News: Top Free Agents Remaining

Big_D

Reaction score
They have over $12 million in cap now. Plus an additional $10.9 come June 1st. Their 2023 rookies are projected to count about $4.88 million against the offseason.

Should give them around $18 million come June
Thanks for the info! So roughly 13 million to shore up any problem areas.

exciter

Reaction score
Don't the Cowboys free up a few bucks June 1st?
Uh yeah, that’s where the money for the Diggs, Lamb and Dak extension, along with the current extra cap, talk is coming from!

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I predict that once Teddy. Bridgewater is signed the FO will announce that there aren’t any good options to sign a backup quarterback so they can justify their next dumpster diver qb signing…..if they sign one at all
They just gave Rush a back up QB contract

Robster8989

Reaction score
Sadly, I don't think we will be very active, though we do have some money available.
As Exciter said above though, I think they want to carry money over for extensions for Diggs, CeeDee and Dak,
There are still ways to open up even more cap.
Pollard could be signed, lowering his 10 mil deal significantly.
Lewis could be released, saving close to 5.
A Gallimore release would fee up about 3.
An Armstrong extension could lower his number as well, as could Kearse and Hooker extensions.

The team seams content at OL, which concerns me. I still really wanted Torrence in the draft.
Wynn is intriging, I liked him in that draft (the year we got Conor Williams), and felt he could have become a power guard, but he no longer has that potential IMO. He is what he is at this point. Risner is a solid G, I just don't see us signing him.

I also am surprised we didn't get a big RB, as they were so plentiful in the draft. Thought we'd get one of Charbonnet, Bigsby, Evans, Miller, Johnson etc.
Nothing against the Deuce, I'll be rooting for him, just felt we needed a complement to Pollard that was big and powerful.

Jipper

Reaction score
Yep. You could throw 3-5 million at Risner and 3-5 at Gould and have money to spare.
Was listening to the fan today and both sound like bad options....Gould can't kick over 50 and missed 4 of 11 between 40 and 49 last year...risner is classified as a declining player albeit one with a perfect starting record aka no games missed.

I think both are probably hard passes

cowboyec

Reaction score
i wanted isaiah wynn in that draft.
good player.
i'd love to see him here.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Despite the fact the FO has had a pretty decently active off season, I still some concern about them still holding onto a “best case scenario” approach to the roster instead of preparing for a worst case.

Like in 2018 when we entered the season with an obvious lack of talent and depth at receiver, forcing the Amari Cooper trade. Then last year repeating that mistake by not replacing Cooper’s talent and impact after he was traded.

Unless something changes (and it still can) we head into 2023 with not enough depth at OL and a lack of punch at RB. Even a best case scenario of no injuries to anyone still leaves us inadequate at RB and OL depth. We don’t need big names there, just competent backups that can contribute when needed.

Maybe Waletzko and Asim Richards and Chuma Edoga can be those OLguys we need. But that’s best case scenario stuff. Maybe Ronald Jones, Deuce and Malik Davis are enough to support Pollard. Maybe. IMO, Good GMs don't leave that much to chance.
Hunter is growing on me though in the backfield.

But the Oline I feel is a disaster in the making. Always one monster mistake the FO makes to ruin our chances.

Remember 2017 when they never thought Zeke would get suspended and they had only the old Morris at RB? Same year our backup tackle was the horrid Chaz Green?

shabazz

Reaction score
They just gave Rush a back up QB contract
I know that but I’m not sold on him as a true #2 backup. He did a decent job but his physical limitations are an issue. I would have liked to see a potential starter drafted at the QB position but it’s not gonna happen.

Dak increased injury bug and his penchant for throwing picks better get this FO on the ball soon while the NFC is relatively weak and winnable

Motorola

Reaction score
I predict that once Teddy. Bridgewater is signed the FO will announce that there aren’t any good options to sign a backup quarterback so they can justify their next dumpster diver qb signing…..if they sign one at all
Dallas is rolling into 2023 with Rush and Grier as the backups.
Could see them signing a camp arm (possibly from the XFL or USFL).

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Considering the war room clip that came out of the 1st round where they were apparently debating between Smith and Bergeron and McClay could be heard saying something along the lines of “we have good depth at guard” I’ll be surprised if another free agent is signed. Not saying I agree, but it definitely falls in line with the “we like our guys” mentality of this organization.

I wouldn’t hate bringing John Johnson tho. Im not sure who our backup FS is in the event of a Hooker injury.
Mukuamu.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Despite the fact the FO has had a pretty decently active off season, I still have some concern about them holding onto a “best case scenario” approach to the roster instead of preparing for a worst case.

Like in 2018 when we entered the season with an obvious lack of talent and depth at receiver, forcing the Amari Cooper trade. Then last year repeating that mistake by not replacing Cooper’s talent and impact after he was traded.

Unless something changes (and it still can) we head into 2023 with not enough depth at OL and a lack of punch at RB. Even a best case scenario of no injuries to anyone still leaves us inadequate at RB and OL depth. We don’t need big names there, just competent backups that can contribute when needed.

Maybe Waletzko and Asim Richards and Chuma Edoga can be those OLguys we need. But that’s best case scenario stuff. Maybe Ronald Jones, Deuce and Malik Davis are enough to support Pollard. Maybe. IMO, Good GMs don't leave that much to chance.
A good GM?
What's that look like?
In all fairness, Jerry has done a decent job so far this year.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Hunter is growing on me though in the backfield.

But the Oline I feel is a disaster in the making. Always one monster mistake the FO makes to ruin our chances.

Remember 2017 when they never thought Zeke would get suspended and they had only the old Morris at RB? Same year our backup tackle was the horrid Chaz Green?
Stop! You are giving me PTSD flashbacks!

Knotamus

Reaction score
I’m not arguing one way or the other..

The the FO basically told us what the plan on doing with the extra cap space.. they recent stated they are going to focus on contract extensions

visionary

Reaction score
Most glaring needs remaining

1. Kicker. A run heavy team needs points and field position
2. Back up RB. A run heavy team can’t have nothing behind a starter who won’t last 10 games at the lead back
3. LG. One OL like Tyron goes fine and we will be struggling

Mr_437

Reaction score
I feel as tho these concerns will be met after training camp if they are not settled thru competition and guys stepping up.
LG will probably be Tyler Smith, so you'd look for the development of Waletzko in case Tyron is injured, and Edoga if Tyler goes back to LT.
At, RB it will be a committee, so look at the cluster of RBs development and not just one guy. I have no issues right now where they stand as a group, and I don't believe there's a FA that will just take them over the top.
They'll find a Kicker.