Top 5 Receivers in the NFL

BillsFan

Bledsoe for MVP
Reaction score
Let's have everyone give their top 5. I imagine some of you have some strong opinions as to who you think is the best.

1) Randy Moss - I really don't think anyone is close to him. I wish I could see all his games.

2) Terrell Owens - This probably won't be popular with the Cowboy fans but I really believe T.O is second best. I hate his guts but he is a big time player and he's bad news for the rest of the division now that he's in Philly. Yes he's going to get smacked around a lot this year but T.O isn't exactly a guy you can intimidate.

3) Marvin Harrison - I don't like Marvin much. Everyone saw what Ty Law did to him last year. The rules changes should benefit him though.

4) Laveranues Coles - I really like Coles and I think he's going to have a huge huge year.

5) Torry Holt - He put up amazing numbers last year and I couldn't leave him off my list.

Other guys I think who will have big years are Hines Ward, Eric Moulds (he'll bounce back after injury)Joe Horn, and Chad Johnson.

JBell

That's still my Quarterback
Reaction score
1. Randy Moss
2. Marvin Harrison
3. Terrell Owens
4. Torry Holt
5. Hines Ward

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
You all know how i feel about this...

1.Harrison
2.Moss
3.Owens
4.torry holt
5.chad johnson

Harrison is the best route runner in the nfl. He is fast and he is a no nonsense player. Prior to last season he was putting up crazy numbers. If he was with a less potent qb who had to rely on him he would still be owning the game. Unfortunately, Manning is a great qb and he is able to spread the ball.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
1. Moss
2. Harrison
3. Holt
4. Coles
5. Owens

Caveat: Both Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn, are still capable of breaking onto that list. But only if they have former Heismann Trophy winner Vinnie Testaverde throwing them the ball. Vinnie showed in NY, with his uncanny ability to make virtually any throw to any spot, at any time, that Key's lack of speed does not have to relegate him to "possession receiver " status. With #16 behind center, Johnson will thrive once again. Glenn was a constant deep threat with Bledsoe. Certainly, now, with an accurate QB like Vin, who can actually hit receivers downfield in stride, there is a very strong liklihood of him regaining his "elite" status. I hate the thought of seeing both players marginalized by "vicinity passer" Carter and clueless "rookie" Henson.

Carter is simply too inaccurate to fully utilize these two wonderful weapons, the cream of the 1996 receiver draft class. Henson has a strong arm but he never sniffed a Heismann, and will never manage a game like Testaverde can. At 41 Vinnie is in better condition than both of them, not to mention what they both know about the game could fit in one tiny neural cluster of Vinnie's brain.

VINNIE RULEZ!

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
1. Moss
2. Harrison
3. Holt
4. Coles
5. Owens

Caveat: Both Keyshawn Johnson and Terry Glenn, are still capable of breaking onto that list. But only if they have former Heismann Trophy winner Vinnie Testaverde throwing them the ball. Vinnie showed in NY, with his uncanny ability to make virtually any throw to any spot, at any time, that Key's lack of speed does not have to relegate him to "possession receiver " status. With #16 behind center, Johnson will thrive once again. Glenn was a constant deep threat with Bledsoe. Certainly, now, with an accurate QB like Vin, who can actually hit receivers downfield in stride, there is a very strong liklihood of him regaining his "elite" status. I hate the thought of seeing both players marginalized by "vicinity passer" Carter and clueless "rookie" Henson.

Carter is simply too inaccurate to fully utilize these two wonderful weapons, the cream of the 1996 receiver draft class. Henson has a strong arm but he never sniffed a Heismann, and will never manage a game like Testaverde can. At 41 Vinnie is in better condition than both of them, not to mention what they both know about the game could fit in one tiny neural cluster of Vinnie's brain.

VINNIE RULEZ!
I think chad johnson should go ahead of coles. They are both young, but chad has been the better of the two imo.

About your comment on Key and glenn getting top 5... I think key has a long shot at it, more likely borderline top 10, and glenn is lucky if he is viewed as one of the better recievers period. I think antonio bryant has the best size/speed/athletic ability ratio on the team and if he gets it, he could crack the top 5...

Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I realize that all of us have not been heard from, but here's what you're all saying collectively ...

1) Randy Moss - received 5 votes for the number one receiver
2) Marvin Harrison - received 5 votes for the number two receiver
3) Terrell Owens - received 4 votes for the number three receiver

I realize that I'm not on either the smack talk thread or the fantasy thread. So, I won't say what many of my Eagle fan colleagues would say about the count.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Cowboys, or any other team when we talk about talented receivers. Therefore I will restrain from giving you my number one receiver vote (I'll admit that I have a Biased opinion).

However, I can raise your level of consciousness about some confounding variables that should be factored-in to this equation before your revote ...

1) When you think about the receiver, think about the quarterback that's making the reception possible.

2) Think about the yards gained after the catch

3) Think about whether the receiver is In the NFC or AFC

Most importantly ...

Take off your fan hat for just a second; then put it back on after you've made your decisions. Don't tell me you gave your votes that kind of thought process.

Try it again! You may come up with some receivers that didn't even make the list. Don't forget about some running backs that have good hands. Not trying to be funny, but I think there was a tight-end named "Novachek" or something like that (I'm not a Cowboys' fan, so don't hold me accountable for getting his name right), but I'll bet there are some DCB fans out there that know who I'm talking about. While I hated Novachek, I think he was the best TE in the NFL to this day! This dude could pull down a catch across the middle, and take it all the way, he could take a real hard hit, get back in the game and maKe a monster play -- and He could block better than the best of them.

