CFZ Trade Deadline Question for serious contenders

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you have a good team this year and feel you have a legitimate shot to contend for a Super Bowl this year, here’s the question I‘m asking:
WHO CARES ABOUT NEXT YEAR?” Why don’t we care a lot more about winning a championship right NOW? The teams winning SBs and conference championships seem to be a lot more concerned about NOW than next year.

I am past being tired of hearing our owner/GM talk about how important it is to him that his team be “relevant” every year. Or worried about salary cap implications while other GMs are making moves to strengthen their teams. Wouldn’t it be worth it at some point to push more chips in to the middle of the table if you really believed you had a team that was close?

The two talking heads of this front office are constantly talking about this roster being close or good enough to win it all. If that’s the case, who cares about next year?

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
If you have a good team this year and feel you have a legitimate shot to contend for a Super Bowl this year, here’s the question I‘m asking:
WHO CARES ABOUT NEXT YEAR?” Why don’t we care a lot more about winning a championship right NOW? The teams winning SBs and conference championships seem to be a lot more concerned about NOW than next year.

I am past being tired of hearing our owner/GM talk about how important it is to him that his team be “relevant” every year. Or worried about salary cap implications while other GMs are making moves to strengthen their teams. Wouldn’t it be worth it at some point to push more chips in to the middle of the table if you really believed you had a team that was close?

The two talking heads of this front office are constantly talking about this roster being close or good enough to win it all. If that’s the case, who cares about next year?
Stephen has neutered the wildcatter in Jerry.
We don't take big risk anymore.
We are happy being relevant.
That's our lot as Cowboys fans.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
By the Cowboys not making any moves they are just confirming what many fans have long suspected.

The Jones family is only concerned about making money each year, not winning a Super Bowl.

As long as they get a team that makes the playoffs or at least remains in the hunt until the last week, they are content to let it play out to avoid putting the team at risk of having a bad season in the future.

Winning a Super Bowl is a bonus, not the objective.

The objective is higher valuations year over year and consistent revenue streams, and they excel at that.

Majic

Reaction score

I think if there was an obvious move they would have made it. But to me most fans couldn't even agree which position need upgrading the most. That's suggests either several areas of weakness or not one obvious area to address. Either way I'm not sure that is the time to part with further draft capital. What gets me are the moves the Eagles pull out the bag, there the type moves we need to make (a low cost with serious upside). I think we need to forget about tossing a 2nd here and a 3rd there. We still have to pay a WR who will want Top 5 money at that position (presumably more) an Edge who will want to be the highest paid DEF player in the league and a QB issue to resolve.

Majic

Reaction score
By the Cowboys not making any moves they are just confirming what many fans have long suspected.

The Jones family is only concerned about making money each year, not winning a Super Bowl.

As long as they get a team that makes the playoffs or at least remains in the hunt until the last week, they are content to let it play out to avoid putting the team at risk of having a bad season in the future.

Winning a Super Bowl is a bonus, not the objective.

The objective is higher valuations year over year and consistent revenue streams, and they excel at that.
I don't believe that. The bar must be higher surely.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if there was an obvious move they would have made it. But to me most fans couldn't even agree which position need upgrading the most. That's suggests either several areas of weakness or not one obvious area to address. Either way I'm not sure that is the time to part with further draft capital. What gets me are the moves the Eagles pull out the bag, there the type moves we need to make (a low cost with serious upside). I think we need to forget about tossing a 2nd here and a 3rd there. We still have to pay a WR who will want Top 5 money at that position (presumably more) an Edge who will want to be the highest paid DEF player in the league and a QB issue to resolve.
Agree. If you look at the moves the best GMs make every year, they are more concerned about this year than the next.

I come back to this question every year with the Jones FO: Would you trade a Lombardi (or even an NFC championship) for 5 losing seasons? I would do that in a heartbeat. Winning a championship is what it’s all about. Losing seasons are forgettable. Championships are forever.

kevm3

Reaction score

Yep, relevant every year means being good enough to keep fans 'hopes alive' by beating weak teams, but getting knocked out early in the playoffs because the real competitors are going 'all in'.

rags747

Reaction score
I don’t recall Burrow or Mahomes or Allen being available, maybe I missed that?!

CowboysDrew

Reaction score
As much as I dislike the inactivity of the FO, especially in Free Agency, I want to be a bit fair here.

Pretty much every player that was targeted as players that could help the Cowboys, Johnson, Henry, Jeudy, Sutton....weren't traded at all, and by that it could be assumed they weren't for sale.

Outside of the Vikes Cleveland I'm not sure who the Cowboys should've been in on that was actually available.

Majic

Reaction score
28 years of of higher valuations, record profits, no Super Bowls and no sense of urgency would argue otherwise.
They've traded before and got stung multiple times. They want to win, but on their terms. They are not good GM's

JW82

JJ21
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

They don't know what they're doing. Not an opinion. 28 years of data says so.

lopey

Reaction score

Well said. Ive been preaching this last 2 years. When the windows open you gotta go for it. Jerry doesn’t care as long as he is on his radio station tv and making coin

Majic

Reaction score
Agree. If you look at the moves the best GMs make every year, they are more concerned about this year than the next.

I come back to this question every year with the Jones FO: Would you trade a Lombardi (or even an NFC championship) for 5 losing seasons? I would do that in a heartbeat. Winning a championship is what it’s all about. Losing seasons are forgettable. Championships are forever.
Agree, But they don't look at it like that. They think they can win and win again. Your question would be absolutely when looking at the past , but to the Jones family a No when looking to the future

ChuckA1

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True, but better to get in the game and try than sit on the sidelines hoping things will work out on their own for the first time in 28 years.
Working on 29. And I have a sick feeling the Eagles and 49ers will leave the Cowboys in the dust this year. The Rams game got us all excited. This Sunday will speak volumes and bring us down to earth, I'm afraid.

Last edited: