sunday that we'll have to suffocate through. Otherwise, he'll be over there while we're over here, and we can all comfortably root for both while it all unfolds.

But what if it's Houston. Oh, boy. Look out. Jerry won't sleep a wink.

Instantly, (and here's where that health thing has to be set aside again), Houston becomes the best team in Texas. Vastly better defense. Terrific receivers. Good running back. An offensive line that needs some work, but isn't unfixable. And, most importantly, a much better quarterback.

Our quarterback. Winning lots of games. Only a four-hour drive away.

Houston will be the talk of the town. The talk of the NFL. Houston has never been the talk of anything. You'll see Romo jerseys at Cowboys Stadium, but in Texans colors. You'll see local media scurrying and reporting on his every move. You'll hear infinitely more locally about Tony than you will the Cowboys, all season long.

That will drive Jerry insane.

And it could compound far worse. The Cowboys are losing players left and right from a defense that was already bad. The draft can't fix the secondary and the pass rush in one offseason. Cap space is limited, and difference-making free agents are sparse and drying up fast. Jaylon Smith's nerve isn't healing, and those workouts don't account for reaction time. Ron Leary is about to leave, and La'el Collins isn't as good. Right now, if Dez goes down (again), Brice Butler is the No. 1 receiver, and Jason Witten is just not Jason Witten anymore. God forbid we suffer a significant injury on the offensive line.

The schedule will be tougher. There won't be so many weak quarterbacks on the roster. The division is strengthening. And let's not forget, the Cowboys just got beat by a team that got pulverized by the Falcons. That 13-3 was a lot of fun, but it was also flimsy. This team easily could have gone 0-6 in the division.

So Jerry has this team that I think will finish somewhere between 10-6 and 8-8. Imagine the internal pressure on Jerry, Garrett, Dak, and everybody if the Cowboys are resting at 4-4 while Romo is streaking to a 6-2 or better just to our south.

Cowboy fans are among the worst in professional sports, on par with Laker or Cubs fans. Mostly know-nothing bandwagoning simpletons that don't know the difference between a football and a rutabaga, but boy can they recite the opinion they heard third hand like Gospel. I love my Cowboys, but I'm often embarrassed to be associated with that lot.

Such a scenario will temporarily split this fan base. Today, most everyone lives on extremes and can't balance the nuance of rooting for Dallas and Romo at the same time. I guarantee you there will be fist fights at the stadium over Tony Romo arguments. If you've been there, you've unfortunately seen the DNA mutations that frequent these games. There's too many of them drinking away their paycheck before kickoff.

I look forward to the day that Tony finds peace. I hope he goes on a helluva run. He's taken the literal abuse, physically and emotionally, from carrying the weight of this franchise's countless mistakes for too long. I hope that body holds up so he can finish on his own terms.

I wish the same cathartic peace for Jerry, and us all. This is going to be a crazy, memorable, stressful, and surreal season upcoming. It will be all day, every week. The Cowboys and Romo comparisons, 24-7 on every TV and radio broadcast for as long as Romo stays upright.

Mostly, I look forward to the day Tony returns, in whatever capacity, to Dallas. And when he's inducted into the Ring of Honor, I hope we all become family again.

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Let-it-Go_0.jpg

robbieruff

Reaction score
If good health was a certainty, Tony Romo is the best player on this team, and it ain't even close. That will be true until the minute they release him later today as expected.

Not Zeke. Not Tyron. Not Martin. Certainly not Dez or Lee or Witten or whoever. Romo is an elite NFL player, and a quarterback at that. Eons beyond Dak Prescott, who is young and promising and working to figure out this league from the absolute best perch a young QB has ever inherited. He won't be at Romo's intellectual football level for many seasons from now.

Good health, however, is anything but a certainty, especially when it comes to back issues, and even more so from an aging veteran. Today is an unfortunate reality resulting from a very fortunate finding of a young QB of the future.

I feel for Tony. I feel for Dak, too. I even feel for Jerry Jones, whom I'm not one to sympathize with often. Too often he fails to exemplify the characteristics of good men, and this franchise has suffered from his ill-tempered ego and irrational stubbornness and insecurity. But there's goodness in him, too, and today is a hard day for Jerry, who just wants to say thank you and apologize to a QB that's born the brunt of his perpetual misgivings.

