Trade for Jamal Adams and get Dak signed and we just might get to the SB

fivetwos

Reaction score
If you have a bunch of players on defense that need another player to get them fired up then we have a lot more positions of need than just safety. Perhaps Jerry should hire on Tony Robbins part time if you think this defense needs a motivational speaker.
I'm up for that if it works.

All I know is Michael Bennett was the only one pissed off about the NE game last year.

Everyone else on this team for whatever reason doesnt want to be the one to step up and lead.

Yeah hire Tony Robbins. Great idea, but stop shrugging shoulders at every poor effort and not hold each other accountable.

If you think this defense is complete is every way and they dont lead a leader or better safety play then all fine. Your opinion. I'm up for getting better and not waiting to fix things with draft picks while the strengths of the team get older and/or cant be retained.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I look at it this way, if they didn't trade for Adams, they might end up using that 1st rounder on a safety anyway.
Right, so you're dealing a 3rd to ensure your safety not only doesnt bust, but he becomes All Pro.

An extra one at that.

Worth it? Yeah probably.

The only question in my mind is if that's enough to get it done, and even I draw the line at that price.

aria

Reaction score
Super Bowl, Super Bowl. Enthusiasm. Is it really Jerry holding us back. What do you do when you have everything in place but you don’t get there. Do you blame Tony do you blame Prescott. It takes 100% team locker room ownership to make it. This very well could be our time within the next two seasons. Excuse me for being enthusiastic
Be as enthusiastic as you want, I don’t care if you’re disappointed. Having had high expectations for this team several times over the past two decades and to not even make it to the NFC championship I’ve lowered my enthusiasm but I’m very happy for you.

fivetwos

Reaction score
I look at it this way, if they didn't trade for Adams, they might end up using that 1st rounder on a safety anyway.
People treat they draft picks like gold now that the team never blows a single pick lol.

You cant go dealing picks for vets all that much and not get burnt, but this is different.

An All Pro at a position of need for a decade. Tell me safety play doesnt matter and I'll show you the last decade of Dallas Cowboys defense.

aria

Reaction score
I'm up for that if it works.

All I know is Michael Bennett was the only one pissed off about the NE game last year.

Everyone else on this team for whatever reason doesnt want to be the one to step up and lead.

Yeah hire Tony Robbins. Great idea, but stop shrugging shoulders at every poor effort and not hold each other accountable.

If you think this defense is complete is every way and they dont lead a leader or better safety play then all fine. Your opinion. I'm up for getting better and not waiting to fix things with draft picks while the strengths of the team get older and/or cant be retained.
Michael Bennett was the only one loud enough to be heard. Personally, I never felt the need to scream at the top of my lungs to want to rip the guys throat out standing in front of me and I sure as hell never needed a coach or another player to shout at me. If these million dollar divas can’t get in the right mindset to play an NFL game on their own than I wouldn’t want them on the team to begin with. I’ll take 10 guys like Bill Bates who wasn’t the most athletic player but had the most heart over some diva like zeke or dlaw any day.

I’m up for getting better but I don’t think giving up a first rounder for a safety that wants to be paid is going to be the difference maker nor do I think it bodes well for the future. Not only do we have to pay him AND give up a draft pick but we lose a rookie on a next to nothing pay scale for a few years which is critical to keep building this team.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Michael Bennett was the only one loud enough to be heard. Personally, I never felt the need to scream at the top of my lungs to want to rip the guys throat out standing in front of me and I sure as hell never needed a coach or another player to get shout at me. If these million dollar divas can’t get in the right mindset to play an NFL game on their own than I wouldn’t want them on the team to begin with. I’ll take 10 guys like Bill Bates who wasn’t the most athletic player but had the most heart over some diva like zeke or dlaw any day.

I’m up for getting better but I don’t think giving up a first rounder for a safety that wants to be paid is going to be the difference maker nor do I think it bodes well for the future. Not only do we have to pay him AND give up a draft pick but we lose a rookie on a next to nothing pay scale for a few years which is critical to keep building this team.
You're not wrong, but they dont.

And you cant hide bad play of anyone on a football field. Especially pass defense in the ERA of the pass.

