CFZ Trade Deadline Question for serious contenders

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The problem that drove every team away is that he was reportedly seeking a massive contract. No one was willing to do that.

With what we have coming up, market setting contracts need to not be something we take on lightly.
I agree but he is a player that can hold the opposite corner from Diggs for the next 5-7 years. Imagine having Bland as the 3rd CB…….

Nova

Ntegrase96
Reaction score
If you have a good team this year and feel you have a legitimate shot to contend for a Super Bowl this year, here’s the question I‘m asking:
WHO CARES ABOUT NEXT YEAR?” Why don’t we care a lot more about winning a championship right NOW? The teams winning SBs and conference championships seem to be a lot more concerned about NOW than next year.

I am past being tired of hearing our owner/GM talk about how important it is to him that his team be “relevant” every year. Or worried about salary cap implications while other GMs are making moves to strengthen their teams. Wouldn’t it be worth it at some point to push more chips in to the middle of the table if you really believed you had a team that was close?

The two talking heads of this front office are constantly talking about this roster being close or good enough to win it all. If that’s the case, who cares about next year?
They telegraphed this 'business as usual' approach in the off-season.

It's why we liked drafting Mazi, but all felt a little weird about it at the same time.

It was great to finally prioritize DT, but it wasn't a NOW move. It was a move for a few years down the road.

The FO just doesn't know how to seize the moment.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
Gosh, Fuzzy, we're here as DC fans offering our opinions. And, in my opinion, the nonsense he espouses makes him at least sound like an idiot. I don't like using that word, so half-wit it is.

And please don't give me that trained by Bill Parcells BS. He was the loudmouth that thought he knew more than the coach, just like his dad.
And I am offering mine. You think he is stupid. I am demonstrating objectively that he is not. He sounds nothing like someone with developmental deficiencies. You just sound like you are mad at him.

And you may not like that he was trained by Parcells and has decades of experience. He still was and has those things.

ArtClink

Reaction score
It's getting tougher and tougher for me to care or have any passion for this team. I have loved this team and invested my fandom into them since I was a kid, and with each and every passing season, more and more air leaves my sails. It's the SAME exact song and dance every season with no end in sight. I'm tired of being the joke of the NFL. I'm tired of knowing how this chapter ends. They're doing nothing to reel me back in.

I know some posters have their mouse on the quote button of this post to call me a "hater" and to tell me "where the door is", but I'm frustrated. We all should be. The Jones' boys are a joke. Somebody get me a time machine so I can go block Jerry's purchase of this once proud franchise.
Standing ovation sir!!

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I am really tired of hearing Jerry talk about what a risk-taker he is.

To me, it rings hollow when you see the Niners add McCaffrey and Chase Young in back-to-back seasons while we still have Tyron Smith at LT, LVE at MLB, etc.

The good GMs are making deals and it isn't cost them much, while Jerry is they guy giving up Cooper for nothing.

Kwyn

Reaction score
I agree but he is a player that can hold the opposite corner from Diggs for the next 5-7 years. Imagine having Bland as the 3rd CB…….
Well, we’ve seen that.

Are you ready to pay him 20m+ for four years?

I’m not.

That’s what he wants and is demanding but he’s not that good.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
And I am offering mine. You think he is stupid. I am demonstrating objectively that he is not. He sounds nothing like someone with developmental deficiencies. You just sound like you are mad at him.

And you may not like that he was trained by Parcells and has decades of experience. He still was and has those things.
And he wouldn’t be working for any other NFL franchise. Much like his daddy.

Yes, they have experience and they’ve managed not to be a bottom tier team during this less successful era in Cowboys history keeping their head above water most seasons but mostly cause of good drafting by Bill who resurrected us from the 5-11 funk then Will providing his eye for talent .

But the fact we are comparing their results this era more to the have nots instead of the franchises that have had more success tells the story. Even Daddy admitted he’d of been fired for the results this era.

Our greatest hope someday is Son won’t have the same passionate egotistical selfish dream of being a football celebrity and turn the GM and VP responsibilities over to non family members who we can hold more accountable like 30 other NFL franchises and simply oversee as Pres .

Ring6

StarSchema
Reaction score
It's getting tougher and tougher for me to care or have any passion for this team. I have loved this team and invested my fandom into them since I was a kid, and with each and every passing season, more and more air leaves my sails. It's the SAME exact song and dance every season with no end in sight. I'm tired of being the joke of the NFL. I'm tired of knowing how this chapter ends. They're doing nothing to reel me back in.

I know some posters have their mouse on the quote button of this post to call me a "hater" and to tell me "where the door is", but I'm frustrated. We all should be. The Jones' boys are a joke. Somebody get me a time machine so I can go block Jerry's purchase of this once proud franchise.
You definitely have the right and it is understandable to feel that way.

As for me, I seem to have more passion for the team each year. It is painful, but I know no other way to be. Championship number 6 will happen, even if the way the ownership is running it, it could have been done by now, but it will happen in spite of the obvious focus on profit instead of all-in. It may just take a stroke of good fortune to get there one of these years. Might even happen this year.

CWR

Reaction score
By the Cowboys not making any moves they are just confirming what many fans have long suspected.

The Jones family is only concerned about making money each year, not winning a Super Bowl.

As long as they get a team that makes the playoffs or at least remains in the hunt until the last week, they are content to let it play out to avoid putting the team at risk of having a bad season in the future.

Winning a Super Bowl is a bonus, not the objective.

The objective is higher valuations year over year and consistent revenue streams, and they excel at that.

I think there's more that goes into than a simple does it make us better now.

The draft capital and the cap hit have to be factored in with our ability to re-sign our own players. The guy we are getting has to be worth that, and it has to be crystal clear for Jerry to pull the trigger.

