Trade for Jamal Adams and get Dak signed and we just might get to the SB

fivetwos

Reaction score
I've heard 20 million being thrown around. Not sure how true it would be. The thing about him is there isn't anyone else out there to compare him to. Maybe Landon Collins? But Landon wasn't nearly as good or as young so its hard to see where his market is.
The top S makes 15 per now. Adams isnt getting 20 from the Jets, Dallas, or anyone.

Stash

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Fails? How will he fail? He isnt a draft pick. We know he can play.

I'm also not giving up more than a 1st and 3rd. If they prefer a 1st and Connor Williams, then sure.

I'd rather give up future picks vs current players. I want to strengthen the team we already have.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The Kool Aid is flowing strong and early this year, don’t turn the spigots off so soon!

I agree with 100% of what you said, every year the Super Bowl chatter pops up and every year there’s a different excuse of why it will “really happen” the upcoming season. Every year the team is better than the year before, more experience, different coaching changes, blah blah blah. Some people don’t seem to realize there’s 31 other teams that are trying to get to the Super Bowl and they’re making improvements on paper as well.
So what would you like to do?

Sit around and collect draft picks while we let the WR dynamic expire?

Or wait until Martin and Tyron cant play anymore?

Or wait until Daks third contract eats up 25% of the cap?

When do we actually try to get good enough to contend?

We are talking about adding an All Pro at a position of need.

What would you be hoping to do with those picks besides equal that?

fivetwos

Reaction score
I'd rather give up future picks vs current players. I want to strengthen the team we already have.
Well that was based on the comment of them wanting a 1st, a 3rd AND an OL.

I want Adams, but it caps at a 1st and 3rd.

If they insisted on Williams in lieu of the 3rd, I wouldnt not do it, because I dont see him starting anyway, and I'm not sure he is the swing tackle (Erving, and different debate).

I wouldnt do the two picks plus a player.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Trade for Jamal Adams and get Dak signed and we might have a legit chance to get to the SB.

Rescind Dak go with the better cheaper Dalton and then trade for Adams and pick up Clowney or Griffin or both and Doomsday lives again!

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
Trade for Jamal Adams and get Dak signed and we might have a legit chance to get to the SB.

NO reason, at the moment, why this team cant compete for a SB THIS season.
Here is an issue with trading for Adams. Especially if multiple picks involved including 1st rounder. As the Jets will not back off of that.
Dallas traded away they 5th round pick in the draft to the Eagles, to jump up and punk them yet once again. And took Biadasz. The 6th round goes to the Patriots for Bennett.

We should have 4 comp picks coming, however, those are not set in stone, and we could end up with only 2 comp picks. if we trade away 2 hight picks, we may be left with just 5 picks and not 9 if we only get 2 comp picks. So don't go trading picks you do not have yet.

Now @stasheroo had a good post, about how we could get Adams for $12 million a year, which is much better. But at what cost. A 2nd for me, heck ya. But a 1st, may be a bit steep, but for that contract for 6 years. Yeah, it could be worth it. But just hate giving up those 1st rounders. Cooper was great, Adams, I am not so sure.
But if it happened, I probably would not complain, or if I did, not for long.

I would give them Gallup and a 3rd rounder or a first rounder and that's about it. But the salary is troubling. If we could keep him for the next two years on his rookie deal and then sign him to say a 15 million dollar extension once Cooper and or Zeke are gone in two years then it makes all the sense in the world.

You are not going to find that kind of talent at the bottom of the first round. And at the moment, its our biggest need position.

mmohican29

Reaction score
We can' make it to the Super Bowl if there arent games to be played.

And I bet Dak signed his tender because his salary is now guaranteed vs being a FA heading into a season without game checks to collect.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
just too much uncertainty with this team to give away 1st round draft picks right now....we could very easily regress and be back at a 10th type of pick as mcarthy reshapes the team....while i would love to have Adams, just have to be a bit more cautious now given the uncertainty

What team are you talking about?

aria

Reaction score
So what would you like to do?

Sit around and collect draft picks while we let the WR dynamic expire?

