Trade Back Thoughts

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I hope at least 1 of those QB's falls and someone is enamored with him and we can trade back.
A lot of people are not high on next year's QB class, and it might drive that market to get your QB this year vs hoping for a good class in 2 years. So the market for QB and the value of your pick might be higher this year if a team is looking to come up and get one. The Cowboys might be in a hot spot where 1 or 2 QB's might be left, and a bunch of teams behind them might look to get in the QB market.

Trade back options for teams needing a QB.
12: 49ers are a team that feel like they are a QB away, and have contracts due for extensions in the next couple of years. A rookie QB will allow them to re-sign their own, and keep that window open for at least another 4 years.
15: Patriots are not known to trade up, but they saw what life is like without Brady so maybe going out and getting another QB to build the next dynasty for McDaniels as HC.
18: Dolphins might not be sold on Tua, and having many picks in this draft including 2 1st they might make a gamble to get another QB to battle it out for the next QB.
19: Commanders have a legit defense, but need a QB do they move up to get a QB and free up money to re-sign some of those d-line studs in the future.
20: Bears do they stay with Mitch, or do they move on and go up to get a QB?
21: Colts have a great defense, solid playmakers, but need a QB especially if Rivers retires.
23: If the Jets don't take a QB at 2 maybe they look to move up from the 23rd pick to get their QB of the future if they do not intend to keep Darnold.
This might be interesting if the Cowboys can't come to an agreement with Dak, trade the 10th pick for the 23rd, Darnold, and maybe a 2nd or 3rd. Then try to move Dak in a separate trade.
24: Steelers after their playoff loss, and Ben looking awful it would be interesting to see if the Steelers draft a QB to groom to be Bens replacement.
29: Saints need a QB, Brees looks like he is finished in the NFL and how confident do they feel with Tayson Hill being their QB.

If you are a captain trade back type of guy this might be a great scenario.

Shadowfax

Reaction score
A lot of options. It all depends on who the Cowboys are targeting and when they think he would be available. It is always nice to pick up extra draft capital, but not at the expense of losing your guy.

fivetwos

Reaction score
If anything with 10 picks they ought to look at dealing UP.

The 4th and 5th rounders in a very deep draft were either totally blown or they didn't want to trust them.

I don't want a 2009 repeat.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
If anything with 10 picks they ought to look at dealing UP.

The 4th and 5th rounders in a very deep draft were either totally blown or they didn't want to trust them.

I don't want a 2009 repeat.

The thing with this draft is it's more of a core building draft not a game-changer type of draft.
This will be a draft filled with a bunch of guys who you can build with, although not many you build around.
Strengths of the draft
QB
WR
OT
CB
Middle of the pack
RB
TE
OG
DE
LB
The weakness of the draft
C
DT
S
If we can add some more day 2 pick by trading back we can address some glaring needs like OT, CB, LB, and DE early in the draft while also adding some more number to those positions and other.
Lets say we traded with the Commanders 10 for 19, 51, and 114
Mini Mock
19: Jaycee Horn CB USCe
44: Jay Tufele DT USC
51: Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame
75: Jaelan Phillips DE Miami
Comp 3rd: Baron Browning LB Ohio St
Plus you would have a bunch of day 3 picks to move around and play around with.

J-man

Reaction score
Lets say we traded with the Commanders 10 for 19, 51, and 114
Mini Mock
19: Jaycee Horn CB USCe
44: Jay Tufele DT USC
51: Liam Eichenberg OT Notre Dame
75: Jaelan Phillips DE Miami
Comp 3rd: Baron Browning LB Ohio St

Plus you would have a bunch of day 3 picks to move around and play around with.

I don't necessarily agree or disagree with a lot of what you said above, but I like your trade down and your picks in that scenario.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
I like the thought, and that mock, but I doubt one of the QBs is going to be there. Detroit, Carolina and ATL all pick ahead of Dallas, so if a team wants a guy, they're going to have to get ahead of them. Don't see why a team would say "We're willing to trade up to 10 for Lance, but not willing to trade up to 6 for him."

I do think a team could trade up for Pitts or a WR though.