While I think a guy like Henry would have been worth a 3rd hands down, they probably don't. Of course I say that not knowing what his price was. Although according to the reports him being moved was held up more by cap implications.

I also am at a point I have a difficult time believing the cap is a massive hurdle anymore. These teams have become so good at manipulating contracts and moving money around they seldom seem to land in "cap hell."

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am glad the Cowboys did not make any trades. Chase Young is no better than Armstrong or Sam Williams. Sweat and Williams were way too expensive.

Bears CB Johnson was way too expensive in draft capital and there was no way the Cowboys could have signed him as a free agent.

Assuming a trade, which players were you willing to cut?

A backup OL would have been nice but 31 other teams are looking for the same thing.

Long term, a team has to keep their draft picks, draft well, choose undrafted free agents well, and develop the players the team drafted. Players need reps in practice and playing time to develop. Had Bland or Bell had veteran players in front of them, they never would have developed.
We should never assume that the players other teams traded for were the only players available. And as I said earlier in this thread, too many fans think “trade“ means some blockbuster move for a star when it could also be about just adding some rotational players that make your whole roster better.

We didn’t have to get Young or Sweat to have a decent acquisition. Even adding backups can be a good move.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Stephen Jones has an engineering degree and been praised by Bill Parcells for his football acumen. You label him a half wit. It is what it is.

And is said posit, ie contribute meaningfully to a discussion, not post.
I believe SJ is a very intelligent man. He has a degree in chemical engineering which is impressive for sure.

But come on man, let’s be honest here. What qualified Stephen Jones for his position as Executive Vice President of Player Personnel for the Dallas Cowboys is his DNA. Not his football acumen. And he has what no other NFL executive has: a guaranteed lifetime contract regardless of results on the field.

Stephen Jones is a smart man. But I don’t believe another NFL organization would hire him to run their football operations.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I believe SJ is a very intelligent man. He has a degree in chemical engineering which is impressive for sure.

But come on man, let’s be honest here. What qualified Stephen Jones for his position as Executive Vice President of Player Personnel for the Dallas Cowboys is his DNA. Not his football acumen. And he has what no other NFL executive has: a guaranteed lifetime contract regardless of results on the field.

Stephen Jones is a smart man. But I don’t believe another NFL organization would hire him to run their football operations.
What is that belief based on?

At the end of the day he has 30+ years experience and he has learned from the likes of Jimmy Johnson, Bill Parcells, and the other coaches his father used him as a liaison for.

Now I agree that he likely would have never been given that original opportunity but for nepotism, that does not speak to how he performed afterwards. Personally, I think the Cowboys have been both performing better and more stable since he has gotten more of a voice in the organization following the Brandon Carr signing.

Kwyn

Reaction score
We should never assume that the players other teams traded for were the only players available. And as I said earlier in this thread, too many fans think “trade“ means some blockbuster move for a star when it could also be about just adding some rotational players that make your whole roster better.

We didn’t have to get Young or Sweat to have a decent acquisition. Even adding backups can be a good move.
But then we just enter in to fantasy land where any proposed deal is “on the table”.

Sure, we can talk about all the deals that no other team made as one the Cowboys should have made is just the most wild form of message board speculation.

Kwyn

Reaction score

The only thing that qualifies him is the same thing that qualifies anyone else for a front office job.

He’s been the number two man in one of the biggest organizations in worldwide sports for 20 years.

It’s not like he’s Spaulding. We can’t say that this is Stephen at at 29 is the same at Stephen at 60.

Results matter but let’s be fair. It’s not like he’s not been going to work for the last 30 years and was just chilling.

Techsass

Reaction score
I would have liked for us to have found a player that would help shore up our weak spots. Unfortunately the only capital we had was our 3rd round pick. That player would need to easily take over somebody's starting position for me to think it was worth our only having a 1st, 2nd & a couple of 7th round picks next year.

I loved getting Gilmore & Cooks, but I'm not convinced they were quite the difference makers that I expected.

quickccc

Reaction score
If you have a good team this year and feel you have a legitimate shot to contend for a Super Bowl this year, here’s the question I‘m asking:
WHO CARES ABOUT NEXT YEAR?” Why don’t we care a lot more about winning a championship right NOW? The teams winning SBs and conference championships seem to be a lot more concerned about NOW than next year.

I am past being tired of hearing our owner/GM talk about how important it is to him that his team be “relevant” every year. Or worried about salary cap implications while other GMs are making moves to strengthen their teams. Wouldn’t it be worth it at some point to push more chips in to the middle of the table if you really believed you had a team that was close?

The two talking heads of this front office are constantly talking about this roster being close or good enough to win it all. If that’s the case, who cares about next year?
Uh oh ,..Haze, is this the usual monthly Jerry rant again .... lol :muttley:

coult44

Reaction score
Take a look at the trades that went down, look at what we had available to trade, and let us know what you would have done.

I wanted Henry and I would have traded a third for him. He wasn’t traded and I’m not sure the Titans ever seriously considered moving him.

Beyond that, I didn’t see a trade we could have jumped on and beaten out what was actually offered for players who were traded.
There aren’t five guy who will be drafted next year that will be as good as Jaylon Johnson. Would’ve gave a 2 for him in a heartbeat. We also could’ve swung the Ezra Cleveland deal some way.

cowboybish

Reaction score

One of the few post that makes sense and is spot on! Worry about next year… Next year. i’d rather win a Super Bowl and be in contention the next year or two and then struggle for a couple years and win another Super Bowl then to continue the way we have for almost 30 years.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
That's what bothers me. It's not missing out on star players, it's that they didn't try to improve the team at all.
This is my issue.........year after year we see them overlook cheap mid-level talent that could impact the team. You can't tell me Derrick Henry doesn't help this team now, this season. What happens if Pollard goes down to a season-ending injury?