Recommended Training Camp Review 8/3

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I've reviewed all of the video that I can find of training camp.
That includes Training Camp Live with Broaddus and multiple twitter sources.
I've also received some video from friends that are at TC.

There is no tackling allowed; therefore I didn't try to evaluate inside running.

The players that have stood out the most often are Pollard and Gallup.

RB
Tony Pollard
Jumps off the screen with dynamic speed/quickness.

RB
Mike Weber
The term muscle-hamster comes to mind. Not that he is small (5-10, 208) but he has that compact muscular RB build. He has good balance and quickness. He looked really good as a receiver from what I saw; although, I saw a report that he had some drops.

RB-FB
Jamize Olawale
Odd build for a FB with long legs, short torso. He looks really good as a receiver. He showed decent speed on a go route down the sidelines.

TE
Dalton Schultz
He had some impressive blocks against DLinemen. Really strong with good blocking technique.

TE
Blake Jarwin
He has had many impressive catches and he moves really well.

TE
Jason Witten
He looks leaner than in 2017. He seems to be running better than in 2017 also. He is still great at catching the ball and he can catch passes over DB even when they have good coverage. He made a great 1-handed catch down at the front corner of the goal-line.

WR
Gallup
Really good at getting open and catches the ball when it's thrown to him.

WR
Cooper
It's just not fair to CBs trying to cover him 1-on-1. The change of direction quickness is just freakish.

WR
Devin Smith
Nothing yet. Just a couple of dump off type catches. Maybe they're going slow with him considering his injury history but a veteran even with limited playing time should be keeping up with rookie UDFAs in training camp and that's not happening at this point.

WR
Jon'Vea Johnson
He does have "easy speed" where running just looks easy. I like how he gets separation after the ball is in the air.

WR
Jalen Guyton
He makes deep catches look easy. He is really fast with good size.

WR
Cedrick Wilson
I've only seen him on a couple of plays but both times he got "wide" open on 12 yard type routes.

WR
Reggie Davis
Fast but really thin. He was walking next to Tavon Austin and Austin looked like a bulked up body builder in comparison.

WR
Randall Cobb
He has shown up in many of the videos. He has appeared to be out of sync on a few plays; however, my feeling is that the Cowboys offensive might need to adapt to him more than him adapting to it.

WR
Darius Jackson
He looks good when they're not tackling but we already know he is very athletic. He does seem more comfortable executing the plays and as a receiver than I remember.

OL
Connor Williams
Looks great in the few snaps I've seen. Definitely stronger.

OL
Joe Looney
Looks better than in camp last year and he wasn't bad then.

OL
Derrick Puni
I have not seen his blocking because he's been at LT and the cameras angles have not shown that side very well but I noticed him because he is big and was moving well in the open field.

QB
Cooper Rush
Maybe we've underestimated him. He has looked really good from everything I've seen.

QB
Mike White
I've seen him make some really nice passes but it appears he still has issues being reluctant to throw. He tends to move on in his progressions when he should have thrown to the 1st or 2nd read.

DB
Donovan Wilson
Solid build and moves around well.

DB
Chris Westry
Looked reasonably coordinated and agile for a tall CB. In college game footage he looked awkward but what I saw in training camp was much better.

DB
Mike Jackson
Solid build. Moves well. Didn't look lost. I didn't see the ball go in his direction enough to see much of him.

DB
Donovan Olumba
Playing CB. Looks like a Strong Safety. Has looked good covering in the short area. I would like to see how he looks when challenged on downfield throws.

DB
Treston Decoud
I just don't see it with him.

DB
Anthony Brown
Looks great in all the plays that I’ve seen.

DB
Jourdan Lewis
All or Nothing results. He looked great in a few plays and got totally burned in others. He had good coverage on a deep route by Cooper but then got burned on consecutive plays by UDFA WRs.

DL
Jalen Jelks
He just appears to know how to play with leverage. He uses his length to his advantage. He looks bigger than his draft weight.

DL
Joe Jackson
Really flashed on the few snaps I saw. He showed really good power in a bull-rush and he moves around really well.

DL
Dorance Armstrong
Not flashy but looks like a solid player that really battles OLinemen. Reminds me of DLaw in some ways.

DL
Trysten Hill
I've only seen a couple of snaps. He is very quick but he has a tendency to get out of control and end up on the ground. It's a coach-able issue.

DL
Daniel Wise
He has flashed as a pass rushing DT but his build looks more like a DE. These camera angles in particular show a stark contract the size of his legs as compared to the massive legs of DTs like Maliek Collins.

DL
Taco Charlton
Better than last year.

LB
Luke Gifford
Impressive looking physically for a 4-3 type LB. Tall with a solid build and moves well. In college he played as a 3-4 LB and made plays with effort but just didn't have the build of a pass rusher.

