Top 5 horror films

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Watched the extended version of "The Exorcist" this evening, that included the "spider walk" down the stairs and the conversation between Father Dyer and the Lt. at the very end of the film.

Still holds up very well.

Like many of the great movies you have to pay attention to it in order to get many of the small details and subtleties throughout the picture.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
Watched the extended version of "The Exorcist" this evening, that included the "spider walk" down the stairs and the conversation between Father Dyer and the Lt. at the very end of the film.

Like many of the great movies you have to pay attention to it in order to get many of the small details and subtleties throughout the picture.

It's interesting that the real life account that somewhat inspired the movie was a male boy and they chose a female to make it less scary.

Can't see anyone thinking like that today.

For me, once the head spins around gender doesn't really matter.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It's interesting that the real life account that somewhat inspired the movie was a male boy and they chose a female to make it less scary.

Can't see anyone thinking like that today.

For me, once the head spins around gender doesn't really matter.

Agreed.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One other thing about "The Exorcist" is that it's held up well over the years. For a movie made in the early 70's it doesn't have an early 70's feel to it.

punchnjudy

Reaction score
One other thing about "The Exorcist" is that it's held up well over the years. For a movie made in the early 70's it doesn't have an early 70's feel to it.

Didn't realize it was that old.

Surprised they didn't try giving her weed. :)

Trouty

Kellen Moore baby
Reaction score

Do you own the DVD, Mike? Is this available on any of the streaming sites (Netflix, etc)?

aria

Reaction score
Backcountry is one that sticks out in my mind. Not only is the acting scary bad but the bear attack scene is the most disturbing thing I've seen in a loooong time. I swore I would never go camping after watching that. I still have nightmares over it.

Others...
A Serbian Film
Vulgar the Clown
Most Saws
Exorcist
30 Days of Night

Honorable mention: Misery (love Kathy Bates)

*No offense Trouty, I just didn't get Babbadook, I thought it sucked but it gets good reviews soooo...once again, I'm in the minority.

Last edited:

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Not a big slasher film guy, but my list would look something like... (in no particular order and obviously more than five as I'm not a huge horror fan so it's kind of hard to say)

Though I consider some of these borderline horror and more like creepy suspense thrillers.
  • Nightmare on Elm Street
  • Exorcist
  • The Shining
  • IT
  • Into the Mouth of Madness
  • The Birds
  • The Amityville Horror
  • Silence of the Lambs
  • Psycho (this and Freddy are the only real slasher type movies I like)
  • Poltergeist
  • Misery
  • Thinner

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
Horror movies to me are simply movies that scared me personally so I don't know that all of these ↓ would be considered horror.

1. Jaws - To this day it's the scariest movie I ever saw in a theater. My grandmother took me and had to leave in the middle of it and wait for me in the car.

2. The Shining - Just an all around creepy movie and the best thing Nicholson ever did. I'll never forget the ending scene when Jack was frozen in the snow.

3. Silence Of The Lambs - I'm more frightened by things that can really happen in life, and this one did it.

4. Poltergeist - Not the scariest, but the clown scene flipped me out and I thought the acting in it was really good throughout the movie. Zelda Rubinstein was awesome in it.

5. Seven - Serial killer stuff does it for me too and I thought Kevin Spacey played a great one in this movie.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Oh yeah, I forgot about Seven. I only saw it once and it was a long time ago. I barely (actually I don't) remember it.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think I could do a top 5 list.
Just too many I like and I would want to keep changing them around or put them in sub genres and so on.

With that said.

I bring up a movie or two that I did not see listed, may have missed it, that as a young child scared me or had specific scenes that scared me. Probably not scary at all if I were to watch them now.

The single scariest memory from a movie was the floating vampire boy at the glass door with the fog behind him in Salem's Lot. At that time that scared me and I was screaming...DON"T LET HIM IN.
If I sat and watched the original now I would probably laugh but at the time it was new and even on network tv...it was scary to a young kid.

Gargoyles - I think that was the name of the movie. I only remember small sections of it but gargoyle like creatures abducting people and taking them to a cave and one of the lead Gargoyles had crazy contacts that looked like devil or demon eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gargoyles+movie

Looks like you can watch it free on Youtube....and just from glancing through a bit of it, it looks super goofy now...but as a young kid...scary. Came out in 72 and I was born in 70. I have had to seen it a few years after it originally came out but I bet it was not too many years.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Backcountry is one that sticks out in my mind. Not only is the acting scary bad but the bear attack scene is the most disturbing thing I've seen in a loooong time. I swore I would never go camping after watching that. I still have nightmares over it.

Others...
A Serbian Film
Vulgar the Clown
Most Saws
Exorcist
30 Days of Night

Honorable mention: Misery (love Kathy Bates)

*No offense Trouty, I just didn't get Babbadook, I thought it sucked but it gets good reviews soooo...once again, I'm in the minority.

"30 Days of Night" is a pretty damn good film!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think I could do a top 5 list.
Just too many I like and I would want to keep changing them around or put them in sub genres and so on.

With that said.

I bring up a movie or two that I did not see listed, may have missed it, that as a young child scared me or had specific scenes that scared me. Probably not scary at all if I were to watch them now.

The single scariest memory from a movie was the floating vampire boy at the glass door with the fog behind him in Salem's Lot. At that time that scared me and I was screaming...DON"T LET HIM IN.
If I sat and watched the original now I would probably laugh but at the time it was new and even on network tv...it was scary to a young kid.

Gargoyles - I think that was the name of the movie. I only remember small sections of it but gargoyle like creatures abducting people and taking them to a cave and one of the lead Gargoyles had crazy contacts that looked like devil or demon eyes.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gargoyles+movie

Looks like you can watch it free on Youtube....and just from glancing through a bit of it, it looks super goofy now...but as a young kid...scary. Came out in 72 and I was born in 70. I have had to seen it a few years after it originally came out but I bet it was not too many years.

"Gargoyles" is a solid film. One of the best made-for-TV horror films. The costumes were decent and the gal that played the daughter was a real cutey. Also loved the buzzing sound effect when the gargoyles were close by.

This film is probably ripe for a remake.

aria

Reaction score
Oh, how could I forget...Pet Cemetery. First movie I ever snuck into and the jogger and Gage still freak me out to this day.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Im gonna go numberless because its hard to rank.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre
Blair Witch Project
Insidious
Rosemarys Baby
Omen

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Limiting to five is tough.

1. Alien
2. Jaws
3. Halloween
4. Hellraiser
5. Amityville Horror or The Thing (Kurt Russel not James Arness)

I can remember when I was a kid I loved a bunch of horror movies that are probably pretty cheesy today.
It's Alive
Trilogy of Terror
Legend of Boggy Creek
The Car
The Swarm
Prophecy - The one with the mutant bear, not Christopher Walken
Motel Hell
Phantasm
Adrienne Barbeau's Chest...er I mean Swamp Thing

I could go on and on with those.

blindzebra

Reaction score

1. Alien
2. Jaws
3. Halloween
4. Hellraiser

I can remember when I was a kid I loved a bunch of horror movies that are probably pretty cheesy today.
It's Alive
Trilogy of Terror
Legend of Boggy Creek
The Car
The Swarm
Motel Hell
Phantasm

1. Alien
2. Jaws
3. Halloween
4. Hellraiser

It's Alive
Trilogy of Terror
Legend of Boggy Creek
The Car
The Swarm
Motel Hell
Phantasm

Motel Hell and Phantasm are classics in that Evil Dead/Shaun of the Dead mold...takes all kinda critters to make Farmer Vincent's fritters.