So leave your egos at the door! Re-think and re-vote. :confused:

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
Gentlemen,

I realize that all of us have not been heard from, but here's what you're all saying collectively ...

1) Randy Moss - received 5 votes for the number one receiver
2) Marvin Harrison - received 5 votes for the number two receiver
3) Terrell Owens - received 4 votes for the number three receiver

I realize that I'm not on either the smack talk thread or the fantasy thread. So, I won't say what many of my Eagle fan colleagues would say about the count.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the Cowboys, or any other team when we talk about talented receivers. Therefore I will restrain from giving you my number one receiver vote (I'll admit that I have a Biased opinion).

However, I can raise your level of consciousness about some confounding variables that should be factored-in to this equation before your revote ...

1) When you think about the receiver, think about the quarterback that's making the reception possible.

2) Think about the yards gained after the catch

3) Think about the whether the receiver is In the NFC or AFC

Most importantly ...

Take off your fan hat for just a second; then put it back on after you make your decision. Don't tell me you gave your votes that kind of thought process.

Try it again! You may come up with some receivers that didn't even make the list. Don't forget about some running backs that have good hands. Not trying to be funny, but I think there was a thight-end named "Novachek" or something like that (I'm not a DCBF so don't hold me accountabLe for getting his name right), but I'll Bet there's some DCB fans out there that know who I'm talking about. While I hated Novachek, I think he was the best TE in the NFL to this day!

So leave your egos at the door! Re-think and re-vote. :confused:
If you're trying to argue Owens as no 2 or 1, you'll find very few non eagles fan that will agree with you...

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
On first glance at stats TO did not make the top 5 reviever in yards in 2002 or 2003. I know he was injured last year, but the year before???

Reaction score
RW31 said:
If you're trying to argue Owens as no 2 or 1, you'll find very few non eagles fan that will agree with you...

Come on RW31 ...

There are more than just Eagle and Cowboy fans at work here. I'm sure you've watched games other than when the CBs were playing.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
Owens has not been top 5 in yards in 2001, i cant find anywhere that shows stats beyond that, but it has been awhile since owen has dominated.

Another point of interest, Prior to last season, Harrison was the leading reciever in the nfl by around 200 yards...

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
Come on RW31 ...

There are more than just Eagle and Cowboy fans at work here. I'm sure you've watched games other than when the CBs were playing.
Yes i have, i watched the vikings 49ers game, where owens was so outplayed. I also saw him talking on his cell phone, not even giving a flying duck about his team in a close game against the eagles.

AJM1613

Reaction score
1. Randy Moss: Best reciever in the NFL, he is the Vikings' offense.
2. Marvin Harrison: Best route runner in the NFL and great hands.
3. Terrell Owens: Best at YAC and run blocking in the NFL.
4. Torry Holt: What he did last season was amazing.
5. Anquan Boldin: He was a great rookie and there is only room for improvement.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
AJM1613 said:
1. Randy Moss: Best reciever in the NFL, he is the Vikings' offense.
2. Marvin Harrison: Best route runner in the NFL and great hands.
3. Terrell Owens: Best at YAC and run blocking in the NFL.
4. Torry Holt: What he did last season was amazing.
5. Anquan Boldin: He was a great rookie and there is only room for improvement.
Thank you, but i remember a show on espn where salibury was ripping owens for his commitment to run blocking, they showed many highlights when to barely put a hand on the guy he was supposed to block. I think Keyshawn might be the best run blocker btw...

Reaction score
RW31 said:
Yes i have, i watched the vikings 49ers game, where owens was so outplayed. I also saw him talking on his cell phone, not even giving a flying duck about his team in a close game against the eagles.

You watched the vikings 49ers game where Owens was overplayed by whom?
Did you take into consideration that Owens and Garcia did not enjoy the same comfort level as Moss and his QB? Also, the coach can put a stop to the "Sharpie Pen/Cell phone" incidents, by establishing internal disciplines (you'd better believe Andy Reid will)!

You and I will continue this dialogue when we next see the two teams play again (different coach, different QB, and -- different team)!

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
ARMAGEDDON EAGLE said:
You watched the vikings 49ers game where Owens was overplayed by whom?
Did you take into consideration that Owens and Garcia did not enjoy the same comfort level as Moss and his QB? Also, the coach can put a stop to the "Sharpie Pen/Cell phone" incidents, by establishing internal disciplines (you'd better believe Andy Reid will)!

You and I will continue this dialogue when we next see the two teams play again (different coach, different QB, and -- different team)!
Are you saying Mooch isn't that good of a coach?? And Owens didn't like garcia because he felt he was open but the he couldn't make the throws, rather he ran with it. Mcnabb has a weaker arm and is much more prone to running, how is this going to make the situation better???

AJM1613

Reaction score
RW31 said:
You mean the game where he broke his collar bone and had 1 catch for 20 yards?

I remember the 12 receptions for 123 yards and two TDs against Dallas last year.

I remember the 9 receptions for 177 yards and two TDs (with a 25 yard pass) against the Giants in 2002...

AJM1613

Reaction score
RW31 said:
Thank you, but i remember a show on espn where salibury was ripping owens for his commitment to run blocking, they showed many highlights when to barely put a hand on the guy he was supposed to block. I think Keyshawn might be the best run blocker btw...
Nope, he is the best run blocker but he gave up last season. Kind of like Keyshawn. After Week 11 he didn't have 1 Catch! He wasn't injured either... ;)