Trade Amari This Offseason?

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I can't believe I'm typing this but I think it's time to trade him. Gallup has WR1 traits. Cee Dee does as well. Cedric Wilson seems poised to be a good WR3. They are all on their rookie deals. Gallup gonna need a new contract and we know eventually Cee Dee gonna get a big 2nd contract.

Love Coop but at $20M I am expecting more from him. His knick knack injuries are starting to pile up. Not sure what the Cowboys can get for him, but trading him should be explored this offseason or sooner.

Thoughts?
Thoughts? That's the problem, too much thinking around here.

Cowboy4ever

Reaction score
Looks like a dead cap hit of $28 million in 2021 according to that listing.

I don't think so. If you TRADE him, the gtd salary goes to the new team. The remaining portion of the SB is accelerated to the cap. So it would be an 8million dead money cap hit and a savings of 14million against what he would cost to play here (22million). I could be wrong but I think that is how it goes if traded. If cut, then the whole thing accelerates unless its a June 1 Cut.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think so. If you TRADE him, the gtd salary goes to the new team. The remaining portion of the SB is accelerated to the cap. So it would be an 8million dead money cap hit and a savings of 14million against what he would cost to play here (22million). I could be wrong but I think that is how it goes if traded. If cut, then the whole thing accelerates unless its a June 1 Cut.

Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to that. But I don't know why Spotrac would have that $28 million listed if it wouldn't apply? If it's not truly guaranteed from the Cowboys, I don't see why it would be listed under 'dead cap'?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is the typical reaction that invokes the Cooper Response. This same thing would happen in OAK and they'd be all about Crabtree, Seth Roberts and Cordarelle Patterson and then Cooper would show up.

I can tell ya, he was feast or famine for Fantasy ball and the matchups wouldn't matter. He'd be this uncontrollable force on the field....or not, 3 or 4 for 38 yards.

Cooper operates better with a run game and so do the Cowboys.

With the attention Gallup and Lamb are drawing, I am waiting for Cooper to have "that game" and reassert himself into the top 10 WRs in the league.

The question is will Dalton see him as his #1, it is the usual for the backup to come into the lineup favoring a WR other than the #1 because of his experience and practice with the other WR's. Moore must re-establish Cooper as the #1 target and Cooper must catch everything thrown his way to keep it that way. Those 2 back to back catches Gallup made were special and Dalton be lovin' him some of that.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If we could, I'd be all for it.
I think Amari turned down the Washington Football Team even though they offered more money because he likes our soft culture.
This team is soft from the owner on down.
When you find a soft culture that won't push you but will reward you handsomely, you don't just leave it.
Amari did just enough to secure his contract. He's likely mailed it in. Take care of your body. Make a few plays. Retire with mucho bank.

Plankton

Reaction score
Your guess is as good as mine when it comes to that. But I don't know why Spotrac would have that $28 million listed if it wouldn't apply? If it's not truly guaranteed from the Cowboys, I don't see why it would be listed under 'dead cap'?

His 2020 and 2021 salaries are fully guaranteed for injury and skill. He had a $10M signing bonus when he signed the contract. The reason why Spotrac would have the $28M as dead cap is because the remainder of the unamortized bonus ($8M) and the guaranteed salary ($20M) for 2021 would be the Cowboys responsibility if they cut him. If Cooper is traded, the Cowboys would have an $8M cap hit for his remaining bonus, but his salary guarantee would transfer to his new team.

That being said, no one will trade for a $20M guarantee on a good, but not great receiver.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
According to Over-the-Cap, trading Amari next year would SAVE almost $14M in Cap Space.

BigStar

Stop chasing
Reaction score
We just signed him this past offseason. I don’t see how they can. I’m sure had they known they were going to be gifted Lamb they would have made other plans.

Having said that, Coops route running ability is what keeps DC’s up at night. Don’t be fooled, he’s awesome.
They would've looked bad if we didn't land Lamb and lost Cooper to WAS. I was for the re-signing too, but it does look like Lamb and Gallup should be our 1 and 2; use that cap room elsewhere until we need to resign Gallup. Doubt we can do that this off season, but maybe next. Coop is a talent though, one of these good problems to have.

kskboys

Reaction score
If his salary could go w/ the trade, I would. It's not about how good Amari is, it's about the fact that we are going nowhere until we fix the D. If his salary went w/ him, that 20 mil could be used on a big nasty D player, one that would truly improve our team.

If his salary gets dumped into next season, nope.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I can't believe I'm typing this but I think it's time to trade him. Gallup has WR1 traits. Cee Dee does as well. Cedric Wilson seems poised to be a good WR3. They are all on their rookie deals. Gallup gonna need a new contract and we know eventually Cee Dee gonna get a big 2nd contract.

Love Coop but at $20M I am expecting more from him. His knick knack injuries are starting to pile up. Not sure what the Cowboys can get for him, but trading him should be explored this offseason or sooner.

Thoughts?

He is on pace for 1600 yards so I have no issue with the production and add to that we have 2 other top WR and only 1 ball. Having said that I can't say I would or would not trade any player, it really depends on what is being offered. As for trading because of his play? sorry I don't have an issue with that.

kskboys

Reaction score
That's what I would've thought.

Why would his salary not go to the team who traded for him? I mean, I get that we have to pay the remaining signing bonus. But, why would we have to pay his salary? That wouldn't make sense to me.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If his salary could go w/ the trade, I would. It's not about how good Amari is, it's about the fact that we are going nowhere until we fix the D. If his salary went w/ him, that 20 mil could be used on a big nasty D player, one that would truly improve our team.

If his salary gets dumped into next season, nope.
There ya go again, assuming they would do what the smart money says to do.

John813

Reaction score
Looks like a dead cap hit of $28 million in 2021 according to that listing.

On the spotrac link, click the 28mil dead cap figure.
It'll pop up a breakdown of if he is cut pre 6/1, post June 1st, and the cap hits if traded.
fefdvfdv.jpg

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His 2020 and 2021 salaries are fully guaranteed for injury and skill. He had a $10M signing bonus when he signed the contract. The reason why Spotrac would have the $28M as dead cap is because the remainder of the unamortized bonus ($8M) and the guaranteed salary ($20M) for 2021 would be the Cowboys responsibility if they cut him. If Cooper is traded, the Cowboys would have an $8M cap hit for his remaining bonus, but his salary guarantee would transfer to his new team.

That being said, no one will trade for a $20M guarantee on a good, but not great receiver.

That makes sense all around to me, thanks!
:thumbup:

And I think you're completely right in that I can't see a team giving up much of value to take on a contract that pays that much. Certainly not enough for the team to take the drop in talent for it.

kskboys

Reaction score
That makes sense all around to me, thanks!
:thumbup:

And I think you're completely right in that I can't see a team giving up much of value to take on a contract that pays that much. Certainly not enough for the team to take the drop in talent for it.
If we got rid of Coop, it would be more of a salary dump than anything. However, there's some teams who could seriously use him, so it would be interesting to see if someone would bite.

Texans? Ravens? SEA? Packers? Just throwing out some names.