Recommended Training Camp Review 8/3

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I like xwalker's updates. He's a regular around here and any news about what's going on, particularly since I'm not there, is informative.
However, I don't think your question is unreasonable.
People that ask that type of question don't really want to know the answer.

I've seen some people post about their background over the years and the responses from people that don't agree with their opinions are one of two:

Credentials: Somewhere between just being a fan and actually being Bill Belichick.
Responses: The credentials are meaningless.

Credentials: The credentials are really significant and well above just an average fan/blogger.
Responses: You're lying. Those credential are fake.

pancakeman

Reaction score
I'm skeptical on White. I don't know if he is the Alpha type that is required to play QB in the NFL.

Romo took his OK physical ability and turned it into a great career because he had the ultimate Alpha personality. Romo was like an average Joe looking guy that can walk up and get the girl even in a crowd of famous handsome dudes.
Yup, charisma does matter at QB. Romo had it, and Dak does too.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
People that ask that type of question don't really want to know the answer.

I've seen some people post about their background over the years and the responses from people that don't agree with their opinions are one of two:

Credentials: Somewhere between just being a fan and actually being Bill Belichick.
Responses: The credentials are meaningless.

Credentials: The credentials are really significant and well above just an average fan/blogger.
Responses: You're lying. Those credential are fake.
Thats not true. Im just curious. I already stated i agreed with your assessments

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thats not true. Im just curious. I already stated i agreed with your assessments
If you don't others will do what I posted.

Example
There where a couple of guys years ago that posted that they were paid by NFL teams to do some part-time scouting.

They got ripped to shreds and anything they posted devolved into people bringing up what they had posted about their backgrounds.

They got constant responses to their opinions that they were lying about their backgrounds/experience.

Bryan Broaddus posted here years ago. He got ripped repeatedly and quit posting.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score

Example
There where a couple of guys years ago that posted that they were paid by NFL teams to do some part-time scouting.

They got ripped to shreds and anything they posted devolved into people bringing up what they had posted about their backgrounds.

They got constant responses to their opinions that they were lying about their backgrounds/experience.

Bryan Broaddus posted here years ago. He got ripped repeatedly and quit posting.
Well thats cuz broaddus was a pro scout for us when our free agent aquisitions were absolute trash. I bet if gil brandt posted his opinions they would be received differently

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Post your own analysis if you disagree. Otherwise, why harass someone trying to contribute something to the board?

Unfortunately this happens a lot with many posters that can't or refuse to find anything good to say.
I call it ...drive by posting...you know, take shots (negativity) of things one can't offer a decent rather good or bad opinion.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Example

Bob Sturm posted here to didn't he. And he stopped. Wonder why? Well, we know why.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
"I, (your name here), do hereby certify that my participation on cowboyszone (copyrighted, patent pending, power of attorney, etc.)
is derived from my basic skills of reading comprehension and writing, non-professional analysis and clear understanding of the
basics of sport topic (football)."

Geesh, people.

Nice job. @xwalker .

There are the holiday Inn Express crowd, and the crowd that stay elsewhere. The crowd that stays elsewhere really do know more than the Holiday Inn Express crowd (internet GM types).

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I follow bob sturm on twitter and i could see why he would catch flak. Hes a condescending JO at times

I don't do twitter, but I will take your word for it.
Many times on the ticket he came across the same way at times. I stopped listening to the ticket as much years ago. Norm is not the same. I will start listening to the users again some since TC started. But even they grew old of listening too.

The thing what I liked about Sturm on here was his analysis. he is a GB Packer fan, so not sure if that taints his opinion somewhat.

Fla Cowpoke

Reaction score
Love what xwalker brings to the table. Whether he is an armchair QB or has a pro background....it's hard to argue with the quality of what he brings to the board. You might not agree with him, but you can't argue with the effort he puts in.

The list of quality posters run off by idiocy is much too long!