Or wait until Martin and Tyron cant play anymore?

Or wait until Daks third contract eats up 25% of the cap?

When do we actually try to get good enough to contend?

We are talking about adding an All Pro at a position of need.

What would you be hoping to do with those picks besides equal that?
I’m sorry, did I say anything about Jamal or the trade or what I would do? Please enlighten me.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
They don't need Adams. Daniel Sorensen played 100% of snaps in the Super Bowl. Rashad Fenton played 36%. Safeties just don't matter.

Tyrann Mathieu played most of his snaps at slot corner, before his name gets brought up. He's the type of player you go after aggressively, not Adams.

Blah...………..you cant make a blanket statement like that. Our secondary is about as raw and weak as it gets.

Next year 3/4 of our secondary are FA's.

All depends on who else you have on the defense. For an NFL team needing a leader on the back end of the defense or a leader at all Adams is the perfect antidote. But its all about price.

aria

Reaction score
Adams, if not thee top player at his position, is in the top two. He is an All Pro.

Cooper isnt in that discussion at his position, and will never earn an All Pro award.

Adams is a leader and would fire up that defense.

Cooper doesn't want to "cause a ruckus" when he is on the bench with the season on the line.

Should we go for it at some point or just keep collecting draft picks?
If you have a bunch of players on defense that need another player to get them fired up then we have a lot more positions of need than just safety. Perhaps Jerry should hire on Tony Robbins part time if you think this defense needs a motivational speaker.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I see 2 years as well.
Too much uncertainty this year. As to new coaching staff and schemes and no practices or meeting to instill this. Too many player turnover as well. The secondary, how will it play out. Same for the OL without Travis. Who steps up at RDE, will LVE be his self as in his rookie year. Will Jaylon bounce back.

If we had a complete off season, I may feel differently about it though.

What uncertainty? No reason this team shouldn't be able to compete for a SB THIS year barring injury setbacks.

Jipper

Reaction score
What team are you talking about?

cowboys....i think we have a lot of uncertainty...we think were going to be good but we did lose a lot and have a new coach....i think that in itself breeds caution....now if we were in year two of mccarthy i think id be more open to betting the farm, but at this point giving up a 1st for him and not knowing what that 1st would be is just too rich for me. Also, the fact that you have to resign him is an immediate hit vs the rookie salary benefit you would get from the 1st.

I would love to have him but cant be a first and even then im worried about the money situation.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I look at it this way, if they didn't trade for Adams, they might end up using that 1st rounder on a safety anyway.
I totally agree. Other than money. I’d rather have the safety I know right now that does well then take a chance on someone who might do well

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
The Kool Aid is flowing strong and early this year, don’t turn the spigots off so soon!

I agree with 100% of what you said, every year the Super Bowl chatter pops up and every year there’s a different excuse of why it will “really happen” the upcoming season. Every year the team is better than the year before, more experience, different coaching changes, blah blah blah. Some people don’t seem to realize there’s 31 other teams that are trying to get to the Super Bowl and they’re making improvements on paper as well.
Super Bowl, Super Bowl. Enthusiasm. Is it really Jerry holding us back. What do you do when you have everything in place but you don’t get there. Do you blame Tony do you blame Prescott. It takes 100% team locker room ownership to make it. This very well could be our time within the next two seasons. Excuse me for being enthusiastic

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
cowboys....i think we have a lot of uncertainty...we think were going to be good but we did lose a lot and have a new coach....i think that in itself breeds caution....now if we were in year two of mccarthy i think id be more open to betting the farm, but at this point giving up a 1st for him and not knowing what that 1st would be is just too rich for me. Also, the fact that you have to resign him is an immediate hit vs the rookie salary benefit you would get from the 1st.

I would love to have him but cant be a first and even then im worried about the money situation.
What we gained is better than what we lost. By far.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score
I look at it this way, if they didn't trade for Adams, they might end up using that 1st rounder on a safety anyway.
Some good safeties should be there next year. Should have picked Adderley, Thornhill or Rapp last year instead of Hill.