Trades

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Boysboy;2325886 said:
I know-he's very good, I'll acknowledge that. However-for the most part, he had a monster in Baltimore. The personnel almost rivalved the '85 Bears. However-his stint with the Commanders in '02 was less than stellar, largely b/c his personnel there was subpar(everyone wondered why the Skins D were poor tacklers, and Lewis was labeled a poor disciplinarian). And Cincy doesn't have very good personnel either. Just as long as Ocho Cinco is on that team, Mike Brown will be satisfied with the $$$$ he's bringing in.

Pt being that we may need some overhaul on our D side of the ball.
I agree about the talent on D in Baltimore. It's hard to go wrong with that group.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2325871 said:
More than likely we will end up with Campo as DC when Garrett takes over for Wade, whenever that happens to be.

I dont think Campo coaches the 3-4......but i would like to see them go back to the 4-3 myself anyway

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
dadymat;2326071 said:
I dont think Campo coaches the 3-4......but i would like to see them go back to the 4-3 myself anyway

IDK I like Ware as OLB and if we go back to the 4-3 he would be a DE.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LeonDixson;2325871 said:
If we wait until next year we might be able to get Marvin Lewis as a DC. I don't think he's going to survive this year in Cincy.

More than likely we will end up with Campo as DC when Garrett takes over for Wade, whenever that happens to be.
If Garrett were promoted to HC I think he'd bring Dom Capers in to be the DC. I think the reason Capers is not here is directly proportional to the speculation he would be Garrett's DC in Atlanta or Baltimore if he took one of those jobs.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2326072 said:
IDK I like Ware as OLB and if we go back to the 4-3 he would be a DE.

good point.... i just dont like our D since we changed to the 3-4

Boysboy

Reaction score
Hostile;2326098 said:
If Garrett were promoted to HC I think he'd bring Dom Capers in to be the DC. I think the reason Capers is not here is directly proportional to the speculation he would be Garrett's DC in Atlanta or Baltimore if he took one of those jobs.

Capers is currently Belichick's secondary coach. I would LOVE to have Dom, but I would think BB will do everything to promote him to DC *first* before anything else.

Besides, it wasn't like Belichick hired him for nothing. When he hired him to merely be on his coaching staff, I'm sure he had a very good reason for future plans.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2325730 said:
Kevin Boss. I would rather not see Tony Gonzales with the Giants, they already have enough playmakers to throw at our defense.

Oh, I agree but you can't build your team drafting and trading for player's to keep them off your rivals. Won't work although if you did it once then I don't know........

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Boysboy;2326120 said:
Capers is currently Belichick's secondary coach. I would LOVE to have Dom, but I would think BB will do everything to promote him to DC *first* before anything else.

Besides, it wasn't like Belichick hired him for nothing. When he hired him to merely be on his coaching staff, I'm sure he had a very good reason for future plans.
What would he do with Dean Pees who has been with him for 5 years?

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
Hostile;2326098 said:

Good point. That would be preferable as far as I'm concerned.

juck

Reaction score
Hostile;2326098 said:

He will be next year,unless wade wins the SB.Capers is a very good DC.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Hostile;2326216 said:
What would he do with Dean Pees who has been with him for 5 years?

Since Crenell left in '05, the Pats D hasn't been nearly as effective.

'06 AFC Title game against the Colts - blew a 21-3 late 1st half lead and ended up losing 35-31.

'07 Super Bowl - blow a 7-3 4th quarter lead against the Giants, including the game winning drive by them in the final 2 minutes. And for that matter too, they got exposed in the 2nd half of that season, even against mediocre offenses.

If anything, they've gotten progressively worse overall. It's no coincidence that BB added Capers to his coaching staff this year, so would think Pees would be on a shorter leash if the Pats D continues to regress.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Don't think the Pats can refuse to allow him to go to a DC job or HC job. Isn't that the rule?

EveryoneElse

Reaction score
jobberone;2326414 said:
Don't think the Pats can refuse to allow him to go to a DC job or HC job. Isn't that the rule?

I know you can't make a lateral move to another team if you're under contract.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Boysboy;2326391 said:
Since Crenell left in '05, the Pats D hasn't been nearly as effective.

'06 AFC Title game against the Colts - blew a 21-3 late 1st half lead and ended up losing 35-31.

'07 Super Bowl - blow a 7-3 4th quarter lead against the Giants, including the game winning drive by them in the final 2 minutes. And for that matter too, they got exposed in the 2nd half of that season, even against mediocre offenses.

If anything, they've gotten progressively worse overall. It's no coincidence that BB added Capers to his coaching staff this year, so would think Pees would be on a shorter leash if the Pats D continues to regress.
That is a fascinating theory.

Romeo Crennell was the DC in New England from 2001 through 2004.

2001...274 points allowed.
2002...346 points allowed.
2003...238 points allowed.
2004...260 points allowed.

Averages out to 279.5 points allowed.

2005...neither Pees nor Crennel was DC...338 points allowed.

Pees took over as DC in 2006.

2006...237 points allowed.
2007...274 points allowed.

Averages out to 255.5 points allowed.

Boysboy

Reaction score
Hostile;2326421 said:
That is a fascinating theory.

Romeo Crennell was the DC in New England from 2001 through 2004.

2001...274 points allowed.
2002...346 points allowed.
2003...238 points allowed.
2004...260 points allowed.

Averages out to 279.5 points allowed.

2005...neither Pees nor Crennel was DC...338 points allowed.

Pees took over as DC in 2006.

2006...237 points allowed.
2007...274 points allowed.

Averages out to 255.5 points allowed.

Mangini was the DC in '05-his playcalling duties were stripped later in that year. Ultimately, it's no surprise that he's been an underwhelmer in NYJ.

Anyhow-interesting stats you posted-I assumed the Pats D was subpar w/o Crenell b/c of their playoff meltdown games where they had late leads that evaporated.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
EveryoneElse;2326420 said:
I know you can't make a lateral move to another team if you're under contract.

You can move from an asst coach to a coordinator or head coach at any time. The only thing the current team can do is to encourage the current coach to stay on with money and/or a promotion. As Jerry did with Garrett by giving more money and asst HC.

I don't think you can make a pure lateral move unless the next team adds a title to it like asst DC, or LB coach and asst HC yada yada. There's a way to do it with money and titles up to a point.

Phantom

Benched
Reaction score
I think Stewart and his stupid little soft zone defense will be gone when Garrett becomes head coach.

Capers would be a excellent guy, hes a defensive guru, he has a lot of cool "multiple" set packages on defense, and if given the talent, he can work wonders if I were an opposing quarterback I would be shaking in my boots, this guy is the definition of "attacking defense".