Travel Thread

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
So this may be long because this is my favorite subject in the world. I'm addicted to traveling and in my almost 50 years it has all occurred in the last 15. It is a passion that has no rival right now. I love talking about it, discussing destinations and just really love exploring cultures.

A little background. As a kid we did a lot of south Texas station wagon trips...Port A. I'm the youngest of 5 so this was great. But up until 35 I had only flown 5 times and San Diego was about as far as I had gone. I also was a very nervous flyer because one of my 5 flights had an aborted landing. My wife would say terrified back then. I met my wife in Houston in 2005 where she was in management at Continental Airlines. She told me, "you date me, we travel. You can't be scared." Back then airlines weren't exactly cost conscious and flights went out half empty. We could fly standby anywhere in the world and if it was outside the continental US and open we could get First/Business. So first trip we did was Maui in First. After a few trips the fear left and I was ready to go. Engaged in Paris, honeymoon in Italy, etc. She got another promotion and we moved to Chicago when the Continental/United merged. Her brother was/is an executive in the industry too so their family travels extensively...as a group and separately. She no longer is with an airline but we still get passes, etc. So very lucky and blessed from that standpoint. Saves a lot too. Married lucky.

With all that said I've been able to travel many places and like to know people's best experience/places. It really gets me excited to try new things and I love hearing other people's stories. Last week I was in London for the first time and despite some international big cities visited..Rome and Madrid included...I prefer small villages and towns with historical sites. Enjoy islands too. We started my kids as babies and they pretty much are better on planes than some drunk adults..lol. But I'd rather give them experiences than computer games and they have impressed me with some historical things.

My favorite experiences so far...Italy as a whole could be one big favorite. Have seen many regions...Rome, Umbria, Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Lake Como, Venice, Amalfi Coast and Capri.. and none are bad.

Italy: Tuscany: Was part of my honeymoon for 6 days and went back two years ago with the kids. Both times we had villas that weren't that expensive...VRBO last time. Beautiful small towns and villages, great wine that isn't expensive and just beauty everywhere. I love the region of San Gimignano and Volterra. Siena too. Driving the countryside is incredible and they live life right.

France: Chamonix: Part of a family Summer trip last year. May be one of the most beautiful places in the world. It's a ski resort and people have said Beaver Creek copied it. Mountain views are almost fake. It is what a fairy tale would look like.

Turks & Caicos: Beaches Resort: This place is all inclusive but we loved it as a family. Great restaurants, the prettiest beaches I've ever seen and just a great place to stay and relax. When people talk Caribbean this is the first place I mention.

Germany: Rhine and Mosel River Valleys: Stayed in Boppard and took day trips from there. Germany is so clean and easy to get around. Was impressed with the beautiful towns and castles around both river regions and of course the beer was excellent. Same with the white wine...did you know that we mostly are exposed to Riesling here that is very sweet. There they have dry, semi dry and sweet Riesling...with the drier ones close to what we have as light whites here.

Italy: Lake Como: Not one bad view. Stunning. Went here for 10 year anniversary and stayed in Bellagio bit my favorite town was probably Varenna. Easy to get around on ferry.

In the US:

Maui: Out of all of the islands, this is my favorite and I can't get enough of island time. I remember when my wife..girlfriend at the time..asked me to go I thought Hawaii might be overrated or commercialized but I was wrong. I takes me a day and I am relaxed. Love the town of Paia here that starts the Road to Hana. Kauai would be my second favorite island

Maine: A trip from a few years back with the kids. Flew into Boston and drove up. We stayed in Old Orchard Beach which is a little touristy but it was a good base for Portland..where we took a ferry out to the islands, seeing lighthouses and going to Kennebunkport and Oguinquit (Marginal Way is great). We drove back through Salem for a night and then Boston. Fun trip if you have kids

Oceanside, CA: My sisters hubby is from CA and his family has a place out here. I feel like this is the perfect California area. If you have kids you can do the SD Zoo, Legoland and beaches easily from here. If you don't, you can go to La Jolla, Laguna Beach, etc.