I wish so badly that Tony would stay. I think opportunities still await here as young Dak goes through the inevitable bumps. However, I understand why Tony wants to leave. The spirit of an undrafted man who beat all odds and secured the most celebrated position in professional sports, well, that's not a guy who sits and waits at this point. He sat and waited already, years ago.

The fallout of all this could make for a nightmarishly difficult 2017 season for many Cowboy fans.

Most hope he goes to Denver. I'm sure that Jerry does. That's the most innocuous place he can be, outside of a head-to-head matchup Sunday that we'll have to suffocate through. Otherwise, he'll be over there while we're over here, and we can all comfortably root for both while it all unfolds.

But what if it's Houston. Oh, boy. Look out. Jerry won't sleep a wink.

Instantly, (and here's where that health thing has to be set aside again), Houston becomes the best team in Texas. Vastly better defense. Terrific receivers. Good running back. An offensive line that needs some work, but isn't unfixable. And, most importantly, a much better quarterback.

Our quarterback. Winning lots of games. Only a four-hour drive away.

Houston will be the talk of the town. The talk of the NFL. Houston has never been the talk of anything. You'll see Romo jerseys at Cowboys Stadium, but in Texans colors. You'll see local media scurrying and reporting on his every move. You'll hear infinitely more locally about Tony than you will the Cowboys, all season long.

That will drive Jerry insane.

And it could compound far worse. The Cowboys are losing players left and right from a defense that was already bad. The draft can't fix the secondary and the pass rush in one offseason. Cap space is limited, and difference-making free agents are sparse and drying up fast. Jaylon Smith's nerve isn't healing, and those workouts don't account for reaction time. Ron Leary is about to leave, and La'el Collins isn't as good. Right now, if Dez goes down (again), Brice Butler is the No. 1 receiver, and Jason Witten is just not Jason Witten anymore. God forbid we suffer a significant injury on the offensive line.

The schedule will be tougher. There won't be so many weak quarterbacks on the roster. The division is strengthening. And let's not forget, the Cowboys just got beat by a team that got pulverized by the Falcons. That 13-3 was a lot of fun, but it was also flimsy. This team easily could have gone 0-6 in the division.

So Jerry has this team that I think will finish somewhere between 10-6 and 8-8. Imagine the internal pressure on Jerry, Garrett, Dak, and everybody if the Cowboys are resting at 4-4 while Romo is streaking to a 6-2 or better just to our south.

Cowboy fans are among the worst in professional sports, on par with Laker or Cubs fans. Mostly know-nothing bandwagoning simpletons that don't know the difference between a football and a rutabaga, but boy can they recite the opinion they heard third hand like Gospel. I love my Cowboys, but I'm often embarrassed to be associated with that lot.

Such a scenario will temporarily split this fan base. Today, most everyone lives on extremes and can't balance the nuance of rooting for Dallas and Romo at the same time. I guarantee you there will be fist fights at the stadium over Tony Romo arguments. If you've been there, you've unfortunately seen the DNA mutations that frequent these games. There's too many of them drinking away their paycheck before kickoff.

I look forward to the day that Tony finds peace. I hope he goes on a helluva run. He's taken the literal abuse, physically and emotionally, from carrying the weight of this franchise's countless mistakes for too long. I hope that body holds up so he can finish on his own terms.

I wish the same cathartic peace for Jerry, and us all. This is going to be a crazy, memorable, stressful, and surreal season upcoming. It will be all day, every week. The Cowboys and Romo comparisons, 24-7 on every TV and radio broadcast for as long as Romo stays upright.