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well thats cuz broaddus was a pro scout for us when our free agent aquisitions were absolute trash. I bet if gil brandt posted his opinions they would be received differently
I'm not a big fan of Broaddus but people could have disagreed without being ***-hats.

Hennessy_King

Reaction score
Love what xwalker brings to the table. Whether he is an armchair QB or has a pro background....it's hard to argue with the quality of what he brings to the board. You might not agree with him, but you can't argue with the effort he puts in.

The list of quality posters run off by idiocy is much too long!
I wasnt here for all that fun

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
LVE covered Olawale running a go route down the sideline. I think Olawale would win against many mortal LBs but LVE is a freak of freak athletes.

Pollard had the play that was on the twitter video where he destroyed Jaylon.

I would like to see Pollard on that route against LVE.

Dak is hitting way more of the deep throws than he is missing based on all the ones that I've seen. In the NFL 50% on deep pass attempts would be terrific. The NFL average is around 37%.

I would like to have seen DJax get more than the 6 carries he had last season just for evaluation purposes. I think all 6 were in the "meaningless" game 16 where it wouldn't have mattered how many opportunities he received.

LVE is listed at 4.65 for the combine. Not that fast for a LB, though fast for a guy his size at LB. I wouldn't think he'd have any chance against Pollard.

Jaylon said he was 4.5? I think in 2017, while he was timed in the 20 yard shuttle better than the fasted time in 2018.

Somebody posted a thread on Dak's nextgenstats passing spread. He's actually ranked better on deep balls than most QBs, but when I look at his attempts, they look like lots of misses to me, particularly on the right side. Restricting consideration to balls right along the sideline 15+, he was something like 0 for 16.

The site is kind of goofed up in that it doesn't show all games, and I couldn't select all QBs to view their spread - so many QBs linked to Case Keenum's details.

Maybe my expectations are too much and other QBs aren't any better. But I expect QBs to hit WRs when they're throwing against air, or at least be close. The 5 yard miss on Pollard seems bad. He's not just overthrowing a guy, he's overthrowing a fast guy by a lot.

How fast would Pollard have to be to catch that pass?

It would probably help to get a better sense of how bad a miss an overthrow is. How fast would the WR have to run *after the ball has left Dak's hand* for the WR to catch it? How many yards did the WR run with the ball in the air?

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
LVE is listed at 4.65 for the combine. Not that fast for a LB, though fast for a guy his size at LB. I wouldn't think he'd have any chance against Pollard.

Jaylon said he was 4.5? I think in 2017, while he was timed in the 20 yard shuttle better than the fasted time in 2018.

Somebody posted a thread on Dak's nextgenstats passing spread. He's actually ranked better on deep balls than most QBs, but when I look at his attempts, they look like lots of misses to me, particularly on the right side. Restricting consideration to balls right along the sideline 15+, he was something like 0 for 16.

The site is kind of goofed up in that it doesn't show all games, and I couldn't select all QBs to view their spread - so many QBs linked to Case Keenum's details.

Maybe my expectations are too much and other QBs aren't any better. But I expect QBs to hit WRs when they're throwing against air, or at least be close. The 5 yard miss on Pollard seems bad. He's not just overthrowing a guy, he's overthrowing a fast guy by a lot.

How fast would Pollard have to be to catch that pass?

It would probably help to get a better sense of how bad a miss an overthrow is. How fast would the WR have to run *after the ball has left Dak's hand* for the WR to catch it? How many yards did the WR run with the ball in the air?
Ironically I also ran a 4.65 ... at well a lot smaller size than LVE.
40 time is nearly meaningless at LB tbh. So many massive busts were fast and drafted for that speed.
It is about being able to read plays and then having short area quickness side to side.
My ankles and hips have always been too tight:( LVE has no such issues.
And that length means he doesn't have to run stride for stride just get within arm's length.

FWIW Sean Lee was a 4.71 40 guy and essentially never gets beat to the edges.
He has elite play reading skills and beats the ball carrier to his own read. At least he does/did when healthy....