Trade up, should we?

morasp

Reaction score
Trade ups were cheap in round 1, start out offering our fifth and see if they bite. I would love to jump the Eagles. That being said I re-ran the simulator taking into account the first round picks and it came out the same as before with a lot of really good players at 58 and 90.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Trade ups were cheap in round 1, start out offering our fifth and see if they bite. I would love to jump the Eagles. That being said I re-ran the simulator taking into account the first round picks and it came out the same as before with a lot of really good players at 58 and 90.
I think Indy and Seattle are safety competition too.

NeonNinja

Dash28
Reaction score
I would go get one of the safeties. I’m not sure who we have rated highest but I would definitely be fine going up for Adderley, Thornhill and even Rapp. Like CGJ too but rumor he didn’t interview well with us.

Pants

Reaction score
top 10 safeties left (from my sheet)

O.Rank --- PLAYER --- POS --- TEAM --- Height --- Weight
43 --- Adderley, Nasir --- S --- Delaware --- 6' 0" --- 206
44 --- Rapp, Taylor --- S --- Washington --- 6' 0" --- 208
45 --- Gardner-Johnson, Chauncey --- S --- Florida --- 5' 11" --- 210
54 --- Thompson, Deionte --- S --- Alabama --- 6' 1" --- 195
66 --- Thornhill, Juan --- S --- Virginia --- 6' 0" --- 205
84 --- Hooker, Amani --- S --- Iowa --- 5' 11" --- 210
108 --- Johnson, Jaquan --- S --- Miami (Fla.) --- 5' 10" --- 191
134 --- Bell, Mike --- S --- Fresno St. --- 6' 3" --- 210
144 --- Blair, Marquise --- S --- Utah --- 6' 1" --- 195
153 --- Redwine, Sheldrick --- S --- Miami (Fla.) --- 6' 0" --- 196

Cowboys22

Reaction score
I would go get the safety I like the most and would use Taco and any pick except #90 to do it. That would include picks from next year starting in round 3. This draft will be an instant success with Cooper already in the fold and a top safety chosen. If they wait until 58, they will see the top 3 or 4 guys left get taken. I say go get the one you want.

VACowboy

Reaction score
Brugler's post-first second day mock has Adderley, Gardner-Johnson and Thornhill all going between 53 and 56. If we get to 50 and those guys are left and the team doesn't trade up for one of them I am going to do something quite violent.

Titleist

Reaction score
Brugler's post-first second day mock has Adderley, Gardner-Johnson and Thornhill all going between 53 and 56. If we get to 50 and those guys are left and the team doesn't trade up for one of them I am going to do something quite violent.
What are your thoughts on Thornhill? I don't follow much ACC football

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
Where I'd trade up is to somewhere around 70, if I can keep 90. There's going to be a safety/corner there at 58 so, in theory, you could go

58 - Thornhill/Gardner Johnson
70 - Isabella/Campbell
90 - T Hill

Maybe you move up from 90 too, a bit, but if you come out of the draft with just those 3 players, you're not doing too bad, considering no 1st.

Kolemmitt

Reaction score
I would LOVE to jump right in front of Philly, grab one the best remaining safeties and tell the whole world we stole him from Philly. Don't care if its true or not, probably wasn't true with Dallas Godert last year, but everyone in the social media verse believes it.

VACowboy

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on Thornhill? I don't follow much ACC football
My opinion on Juan are pretty well documented, but...

I wouldn't draft him to play linebacker. If you have to have a Roy Williams-type enforcer Thornhill isn't your guy. But while he may not be a thumper he is a very good tackler. I know numbers aren't everything but he racked up 45 and 63 as a soph and junior playing corner and then 98 last year in his first season at safety. He picked off six balls in '18 and had seven PBs, four and 12 the year before and three and seven in his first year as a starter. In three years playing heavy minutes he never missed a game. He's big, long, fast and.explosive, maybe the best athlete in the draft, with great instincts and hops to go get the ball. And his college productivity shows it, but he has steadily improved over career and I think his best football may be ahead of him. All I know is, at Virginia he covered like a blanket and was always.around the ball.

(FYI: I hate it when people homer out on players from their favorite school. My opinion of JT comes purely from watching him in person for four years and seeing a heck of a football player.)

Last edited:

Sydla

Reaction score
My opinion on Juan are pretty well documented, but...

I wouldn't draft him to play linebacker. If you have to have a Roy Williams-type enforcer Thornhill isn't your guy. But while he may not be a thumper he is a very good tackler. I know numbers aren't everything but he racked up 45 and 63 as a soph and junior playing corner and then 98 last year in his first season at safety. He picked off six balls in '18 and had seven PBs, four and 12 the year before and three and seven in his first year as a starter. In three years playing heavy minutes he never missed a game. He's big, long, fast and.explosive, maybe the best athlete in the draft, with great instincts and hops to go get the ball. And his college productivity shows it, but he has steadily improved over career and I think his best football may be ahead of him. All I know is, he covers like a blanket and is always.around the ball.

(FYI: I hate it when people homer out on players from their favorite school. My opinion of JT comes purely from watching him in person for four years and seeing a heck of a football player.)

He's my guy at 58 over Rapp. But I think Thornhill is going to be gone long before we pick. Maybe Philly right before us. Ugh.

VACowboy

Reaction score
He's my guy at 58 over Rapp. But I think Thornhill is going to be gone long before we pick. Maybe Philly right before us. Ugh.

If we get that close to filling our greatest need with a great player and let Philly mess it up...

Like I said, violence.

Smith22

Reaction score
Comes down to ratings I suppose, but if they REALLY like a certain player, I would rather move up 5-8 spots rather than settle for leftovers.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Just pull up the trade value charts to see what we'll need.

Every single trade recently has been within 10% of that chart and most have been within 3-5%.

Yesterday, all 6 trades used the charts clearly.

Our 2nd (58) and 3rd (90) will get us up to about 44ish
Our 2nd and 4th will get us to about 53ish
Out 2nd and 5th will get us to about 55ish

We could get all the way up to 39 (38-40 range) with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th...no thanks

morasp

Reaction score
Just pull up the trade value charts to see what we'll need.

Every single trade recently has been within 10% of that chart and most have been within 3-5%.

Yesterday, all 6 trades used the charts clearly.

Our 2nd (58) and 3rd (90) will get us up to about 44ish
Our 2nd and 4th will get us to about 53ish
Out 2nd and 5th will get us to about 55ish

We could get all the way up to 39 (38-40 range) with our 2nd, 3rd and 4th...no thanks
So the Commanders moved up from 46 to 26 for their 46 and a second next year? That seems pretty cheap since next year picks have to be worth less than this years.