LB
Kyle Queiro
I just keep noticing him. He moves well laterally. He was the only LB other than Vander Esch that appeared to come close to catching Tony Pollard on outside runs.

LB
Justin March-Lillard
All or Nothing results. I've seen him make several really good plays but then I've seen him get burned multiple times.

LB
Chris Covington
He is practicing now. He has good size and moved well getting out to the sideline to cover a RB.

Players I saw glimpses of but need to see more.
OL
Mitch Hyatt
Big and moves well.

DB
George Iloka
I only saw him up near the line. I didn't see him running in the open field.

DB
Darian Thompson

DL
Kerry Hyder
I just saw a couple of snaps with him at LDE. Both were run plays.

DL
Christian Covington
I just saw one or two snaps. He moves well for a DT.

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
Awesome post. Thanks for taking the time to cover so many players. The other websites focus on just a couple guys.

While you note that March-Lillard got burned a few times, I still think he makes the roster since he's so good on special teams.

I also can't wait to see Pollard and Weber in preseason games. They might end up giving Dallas the ultimate leverage in their dealings with Zeke.

Kaiser

Reaction score
Great thread.

Romo was a guy that played poorly in games but much better on the field, Prescott is the same way. I've always thought Cooper Rush was the opposite and wasn't as good against competition as he was in practice.

But if he and Mike White both develop, I would love to see one of them as the backup and the other traded for a draft pick. I doubt it happens, but this time of year you can always hope for stuff like that.

Irvin88_4life

Reaction score

There is no tackling allowed; therefore I didn't try to evaluate inside running.

RB
Tony Pollard

RB
Mike Weber
The term muscle-hamster comes to mind. Not that he is small (5-10, 208) but he has that compact muscular RB build. He has good balance and quickness. He looked really good as a receiver from what I saw; although, I saw a report that he had some drops.

RB-FB
Jamize Olawale
Odd build for a FB with long legs, short torso. He looks really good as a receiver. He showed decent speed on a go route down the sidelines.

TE
Dalton Schultz
He had some impressive blocks against DLinemen. Really strong with good blocking technique.

TE
Blake Jarwin

TE
Jason Witten
He looks leaner than in 2017. He seems to be running better than in 2017 also. He is still great at catching the ball and he can catch passes over DB even when they have good coverage. He made a great 1-handed catch down at the front corner of the goal-line.

WR
Gallup

WR
Cooper
It's just not fair to CBs trying to cover him 1-on-1. The change of direction quickness is just freakish.

WR
Devin Smith
Nothing yet. Just a couple of dump off type catches. Maybe they're going slow with him considering his injury history but a veteran even with limited playing time should be keeping up with rookie UDFAs in training camp and that's not happening at this point.

WR
Jon'Vea Johnson
He does have "easy speed" where running just looks easy. I like how he gets separation after the ball is in the air.

WR
Jalen Guyton

WR
Cedrick Wilson
I've only seen him on a couple of plays but both times he got "wide" open on 12 yard type routes.

WR
Reggie Davis
Fast but really thin. He was walking next to Tavon Austin and Austin looked like a bulked up body builder in comparison.

WR
Randall Cobb
He has shown up in many of the videos. He has appeared to be out of sync on a few plays; however, my feeling is that the Cowboys offensive might need to adapt to him more than him adapting to it.

WR
Darius Jackson
He looks good when they're not tackling but we already know he is very athletic. He does seem more comfortable executing the plays and as a receiver than I remember.

OL
Connor Williams

OL
Joe Looney

OL
Derrick Puni
I have not seen his blocking because he's been at LT and the cameras angles have not shown that side very well but I noticed him because he is big and was moving well in the open field.

QB
Cooper Rush
Maybe we've underestimated him. He has looked really good from everything I've seen.

QB
Mike White
I've seen him make some really nice passes but it appears he still has issues being reluctant to throw. He tends to move on in his progressions when he should have thrown to the 1st or 2nd read.

DB
Donovan Wilson

DB
Chris Westry
Looked reasonably coordinated and agile for a tall CB. In college game footage he looked awkward but what I saw in training camp was much better.

DB
Mike Jackson
Solid build. Moves well. Didn't look lost. I didn't see the ball go in his direction enough to see much of him.

DB
Donovan Olumba
Playing CB. Looks like a Strong Safety. Has looked good covering in the short area. I would like to see how he looks when challenged on downfield throws.

DB
Treston Decoud

DB
Anthony Brown

DB
Jourdan Lewis
All or Nothing results. He looked great in a few plays and got totally burned in others. He had good coverage on a deep route by Cooper but then got burned on consecutive plays by UDFA WRs.

