CFZ Trade Deadline Question for serious contenders

Praxit

Reaction score
Trading for Henry shows the fan base you want to win it all.

Saying you want to win it all and being on a radio show the morning of trade deadline instead of working the phones, shows you care about nothing but printing money and remaining relevant.
yep I agree, gotta risk it sometimes. I think this year, is worth the risk.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Take a look at the trades that went down, look at what we had available to trade, and let us know what you would have done.

I wanted Henry and I would have traded a third for him. He wasn’t traded and I’m not sure the Titans ever seriously considered moving him.

Beyond that, I didn’t see a trade we could have jumped on and beaten out what was actually offered for players who were traded.
These October trades are usually driven by teams in need. And depending how much the need is are often willing to offer more than they usually would which might move the needle on some teams who weren’t initially interested in trading.

If we had offered a 1st or 2nd for example Titans might have been interested. Just saying

Flamma

Reaction score
If you have a good team this year and feel you have a legitimate shot to contend for a Super Bowl this year, here’s the question I‘m asking:
WHO CARES ABOUT NEXT YEAR?” Why don’t we care a lot more about winning a championship right NOW? The teams winning SBs and conference championships seem to be a lot more concerned about NOW than next year.

I am past being tired of hearing our owner/GM talk about how important it is to him that his team be “relevant” every year. Or worried about salary cap implications while other GMs are making moves to strengthen their teams. Wouldn’t it be worth it at some point to push more chips in to the middle of the table if you really believed you had a team that was close?

The two talking heads of this front office are constantly talking about this roster being close or good enough to win it all. If that’s the case, who cares about next year?
It's sad to say, we're not one of those teams with a front office competing for a championship. We're in contention now because we hit on a lot of draft picks. Not great moves by Jerry.

IMO you worry more about your 1st round picks when you're average, or a bad team. Not when you're in contention. Especially late first round picks. Isn't our 26th overall pick next year, or whatever it will be, worth Davante Adams or Aaron Donald this year? Of course it is. You're trying to win. Cowboys are just playing it safe.

The offseason following 2016 told us all we needed to know. We went 13-3, might as well gone 8-8, the offseason was no different. They trotted the same team out there with draft picks and bargain bin FAs. Who cares about next year? The Cowboys apparently do.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
I am glad the Cowboys did not make any trades. Chase Young is no better than Armstrong or Sam Williams. Sweat and Williams were way too expensive.

Bears CB Johnson was way too expensive in draft capital and there was no way the Cowboys could have signed him as a free agent.

Assuming a trade, which players were you willing to cut?

A backup OL would have been nice but 31 other teams are looking for the same thing.

Long term, a team has to keep their draft picks, draft well, choose undrafted free agents well, and develop the players the team drafted. Players need reps in practice and playing time to develop. Had Bland or Bell had veteran players in front of them, they never would have developed.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I am glad the Cowboys did not make any trades. Chase Young is no better than Armstrong or Sam Williams. Sweat and Williams were way too expensive.

Bears CB Johnson was way too expensive in draft capital and there was no way the Cowboys could have signed him as a free agent.

Assuming a trade, which players were you willing to cut?

A backup OL would have been nice but 31 other teams are looking for the same thing.

Long term, a team has to keep their draft picks, draft well, choose undrafted free agents well, and develop the players the team drafted. Players need reps in practice and playing time to develop. Had Bland or Bell had veteran players in front of them, they never would have developed.
lol. My lord. Jerry really has you guys whipped into believing this stuff.

Drafting is PART of roster building.

FA and Trades are part of that equation. The reason this team is forced to reach on players like Schoon, or Joseph is because they don’t utilize FA. They basically sit the first week out. (Usually on vacation with the family btw)

Blackrain

Reaction score
If you have a good team this year and feel you have a legitimate shot to contend for a Super Bowl this year, here’s the question I‘m asking:
WHO CARES ABOUT NEXT YEAR?” Why don’t we care a lot more about winning a championship right NOW? The teams winning SBs and conference championships seem to be a lot more concerned about NOW than next year.

I am past being tired of hearing our owner/GM talk about how important it is to him that his team be “relevant” every year. Or worried about salary cap implications while other GMs are making moves to strengthen their teams. Wouldn’t it be worth it at some point to push more chips in to the middle of the table if you really believed you had a team that was close?

The two talking heads of this front office are constantly talking about this roster being close or good enough to win it all. If that’s the case, who cares about next year?
Agree with you completely bullet.

Our problem is Jerry finds it more financially advantageous to keep the team relevant rather than go all in and try and win a championship .

Unfortunately many of us players adopt his ways and realize it's more advantageous for them to stay relevant get paid and prolong their career at all cost rather than take any risks to try and win a super bowl.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
That's what bothers me. It's not missing out on star players, it's that they didn't try to improve the team at all.

If the Cowboys lose Gilmore or Bland, they are in serious trouble. If they lose Parsons, they are in serious trouble. If they lose Lamb, they are in serious trouble.