Disney World: Had to include this after years of not being a fan. Went when my girls were little and wasn't a fan. Finally 2 Spring Breaks back we spread out a trip over 8 days. Did one park some days, had restaurant reservations way ahead of time, had our fast passes, took days off to swim and relax...and with my kids at a good age where they love roller coasters...and it was truly magical. I doubt we could replicate it again but the 3 kids loved it and at least once I'd recommend doing it without rushing through it.

Go, get detailed, what is your favorite place to go anywhere and why.

Last edited:

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have been all across the USA, most of Mexico and the majority of the Caribbean islands along with Hawaii. The one state that eludes me is Alaska :thumbdown:

I can type for hours on my travels of the above, so will stick with across the pond. We did a month vacation going from Italy to London to Greece and France about 10 years ago. I too like the smaller villages and countryside but Rome is definitely worth a stop.

For our next vacation, we really want to hit Eastern Europe like Romania, Germany, Prague, Austria, etc but we are concerned about safety at this time. It will happen, just don’t know when.

In March, we are going to the Maldives so I can scuba there while the wife sits on the beach :grin:

There are two bucket list destinations left for me: the Galapagos Islands and an African safari.

I have been to Asia once, not really impressed due to being pretty dirty and overcrowded. I may or may not want to see Australia, not a biggie if I never go there.

Oh, I do want to go to Antartica and find me a leopard seal :flagwave:

cowboyec

Reaction score
Graceland....'Merica's Rock-n-Roll White House.
as a die-hard Elvis fan...there is a special vibe to that place.
I love walking up to Meditation Garden in the morning...up to his grave...walkin' thru the gates...so many times over his years he'd hang out with the fans...walkin' up that driveway...seein' the lights on....wonderin' how cool it woulda been to be one of the lucky ones to hang out with him...you get there an hour before the tours start so sometimes you're the only one there....very special.
My favorite place in the house is the Jungle Room....his den decorated in the 70s with a hawaiian feel...and shag carpet on the ceiling he had put in...for what would be his last recording session in '76...where he recorded Hurt,For The Heart,I'll Never Fall In Love Again,Moody Blue and Way Down.
I love to wear my headphones and listen to a song or 2 while standing there....just drinkin' it in.
If your a fan you get it.....if not....well....too bad.

Miller

Reaction score
I have been all across the USA, most of Mexico and the majority of the Caribbean islands along with Hawaii. The one state that eludes me is Alaska :thumbdown:

I can type for hours on my travels of the above, so will stick with across the pond. We did a month vacation going from Italy to London to Greece and France about 10 years ago. I too like the smaller villages and countryside but Rome is definitely worth a stop.

For our next vacation, we really want to hit Eastern Europe like Romania, Germany, Prague, Austria, etc but we are concerned about safety at this time. It will happen, just don’t know when.

In March, we are going to the Maldives so I can scuba there while the wife sits on the beach :grin:

There are two bucket list destinations left for me: the Galapagos Islands and an African safari.

I have been to Asia once, not really impressed due to being pretty dirty and overcrowded. I may or may not want to see Australia, not a biggie if I never go there.

Oh, I do want to go to Antartica and find me a leopard seal :flagwave:

I'd like an update on Maldives when you get back. Heard it's great! I don't think you will have trouble in Germany through Austria...Romania I'm not sure.

My MIL has done an African Safari and loved it and she also did Mongolia recently and said it was worth it on both to be out where there is nothing but nature

I like how you did a month awhile back and want to do another extended one. 2 Summers ago it was 16 days in Italy starting in Rome and last Summer it was 16 days starting and ending in Italy but 90% in southern France..Chamonix, Provence and Riviera. I think it allows for not rushing around through sites.

Love to hear about other loves too. I could spend my days skipping work to do searches on places to go.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'd like an update on Maldives when you get back. Heard it's great! I don't think you will have trouble in Germany through Austria...Romania I'm not sure.

