CFZ Trade Deadline Question for serious contenders

CCBoy

Reaction score
True, but better to get in the game and try than sit on the sidelines hoping things will work out on their own for the first time in 28 years.
I know this...it does't take too long to see if players under the leadership always are prepared and if they go to war no matter what. This string looks more like the owner wanting a good working relationship and being able to put trust in his head coach. Showy yearly play, under cash flow control, and an easy ride between coach and GM. That was Jerry's first learned scar working with Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy was in for his own glory and that element always scarred Jerry from that point.

The team just never goes past show to all out confrontations as well as dominance of opponents.

charron

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Correct. If you truly think you are close, pull the trigger. You could have given up a 3rd for Henry, possibly make it to the NFC championship game, something they haven't done in decades.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It’s really laughable the fans who support our ownerships track record this era .

But it explains why our record revenue continues rewarding Jethro & Son.

Perhaps our worst enemy isn’t the Jone$ but the fans who are blind sided by them.

Mac_MaloneV1

Reaction score
The Rams model is stupid and they just got lucky.

You have a better chance at getting lucky and going on a run by being competitive every year than doing what they did.

ArtClink

Reaction score
And he wouldn’t be working for any other NFL franchise. Much like his daddy.

Yes, they have experience and they’ve managed not to be a bottom tier team during this less successful era in Cowboys history keeping their head above water most seasons but mostly cause of good drafting by Bill who resurrected us from the 5-11 funk then Will providing his eye for talent .

But the fact we are comparing their results this era more to the have nots instead of the franchises that have had more success tells the story. Even Daddy admitted he’d of been fired for the results this era.

Our greatest hope someday is Son won’t have the same passionate egotistical selfish dream of being a football celebrity and turn the GM and VP responsibilities over to non family members who we can hold more accountable like 30 other NFL franchises and simply oversee as Pres .
Great post!

I think we have complied enough data on Stephen Jones’s to know several things about his future tenure as the new Cowboys “GM”.
  1. He has hubris in spades just like his dad
  2. He thinks his money makes him qualified to be a gm
  3. He’s the idiot that said a few years ago that “this years team has the secret sauce” lol
  4. He might not outlive Jerry. Have you seen this guy lately? He’s aged worse than David Lee Roth!
Stephen has just two accomplishments in his years as the Cowboys INSERT TITLE HERE.

A. He memorized the salary cap rules
B. He stopped the fuhrer from drafting Johnny “Football”

He’s half the problem of a problem that won’t go away in most Cowboys fans lifetime.

ArtClink

Reaction score
It’s really laughable the fans who support our ownerships track record this era .

But it explains why our record revenue continues rewarding Jethro & Son.

Perhaps our worst enemy isn’t the Jone$ but the fans who are blind sided by them.
It’s eyes wide open for me the past 10-15 years so I’m not blindsided by any feeble attempts by the fuhrer to sell hope to fans.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you have a good team this year and feel you have a legitimate shot to contend for a Super Bowl this year, here’s the question I‘m asking:
WHO CARES ABOUT NEXT YEAR?” Why don’t we care a lot more about winning a championship right NOW? The teams winning SBs and conference championships seem to be a lot more concerned about NOW than next year.

I am past being tired of hearing our owner/GM talk about how important it is to him that his team be “relevant” every year. Or worried about salary cap implications while other GMs are making moves to strengthen their teams. Wouldn’t it be worth it at some point to push more chips in to the middle of the table if you really believed you had a team that was close?

The two talking heads of this front office are constantly talking about this roster being close or good enough to win it all. If that’s the case, who cares about next year?
There always has to be some balance, because a Super Bowl isn't guaranteed even if you go all in, and going all in could sacrifice any shot the team has for years and years to come.

Imagine if the Cowboys sacrificed the future to win now, and didn't, and wallowed as a .500 team or below for the next 5 years You can bet your butt fans would care then. The same fans saying who cares about tomorrow would then be harping on the Cowboys for not building a team that can last.

That said, if the team feels it is a contender, obviously it should look at ways to improve its chances. within some level of reason. Obviously people can have very different opinions on what that level is..

Ultimately, the best teams are ones that build something that can be tweaked or supplemented to have a shot year after year, and the odds of winning are improved by being a contender year after year..

eromeopolk

Reaction score
If you have a good team this year and feel you have a legitimate shot to contend for a Super Bowl this year, here’s the question I‘m asking:
WHO CARES ABOUT NEXT YEAR?” Why don’t we care a lot more about winning a championship right NOW? The teams winning SBs and conference championships seem to be a lot more concerned about NOW than next year.

I am past being tired of hearing our owner/GM talk about how important it is to him that his team be “relevant” every year. Or worried about salary cap implications while other GMs are making moves to strengthen their teams. Wouldn’t it be worth it at some point to push more chips in to the middle of the table if you really believed you had a team that was close?

The two talking heads of this front office are constantly talking about this roster being close or good enough to win it all. If that’s the case, who cares about next year?
Jerry Dumbo GM Jones cares. He got Jimmy to give him his Super Bowls so it is all about relevancy whether on the field, off the field, in the court house, or showing off the new toy from his Billions.

Jerry Dumbo GM Jones traded away his best trade in Amari Cooper for nothing in return. That should tell you everything about his Super Bowl priority. the priority does not exist.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score

I didn't think they'd do anything - especially after a blowout win - and that's what they did. If the Niners game was Sunday I would've expected a different reaction.