Carter

Reaction score
I hope at least 1 of those QB's falls and someone is enamored with him and we can trade back.
A lot of people are not high on next year's QB class, and it might drive that market to get your QB this year vs hoping for a good class in 2 years. So the market for QB and the value of your pick might be higher this year if a team is looking to come up and get one. The Cowboys might be in a hot spot where 1 or 2 QB's might be left, and a bunch of teams behind them might look to get in the QB market.

Trade back options for teams needing a QB.
12: 49ers are a team that feel like they are a QB away, and have contracts due for extensions in the next couple of years. A rookie QB will allow them to re-sign their own, and keep that window open for at least another 4 years.
15: Patriots are not known to trade up, but they saw what life is like without Brady so maybe going out and getting another QB to build the next dynasty for McDaniels as HC.
18: Dolphins might not be sold on Tua, and having many picks in this draft including 2 1st they might make a gamble to get another QB to battle it out for the next QB.
19: Commanders have a legit defense, but need a QB do they move up to get a QB and free up money to re-sign some of those d-line studs in the future.
20: Bears do they stay with Mitch, or do they move on and go up to get a QB?
21: Colts have a great defense, solid playmakers, but need a QB especially if Rivers retires.
23: If the Jets don't take a QB at 2 maybe they look to move up from the 23rd pick to get their QB of the future if they do not intend to keep Darnold.
This might be interesting if the Cowboys can't come to an agreement with Dak, trade the 10th pick for the 23rd, Darnold, and maybe a 2nd or 3rd. Then try to move Dak in a separate trade.
24: Steelers after their playoff loss, and Ben looking awful it would be interesting to see if the Steelers draft a QB to groom to be Bens replacement.
29: Saints need a QB, Brees looks like he is finished in the NFL and how confident do they feel with Tayson Hill being their QB.

If you are a captain trade back type of guy this might be a great scenario.

If Miami wants to get a new QB they can just take one with the 3rd overall Pick and keep the 18th Pick. I for one think they go with Tua again and let him have a full season to see if hes all that. They will take Penei Sewell with the 3rd to protect him or the best WR on the Board to give him a weapon.

Jets will take Justin Fields with the 2nd overall.

The rest might look for a QB and trade-up but theres always been a lot of talk with trades before the Draft and the last few drafts saw very little action.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I like the thought, and that mock, but I doubt one of the QBs is going to be there. Detroit, Carolina and ATL all pick ahead of Dallas, so if a team wants a guy, they're going to have to get ahead of them. Don't see why a team would say "We're willing to trade up to 10 for Lance, but not willing to trade up to 6 for him."

I do think a team could trade up for Pitts or a WR though.

It will be interesting what a team like Detroit and Atlanta do with older QB's on decent-sized deals and both getting new HC's.
Both could use a blow-up of the roster and a rebuild, although you could argue that Atlanta is stuck with Ryan so do they address other parts of their team while Julio and Ryan are still on the books. Atlanta could use some o-line help and help on defense.
Detroit that ownership needs to buy into a rebuild and honestly they should have tried to trade Galloday and whatever pieces they had to help with a rebuild.
Galloday, and Marvin Jones are FA so the WR position is going to be interesting for them.
Staffords deal is something they could save money on, and maybe trading him if they blow the thing up is a good option. I could see the 49ers being a good option for the Lions in a Stafford trade.
I think Detroit is one team to keep our eyes on this off-season.
Carolina with Ruhle being a hard nosed football coach he is going to go after o-line or defense in the draft unless a QB like Fields or Wilson falls.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
If Miami wants to get a new QB they can just take one with the 3rd overall Pick and keep the 18th Pick. I for one think they go with Tua again and let him have a full season to see if hes all that. They will take Penei Sewell with the 3rd to protect him or the best WR on the Board to give him a weapon.

Jets will take Justin Fields with the 2nd overall.

The rest might look for a QB and trade-up but theres always been a lot of talk with trades before the Draft and the last few drafts saw very little action.

Miami has so many picks, and if they want to sure up their line, and get a Sewell if he isn't gone yet then they can look to move up with their 2nd 1st and get a guy and it wouldn't be like they are totally throwing a top 5 pick away if it doesn't pan out. If Sewell has the career we think he will and if they made a move up to get a QB and it doesn't work nobody will remember that move. Now if they do it with #3 they will get crushed by everyone.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It will be interesting what a team like Detroit and Atlanta do with older QB's on decent-sized deals and both getting new HC's.
Both could use a blow-up of the roster and a rebuild, although you could argue that Atlanta is stuck with Ryan so do they address other parts of their team while Julio and Ryan are still on the books. Atlanta could use some o-line help and help on defense.
Detroit that ownership needs to buy into a rebuild and honestly they should have tried to trade Galloday and whatever pieces they had to help with a rebuild.
Galloday, and Marvin Jones are FA so the WR position is going to be interesting for them.
Staffords deal is something they could save money on, and maybe trading him if they blow the thing up is a good option. I could see the 49ers being a good option for the Lions in a Stafford trade.
I think Detroit is one team to keep our eyes on this off-season.
Carolina with Ruhle being a hard nosed football coach he is going to go after o-line or defense in the draft unless a QB like Fields or Wilson falls.
DET - saves $20m by designating Stafford as a post-June 1 cut and needs an overhaul everywhere.
CAR - Bridgewater is only under contract for two more years - easy to cut after 2021 - but isn't particularly good anyway
ATL - Stuck with Ryan for probably two more seasons, but Lance is going to have to sit that long anyway, most likely.

NFL teams are generally stupid, but all 3 would be really stupid to pass on one of the QBs. But regardless of that, the fact that it's a need for all of them means that teams like SF or NE will need to jump them to get a QB, so 10 wouldn't have much value.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
DET - saves $20m by designating Stafford as a post-June 1 cut and needs an overhaul everywhere.
CAR - Bridgewater is only under contract for two more years - easy to cut after 2021 - but isn't particularly good anyway
ATL - Stuck with Ryan for probably two more seasons, but Lance is going to have to sit that long anyway, most likely.

NFL teams are generally stupid, but all 3 would be really stupid to pass on one of the QBs. But regardless of that, the fact that it's a need for all of them means that teams like SF or NE will need to jump them to get a QB, so 10 wouldn't have much value.

You never know, all it takes is 1 guy to fall that maybe other teams didn't love but the team/s behind us do.

All in all, this isn't a star-studded draft class, its a core building class so if we can get more picks to get our core built up I am all for it.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You never know, all it takes is 1 guy to fall that maybe other teams didn't love but the team/s behind us do.

All in all, this isn't a star-studded draft class, its a core building class so if we can get more picks to get our core built up I am all for it.
I feel like you're missing the point at QB. If a team likes a QB, they HAVE to get ahead of ATL, DET, CAR to make sure they get him. If they want, say, Lance, they can't sit there, hope he falls, and then decide to trade to 10.

There's a ton of stars in this draft, they all play QB or catch passes though. Yes, Dallas should trade down, but again, it's more likely to be because a team wants Pitts or a WR, because a QB probably won't be there.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
I feel like you're missing the point at QB. If a team likes a QB, they HAVE to get ahead of ATL, DET, CAR to make sure they get him. If they want, say, Lance, they can't sit there, hope he falls, and then decide to trade to 10.

There's a ton of stars in this draft, they all play QB or catch passes though. Yes, Dallas should trade down, but again, it's more likely to be because a team wants Pitts or a WR, because a QB probably won't be there.

Not missing the point at all, there might be a significant price difference between moving up in front of those guys vs if the guy is there at 10.
Teams might not want to give up an extra 2nd the following year or whatever the asking price is, so weighing the options of do we take a guy we like and give up more than we are comfortable with or see if he drops down a few more spots and pay a price we are more comfortable with.

Most people thought there was 0 chance Lamb fell to us last year and he did, and yes I know there's a difference between a QB and WR but not all QB's are the same like WR some QB's aren't certain teams cup of tea.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Not missing the point at all, there might be a significant price difference between moving up in front of those guys vs if the guy is there at 10.
Teams might not want to give up an extra 2nd the following year or whatever the asking price is, so weighing the options of do we take a guy we like and give up more than we are comfortable with or see if he drops down a few more spots and pay a price we are more comfortable with.

Most people thought there was 0 chance Lamb fell to us last year and he did, and yes I know there's a difference between a QB and WR but not all QB's are the same like WR some QB's aren't certain teams cup of tea.
It isn't, if you go by draft slot value chart - it's only like 300 points. The extra third or whatever to move up and get your quarterback is a no brainer.

I think you're undervaluing this QB class. Lawrence and Fields are no-brainer #1 picks almost every other year. They both go ahead of Burrow, Kyler, Baker, and Goff. Wilson and Lance are in the tier with those guys who have gone #1.

Guys slip, but with something like 12 teams needing a quarterback, and the way the league is now, the odds of a QB slipping all the way to 10 are tiny. There are 7 teams in the top-10 who could go QB, not including those who might trade up.

Daygoboy6191

Reaction score
It isn't, if you go by draft slot value chart - it's only like 300 points. The extra third or whatever to move up and get your quarterback is a no brainer.

I think you're undervaluing this QB class. Lawrence and Fields are no-brainer #1 picks almost every other year. They both go ahead of Burrow, Kyler, Baker, and Goff. Wilson and Lance are in the tier with those guys who have gone #1.

Guys slip, but with something like 12 teams needing a quarterback, and the way the league is now, the odds of a QB slipping all the way to 10 are tiny. There are 7 teams in the top-10 who could go QB, not including those who might trade up.

You might be right, you might be wrong... I see your point, and its definitely a valid one but if there's a run on QB maybe someone says damn it at this point maybe we make a play on Mac Jones, Trask, or whomever else.
My point is there is a possibility, and if someone does fall the Cowboys would be foolish to not take advantage of it in this draft class. Hell if we can't figure out a deal with Dak we might be the ones needing to move up.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
You might be right, you might be wrong... I see your point, and its definitely a valid one but if there's a run on QB maybe someone says damn it at this point maybe we make a play on Mac Jones, Trask, or whomever else.
My point is there is a possibility, and if someone does fall the Cowboys would be foolish to not take advantage of it in this draft class. Hell if we can't figure out a deal with Dak we might be the ones needing to move up.
Agreed, they should trade down. I just don't think the haul is going to be there.

cnuball21

Reaction score

I agree...it’s not normal for 4 QBs to go in the top 10 but I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens this year based on the teams ahead of us and 1 team likely trading up.

Trading back a few slots for an extra pick would be nice, but having 4QBs taken ahead of us before 10 would be nice too. Someone has to fall.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
If Miami wants to get a new QB they can just take one with the 3rd overall Pick and keep the 18th Pick. I for one think they go with Tua again and let him have a full season to see if hes all that.
if you are going with Tua in '21, IMO you can't pick another QB in this draft. that would be a vote of no confidence before he ever even got to training camp.

J-man

Reaction score
I think some of you guys are a little to high on some of these QB's.
Call me crazy but I personally don't see more than 3 QB's going in the top 10 and even that could be a bad news for 1 team. There is a chance that either Carolina and Denver could be desperate enough and decide to go with the 4th QB in the top 10, I think it would be Jones if they do, but if not, teams won't be trading up to 10 to get any of them. If Carolina and Denver pass on him I can see NE taking a shot at Jones at 15.

Lawrence is a lock at 1. No way the Jags and their new head coach will/can pass on the #1 rated QB.
Wilson will go top 4 and very well could go #2, although I don't think the Jets take a QB. I can actually see them being the winners in a bidding war for the #2 pick between several teams, Miami, Detroit, Carolina and possibly Denver. Atlanta will want to get in on that discussion, but they know they're stuck with Ryan for 2 more years so they can't bite the bullet yet. But I think the Dolphins trade up from 3 to 2 to land him before anyone else can, partly because the Jets won't want to move out of the top 5. The Jets then taking Sewell at 3, whom they wanted all along.

Fields will get picked by some team, probably the Lions at 7 just because, even though I see a very high bust potential. TBH, I shouldn't say bust because I do think he'll be ok and be a starter for 3-5 years. I just don't ever see him taking that next step and becoming a very good-great NFL QB. Like so many other QB's who come out highly touted, have some early success and than fade way, scrounging for back up rolls with a shot to get another starting chance.

IMHO, Jones, Lance and Trask are any where from mid-late first to 2-3 rd qbs.