My MIL has done an African Safari and loved it and she also did Mongolia recently and said it was worth it on both to be out where there is nothing but nature

I like how you did a month awhile back and want to do another extended one. 2 Summers ago it was 16 days in Italy starting in Rome and last Summer it was 16 days starting and ending in Italy but 90% in southern France..Chamonix, Provence and Riviera. I think it allows for not rushing around through sites.

Love to hear about other loves too. I could spend my days skipping work to do searches on places to go.

Will do. The one place I missed in France is that restaurant in an underground cave. Might have to go back just for that :laugh:

Miller

Reaction score
Went to Prague last summer for a few days. Crowded but very nice. Cheap food and beer if you stay away from the tourist hot spots.

it’s definitely on my list. I don’t think my wife has been either which is fun when it’s a new experience. Looks beautiful and a lot of history. I know it’s becoming more popular. Thanks for the heads up.

Montanalo

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Alright! Rolling up my sleeves - Next to the grandkids, wine and my wife, travel is an absolute favorite topic.

During my working life, I had the great fortune and opportunity to live and travel outside the US for about 30 years. We lived in the UK, Norway, Nigeria, Australia, Kazakhstan, Canada and the UAE... And, travelled extensively in and around each of these and other areas.

At the top of my list of travel destinations are Antarctica and East Africa. I have difficulty choosing one over the other. Each are unique ecosystems, each breathtakingly beautiful and each spellbinding. If forced to make a choice, I would probably go with Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania and, that's only because of the combination of flora, fauna and native culture

In terms of natural beauty, the Kimberly region in the Northern Territories of Australia is second to none. The burnt orange and brick red colors, canyons, Aboriginal culture and wetlands areas are supremely unique. Australia, in general, is a "must do" destination.

Probably (maybe?) next on our list would be Egypt, the Holy Land and India. While there is certainly natural beauty in each, it is the history and transcendent culture that attracted me. The cruise up the Nile was particularly enjoyable. Can't say I "enjoyed" Cairo or Delhi so much - far too many people, but my wife contributed greatly to the local economy at the shopper's bazaars.

Within Europe, my favorite destinations are London (deserves a whole post on it's own), Scotland (love the people, countryside and single malt), Prague (favorite city in Europe), Budapest and Zurich.

You mentioned Romania in your post. We traveled there last August and, while we enjoyed it, we much prefer The Czech Republic, Slovakia or Poland for a taste of Eastern Europe.

For something off the beaten path visit Georgia and Armenia. Anything destination that can combine culture, history, wine and food gets two thumbs up from me.

Whew! Sorry for rambling on so much - and I haven't even reached my favorite dive destinations.

daschoo

Slanje Va
Reaction score
Love travelling.
Got to agree with Italy from the original post, outside of the obvious Rome I'd agree about Tuscany. Bologna was also a great city.
Being Scottish Europe is easy to get to so done every country bar Luxembourg west of the old Iron Curtain. One I've not seen mentioned that I'd recommend is Croatia. We got engaged in Dubrovnik and loved it so much we went back for the wedding, the Dalmatian coast is stunning.
My in laws stay in the States so been over a few times, would love to see the Rockies and for some reason really want to go to Portland.
Had 5 weeks in India backpacking years ago which was unreal but the most stressful holiday I've ever had.
Was lucky enough to do a bit of a tour retracing where my father in law grew up in Zimbabwe and Zambia and finish with a week safari in Botswana which was pretty mindblowing.
Would love to get to Japan at some point but think I'll be settling for the Croatia again this year

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
Has anyone been to Spain? My Step-Daughter will be spending a semester in Madrid for college and the wife and I are thinking about visiting her. Our 10th anniversary is this year and we're considering going to Europe and making that one of our stops. I had an opportunity to go to Spain a few years ago for work but passed on it because I wasn't going to get any free time.

Crazed Liotta Eyes

Reaction score
So this may be long because this is my favorite subject in the world. I'm addicted to traveling and in my almost 50 years it has all occurred in the last 15. It is a passion that has no rival right now. I love talking about it, discussing destinations and just really love exploring cultures.

A little background. As a kid we did a lot of south Texas station wagon trips...Port A. I'm the youngest of 5 so this was great. But up until 35 I had only flown 5 times and San Diego was about as far as I had gone. I also was a very nervous flyer because one of my 5 flights had an aborted landing. My wife would say terrified back then. I met my wife in Houston in 2005 where she was in management at Continental Airlines. She told me, "you date me, we travel. You can't be scared." Back then airlines weren't exactly cost conscious and flights went out half empty. We could fly standby anywhere in the world and if it was outside the continental US and open we could get First/Business. So first trip we did was Maui in First. After a few trips the fear left and I was ready to go. Engaged in Paris, honeymoon in Italy, etc. She got another promotion and we moved to Chicago when the Continental/United merged. Her brother was/is an executive in the industry too so their family travels extensively...as a group and separately. She no longer is with an airline but we still get passes, etc. So very lucky and blessed from that standpoint. Saves a lot too. Married lucky.

With all that said I've been able to travel many places and like to know people's best experience/places. It really gets me excited to try new things and I love hearing other people's stories. Last week I was in London for the first time and despite some international big cities visited..Rome and Madrid included...I prefer small villages and towns with historical sites. Enjoy islands too. We started my kids as babies and they pretty much are better on planes than some drunk adults..lol. But I'd rather give them experiences than computer games and they have impressed me with some historical things.

My favorite experiences so far...Italy as a whole could be one big favorite. Have seen many regions...Rome, Umbria, Tuscany, Cinque Terre, Lake Como, Venice, Amalfi Coast and Capri.. and none are bad.

Italy: Tuscany: Was part of my honeymoon for 6 days and went back two years ago with the kids. Both times we had villas that weren't that expensive...VRBO last time. Beautiful small towns and villages, great wine that isn't expensive and just beauty everywhere. I love the region of San Gimignano and Volterra. Siena too. Driving the countryside is incredible and they live life right.

France: Chamonix: Part of a family Summer trip last year. May be one of the most beautiful places in the world. It's a ski resort and people have said Beaver Creek copied it. Mountain views are almost fake. It is what a fairy tale would look like.

Turks & Caicos: Beaches Resort: This place is all inclusive but we loved it as a family. Great restaurants, the prettiest beaches I've ever seen and just a great place to stay and relax. When people talk Caribbean this is the first place I mention.

Germany: Rhine and Mosel River Valleys: Stayed in Boppard and took day trips from there. Germany is so clean and easy to get around. Was impressed with the beautiful towns and castles around both river regions and of course the beer was excellent. Same with the white wine...did you know that we mostly are exposed to Riesling here that is very sweet. There they have dry, semi dry and sweet Riesling...with the drier ones close to what we have as light whites here.

Italy: Lake Como: Not one bad view. Stunning. Went here for 10 year anniversary and stayed in Bellagio bit my favorite town was probably Varenna. Easy to get around on ferry.

In the US:

Maui: Out of all of the islands, this is my favorite and I can't get enough of island time. I remember when my wife..girlfriend at the time..asked me to go I thought Hawaii might be overrated or commercialized but I was wrong. I takes me a day and I am relaxed. Love the town of Paia here that starts the Road to Hana. Kauai would be my second favorite island

Maine: A trip from a few years back with the kids. Flew into Boston and drove up. We stayed in Old Orchard Beach which is a little touristy but it was a good base for Portland..where we took a ferry out to the islands, seeing lighthouses and going to Kennebunkport and Oguinquit (Marginal Way is great). We drove back through Salem for a night and then Boston. Fun trip if you have kids

Oceanside, CA: My sisters hubby is from CA and his family has a place out here. I feel like this is the perfect California area. If you have kids you can do the SD Zoo, Legoland and beaches easily from here. If you don't, you can go to La Jolla, Laguna Beach, etc.

Disney World: Had to include this after years of not being a fan. Went when my girls were little and wasn't a fan. Finally 2 Spring Breaks back we spread out a trip over 8 days. Did one park some days, had restaurant reservations way ahead of time, had our fast passes, took days off to swim and relax...and with my kids at a good age where they love roller coasters...and it was truly magical. I doubt we could replicate it again but the 3 kids loved it and at least once I'd recommend doing it without rushing through it.

Go, get detailed, what is your favorite place to go anywhere and why.

I'm an island guy too, especially because I live in the freezing mountains. We've gone to Hawaii twice and absolutely loved it. Maui was awesome and we stayed at a ridiculously nice hotel that cost me more than I'd like to admit. Paia was great and we were going to do the road to Hana but were a little too hungover to make it. If I remember right, you had to be up at like 2 AM. After Maui, we went to Kauai and it was amazing too with all the warm rain. The 2nd time we went, we did the Norwegian cruise that hops around to the various islands. That was fun in a different way and was actually cheaper than flying there and staying in hotels.

One place I've been that I would recommend is the US Virgin Islands. I told the story on here about stepping on fire coral, but it was great other than that. Amazing white sand beaches and clear blue water. We came very close to moving there after that trip. It's been a while so I don't know how commercialized it's become.

Miller

Reaction score
Has anyone been to Spain? My Step-Daughter will be spending a semester in Madrid for college and the wife and I are thinking about visiting her. Our 10th anniversary is this year and we're considering going to Europe and making that one of our stops. I had an opportunity to go to Spain a few years ago for work but passed on it because I wasn't going to get any free time.

Yes my wife and I did a trip there too and loved it. What we love about that region is there are a lot of great towns around Madrid! Segovia is our favorite. Beautiful town with an incredible Roman aquaduct in the middle of it. The cool part is the castle and the tours around it. Just a cool town in the country. Avila is another town with its fortress walls. El Escorial is where the royals are buried and another great historical place. We actually stayed in Segovia and took side trips and then spent two nights in Madrid

I really wish it was easier to post pics here or I would

Miller

Reaction score
I'm an island guy too, especially because I live in the freezing mountains. We've gone to Hawaii twice and absolutely loved it. Maui was awesome and we stayed at a ridiculously nice hotel that cost me more than I'd like to admit. Paia was great and we were going to do the road to Hana but were a little too hungover to make it. If I remember right, you had to be up at like 2 AM. After Maui, we went to Kauai and it was amazing too with all the warm rain. The 2nd time we went, we did the Norwegian cruise that hops around to the various islands. That was fun in a different way and was actually cheaper than flying there and staying in hotels.

One place I've been that I would recommend is the US Virgin Islands. I told the story on here about stepping on fire coral, but it was great other than that. Amazing white sand beaches and clear blue water. We came very close to moving there after that trip. It's been a while so I don't know how commercialized it's become.

Never been to the US Virgin Islands but want to badly. Heard St John’s great! The closest I’ve been that area is north at Turks and Caicos and the Bahamas(Atlantis)..where we just spent New Years. As I said in the original post I enjoy Turks a lot. Bahamas is great..especially the water park at Atlantis...but overall service is horrible. This was our fourth time and gets worse every time. But I just chalk it up to what it is and still enjoy

Do you remember the Maui hotel. Last time there we stayed at the Grand Wailea and it was excellent

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Never been to the US Virgin Islands but want to badly. Heard St John’s great! The closest I’ve been that area is north at Turks and Caicos and the Bahamas(Atlantis)..where we just spent New Years. As I said in the original post I enjoy Turks a lot. Bahamas is great..especially the water park at Atlantis...but overall service is horrible. This was our fourth time and gets worse every time. But I just chalk it up to what it is and still enjoy

Do you remember the Maui hotel. Last time there we stayed at the Grand Wailea and it was excellent

If you ever go to the Virgin Islands, go to BVI instead of the US :thumbup:

Miller

Reaction score
If you ever go to the Virgin Islands, go to BVI instead of the US :thumbup:

Thanks. Where do you like there? From feedback I heard from another in law they like St Barths in the West Indies too.

