CFZ Toughness is needed. Let’s draft for it

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t agree
All NFL players are physically and mentally tough or they wouldn’t be here
The difference comes from further development once they get to the organization and what culture they are exposed to. That comes from the GM, the HC and the QB
We can draft all the “tough” players we want they will become entitled and soft once they get here
I agree that all NFL players are tough. But what I’m talking about is collective toughness as a team.

visionary

Reaction score
I agree that all NFL players are tough. But what I’m talking about is collective toughness as a team.

as I said, that comes from your leadership and the culture they create, it is not in a vacuum. To me the GM, HC and QB set the tone of the culture and we have a soft entitled culture

that won’t change by drafting tough players

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
as I said, that comes from your leadership and the culture they create, it is not in a vacuum. To me the GM, HC and QB set the tone of the culture and we have a soft entitled culture

that won’t change by drafting tough players
I agree. Having toughness as a team is more than just individual players. I also believe very strongly you can’t be physically tough if you’re getting pushed around. And you can’t be mentally tough when you know you can’t control the los. When a team can control the line of scrimmage- on either side of the ball- it can impose its will on the opponent.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
women beats aren't tough in the locker room, they're tough at the house beating up on their spouses.
how bout dem cowboys? Ratliff got tough and got canned. hardy was getting tough slapping some clipboards and got gone. anybody saying dak sucks gets gone. Dez, Cooper, Beasley, and probably colins. you got to be sensitive to be a cowboys player.
throw in a couple of crackheads and yeah. team wins.

Last edited:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score

As I said, I don't think you can call a team tough or not simply because it's a collection of individuals.

That'd be like saying Ford Motor Company makes slow cars. A Pinto was slow but a Mustang was not.

May be a matter of semantics, but I stand by my statement...

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
The tiktok generation and toughness? good luck
toughness is a mindset not just physical and with the way this club is structured there is no place for that

plasticman

Reaction score
I can't help thinking of that movie "The Longest Yard" where Burt Reynolds is just looking for guys that want to hurt the guards.

The Cowboys had some nasty dudes like Gogan, Newton, Williams, Maryland, Haley, Woodson, Norton.....they scared opponents.

Jimmy's strategy was pretty much no strategy. We are bigger stronger, meaner......we're just going to push you out of the way, it really doesn't even matter if you know our plays, there's nothing you can do about it.

Lol, I remember our guards in SB 30. Both of the Steeler OLBers, Greene and Lloyd were 1st team All Pro and Newton and Allen just mowed them down like weeds. Look at their history after that game, they were never the same again.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
As I said, I don't think you can call a team tough or not simply because it's a collection of individuals.

That'd be like saying Ford Motor Company makes slow cars. A Pinto was slow but a Mustang was not.

May be a matter of semantics, but I stand by my statement...
Don’t disagree. But I believe there’s two kinds of toughness- individual and collective. You can have some tough individual hombres, but if the combination of players as a team do not translate into a team toughness- mentally and physically- your team cannot be tough.

I agree that to play in this league, a player must be a very tough individual to begin with. But collectively as a whole, there must also be toughness. That’s why football is a team sport. And the best TEAMS win, not the best collection of individuals.

FiveSuperBowls

Reaction score
Jason Garrett built a tough offense line, but Marinille could not counter it on the defensive side of the ball, he was too focused on blitzing defensive ends that didn’t Pan out.

This team has not had a dominant defensive tackle in decades.

sbark

Reaction score
Don’t disagree. But I believe there’s two kinds of toughness- individual and collective. You can have some tough individual hombres, but if the combination of players as a team do not translate into a team toughness- mentally and physically- your team cannot be tough.

I agree that to play in this league, a player must be a very tough individual to begin with. But collectively as a whole, there must also be toughness. That’s why football is a team sport. And the best TEAMS win, not the best collection of individuals.
When jimmie injected a indv tough guy c.haley, in the 90's, the collective got got tougher as a whole.

Parsons the candidate, even d law said as much..

Rayman70

Reaction score
iu
I agree. Toughness is needed.:omg:

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
a player must be a very tough individual to begin with.

Not to berate the subject, but just how do you have a team of "tough individuals" but the team isn't tough?

I really think that's a pretty nebulous term to begin with. If Dallas had won the SB last year, with all the same players would they then be a tough team? Just by virtue of the win? They'd have to be, right? That's how you define the term apparently. Tough teams win SBs and if you don't you're not tough.

And probably we'd not be having this conversation if Dallas had won it all.

It's a matter of perception, imho. I'm sure some will disagree, but that's fine, we all have our opinions....

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
I can't help thinking of that movie "The Longest Yard" where Burt Reynolds is just looking for guys that want to hurt the guards.

The Cowboys had some nasty dudes like Gogan, Newton, Williams, Maryland, Haley, Woodson, Norton.....they scared opponents.

Jimmy's strategy was pretty much no strategy. We are bigger stronger, meaner......we're just going to push you out of the way, it really doesn't even matter if you know our plays, there's nothing you can do about it.

Lol, I remember our guards in SB 30. Both of the Steeler OLBers, Greene and Lloyd were 1st team All Pro and Newton and Allen just mowed them down like weeds. Look at their history after that game, they were never the same again.

To me this was the strategy, and Jimmy claims this, the league was going small and fast on D so he went huge on the Oline and it worked....of course there is a history of this throughout the league...offense goes fast defense goes fast offense changes back to big, so on and so on..

jrumann59

Reaction score
toughness is a mindset, you have to keep it at the next level if the staff does not preach and teach it a tough college kid will become soft at the next level.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score

Great post, Mental Toughness, we seem to be in a 26 year cycle of shrinking in big moments for sure.......

Hadenough

Reaction score
I watch all the NFL games on the weekends not just Dallas games. You see the players on other teams and man some of these guys look like they ex cons. They just look tough. Baltimore back in their day go back and look at their defensive players and they look like a bunch of convicts. Jerry doesn't like players that have attitude and could speak out. I think that's why he never made an offer to the Jets for Leonard Williams like he should have. They draft too many nice guys.

IceStar-D7

Reaction score
You want the opposite of what Jerry and the gang do. Love your post but it's going into Clueless ears.....per Jerry and the gang. Our head coaches aren't even tough. How can the players be????????//