The only player you are supposed to say that about is your quarterback, yet the Cowboys cannot afford to lose any of those players as well.
Exactly. They could have made some deals for depth, but they weren't willing to even pick up the phone. They even told us that.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Oh I agree completely, and that's my point.

By doing nothing and at the same time throwing out there, "If one player could guarantee us a Super Bowl" like they would really ever do that, that is just insulting to everyone supporting "their" team.
What they mean to say is. “If there is one player , that’s cheap, that meets our criteria, and that we hand pick we will get him.”

Not an actual player that will help. Like Henry.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Stephen has neutered the wildcatter in Jerry.
We don't take big risk anymore.
We are happy being relevant.
That's our lot as Cowboys fans.

Yep it’s kind of crazy how we won’t take risk anymore. They’ve gone from that to now saying “we’re standing pat because we believe in the team we built”…. It wreaks of stubbornness and arrogance.

Like we weren’t willing to give up a 2nd or 3rd for Derrick Henry. Look at our history of second round picks anyway. Outside of diggs lately who have we hit on?

cowboys1732

Reaction score
The biggest frustration for me is that he will not bring in a true GM. I do think Jerry wants to win a superbowl, I think he is willing to gamble, but they make too many emotional decisions instead of a professional evaluating the roster and making decisions based on those evaluations, not emotions.

Hard telling, but I don’t think we would have 28:years of futility if they would just relinquish some control. It’s his team so he can do what he wants and it’s not going to change. I don‘t mind them not making a move if it’s not in their best overall interest, but I don’t trust them to make that decision. Just my humble opinion.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Exactly. They could have made some deals for depth, but they weren't willing to even pick up the phone. They even told us that.
That’s what I love about Jethro . He tells us exactly what his priorities are and what his plans are but yet we still expect something different.

He crams it down our throats and we keep coming back for more. He must think we are all fools as he laughs all the way to the bank .

Our fanbase certainly has a strange way of showing him our disapproval. He has no reason to change.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
The biggest frustration for me is that he will not bring in a true GM. I do think Jerry wants to win a superbowl, I think he is willing to gamble, but they make too many emotional decisions instead of a professional evaluating the roster and making decisions based on those evaluations, not emotions.

Hard telling, but I don’t think we would have 28:years of futility if they would just relinquish some control. It’s his team so he can do what he wants and it’s not going to change. I don‘t mind them not making a move if it’s not in their best overall interest, but I don’t trust them to make that decision. Just my humble opinion.
He tried relinquishing some control . It delivered him championships . But that wasn’t enough for his egotistical selfish ambitions .

Jipper

Reaction score
These October trades are usually driven by teams in need. And depending how much the need is are often willing to offer more than they usually would which might move the needle on some teams who weren’t initially interested in trading.

If we had offered a 1st or 2nd for example Titans might have been interested. Just saying
Fair but a 1st or 2nd is going to severely hurt next year when we are going to need to get a few starters out of the draft to replace some of the guys we're not going to be able to resign or will let go.

A 3rd or 4th/5th[which we obviously didn't have] seem to be the sweet spot to be able to pick up a player without putting yourself in a bad spot the next year....I get everyone wanting to go all in but we already traded away 3 of next year's picks and the team has a roster that has a enough skill..

If the qb continues to play better each week and the coaching keeps improving then there might be hope- only time will tell and I'm still not ready to believe but I also don't think they missed out on a player that would have made the difference in going to the superbowl or not

12+88=7

Reaction score

Reminds me of Risky Business, sometimes you just have to say ***.

ActualCowboysFan

Reaction score
Working on 29. And I have a sick feeling the Eagles and 49ers will leave the Cowboys in the dust this year. The Rams game got us all excited. This Sunday will speak volumes and bring us down to earth, I'm afraid.
You thought that about the Rams too though

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fair but a 1st or 2nd is going to severely hurt next year when we are going to need to get a few starters out of the draft to replace some of the guys we're not going to be able to resign or will let go.

A 3rd or 4th/5th[which we obviously didn't have] seem to be the sweet spot to be able to pick up a player without putting yourself in a bad spot the next year....I get everyone wanting to go all in but we already traded away 3 of next year's picks and the team has a roster that has a enough skill..

If the qb continues to play better each week and the coaching keeps improving then there might be hope- only time will tell and I'm still not ready to believe but I also don't think they missed out on a player that would have made the difference in going to the superbowl or not
I can see your argument, but these are the current former first round picks on the Cowboys ..

2011: Tyron Smith (OT)
2012: Stephon Gilmore (CB)
2014: Zack Martin (G)
2014: Brandin Cooks (WR)
2015: Dante Fowler (DE)
2017: Malik Hooker (S)
2018: Leighton Vander Esch (LB)
2018: Rashaan Evans (LB)
2018: Billy Price (OL)
2020: CeeDee Lamb (WR)
2021: Micah Parsons (LB/DE)
2021: Trey Lance (QB)
2022: Tyler Smith (G)
2023: Mazi Smith (DT)

That's 14 former first round players on the Cowboys.

Is that first round pick next year really going to make that much difference especially if the pick is 20 or lower?