Top needs - what's your take?

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
I think our top needs are clearly TE and S. We could use a CB and a WR if Beezy doesn't resign. Wouldn't be against some depth at LB, our DTs seem to be able to step up at will.

The catalyst here is Fred, if he is done, then o-line becomes our top need.

Also would like a developmental QB because Rush and White just haven't shown much of anything, the monster of 6'7 Tyree Jackson out of Buffalo is my pick here.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Big, athletic Tight Ends are such game changers. It's hard to find a defensive player big enough and athletic enough to cover them.

kiheikiwi

Maui No Ka Oi
Reaction score
I wrote in one of the threads yesterday, that I think we have 3 main needs. An talented athletic TE, A talented real Free Safety, and a talented Big man at the 1-tech.
Our problem will be how to acquire them: My thought was and is, the front office will have to step outside their comfort zone and spend some money in Free Agency. It will probably be easier to acquire and TE and Safety in F.A. than the Draft this year. (Being we have no 1st rounder to draft one of them with, and am very happy with the price for Cooper).
We have a bunch of guys to re-sign this off-season, but they also have been frugal and have some money - so …..
This draft is being talked about as a massive year for Defensive line, with our second round pick we should still be able to find a starting 1-tech to beef up the front. I do like Antwan Woods, he has good size - so, get a more talented big man and rotate Woods in with him. Collins at the 3-tech and with the D.E.'s we have our line is instantly more stout.

Hardline

Reaction score
A TE is a need right now but I'm not taking one if there is a better position prospect on the board.
I was really wanting Noah Fant he is a potential mid to late first rounder.
Maybe Camron Brate from Tampa can be signed.
Saftey might be solved with an Earl Thomas signing.
I dont know what mid second round DT that might be there but can't overlook them either.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
A TE is a need right now but I'm not taking one if there is a better position prospect on the board.
I was really wanting Noah Fant he is a potential mid to late first rounder.
Maybe Camron Brate from Tampa can be signed.
Saftey might be solved with an Earl Thomas signing.
I dont know what mid second round DT that might be there but can't overlook them either.
Agreed.

I do think we make a run at ET and his price likely dropped after the injury.

If we land ET, I say TE is our top need. DT is interesting, because we can use a fixture there, but we also have practice squad players coming in and crushing it. If there is a guy they like, then that's the play.

TE / S are musts, everything else is gravy.

Biggest potential concern is if Fred is done for good. Then o-line is #1 need.

If Beezy leaves, would like to see us grab a slot guy.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
With the Cowboys not having a first-round pick, and them having money to spend I think they will address many of the issues stated above especially if they clear up money as expected in FA.

1st guys to be cut:
Terrence Williams, , Allan Hurns, Joe Thomas, Parker Ehinger.
Guys who might get cut
Sean Lee: with the emergence of LVE, Jaylon Smith, and Lee's inability to stay healthy I can see them doing what they did with Ware and cut him and go younger. $9.979 million in savings.
Tyrone Crawford: Not really a scheme fit, bloated contract and isn't living up to the price tag. $12.9 million in savings

Total of $22.879 in savings which with some cap rollover should put us in $70 million to spend.
Plus there will be some other cuts as they churn the roster a bit to clear up some more cap space.

With 2 players I think they are going to re-sign.
D-Law is a no-brainer and this will get done soon IMO.
Tavon Austin I think they like his versatility and speed element and might be the replacement to Beasley.

Maybe Re-Sign.
Cole Beasley: I could see them re-signing him, but IDK how cheap it will be and they could focus elsewhere considering these slot WR's seem to be found all over the draft.
David Irving has really killed his FA Value and could be a guy they re-sign if they feel it's worth the headache.

FA to keep your eye on
S: Earl Thomas, Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Tyran Mathieu, Tre Boston are all FS type that can come up and play in the nickel which the Cowboys covet, but also have the range to play single high.

Landon Collins: If they feel Woods is their FS and need a S with some range and can play the box.

They will go and find some other guys to add to the roster, but I think they will be a player for a decent sized contract or two before the draft.

If they get a S they will need to draft a DT (which is stacked and run deep into day), a playmaking TE (I think might be #1 on their list), and add depth throughout the roster.