(Side note..I bring in laws a lot..and it is because my wife is one of 6 kids..both big families..so I hear a lot)

Miller

Reaction score
I did a bit of traveling this past month. Alaska for Thanksgiving and a few places in Europe for Christmas - Paris, Genoa (Italy) and Romania. I wanna go to Maine.

Did you enjoy Genoa? Our last Summer trip was mostly in southern France but as we looped back into Italy we almost stayed there. I think this next Summer we may go to Sicily. Also was your Alaskan trip a cruise or did you just stay and go.

Tabascocat

Dexternjack
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Thanks. Where do you like there? From feedback I heard from another in law they like St Barths in the West Indies too.

(Side note..I bring in laws a lot..and it is because my wife is one of 6 kids..both big families..so I hear a lot)

I like Virgin Gorda the best, less people and pristine beaches and easy access to other small islands. I dive a lot and it isn’t a cattle call there, the reefs are pretty much desolate.

Never been to St Barths but hoping to someday.

Miller

Reaction score
Alright! Rolling up my sleeves - Next to the grandkids, wine and my wife, travel is an absolute favorite topic.

During my working life, I had the great fortune and opportunity to live and travel outside the US for about 30 years. We lived in the UK, Norway, Nigeria, Australia, Kazakhstan, Canada and the UAE... And, travelled extensively in and around each of these and other areas.

At the top of my list of travel destinations are Antarctica and East Africa. I have difficulty choosing one over the other. Each are unique ecosystems, each breathtakingly beautiful and each spellbinding. If forced to make a choice, I would probably go with Ngorongoro Crater in Tanzania and, that's only because of the combination of flora, fauna and native culture

In terms of natural beauty, the Kimberly region in the Northern Territories of Australia is second to none. The burnt orange and brick red colors, canyons, Aboriginal culture and wetlands areas are supremely unique. Australia, in general, is a "must do" destination.

Probably (maybe?) next on our list would be Egypt, the Holy Land and India. While there is certainly natural beauty in each, it is the history and transcendent culture that attracted me. The cruise up the Nile was particularly enjoyable. Can't say I "enjoyed" Cairo or Delhi so much - far too many people, but my wife contributed greatly to the local economy at the shopper's bazaars.

Within Europe, my favorite destinations are London (deserves a whole post on it's own), Scotland (love the people, countryside and single malt), Prague (favorite city in Europe), Budapest and Zurich.

You mentioned Romania in your post. We traveled there last August and, while we enjoyed it, we much prefer The Czech Republic, Slovakia or Poland for a taste of Eastern Europe.

For something off the beaten path visit Georgia and Armenia. Anything destination that can combine culture, history, wine and food gets two thumbs up from me.

Whew! Sorry for rambling on so much - and I haven't even reached my favorite dive destinations.

Sorry, just getting to this..a lot of great stuff to digest.

I find your favorites fascinating and the fact that you lived in so many areas and traveled from there just awesome. What was your favorite place to live?

So it sounds like Antartica and East Africa would be beautiful and challenging. How did you figure where to stay, etc?

Last weekend was my first trip to London. My MIL was with us. We tried to get in as much as possible in 3 days and managed Windsor, Tower of London and a Comedy Ghost Tour...but in general it was mostly walking. and exploring Covent Gardens, Trafalgar Square and Hamleys Toy Store..lol. I'd like to hear more on what you love there. I feel the same about regions of Italy..could talk all day. On a side note my MIL does a lot more adventurous things and on this trip she did talk about loving Egypt..in fact we were laughing at a video of her trying to ride a camel. They also did some of the Holy Land.

Scotland and Prague I need to get to.

Bolded is the way I feel also.

Last edited: