Top 5 Most Underrated Cowboys of Last 5 Seasons

Kwyn

Reaction score
So in the last 5 seasons, who have been the most underrated players on our roster? This covers 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. The definition of “underrated” for this thread will be “players that made important contributions without as much recognition or appreciation“.

Here are my 5 and why:
  • La’el Collins- On an OL loaded with accolades (Zack Martin, Ty Smith) Collins too often gets overlooked. He’s an absolute road grader at times in both the run and passing game . I’m glad the FO has him locked up for a while.
  • Michael Gallup- After only two seasons, Gallup is IMO, the most improved player we’ve drafted lately. He has averaged 50 catches for over 800 yards in his first two seasons. Cooper and Lamb will get all all the spotlight, but Gallup is a stud in the making.
  • Blake Jarwin- obviously with a new contract in his pocket, he’s seen as a guy on the rise. Stuck behind 90 year old Jason Witten last year, he still caught 31 passes and averaged nearly 12 yards per catch, one of the highest ypc for a TE. Hopefully in a larger role next year, he will blossom even more.
  • LP Ladoceur- about to start season #16 as the all important snapper on FGs, XPs and punts. As reliable as the sunrise. Has played for Parcells, Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett and now Big Mike.

• Anthony Brown- Former 6th round pick, not spectacular but reliable as a versatile corner. Team thinks enough of him to give him a new 3 year deal. This is a guy that every good team needs. An affordable, reliable veteran.
So there are my five most underrated Cowboys since 2015.
Who are yours?
La’el for sure

RJ_MacReady

It's all in the reflexes
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Definitely La’el Collins.

Jourdan Lewis is underrated by the coaches and media, but not us fans. It’s sickening how this kid doesn’t get his playing time. He’s going to be on another team in 2021 and absolutely crushing it as a slot corner. I think he’s our most talented/versatile DB.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Collins is grossly underrated by most.

People are screaming that Gallup cannot be a #1.

Many don't think too highly of Jarwin.(On the fence myself)

Brown catches a ton of flak also.

Honestly, it appears you're not sure of the definition of underrated.
I guess not cause I don’t under rate them. All starting potential .

Collins basically 1st round talent is starting. Brown a role player for a 6th round pick is solid. Gallup already starting. Jarwin fixing to start this year.

Not sure anyone on our staff or front office is under rating them. Maybe some fans who aren’t paying attention? Is that who you’re referring to by most?

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I know many will laugh at that, but I agree that Jeff Heath was better than too many folks around here acknowledge.

I agree also, and I was laughed at and derided by many here for saying so the last couple of years.

Though it's not hard to be better than too many folks around here when those same folks said Heath was "the worst safety in the league" and "horrible", somehow ignoring the fact that if he was indeed that bad, then the Cowboys couldn't find anybody to replace him? Not a free agent, not a draftee, not a walk on, nor any of the other safeties on the roster.

But let's not revisit that, he is, as they say around where I live, a "gone pecan". We'll see how he does with the Raiders, if he's truly that bad then surely the Raiders won't keep him around...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Definitely La’el Collins.

Jourdan Lewis is underrated by the coaches and media, but not us fans. It’s sickening how this kid doesn’t get his playing time. He’s going to be on another team in 2021 and absolutely crushing it as a slot corner. I think he’s our most talented/versatile DB.

Well he should have an excellent opportunity to show what he can do with Jones gone, don't think there's a definite starting cornerback lineup in place as yet, should be a wide open competition....

kskboys

Reaction score
I guess not cause I don’t under rate them. All starting potential .

Collins basically 1st round talent is starting. Brown a role player for a 6th round pick is solid. Gallup already starting. Jarwin fixing to start this year.

Not sure anyone on our staff or front office is under rating them. Maybe some fans who aren’t paying attention? Is that who you’re referring to by most?
Many, many fans are underrating them. There were still some complaining about Lael during the season last year, not realizing he has now become a top 10 ORT.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So in the last 5 seasons, who have been the most underrated players on our roster? This covers 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. The definition of “underrated” for this thread will be “players that made important contributions without as much recognition or appreciation“.

Here are my 5 and why:
  • La’el Collins- On an OL loaded with accolades (Zack Martin, Ty Smith) Collins too often gets overlooked. He’s an absolute road grader at times in both the run and passing game . I’m glad the FO has him locked up for a while.
  • Michael Gallup- After only two seasons, Gallup is IMO, the most improved player we’ve drafted lately. He has averaged 50 catches for over 800 yards in his first two seasons. Cooper and Lamb will get all all the spotlight, but Gallup is a stud in the making.
  • Blake Jarwin- obviously with a new contract in his pocket, he’s seen as a guy on the rise. Stuck behind 90 year old Jason Witten last year, he still caught 31 passes and averaged nearly 12 yards per catch, one of the highest ypc for a TE. Hopefully in a larger role next year, he will blossom even more.
  • LP Ladoceur- about to start season #16 as the all important snapper on FGs, XPs and punts. As reliable as the sunrise. Has played for Parcells, Wade Phillips, Jason Garrett and now Big Mike.

• Anthony Brown- Former 6th round pick, not spectacular but reliable as a versatile corner. Team thinks enough of him to give him a new 3 year deal. This is a guy that every good team needs. An affordable, reliable veteran.
So there are my five most underrated Cowboys since 2015.
Who are yours?

None of those guy were underrated. `

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Jeff Heath ....

Heath was a text book example of being overrated. Heath is a low end starting safety. Borderline starter/backup. Some on here acted like he was more than that. Heath was the worst starter on the team every year.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Many, many fans are underrating them. There were still some complaining about Lael during the season last year, not realizing he has now become a top 10 ORT.

Uh oh!!!! Would some call him an "average" RT?

fivetwos

Reaction score
Heath was a text book example of being overrated. Heath is a low end starting safety. Borderline starter/backup. Some on here acted like he was more than that. Heath was the worst starter on the team every year.
If someone wants to call Heath an NFL starting S that's fine, but he isnt one on a team that ought to expect to be any good.

Heath started looking ok because dudes like Woods and Thompson were worse.

kskboys

Reaction score
If someone wants to call Heath an NFL starting S that's fine, but he isnt one on a team that ought to expect to be any good.

Heath knew what to do, but due to physical limitations he all too often couldn't do it.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score

I watched the guy all game every game. The guy missed tackle after tackle. Took bad angle after bad angle. He was anything but a ball hawk and was definitely NOT a guy to jar open a fumble regularly although, on occasion he did have a big hit once or twice a year. Any fool can do that at the safety position.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Heath knew what to do, but due to physical limitations he all too often couldn't do it.

I didn't see any 6th sense on where to be or angles to take. Always a few steps late to the play. Rarely jumping a play. He was the quintessential example of what was wrong with our defense.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I agree also, and I was laughed at and derided by many here for saying so the last couple of years.

Though it's not hard to be better than too many folks around here when those same folks said Heath was "the worst safety in the league" and "horrible", somehow ignoring the fact that if he was indeed that bad, then the Cowboys couldn't find anybody to replace him? Not a free agent, not a draftee, not a walk on, nor any of the other safeties on the roster.

But let's not revisit that, he is, as they say around where I live, a "gone pecan". We'll see how he does with the Raiders, if he's truly that bad then surely the Raiders won't keep him around...
Anyone who said he was the worst is crazy

He was average and was steady and dependable. You can do a lot worse at safety than steady and dependable. The position is named “safety” as a name for a reason

As Sturm, our local Packer expert, said, Ha Ha takes the “safety” out of “Safety”.

Give me a Steady Eddie over “Ha Ha, where’s the ball, I just bit on a fake, Dix” any day

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

Third on the team in passes defensed, 6th on the team in tackles (only 16 less than Awuzie, who played 2 more games). So Woods was worse, but Heath is gone, so Woods will take his place, wow that's great, replace one bad player with a worse one...