Trade up in 1st round for QB?

Johnny23

Reaction score
The chances of Dak developing into a franchise QB now are limited. He's got 32 starts. If he doesnt pass the 'eye test' now he never will.

The clock is also ticking on Daks cheap salary. I'd hate to see us over a barrell in 2 years time having to pay stupid money over multiple years to a QB who's not quite good enough.

Not every 1st round QB works out, but history has shown us time and time again that most elite QBs are drafted early in the 1st. If you get a shot at taking one you grab it. And I think the odds of hitting are much more than Dak improving significantly.
This is dumb, not every qb comes out like Dan Marino and goes ape on the league and plays like gangbusters. There's also better qbs coming up.in the next two drafts I would rather have then anyone in this yeara draft. None are worth mortgaging future picks for absolutely none.

Cattle_Rancher

Reaction score
I’ve seen enough of Dak that I think he can be successful in the right system. Right now it is up to Scott and JG to put him in that system or waste another year.

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
There are 4 QBs in the draft who are considered possible franchise QBs.

Using trade value charts, our 1st and 2nd rounders could get us up to c.#11 in the draft. A little extra or 2 x 1sts could interest SF or Oakland, neither of whom need a QB. Will also take us ahead of the Bills who are in the market for one of the 4 QBs.

There's a reasonable chance a QB we might want will still be on the board when the draft gets to SF. Should we be thinking about this trade?

I know some of you are thinking what about Dak? I think he's limited. Wont be an elite franchise QB. Worst case scenario we have a good backup for the next 2 seasons until hes a FA. Best case scenario is we get a pick or two back later this year in a trade - law of averages says at least one team will lose their starter for the season in preseason or the first month of the regular season.
How many years do you give the QB selected in the first round before you can make a judgement on whether or not he is worthy of a franchise contract?

egn22

Reaction score
i wonder how much better dak would have needed to be in his rookie year, to convince certain fans that despite a slump in the second half of his second season, he's still worth starting and building around.
You can't get much better than his rookie season. It's amazing to me, that's so casually just tossed out of the window as though it never happened.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
You can not be serious LOL

Theres literally nothing Dak does on the football field better than Russ. Its not even close

Overall production is about the same and so is the skill set.

On top of that Dak is handicapped by Jason Garrett and doesn’t have a defense like Wilson did.

You could say Wilson doesn’t have Daks support cast though.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Overall production is about the same and so is the skill set.

On top of that Dak is handicapped by Jason Garrett and doesn’t have a defense like Wilson did.

You could say Wilson doesn’t have Daks support cast though.
Not in their second years. Wilson got better on a team that was defensive minded, while Dak got substantially worse with all-pros on offense

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Not in their second years. Wilson got better on a team that was defensive minded, while Dak got substantially worse with all-pros on offense

Dak had a ridiculous rookie year. It would’ve been hard for him to “get better” statistically.

I think Daks numbers were down but he still had an ok year.

He’s just not ready to carry a team and neither was Russell Wilson at the same age.

Dak needs a run game and a defense. Just like Russel needed.

csirl

Reaction score
We have only two years left of Daks rookie contract. I really dont want us to be in a situation then where we have to pay silly money, over several years, to a QB who is not quite good enough.

Daks an extremely dedicated hard worker. I dont think his limitations will ever dissappear with coaching and hard work - he is what he is. The reality is the NFL is a passers league that is centered around elite passers - and this isnt changing anytime soon.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Using trade value charts, our 1st and 2nd rounders could get us up to c.#11 in the draft. A little extra or 2 x 1sts could interest SF or Oakland, neither of whom need a QB. Will also take us ahead of the Bills who are in the market for one of the 4 QBs.

There's a reasonable chance a QB we might want will still be on the board when the draft gets to SF. Should we be thinking about this trade?

I know some of you are thinking what about Dak? I think he's limited. Wont be an elite franchise QB. Worst case scenario we have a good backup for the next 2 seasons until hes a FA. Best case scenario is we get a pick or two back later this year in a trade - law of averages says at least one team will lose their starter for the season in preseason or the first month of the regular season.

Waste of time to talk about. They are invested in the CFL talent that is Dak Prescott. He's their guy. Enjoy the mediocrity.

PUSHfold

Reaction score
NFL is a passing league? Sure but more important the NFL is a league about winning...you play WHATEVER KIND OF BALL you have to play to win games. Dak may not be the prettiest but he can win us games, Dak wasn't as bad as people make him out to be this past year and he was A SECOND YEAR QB. You guys keep comparing him to 5-10 year veterans and expect him to play like that in year 2 and it's beyond stupid. You want to lay blame for last seasons offensive woes lay them on the O-Line and the coaching staff, period. This kid has shown enough that he deserves his shot to be our QB.
Giving up our 1st and 2nd round picks right now for whatever leftover QB may fall(that not many else want early obviously) is a really really dumb idea. I'd much rather fix the line and draft someone for defense with those 2 picks. It'll make our team a hell of a lot better.

Cowboysfan917

Reaction score
I'm not moving up this year.
We will know exactly what we have with Dak after this season.
That being said I am looking at the 2019 QB draft class a year ahead of time.
2019 QB class has potential... and if Dak plays that poorly, it probably means we are in the running for one of them next year.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score

Romoholics infecting this website as well? Sheesh!

Dak is our franchise QB. Accept it and move on already.

TheRomoSexual

Reaction score
The chances of Dak developing into a franchise QB now are limited. He's got 32 starts. If he doesnt pass the 'eye test' now he never will.

The clock is also ticking on Daks cheap salary. I'd hate to see us over a barrell in 2 years time having to pay stupid money over multiple years to a QB who's not quite good enough.

Not every 1st round QB works out, but history has shown us time and time again that most elite QBs are drafted early in the 1st. If you get a shot at taking one you grab it. And I think the odds of hitting are much more than Dak improving significantly.

I love when posters justify their positions with the "eye-test."

northerncowboynation

Reaction score
For sure man. That's what we're gonna do. That's how stupid this team is don't ya know. Did I say stupid, sorry typo, I meant brilliant:rolleyes:

Sandyf

Reaction score

You may not think Dak is the answer but better believe the coaches and front office do. Not a chance in Hades that Dallas will trade up for a QB. Will be draft a QB, maybe in the 5th, 5th or 7th round but Dak is going to be the guy for quite a while. We heard these same arguements several years back with Romo and the same thing happen, that would be nothing.