They love to pump up how they have more of their drafted players than other teams, as if that alone is a sign of great drafting. It's a sign of two men under no pressure to win - they aren't getting fired - and no urgency.

Great, you've kept a lot of your drafted players. Those players have 4 playoff wins in the 21st century. Take a bow.

Robster8989

Reaction score
That's why I'm disappointed about Cleveland. That one should've been on the Cowboys radar. I haven't seen the picks given for him but it might be that Dallas already traded the capital necessary to acquire him in the off season.
Agreed.
And the Jags gave up a 2024 6th rounder for him. A steal for a solid IOL.
Also, one reason the Vikings were open to moving him is because they signed Dalton Risner, and he is playing well.
You may recall he was available until mid Sept as a FA, and the Cowboys showed no interest.
It would be really nice to have one of these guys right now, and we'd have the option of moving Tyler Smith outside with Tyron down.

ArtClink

Reaction score
I know this...it does't take too long to see if players under the leadership always are prepared and if they go to war no matter what. This string looks more like the owner wanting a good working relationship and being able to put trust in his head coach. Showy yearly play, under cash flow control, and an easy ride between coach and GM. That was Jerry's first learned scar working with Jimmy Johnson. Jimmy was in for his own glory and that element always scarred Jerry from that point.

The team just never goes past show to all out confrontations as well as dominance of opponents.
Jerry isn’t scarred, it’s the fan base that is scarred.

How bout them Rangers!!

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I bet most of you complain about younger generations and the need for instant gratification.
Instant gratification? January of 1996 was a long time ago. Any Cowboys fan in need of instant gratification has long since bailed.

We're tired of the same self-appointed, never to be fired, dynamic personnel duo lusting over their own draft picks, not being aggressive outside of that, and seemingly being content to be in the the hunt and fall short again, again, and again.

It's almost as if having a couple of billionaires in personnel-decisions-for-life roles isn't the best strategy to win a Super Bowl...or something. :rolleyes:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Instant gratification? January of 1996 was a long time ago. Any Cowboys fan in need of instant gratification has long since bailed.

We're tired of the same self-appointed, never to be fired, dynamic personnel duo lusting over their own draft picks, not being aggressive outside of that, and seemingly being content to be in the the hunt and fall short again, again, and again.

It's almost as if having a couple of billionaires in personnel-decisions-for-life roles isn't the best strategy to win a Super Bowl...or something. :rolleyes:
The Cowboys will pull the trigger when things are in their favor. The last several trades have been very good. They did not like the price point.

I am not sure what playoff outcomes have to do with anything. Those are not going to happen for a couple more months.

Cowboysheelsreds058

Reaction score
I think the Clampetts realized, if they traded a 3rd this year, they would not have a pick after the 2nd till the 7 round. Because they have no 4-6 round now, if not mistaken.

cowboyed

Reaction score
By the Cowboys not making any moves they are just confirming what many fans have long suspected.

The Jones family is only concerned about making money each year, not winning a Super Bowl.

As long as they get a team that makes the playoffs or at least remains in the hunt until the last week, they are content to let it play out to avoid putting the team at risk of having a bad season in the future.

Winning a Super Bowl is a bonus, not the objective.

The objective is higher valuations year over year and consistent revenue streams, and they excel at that.
I don't think it's JUST about the money. I think they are risk adverse to a fault relative to cap management. The Cowboys also have been incompetent building quality depth until recent years. To be fair in 2023 they did pick up notable free agents such as Gilmore and Cooks but that was before the trading deadline was looming. They also dealt with the 9rs and got Trey Lance.

Cowboys ownership and executive management is middle of the road football intellect and there is a fragile limit to how much hired personnel can challenge their decision making let alone validity since they are a family business. The Cowboys organization is a gentrified football mafia.

CCBoy

Reaction score
Jerry isn’t scarred, it’s the fan base that is scarred.

How bout them Rangers!!
The element that I was discussing about, there is a difference between scarred and trust. Oh, I agree...there are very few things that cause fear in Jerry Jones. He organizes very thoroughly. He will be rewarded once again for being thorough in full scope.

GO COWBOYS! :starspin:

JonesBoys

Reaction score

Staying relevant enough every year is a good way to continue to make a lot of money. You stay in the mix for a lot of national games, you make the playoffs consistently but not good enough to advanced. Fans feel like they have somewhat of a shot at a Super Bowl even 30 years prove that wrong. The Jones boys figured out the perfect money making scheme. The ultimate g-l-o-r-y hole as Jerry would say.

tunahelper

Reaction score

Being relevant on an annual basis is Jerry biggest concern. He needs to sell his three ring circus to pay the bills. That is why he will not go all in when it requires it. Steady and competitive teams pay his bills. Jerry operates the Boys like his businesses first and foremost.

doomsday9084

Reaction score
First off, I have to say that the trades for Galloway and Roy Williams really left a mark. Dallas gained little in the short term and lost a lot in the long term. The lesson that the Jones boys took from that is "don't trade" not "don't make dumb trades".

Continuing though, the NFL is a team sport. There are only a small handful of truly game breaking players like Mahomes or Watt or Tyreke. Really, none of them were available this year. I'll give SF credit in that when one was available (McCaffrey), they went out and got him regardless of cost. Outside of that, marginal upgrades only change your odds of a super bowl . . . marginally. If the cost for that is a high draft pick and exacerbated cap problems . . . why do you do it? Why increase your super bowl odds from 10% to 10.2% at the cost of dropping them to 5% for the next few years?

I'm no Jones apologist but on this one . . . I get it.