Trading for Peterson could have saved season

TwoDeep3

Reaction score
The reason this team is where it is running back wise is because Stephen and Jerry thought theu could get AP and allowed their league leading RB to walk.

The silliness continues about AP.

DallasDW00ds0n

Reaction score
I agree with the original poster. I was curious if an AP post would ever comeback because i swore on this board i was told AP is washed up.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A lot of people scoffed at the idea of trading for Adrian Peterson, but I strongly believe that he could have at least gotten us to first in the division, and potentially not have put Romo in position to get hurt in either instance.

This year the NFC is an absolute mess, paving the way for a completely overrated Panthers team to walk their way to the NFC Championship and probably the Super Bowl.

This is why many of us suggest making bold moves like this, not because it is "Madden", but because every year is special and unique in the sense that you have to make each year count. This could definitely have been our year. The defense is playing well enough, if the offense was the same or better than it always was...

I like the McFadden signing based on what was available at the time, but I thought we still needed to do more. I thought McFadden would be a better fit for our offense than Murray, but he really hasn't shown the burst that I thought he would have. He doesn't seem to have a 3rd gear at all. As a result, our team has a serious lack of speed all around. Dunbar actually has our longest run (45 yards). Randle has our 2nd longest at 37. The longest run McFadden has had is 35 yards. He only has 3 runs of more than 20 yards.

Our offense is in dire need of some catalytic players outside of Dez (who himself isn't all that fast).

The only player we have (who plays... Brice Butler) and and stretch a defense is Terrance Williams and everyone knows how I feel about his consistency.

Teams don't need to respect the pass and as a result they can shut down our running game. Surprised we haven't lobbed it out to Dez more often, maybe someone who is looking at tape can tell if they have shut that down with some single high or cover 2/man 2.

All of which makes the lack of Beasley/Escobar even more perplexing, because at least these guys are matchup nightmares.

We've got an average speed elite WR, we have sub average speed elite tight end, and a bit above average speed inconsistent WR2.

The reason why this offense works so well is Romo buys it time to develop, that and his ability to scan the field and his quick release. You don't get that kind of time when see that teams aren't afraid that you will burn them on the blitz. If we had Peterson or any catalytic player, it would at least help keep the defense honest.

The book on stopping this Cowboys offense is too good.

- Make them go the entire field against you without killing themselves with penalties, drops, turnovers, or blown protections.
- Blitz the run and the pass
- Take Dez out of the game.
- Respect Witten, but don't fear him. He is no longer a game breaker, especially without Romo.
- Limit them to field goals as best as possible, that way your offense can play each series without stress that they need to put points on the board against a defense that could potentially make you pay for it.

I believe fixing the secondary and getting a real defensive tackle to replace Hayden is the priority for this defense, but we need to get a catalytic player on this offense one way or another. Even with the return of Dunbar, we should not rely on him to be the spark for this offense.

Once again you ignore the price. And although this team may or may not have made the playoffs, we would have again gotten rejected swiftly with Romo out. Unless you call making the playoffs at something like 8-8 being saved. Which I do not.

And then that trade alone may have ruined the rebuilding process going forward. We probably would have had to give up our first round pick coming up. Which may be a top 5 pick when this is all said and done. We can see quite clearly that other than Romo, there are problems with this team on both sides of the ball that need addressing. And we certainly need both a top young QB for the future, and a capable backup QB going forward. Neither will be cheap in the way of money or draft picks.

pancakeman

Reaction score
So many Cowboys losses have been so close this year, that just about any marginal improvement would have been enough to tip one to a few of those games into wins and put the team in first place in this miserable division. So if you want to play the regrets game, I'd choose one of the could-haves that would have less impact on the rebuilding process than a big trade for AP.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Peterson would not have prevented that injury. The injury was on an empty back formation which we run a lot of. And Peterson has never been known as a good blocker. In fact, McFadden is a far better blocker than Peterson. It's not even close. But again, it was an empty backfield play.

The thing I can say about Peterson is that has been able to make offenses go with abysmal Quarterbacks. But, between what we would have traded for a 30-year old RB along with his cap hit, it's a 'now or never' approach to the game. I would rather do what we did at tailback so we are not putting all of our eggs in one basket and we can continue to build for the future.

YR

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Peterson-to-Dallas dream is like an unstoppable zombie from The Walking Dead who you can shoot in the head with a bazooka but it never dies.

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
This makes about as much sense as discussing why didn't we trade for Aaron Rodgers.
The offer was never on the table to make this hypothetical trade for AP.

Yes, that's the issue. For all we know, Jerry might have traded for him if he'd actually been made available. There's no indication that Minnesota was really fielding any offers.

erod

Reaction score
With Romo, I wanted Peterson badly.

Without Romo, that would have been wasted money and picks.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
I think they should have traded for Antonio Brown and J.J. Watt too.

Sasquatch

Lost in the Woods
Reaction score
I agree with the OP. The addition of Patrick Peterson would have shored up the secondary and give a boost to the return game that likely would have resulted in a few more wins.

