Top Five Excites/Concerns about Cowboys 2020 season

Sydla

Reaction score
I'll focus on concerns. In no order:

- Internal OL, specifically LG and C
- RDE. Any thought of putting Crawford there is dumb. So that leaves Smith and Gregory. Not exactly great
- TE. People like Jarwin and he's flashed but a lot more pressure on him
- CB. I think people underestimated how good Jones was and how much he covered up
- LB. They stunk last year.

BermyStar

Reaction score
I scrolled all the way down to avoid being swayed by other's Excites / Concerns. Disclaimer I will not mention Covid-19 as I believe it can be assumed that is #1 for every fan league wide. I'll keep my list Cowboy centric.

Excites
1. Dak playing with a proverbial chip on his shoulder - I'm not his biggest fan nor his biggest detractor, I need to see more and I think (hope) he is capable. The team didn't tie themselves to him, for better or worse, so best case he balls out and is our QB for the next decade. Worst case he flops and maybe we go in a different direction.

2. Zeke's rude awakening - I am a huge Zeke fan and I think the chip on his shoulder may well be just as big. He is no longer the darling RB of the league and has caught shade from every direction this offseason. If he is half the competitor I think he is he's burning inside. No less then 5 RBs are mentioned before Zeke on a regular basis and many consider a different NFCE RB the best in the league! Let's go 21!

3. The weapons surrounding Dak. The OL can absolutely be a top 5 unit even with T-Fred's retirement, Zeke and Pollard can be a dangerous 1-2 punch if Zeke gets back to form. I think Jarwin is adequate to above average and that's really all you need out of him. The WR room is...well we all know. I wont say best in the league based on the promise of a rookie joining the ranks, but if he can produce YAC anything like he did in college he'll be a factor early on short, quick routes.

4. No JG on the sideline - As well as Rod & Richard. Change was long overdue. I hope I never see clapping on the sideline when the team make boneheaded mistakes again... better yet let's see a major reduction in boneheaded mistakes.

5. Defensive additions - The two big boys clogging the middle (at least) and getting penetration (at best) is going to really help Jay and LVE a great deal. I believe with all the question marks in the secondary those guys are gonna be fired up. I don't think any of the secondary positions are set in stone and if you can't get up and compete for a spot under those circumstances you ain't got that dog mentality...we'll see very quickly who does.

Concerns
1. Adjusting to a new system - There will be a lot to learn on both sides of the ball and the lack of preseason (I guess I couldn't completely avoid Rona after all) and a regular off season will only serve to amp up the difficulty level.

2. The team buying into their own hype - This has been something that has been mentioned in seasons past. I hope the new staff throw a heavy dose of water on that fire and make these guys realize they gotta work for it.

3. LVE's neck - If he's good to go the defense will be stout, but if that neck is an ongoing issue the defense is not nearly the same unit without him and we'd be in need of a replacement ASAP.

4. Forcing Offense - I like all the "Three 1,00 yard receiver talk", but I hope it doesn't get in anyone's head come game time. I hope Dak goes through his progressions as hits open receivers even if it means the big 3 don't look so big. Let's remember we have an animal in the backfield also dying to eat.

5. Kicker - Is Zuerlein still "Greg the Leg" or is he just "Greg"? Fingers crossed.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I used the original posts as a template.

Five things I am most EXCITED about in this Cowboys 2020 year:

1) A far better head coach than we've had for a decade
2) Seeing the contributions from what looks like a phenomenal draft class
3) Having a defense that isn't paint by numbers where opponents know what's coming
4) Seeing the competition among what looks like a deep and talented offensive line
5) Better assistants helping good players maximize their abilities

Five things I am most CONCERNED about in this Cowboys 2020 year:

1) Not having a normal offseason for the coaching transition and the new players to get acclimated
2) The question marks that are still at RDE
3) Hoping that Joe Philbin does a good job with this offensive line and builds on it rather than making big changes
4) Hoping that the linebackers can stay healthy
5) Why this team still has Crawford on the books for $9 million while other teams are making shrewd bargain signings

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Big Mike didn't delegate anything.

Jerry made that decision.
lol You keep on thinking that craziness if you want to. McCarthy is in charge of the football operations at the Star. He is responsible for this team's training camp program. And as an offensive mind, it's his offense that he is delegating to Kellen. Jerry is not even on the ground at training camp, he's upstairs in his office hiding from the coronavirus. If we are lucky enough to even have a football team to put out on the field in September, it will be because of Mike McCarthy.

BermyStar

Reaction score
I used the original posts as a template.

Five things I am most EXCITED about in this Cowboys 2020 year:

1) A far better head coach than we've had for a decade
2) Seeing the contributions from what looks like a phenomenal draft class
3) Having a defense that isn't paint by numbers where opponents know what's coming
4) Seeing the competition among what looks like a deep and talented offensive line
5) Better assistants helping good players maximize their abilities

Five things I am most CONCERNED about in this Cowboys 2020 year:

1) Not having a normal offseason for the coaching transition and the new players to get acclimated
2) The question marks that are still at RDE
3) Hoping that Joe Philbin does a good job with this offensive line and builds on it rather than making big changes
4) Hoping that the linebackers can stay healthy
5) Why this team still has Crawford on the books for $9 million while other teams are making shrewd bargain signings

Tyrone "Cookie Jar" Crawford... 9M is ludicrous for his contribution. Restructure or relocate.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'll focus on concerns. In no order:

- Internal OL, specifically LG and C
- RDE. Any thought of putting Crawford there is dumb. So that leaves Smith and Gregory. Not exactly great
- TE. People like Jarwin and he's flashed but a lot more pressure on him
- CB. I think people underestimated how good Jones was and how much he covered up
- LB. They stunk last year.

I think Edwards is helping with the LBs. He’s a great coach. It will help.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Excites:
  • New coaching staff
  • New d-line, secondary didn't improve much but who cares if we can kill the QB
  • Dak to Cooper, Gallup and CeeDee
  • a LEGIT backup QB again, save the 3rd spot for the prospect, get me a proven veteran
  • Football anything. Wasn't sure we were even going to have a season.
Worries:
  • Defense is different, but better on paper. A lot of aging or unproven FAs, injury issues.
  • Offensive line. Smith ain't going to last forever. Martin starting to show the wear and tear. Collins hurt. The other guys inconsistent.
  • Linebackers. Same reasons.
  • NFC East had the worst record of the divisions last year, but a lot of overhauls. New coaching staffs. Philly & Skins get their QBs back. Tough to predict the competition this year.
  • Coronavirus. A lot of players, coaches and staff in those locker rooms. All it takes is one and we lose half the roster that Sunday. And in general, how the NFL handles this.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Tyrone "Cookie Jar" Crawford... 9M is ludicrous for his contribution. Restructure or relocate.
You biggest worry is that a player makes too much...

Once the season starts, the amount players get paid is irrelevant.

BermyStar

Reaction score
You biggest worry is that a player makes too much...

Once the season starts, the amount players get paid is irrelevant.
My "biggest " worry. This was a response to a comment. This never even made my list.