Twitter: Top 5 worst cap situations for 2022

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Pretty sure attrition alone will nearly cut this by half but we're still facing some tough decisions. I'm guessing will cost us min 3-4 starters

Nobody knows what the Cap will be in 22. The Cowboys had a crazy cap situation in 21 as well. I remember some pundits say the Cowboys should drop the tag off of Dak for more cap space.:facepalm: The Cowboys could make three simple moves and they would be under the cap. I am not worried. I bet the person who wrote this did not take into account the cap savings on Jaylon.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I don’t even believe in this “cap hell” talk anymore. How many times have we seen this, only for a team to make a couple moves and restructures; voala, and we’re safe.

Im assuming the cap ceiling rises much higher in 2022

shabazz

Reaction score
I don’t even believe in this “cap hell” talk anymore. How many times have we seen this, only for a team to make a couple moves and restructures; voala, and we’re safe.

It is going up in 2022......now that the NFL has gone back to keeping the priority on sports rather than external issues....

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pretty sure attrition alone will nearly cut this by half but we're still facing some tough decisions. I'm guessing will cost us min 3-4 starters

All for this guy.....

dak-prescott-dak.gif

Could have gotten a stripper cheaper.....:muttley:

Jarntt

Reaction score
I go by spotrac even over OvertheCap. No clue about this red zone insider so I wouldn't use that number. With the expected cap increase to $208M it looks like we are somewhere around $9M over

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/

You also need to add to that number any of our free agents that we will want to retain. Gregory being the big one of course, but even a bunch of lower contracts and veteran minimums add up (we only have around 40 guys under contract for 2022). plus our draft class for which they only use a 1st round slot in the number.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/dallas-cowboys/

Plus of course any free agents we want to sign. We'll do some restructures (Martin, maybe Dak plus others) and cut some players to get under the cap of course with not too much of a problem but this is why we won't likely have both of Cooper and Gallup. When you need to trim cap it's best to do it at a position of strength. Cooper's $22M hit is the biggest for a WR in the NFL this year and 3rd highest in 2022 and whether we cut hm or not, his contract was structured so we can if we need to after this year. Unlike Tank ($19M dead money), Cooper ($6M) doesn't have a lot of dead money after this year. Really good player and a key player for us. But, if the team thinks Lamb, Gallup and Wilson plus others is good enough Coop may be a cap casualty.

I'm more wondering about 2023 and hoping the expected big cap increase kicks in to make it a moot point. We look ok just by the numbers but when you see that we only have 27 players signed and only one team is within $60M of us in cap space and 21 out of 32 have more than $100M more space than us it raises an eye brow. Also, any restructures we do in 2022 will make this number worse as the 22 restructures will move money back. Of course we will get under but the goal is to be able to sign some big free agents to improve the team, not just get under

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2023/

Last edited:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nobody knows what the Cap will be in 22. The Cowboys had a crazy cap situation in 21 as well. I remember some pundits say the Cowboys should drop the tag off of Dak for more cap space.:facepalm: The Cowboys could make three simple moves and they would be under the cap. I am not worried. I bet the person who wrote this did not take into account the cap savings on Jaylon.

https://www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2021/6/1/22462704/nfl-2022-salary-cap-ceiling-patriots

I’ll put down two for people talking like they ‘know things’ while showing from the jump that they don’t.

:facepalm::facepalm:

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Typical of the denialists.

Here’s the reality for you.

The 2022 cap is set at $208 million. That’s where these ACTUAL NUMBERS come from.

https://www.patspulpit.com/platform/amp/2021/6/1/22462704/nfl-2022-salary-cap-ceiling-patriots

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I go by spotrac even over OvertheCap. No clue about this red zone insider so I wouldn't use that number. With the expected cap increase to $208M it looks like we are somewhere around $9M over

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2022/

You also need to add to that number any of our free agents that we will want to retain. Gregory being the big one of course, but even a bunch of lower contracts and veteran minimums add up (we only have around 40 guys under contract for 2022). plus our draft class for which they only use a 1st round slot in the number.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/dallas-cowboys/

Plus of course any free agents we want to sign. We'll do some restructures (Martin, maybe Dak plus others) and cut some players to get under the cap of course with not too much of a problem but this is why we won't likely have both of Cooper and Gallup. When you need to trim cap it's best to do it at a position of strength. Cooper's $22M hit is the biggest for a WR in the NFL this year and 3rd highest in 2022 and whether we cut hm or not, his contract was structured so we can if we need to after this year. Unlike Tank ($19M dead money), Cooper ($6M) doesn't have a lot of dead money after this year. Really good player and a key player for us. But, if the team thinks Lamb, Gallup and Wilson plus others is good enough Coop may be a cap casualty.

I'm more wondering about 2023 and hoping the expected big cap increase kicks in to make it a moot point. We look ok just by the numbers but when you see that we only have 27 players signed and only one team is within $60M of us in cap space and 21 out of 32 have more than $100M more space than us it raises an eye brow. Also, any restructures we do in 2022 will make this number worse as the 22 restructures will move money back. Of course we will get under but the goal is to be able to sign some big free agents to improve the team, not just get under

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cap/2023/

It’s nice to see someone living in reality and actually putting in the work to support it.

Well done.
:thumbup:

Flamma

Reaction score

Don't go by that crap. That's an estimate if the team did absolutely nothing and paid everyone currently on the team face value for next year. Every team is different.

For example. Dak's contract was structured in a way to have him be an 18 million cap hit next year instead of 33 Mil. But we have to wait for that restructure to happen. That's 15 Mil right there with one move.

Flamma

Reaction score
LMAO at the NYG. Those Bozos actually paid that to get that? And they have a QB on his 1st contract.

I'm glad you pointed that out. You're right, Jones is still on a rookie deal. But the good news for their cap is they don't have to worry about extending Jones.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It is going up in 2022......now that the NFL has gone back to keeping the priority on sports rather than external issues....
I think it’s going up because of the TV deals and attendance lol…they still address the external issues.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think it’s going up because of the TV deals and attendance lol…they still address the external issues.

Yeah it should go up. But they may still owe money to the cap. They don't give us this information. They probably didn't take all of their losses back in 2021. That's probably being split up through multiple seasons.