Mostly, I look forward to the day Tony returns, in whatever capacity, to Dallas. And when he's inducted into the Ring of Honor, I hope we all become family again.
Understand your sentiments but I have a bone to pick with the assertion that Dak inherited the best situation ever by a young/rookie QB. In fact, in our own franchise's history, I would argue that Roger came into the absolutely best situation...yes, he had a protracted waiting situation due to his military service, but his rookie season saw him join a team with multiple all-pros and future HOFers, Doomsday peaking, and a FO that was poised to own the next decade in terms of talent acquisition led by revolutionary approaches and early on use of analytics. There's NO WAY anyone could objectively see Dak's entree into the league being a better situation than Roger's who had a team that had already been to a SB and multiple NFL championships and was still mostly intact. Love your posts but let's not go overboard on this point.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
Don't worry, it requires comprehension and intellect. I'll send you some funny farm animal videos.
And it'll mean nothing when he signs with a team not in Texas.
It read more like a scientology brochure than a what if about Romo playing in Houston and a what if Dak struggles. I'm over the ruing over Romo already. The future is now with Dak.

erod

Reaction score
Understand your sentiments but I have a bone to pick with the assertion that Dak inherited the best situation ever by a young/rookie QB. In fact, in our own franchise's history, I would argue that Roger came into the absolutely best situation...yes, he had a protracted waiting situation due to his military service, but his rookie season saw him join a team with multiple all-pros and future HOFers, Doomsday peaking, and a FO that was poised to own the next decade in terms of talent acquisition led by revolutionary approaches and early on use of analytics. There's NO WAY anyone could objectively see Dak's entree into the league being a better situation than Roger's who had a team that had already been to a SB and multiple NFL championships and was still mostly intact. Love your posts but let's not go overboard on this point.

The Cowboys had never been to a Super Bowl when Roger arrived, but yes, they were a good team. He was also 27 years old. Very different time, but point taken.

Dak inherited the best offensive line in the NFL, a Hall of Fame tight end, a pro bowl receiver and good corps of wideouts, and the NFL's leading rusher. Then, he did an excellent job of playing within himself and taking advantage. I will never take that away from Dak. However, growing pains still lie ahead. LOTS of them.

But this thread is about Tony, and what next season is going to feel like, more than anything.

erod

Reaction score
And it'll mean nothing when he signs with a team not in Texas.
It read more like a scientology brochure than a what if about Romo playing in Houston and a what if Dak struggles. I'm over the ruing over Romo already. The future is now with Dak.

I agree that the future is now with Dak, but wait until you see this place at 4-4 or worse, if Romo is lighting it up down I-45.

Silver N Blue

Reaction score

Great post and the wait till next year group will have another opportunity unless they hit on every pick in the draft. Sitting here reading the Pats just signed Gilmore and are about to trade for Cooks...that organization is the cowboys of the late 60s, 70s, 80, and 90s run....hope those fans realize how great they have it..

John813

Reaction score
Jerry has the ROY in Dak Prescott, a dynamic running back in Elliott and a damn good offensive line to protect/open holes for them.
Sure, he may feel bad about how Romos tenure ended here, but I doubt it's going to haunt him. Not like we are cutting him like Aikman and rolling with some unknown at QB.

I seriously doubt fans will linger on Romo either. Unless Dak slumps hard, no one will be bringing up Romo minus the die hard Romo fans that can't let him go.

Way too early to say how this team, around Dak will look like so early in the 17-18 offseason. We can always restructure more contracts to sign players if needed.

SDCowboy

Reaction score
Jerry has the ROY in Dak Prescott, a dynamic running back in Elliott and a damn good offensive line to protect/open holes for them.
Sure, he may feel bad about how Romos tenure ended here, but I doubt it's going to haunt him. Not like we are cutting him like Aikman and rolling with some unknown at QB.

I seriously doubt fans will linger on Romo either. Unless Dak slumps hard, no one will be bringing up Romo minus the die hard Romo fans that can't let him go.

Way too early to say how this team, around Dak will look like so early in the 17-18 offseason. We can always restructure more contracts to sign players if needed.
Exactly. Again, if the team happens to stink this season, it's not likely going to be because Tony isn't here. Our defense is the only thing I'm concerned about for this season.

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
We'll know in six months whether it was time to move on or not.

Actually it is time to move on now. Tony is gone regardless what happens six months from now. I moved on last year when I knew Romo was not getting his job back.

Also people that will not let him go is the reason Romo needs to be on another team. Dak would never have 100% of the team with Jerry, media, fans and maybe even some teammates always thinking Romo should be the starter. Turn the page. Enjoy the new chapter with Dak leading the way.