Many have mentioned o-line as a high priority, but unless an injury or something changes over the next few weeks I don't see it. Xavier Su'a-Filo, and Looney are signed through next year, and they will probably address the swing tackle in FA.

Let me know what you think.

cnuball21

Reaction score
With the Cowboys not having a first-round pick, and them having money to spend I think they will address many of the issues stated above especially if they clear up money as expected in FA.

1st guys to be cut:
Guys who might get cut
Sean Lee: with the emergence of LVE, Jaylon Smith, and Lee's inability to stay healthy I can see them doing what they did with Ware and cut him and go younger. $9.979 million in savings.
Tyrone Crawford: Not really a scheme fit, bloated contract and isn't living up to the price tag. $12.9 million in savings

Total of $22.879 in savings which with some cap rollover should put us in $70 million to spend.
Plus there will be some other cuts as they churn the roster a bit to clear up some more cap space.

Tavon Austin I think they like his versatility and speed element and might be the replacement to Beasley.

Maybe Re-Sign.
Cole Beasley: I could see them re-signing him, but IDK how cheap it will be and they could focus elsewhere considering these slot WR's seem to be found all over the draft.
David Irving has really killed his FA Value and could be a guy they re-sign if they feel it's worth the headache.

FA to keep your eye on
S: Earl Thomas, Ha Ha Clinton Dix, Tyran Mathieu, Tre Boston are all FS type that can come up and play in the nickel which the Cowboys covet, but also have the range to play single high.

Landon Collins: If they feel Woods is their FS and need a S with some range and can play the box.

They will go and find some other guys to add to the roster, but I think they will be a player for a decent sized contract or two before the draft.

If they get a S they will need to draft a DT (which is stacked and run deep into day), a playmaking TE (I think might be #1 on their list), and add depth throughout the roster.

Many have mentioned o-line as a high priority, but unless an injury or something changes over the next few weeks I don't see it. Xavier Su'a-Filo, and Looney are signed through next year, and they will probably address the swing tackle in FA.

I know TC makes good money, but I’d be careful to let him go considering our lack of talent in the DL and his versatility.

gmoney112

Reaction score
Top needs = TE, S, and DT

I'd sign ET and Landon Collins on top of DLaw and a short term deal for Irving.

Then I'd sign Bennie Logan and a pro at TE.

I'd be looking at BPA in the draft obviously, but a talented young TE would be there in the 2nd, or I'd take a DT or another WR with that pick.

That'd give us an incredible secondary, a stout front, and better talent at TE with added options in the passing game.

RS12

Reaction score

1st guys to be cut:
Guys who might get cut

Maybe Re-Sign.

FA to keep your eye on

Dont agree they will resign Austin or Irving. Austin has never been able to stay healthy, and Irving has never been able to be counted on.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
1st guys to be cut:

Why cut Ehinger? The FO is supposedly really high on him and only carries a $720k 2019 cap hit.

Yikes, I didn't realize cutting Joe Thomas saves $2M in cap room next year. If Sean Lee goes, they might keep Thomas as dependable insurance.

cnuball21

Reaction score
Top needs = TE, S, and DT

I'd sign ET and Landon Collins on top of DLaw and a short term deal for Irving.

Then I'd sign Bennie Logan and a pro at TE.

I'd be looking at BPA in the draft obviously, but a talented young TE would be there in the 2nd, or I'd take a DT or another WR with that pick.

That'd give us an incredible secondary, a stout front, and better talent at TE with added options in the passing game.

And with having to sign Lawrence and BJ, and Zeke and maybe Dak around the corner where I’m the world is that money coming from?

star-ving

Reaction score
I like a Brate or Eiffert in FA.

Don't see Landon Collins signing here. ET seems likely.

Hunter Renfro looks intriguing middle rounds if Beasley's price is too high.

Dez would complement Cooper nicely but that's more like one in a million.

Best DT or OT with our 2nd rounder.

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
New Offensive Scheme that fits the players strengths and some creativity to go with it...

1-Tech
Safety
3-Tech
LB
WR

cheyennes

Reaction score
OL; Fred and Tyron problems
TE pass catcher and he can block
Fs and a lb. we only have 2