Trading for Peterson could have saved season

Galian Beast

Reaction score
A lot of people scoffed at the idea of trading for Adrian Peterson, but I strongly believe that he could have at least gotten us to first in the division, and potentially not have put Romo in position to get hurt in either instance.

This year the NFC is an absolute mess, paving the way for a completely overrated Panthers team to walk their way to the NFC Championship and probably the Super Bowl.

This is why many of us suggest making bold moves like this, not because it is "Madden", but because every year is special and unique in the sense that you have to make each year count. This could definitely have been our year. The defense is playing well enough, if the offense was the same or better than it always was...

I like the McFadden signing based on what was available at the time, but I thought we still needed to do more. I thought McFadden would be a better fit for our offense than Murray, but he really hasn't shown the burst that I thought he would have. He doesn't seem to have a 3rd gear at all. As a result, our team has a serious lack of speed all around. Dunbar actually has our longest run (45 yards). Randle has our 2nd longest at 37. The longest run McFadden has had is 35 yards. He only has 3 runs of more than 20 yards.

Our offense is in dire need of some catalytic players outside of Dez (who himself isn't all that fast).

The only player we have (who plays... Brice Butler) and and stretch a defense is Terrance Williams and everyone knows how I feel about his consistency.

Teams don't need to respect the pass and as a result they can shut down our running game. Surprised we haven't lobbed it out to Dez more often, maybe someone who is looking at tape can tell if they have shut that down with some single high or cover 2/man 2.

All of which makes the lack of Beasley/Escobar even more perplexing, because at least these guys are matchup nightmares.

We've got an average speed elite WR, we have sub average speed elite tight end, and a bit above average speed inconsistent WR2.

The reason why this offense works so well is Romo buys it time to develop, that and his ability to scan the field and his quick release. You don't get that kind of time when see that teams aren't afraid that you will burn them on the blitz. If we had Peterson or any catalytic player, it would at least help keep the defense honest.

The book on stopping this Cowboys offense is too good.

- Make them go the entire field against you without killing themselves with penalties, drops, turnovers, or blown protections.
- Blitz the run and the pass
- Take Dez out of the game.
- Respect Witten, but don't fear him. He is no longer a game breaker, especially without Romo.
- Limit them to field goals as best as possible, that way your offense can play each series without stress that they need to put points on the board against a defense that could potentially make you pay for it.

I believe fixing the secondary and getting a real defensive tackle to replace Hayden is the priority for this defense, but we need to get a catalytic player on this offense one way or another. Even with the return of Dunbar, we should not rely on him to be the spark for this offense.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
I was all for acquiring Peterson but the Vikings called his bluff and he folded. They aren't trading him after the year they've had.

Although, him questioning the coaching decisions won't go over well with Zimmer.

RS12

Reaction score
A lot of people scoffed at the idea of trading for Adrian Peterson, but I strongly believe that he could have at least gotten us to first in the division, and potentially not have put Romo in position to get hurt in either instance.

I strongly believe the Minnesota wasnt bluffing when they said he would play for them or nobody. It was a non starter the whole time.

Joe Realist

No Kool-Aid here!
Reaction score
He and Hardy could have been great theater - just kidding. He was not getting traded!

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nope. Not unless he can throw the football. Or take it away from somebody.

Though I do think having Dunbar healthy probably would have us in first place right about now. And by that, I mean at at least 5 wins. 5 big ones. 5+ W's. Kicking back with our share of first place.

cml750

Reaction score
Not unless he would help with the offensive game plans so the other team don't know what we are doing 95% of the time before we snap the ball.

Last edited:

Dave_in-NC

Reaction score
Nope. Not unless he can throw the football. Or take it away from somebody.

Though I do think having Dunbar healthy probably would have us in first place right about now. And by that, I mean at at least 5 wins. 5 big ones. 5+ W's. Kicking back with our share of first place.

:laugh:

Manwiththeplan

Reaction score
The reason people use the Madden joke is because he wasn't available. Yes, any player can be made available for the right price, but given everything Minnesota said this offseason, and everything they did this offseason (not bringing in any other RBs), there was no reason to believe that they were interested in letting him go. They even gave in and restructured his contract, giving him more guaranteed money, which is all he wanted from the beginning, when he had little to no leverage. And how would you feel about this season if we gave up a first rounder and Romo still goes down, and we're sitting at 4-8? Who knows how effective he'd be here with Brandon Weeden+Matt Cassel at QB

Vanilla2

Reaction score
More then anything I think Romo sticking with the play as called would've saved the season

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
More then anything I think Romo sticking with the play as called would've saved the season

Agreed

Two things:

1. No one here knows for sure if AP was a reality or not. If Jerry would have thrown out crazy offer. He would have been a cowboy.

2. Without a doubt AP helps lead to 1, 2 or maybe 3 wins during that 7 game losing streak.

plymkr

Reaction score
I would have rather kept Murray than get AP, Murray had chemistry with the line and Romo. Who knows what Peterson could have done. Sometimes these high priced free agents don't work out. Like Murray at Philly for example. When I found out they wouldn't keep Murray cuz of the money then I wasn't a fan of AP coming here. I mean maybe for a few days I was in panic mode and hoped they'd get him but once panic mode stopped I was fine with it. I'm a believer if you got a guy in your system that you drafted it's better to keep your own than try the Free Agency route. IMO

Ultra Warrior

6 Million Light-years beyond believability.
Reaction score
1. We were never going to get him.
2. Him being here would make no difference. We'd still be dealing with injuries to key players & he may have very well been added to the list.
3. This is what we are. Accept it & stop second guessing moves that were never going to happen.
4. Keep rooting for what we are & hope we can be better as the season goes forward.