I do understand the point of paying guys early and it catching up, and not dealing draft capital for vets and the whole deal, but this one teeters on making sense. IMO to the point of wanting to do it.

Theres almost no non QB I'd pay a 1st and a 3rd for, but he is one of them.

He is apparently a very underrated player.

The Jets fans I know and hear about on local radio dont want to trade him at ALL.

They know he isnt worth two firsts but still would rather keep him then deal him for that.

aria

Reaction score
You're not wrong, but they dont.

And you cant hide bad play of anyone on a football field. Especially pass defense in the ERA of the pass.

I do understand the point of paying guys early and it catching up, and not dealing draft capital for vets and the whole deal, but this one teeters on making sense. IMO to the point of wanting to do it.

Theres almost no non QB I'd pay a 1st and a 3rd for, but he is one of them.

He is apparently a very underrated player.

The Jets fans I know and hear about on local radio dont want to trade him at ALL.

They know he isnt worth two firsts but still would rather keep him then deal him for that.
I’m not adamant about not trading for him but ideally I would like a year to see how this team does without him. Every year teams get far in the playoffs, or to the SB, with weaknesses at safety or one of several other positions. I’d like to see how we do with the new coaching, a healthy LVE, FA acquisitions, etc before committing that much for him.

Pabst

Reaction score
My only concern is that if we keep trading high value draft picks for talent about to set the market at their positions, we're going to have a lot of high cost talent at a few positions, and not a whole lot else. Without draft picks to provide low-cost talent, the cap will be a big issue moving forward.

Whirlwin

Cowboy , It’s a way of life.
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Be as enthusiastic as you want, I don’t care if you’re disappointed. Having had high expectations for this team several times over the past two decades and to not even make it to the NFC championship I’ve lowered my enthusiasm but I’m very happy for you.
You don’t care if I’m disappointed. But you’re happy for me. OK

fivetwos

Reaction score
I’m not adamant about not trading for him but ideally I would like a year to see how this team does without him. Every year teams get far in the playoffs, or to the SB, with weaknesses at safety or one of several other positions. I’d like to see how we do with the new coaching, a healthy LVE, FA acquisitions, etc before committing that much for him.
Ya know in a perfect world Donovan Wilson was wrongly skipped over by the last staff and can play.

I'd MUCH rather see that happen.

Just...what are the odds it will, and when do we stop betting on 6th rounders at that spot?

I'm cool with seeing both sides to a very debatable point, and as far as the Adams thing goes, I get the feeling that ot doesnt make sense for Dallas to give up as much as the Jets FO needs to get for them to not be run out of town by the nutty fans.

Kwyn

Reaction score
Here is an issue with trading for Adams. Especially if multiple picks involved including 1st rounder. As the Jets will not back off of that.
Dallas traded away they 5th round pick in the draft to the Eagles, to jump up and punk them yet once again. And took Biadasz. The 6th round goes to the Patriots for Bennett.

We should have 4 comp picks coming, however, those are not set in stone, and we could end up with only 2 comp picks. if we trade away 2 hight picks, we may be left with just 5 picks and not 9 if we only get 2 comp picks. So don't go trading picks you do not have yet.

Now @stasheroo had a good post, about how we could get Adams for $12 million a year, which is much better. But at what cost. A 2nd for me, heck ya. But a 1st, may be a bit steep, but for that contract for 6 years. Yeah, it could be worth it. But just hate giving up those 1st rounders. Cooper was great, Adams, I am not so sure.
But if it happened, I probably would not complain, or if I did, not for long.
Nothing that I hate more than turning a late first round pick into a 24 year old All-Pro player.

Sucks when that happens

I wish all our late first round picks could end up like the guys listed below. It’s clear that late first round picks turn out to be all-pro more often than not

#25 overall since we last won a Super Bowl

2019 Marquis Brown WR
2018 Hayden Hurst TE
2017 Jabrill Peppers S
2016 Artie Buena CB
2015 Shaq Thompson OLB
2014 Jason Verrett CB
2013 Xavier Rhodes CB
2012 Dont'a Hightower ILB
2011 James Carpenter OG
2010 Tim Tebow QB
2009 Vonte Davis CB
2008 Mike Jenkins CB
2007 Jon Beason LB
2006 Santonio Holmes WR
2005 Jason Campbell QB
2004 Ahmad Carroll CB
2003 William Joseph DT
2002 Charles Grant DE
2001 Freddie Mitchell WR
2000 Chris Hovan DT
1999 Antuan Edwards FS
1998 Donovin Darius SS
1997 Jon Harris DE
1996 Jermane Mayberry G