Oh, you meant the other Peterson? I agree with those claiming it was never really an option since the Vikings were intent on keeping him.

links18

Reaction score
I don't know if AP coming Dallas was ever possible or not, but the real question for me was did the Jones boys think they were going to get him and thus deal with Murray situation the way they did?

JoeBoBBY

Reaction score
Well, one thing we can all agree on.

Joe Randle wasnt the answer. And, Peterson still has some legs.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
woulda shoulda coulda...but we didn't so it matters not.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
A lot of people scoffed at the idea of trading for Adrian Peterson, but I strongly believe that he could have at least gotten us to first in the division, and potentially not have put Romo in position to get hurt in either instance.

This year the NFC is an absolute mess, paving the way for a completely overrated Panthers team to walk their way to the NFC Championship and probably the Super Bowl.

This is why many of us suggest making bold moves like this, not because it is "Madden", but because every year is special and unique in the sense that you have to make each year count. This could definitely have been our year. The defense is playing well enough, if the offense was the same or better than it always was...

I like the McFadden signing based on what was available at the time, but I thought we still needed to do more. I thought McFadden would be a better fit for our offense than Murray, but he really hasn't shown the burst that I thought he would have. He doesn't seem to have a 3rd gear at all. As a result, our team has a serious lack of speed all around. Dunbar actually has our longest run (45 yards). Randle has our 2nd longest at 37. The longest run McFadden has had is 35 yards. He only has 3 runs of more than 20 yards.

Our offense is in dire need of some catalytic players outside of Dez (who himself isn't all that fast).

The only player we have (who plays... Brice Butler) and and stretch a defense is Terrance Williams and everyone knows how I feel about his consistency.

Teams don't need to respect the pass and as a result they can shut down our running game. Surprised we haven't lobbed it out to Dez more often, maybe someone who is looking at tape can tell if they have shut that down with some single high or cover 2/man 2.

All of which makes the lack of Beasley/Escobar even more perplexing, because at least these guys are matchup nightmares.

We've got an average speed elite WR, we have sub average speed elite tight end, and a bit above average speed inconsistent WR2.

The reason why this offense works so well is Romo buys it time to develop, that and his ability to scan the field and his quick release. You don't get that kind of time when see that teams aren't afraid that you will burn them on the blitz. If we had Peterson or any catalytic player, it would at least help keep the defense honest.

The book on stopping this Cowboys offense is too good.

- Make them go the entire field against you without killing themselves with penalties, drops, turnovers, or blown protections.
- Blitz the run and the pass
- Take Dez out of the game.
- Respect Witten, but don't fear him. He is no longer a game breaker, especially without Romo.
- Limit them to field goals as best as possible, that way your offense can play each series without stress that they need to put points on the board against a defense that could potentially make you pay for it.

I believe fixing the secondary and getting a real defensive tackle to replace Hayden is the priority for this defense, but we need to get a catalytic player on this offense one way or another. Even with the return of Dunbar, we should not rely on him to be the spark for this offense.

Who was the poster that kept claiming "We will be just fine with these RB's" in reference to Randle, Dunbar, McFadden?

Anyone want to man up to that comment?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Who was the poster that kept claiming "We will be just fine with these RB's" in reference to Randle, Dunbar, McFadden?

Anyone want to man up to that comment?

I thought we would be fine with them. I thought together they provided enough elements WITH Romo that our offense wouldn't struggle. Part of me still believes that as Dunbar was being really well utilized.

That being said, I was heavily on board with getting Peterson or another running back.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I thought we would be fine with them. I thought together they provided enough elements WITH Romo that our offense wouldn't struggle. Part of me still believes that as Dunbar was being really well utilized.

That being said, I was heavily on board with getting Peterson or another running back.

Dunbar was a very nice surprise, but his injury wasnt. The only real surprise is that McChicken hasnt gotten hurt yet. But his ineffectiveness and his lifetime 3 yards per carry average is not. For all his speed the guy simply never breaks long runs ever. After 8 years of watching him butcher the football field its incredibly frustrating to think that Jones thought that the results would be anything different. I'm actually starting to get paranoid that Jones is going to resign McFadden and give him the job again next year. This could get worse.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Dunbar was a very nice surprise, but his injury wasnt. The only real surprise is that McChicken hasnt gotten hurt yet. But his ineffectiveness and his lifetime 3 yards per carry average is not. For all his speed the guy simply never breaks long runs ever. After 8 years of watching him butcher the football field its incredibly frustrating to think that Jones thought that the results would be anything different. I'm actually starting to get paranoid that Jones is going to resign McFadden and give him the job again next year. This could get worse.

I think if he gets resigned it is as a #2 but I'm not sure that is a great idea either. Think I'd prefer Elliot, Turbin, Dunbar

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
I think if he gets resigned it is as a #2 but I'm not sure that is a great idea either. Think I'd prefer Elliot, Turbin, Dunbar

Dunbar is a great talent, but he simply cant handle the NFL. Who is Elliot? Personally, I would start from scratch with a pick in the first 3 rounds, and a solid veteran or two. McFadden needs to retire.