Trade down at #22

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
theogt;1343209 said:
I don't think everyone (or even most) would agree that those are our only needs or even our strongest needs, particularly if Henry moves to FS. We're not moving up or down. We should move Henry to FS, pick up A. Samuels, and draft A. Spencer/J. Moss/Q. Moses at LOLB. Take an OG in the 2nd round and a WR in the 3rd. There are so many WRs in this draft a quality guy will drop to the 3rd.

I guess when you talking about a 9-8 team the "needs" could be long.

I know Owens and Glenn are 33. But I Like what I see behind them. Wouldn't want to see WR 1st day.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think we should go pressure player/OLB early.
I like Carpenter at LOLB and believe our problems creating a pass rush were 90% strategic.
We just need to play pass more often. Far to often we had our DL playing run first and taking on an OL instead of attempting to shoot a gap.
We need to play 4 DL more often on 2nd and 3rd down with Ware at RDE.
We need to substitue Fergy and Spears with Ratliff and Hatcher more often.
We need more stunts and creative blitz schemes that actually get someone free once in a while.

I usually don't like OL in the first round. But it's a real NEED.

We do need a backup NT to Ferguson. He's 33 and we can't expect the same production we hade from him. I like our other DL and LB's but we don't have a quality interior two gap DL other than Ferguson.
3-4 or 4-3 you always have that one larger run stopper when you're in the base defense. Ferguson's the only one.

FS is also a need. Now I like Watkins, so I'm not sure this guy needs to be a starter. But I do think we need to have Roy play more of a LB role in our Nickle. When we do go Nickle or Dime Roy should never be one of the deep safeties. If we go that way, we would need more Safties.

So in a perfect draft where the talent fell just the right way,
I'd go OG, NT, FS.

My next pick would be a thrid down type RB. Someone small, quick with WR type skils. I think we lacked speed/receiving ability out of the backfield.
I want someone who can really put a scare into the defense.
Someone to return punts and actually play some WR in a pinch.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
way too early for that decision...this draft is now deep in receivers in round 1 and a guy like Jarrett could drop into the late teens, in which case I'd move up a few slots to get him...I'd also take a CB if one of the better cover guys drops to us...and there are always top OG's, often OT's like Shaun Andrews who will switch to OG in the pros, around that slot.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
sonnyboy;1343261 said:
I guess when you talking about a 9-8 team the "needs" could be long.

I know Owens and Glenn are 33. But I Like what I see behind them. Wouldn't want to see WR 1st day.
We may not need him for next year, but we most certainly need a WR for the following year. We don't necessarily need a #1 guy in this draft, but we need someone to be the future #2. You can place your eggs in the UDFA basket with Austin and Hurd, but that seems a little too optimistic for my tastes.

This draft is loaded with WRs. I wouldn't mind Dwayne Bowe in the 1st or a Higgins or Williams in the 2nd or 3rd. Those two will be very solid #2s -- potential #1s -- for an NFL team.

I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't think we should go pressure player/OLB early.
I like Carpenter at LOLB and believe our problems creating a pass rush were 90% strategic.
We just need to play pass more often. Far to often we had our DL playing run first and taking on an OL instead of attempting to shoot a gap.
We need to play 4 DL more often on 2nd and 3rd down with Ware at RDE.
We need to substitue Fergy and Spears with Ratliff and Hatcher more often.
We need more stunts and creative blitz schemes that actually get someone free once in a while.
The problem is that we didn't get more pressure in alignments with 4-down linemen. People think that's the answer, but it's certainly not. In fact, it will probably reduce our pass-rush ability. As for thinking Carpenter is sufficient and the problem is more strategic, go look at the Ellis games. We got sufficient pressure with Ellis in the game. Carpenter just isn't a pass-rusher. He wasn't in college, and he won't be in the pros. We absolutely need a 2nd pass-rusher and Carpenter isn't it.

I usually don't like OL in the first round. But it's a real NEED.
Not really. At least not in the 1st round. Both tackles will be back next season. Kosier and Gurode will certainly be back as well. We, of course, need to replace Rivera, but there isn't a 1st guard worth taking and you don't need to draft a guard in the first round to justify him starting immediately. Also, don't forget free agency -- there are a couple worth looking at.

We do need a backup NT to Ferguson. He's 33 and we can't expect the same production we hade from him. I like our other DL and LB's but we don't have a quality interior two gap DL other than Ferguson.
3-4 or 4-3 you always have that one larger run stopper when you're in the base defense. Ferguson's the only one.
I agree it's a need, but there's no sense spending a 1st day pick on a NT for the 3-4. At the highest I'd say spend a 3rd on it.

FS is also a need. Now I like Watkins, so I'm not sure this guy needs to be a starter. But I do think we need to have Roy play more of a LB role in our Nickle. When we do go Nickle or Dime Roy should never be one of the deep safeties. If we go that way, we would need more Safties.
I really think Henry is making the move to FS. If that's the case, safety isn't a problem. If not, Watkins is the answer. He came on nicely towards the end of the season and he was really only beat 2-3 times all season. Those tend to stick into people's minds, but he's a very solid safety.

Roy will not play more of a LB role. People need to stop believing this mess. Roy is one of the better strong safeties in the league. His "coverage liability" is way over-blown. His role will not change significantly and he'll be starting every single down.

In the end, we will not be drafting a safety on the first day. I doubt we draft a safety at all, to tell you the truth.

So in a perfect draft where the talent fell just the right way,
I'd go OG, NT, FS.
If this is what we draft on the 1st day, I would declare Jerry Jones to be the culprit and the draft to be a complete disaster.

My next pick would be a thrid down type RB. Someone small, quick with WR type skils. I think we lacked speed/receiving ability out of the backfield.
I want someone who can really put a scare into the defense.
Someone to return punts and actually play some WR in a pinch.
I like Austin in this role, but I can see us spending a 4th or so on a RB.