Hell, our own Mike Jenkins May be the best on that list with his one pro bowl appearance

most of these guys didn’t even get a second contract

So, let’s not overvalue the pick, ok?
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: BAT

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
cowboys....i think we have a lot of uncertainty...we think were going to be good but we did lose a lot and have a new coach....i think that in itself breeds caution....now if we were in year two of mccarthy i think id be more open to betting the farm, but at this point giving up a 1st for him and not knowing what that 1st would be is just too rich for me. Also, the fact that you have to resign him is an immediate hit vs the rookie salary benefit you would get from the 1st.

I would love to have him but cant be a first and even then im worried about the money situation.

Me personally I think the coaching changes gives us less uncertainty there. Garrett is gone. I do agree that the 2nd year the schemes sink in more. BUT...………...the unpredictability, especially early will give us an advantage on how we run the offense. No one will know what to expect.

As far as the team, I believe much of the problems on defense have been addressed. Secondary for me is really the only big question marks.

Jipper

Reaction score
Me personally I think the coaching changes gives us less uncertainty there. Garrett is gone. I do agree that the 2nd year the schemes sink in more. BUT...………...the unpredictability, especially early will give us an advantage on how we run the offense. No one will know what to expect.

As far as the team, I believe much of the problems on defense have been addressed. Secondary for me is really the only big question marks.

I’m still very worried about the oline and the dline, plus losing our best player on defense hurts...like I said I hope we are good but honestly could see this as a 7 and 9 type of transition Season too...

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I’m still very worried about the oline and the dline, plus losing our best player on defense hurts...like I said I hope we are good but honestly could see this as a 7 and 9 type of transition Season too...

Bah...……...BJ the best player? No way. He was just a quiet corner that was good at shadowing the WR. He wasn't a leader or a play maker.

Oline I was worried, but after drafting Biadasz I think we have enough young talent to move forward there. Now if Smith goes down, yah, we are in trouble.

Dline I love. The two veteran DT's we got are great moves and those guys are leaders. I actually like the 3 man rotation over at RDE we will see. Lawrence is primed for a big year.

I see nothing at all as being "transition" anything. This is now a contender level team with good coaching for the next 3-4 years.

Better team, better talent, better defense all with much better coaching.

Dak entering his prime with a OC entering his 2nd season with MM to unleash him.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Sometimes I say things to keep it cordial.
I know what you mean. I don’t take things personal usually. Depends if I’ve had a bad day with the wife or not LOL good be safe my cowboy brother. We’re not supposed to agree on everything life doesn’t work that way. I wish more people were like us and understood that

aria

Reaction score
I know what you mean. I don’t take things personal usually. Depends if I’ve had a bad day with the wife or not LOL good be safe my cowboy brother. We’re not supposed to agree on everything life doesn’t work that way. I wish more people were like us and understood that
I hear ya, I do my best to try and not make things personal unless I feel the other person attacks me personally first. We’re all cheering for the same team and same results, we just have different thoughts of how to get there. Making it personal between ourselves is pretty lame and uncalled for although I’m sure I’ve been guilty myself.

Whirlwin

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I hear ya, I do my best to try and not make things personal unless I feel the other person attacks me personally first. We’re all cheering for the same team and same results, we just have different thoughts of how to get there. Making it personal between ourselves is pretty lame and uncalled for although I’m sure I’ve been guilty myself.
No I get it. I’m attacked first lucky I don’t get reported. LOL I’m from the old Cowboys fan Forum. Had a Landry’s hat. I guess that’s the level They award your. You start out as a rookie. Starter, coach, depending on how you do all the way up. Miss the old form. It could get pretty brutal You start out as a rookie. Starter, coach, depending on how you do all the way up. Miss the old forum. It could get pretty brutal But the point is I’ve never pressed the report button and I’ve never put anyone on ignore. Again be good be safe my cowboy brother I’m late