DL
Jalen Jelks
He just appears to know how to play with leverage. He uses his length to his advantage. He looks bigger than his draft weight.

DL
Joe Jackson
Really flashed on the few snaps I saw. He showed really good power in a bull-rush and he moves around really well.

DL
Dorance Armstrong
Not flashy but looks like a solid player that really battles OLinemen. Reminds me of DLaw in some ways.

DL
Trysten Hill
I've only seen a couple of snaps. He is very quick but he has a tendency to get out of control and end up on the ground. It's a coach-able issue.

DL
Daniel Wise
He has flashed as a pass rushing DT but his build looks more like a DE. These camera angles in particular show a stark contract the size of his legs as compared to the massive legs of DTs like Maliek Collins.

DL
Taco Charlton
Better than last year.

LB
Luke Gifford
Impressive looking physically for a 4-3 type LB. Tall with a solid build and moves well. In college he played as a 3-4 LB and made plays with effort but just didn't have the build of a pass rusher.

LB
Kyle Queiro
I just keep noticing him. He moves well laterally. He was the only LB other than Vander Esch that appeared to come close to catching Tony Pollard on outside runs.

LB
Justin March-Lillard
All or Nothing results. I've seen him make several really good plays but then I've seen him get burned multiple times.

LB
Chris Covington
He is practicing now. He has good size and moved well getting out to the sideline to cover a RB.

OL
Mitch Hyatt
Big and moves well.

DB
George Iloka

DB
Darian Thompson

DL
Kerry Hyder

DL
Christian Covington
I can't disagree with anything you wrote. Everything you seen is what I have seen on tape.

Quiero was a safety in college and has some speed. I think he makes the team this year, he was a turnover machine and I hope we start seeing it.

I wanted to add Xavier Woods, he looks really good. Baited Dak and picked him off for pick 6.

Great write up by the way

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Were you there, or just saw video? Did you look at the all 22? What are your credentials for analyzing video?

I think the post is good and pretty spot on im just asking questions.

InTheZone

Reaction score
QB
Cooper Rush

QB
Mike White

[/QUOTE]
so we SHOULD have some serious comp at QB1 and QB2 this year. Bring it!

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

RB
Tony Pollard

RB
Mike Weber

RB-FB
Jamize Olawale

WR
Darius Jackson

I remember Jackson looking like a real RB last year. He's a pet cat of mine, but I just don't see him getting a chance at RB here.

Pollard and Olawale both give us deep mismatches. Too fast for the LBs likely to cover them if they split out.

That's why Dak's problem with deep balls is so crushing. We've got the speed to hurt defenses if they stack the box, but Dak has to hit them. In the recent video, he's playing against air, with Pollard 5 yards behind Jaylon, and Dak overthrows him by 5. Sad.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

RB
Tony Pollard

RB
Mike Weber

RB-FB
Jamize Olawale

TE
Dalton Schultz

TE
Blake Jarwin

TE
Jason Witten

WR
Gallup

WR
Cooper

WR
Devin Smith

WR
Jon'Vea Johnson

WR
Jalen Guyton

WR
Cedrick Wilson

WR
Reggie Davis

WR
Randall Cobb

WR
Darius Jackson

OL
Connor Williams

OL
Joe Looney

OL
Derrick Puni

QB
Cooper Rush

QB
Mike White

DB
Donovan Wilson

DB
Chris Westry

DB
Mike Jackson

DB
Donovan Olumba

DB
Treston Decoud

DB
Anthony Brown

DB
Jourdan Lewis

DL
Jalen Jelks

DL
Joe Jackson

DL
Dorance Armstrong

DL
Trysten Hill

DL
Daniel Wise

DL
Taco Charlton
Better than last year.

LB
Luke Gifford

LB
Kyle Queiro

LB
Justin March-Lillard

LB
Chris Covington

OL
Mitch Hyatt
Big and moves well.

DB
George Iloka

DB
Darian Thompson

DL
Kerry Hyder

DL
Christian Covington

How is Tyron looking?

He's the guy where the eyeball test really tells you something. In 2017, he looked like a man protecting a bad back. I know, because I've been there. In 2018, he looked much more fluid. How about this year? I've heard good things from Smith himself this year. But how does he look?

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
QB
Cooper Rush

QB
Mike White

Rush looked really good his rookie preseason too. Maybe he's back in form.

Maybe White is one of those guys with the arm but not the processing speed. At least yet.

Sounds like we'll be going with both of them this year. Rush looks ok as a backup, and White isn't going to make him expendable. We like our guys.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
OL Hyatt, DL Wise, and LB Gifford have a good chance to make the 53 in my opinion. Keep an eye on them in camp and in the early games.