Travis Kelce details his Draft Combine interview with the Cowboys

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I mean smart. Stay away from guys dumb enough to tell you don't draft them. Worked out for Kelce here though but for every Kelce there's 100 other stupid ones lol.

Motorola

Reaction score
This is tough because we already had Jason Witten. The Cowboys were just drafting on a singular player, but building a TE unit.

Clearly we missed on him, but they were probably thinking about "fit". Would Witten have pissed off Kelce with his snap hogging ways?

We can hand wring all we want, but our HOF TE was not one to share the TE room easily.

Also Reid liked the Kelce family, and he knew the brother and the parents. We didn't have that type of emotional intel.
This was during the height of the “right kind of guy” era, and the “process” necessary to make that happen.

What a load of crap, and Jerry bought it hard…..and took us along for the ride.
He would’ve just set behind Witten and never been heard of.
And at the time team was meh...back-to-back 8-8 seasons (2011 and 2012)...then chalked up a third one.

kskboys

Reaction score
I'd say probably but at the same time....we have never had anyone the caliber of Kelce behind him to prove that.
Yeah, we were actually trying hard to find a Witten replacement at that time, but Witten outplayed every one of the JAGs we brought in/overdrafted.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Yeah, we were actually trying hard to find a Witten replacement at that time, but Witten outplayed every one of the JAGs we brought in/overdrafted.
I don't even think they were looking to replace him. He was going to be a lifer here. Makes it even dumber now especially knowing we did it with Bennett, Fasano and Escobar.

Motorola

Reaction score
Thats not accurate unfortunately.
Travis went top pick of Round 3 about 20 spots AFTER we took Escobar.

But in Dallas Escobar was battling not a TE as Witt was sacrosanct but Cole Beasley for snaps.
Dak loved Cole's route-running and wanted him on the field so Escobar seldom played. .
Escobar wasn't on the offense during Prescott's rookie season because he was an inferior blocker to TE teammate Geoff Swaim. who became the backup to Witten. Though playing in 9 games and starting in 6 of them, Swaim only was targeted 8 times, with 6 catches for 69 yards. So TE2 was barely a factor in the Cowboys passing game anyway.
Beasley was basically WR1b to Bryant's WR1a; he was targeted just as much Bryant and Witten, and had more receptions and yardage that both.

DanTanna

Original Zone Member
Reaction score
I would have LOVED to seen what Witten's 40 time was his last 6 years here. I'm betting on 5.2 or so. Seriously.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Thats not accurate unfortunately.
Travis went top pick of Round 3 about 20 spots AFTER we took Escobar.

But in Dallas Escobar was battling not a TE as Witt was sacrosanct but Cole Beasley for snaps.
Dak loved Cole's route-running and wanted him on the field so Escobar seldom played. .
Well as they say **** happens and like you said we already had Witten , it's odd I don't remember any of this stuff but it's all water under the bridge it happened it happens with a lot of teams they pass up on a good player and somehow the Cowboys are the only ones who are Dinged for it ,

well how did Travis Kelsey and all his glory make it to the third round that deep somebody saw something that they didn't like about him and let him slip just like TJ Watt made it past us and then he gets drafted but how about all the teams above us that also didn't pick TJ what this happens yes there are mistakes you go back in hindsight there are mistakes... But you can't blame the front office because this happens with other teams all the time other teams passed up on Travis Kelsey as well people are kicking themselves in the *** for taking quarterbacks above Patrick mahomes or letting Brock Purdy slide to the last player taken in the draft or let Kurt Warner and Tony Romo be undrafted there are other a lot of great undrafted players or players that went past the fifth round that turned out to be great so somebody's draft chart and all the mock drafts all had it wrong so you can't blame our front office is my point...

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Kelce was the first pick in the third round and the Cowboys ended up taking Gavin Escobar in the second round. A big swing and a miss! There can’t be a team in the entire league that’s missed on as many TE’s in the second round as the Cowboys. Luke Schoonmaker is coming off the worst rookie year of the bunch.

CowboysLakerBamaFan

Reaction score
See if he would've said "I'm still that person and I will screw up constantly. I'm immature." he would've been drafted in the 2md round by us.
If he would have weighed 390 pounds and been a big fat lazy blob that makes zero impactful plays, he woulda been drafted in the 1st round by us.

blueblood70

Reaction score
Kelce was the first pick in the third round and the Cowboys ended up taking Gavin Escobar in the second round. A big swing and a miss! There can’t be a team in the entire league that’s missed on as many TE’s in the second round as the Cowboys. Luke Schoonmaker is coming off the worst rookie year of the bunch.
I guess you're just glossing over the fact that he made it to the third round and nobody picked them that means 32 teams went through two complete rounds and passed over Kelsey for whatever reason somebody had something on the guy to make him slip to the third round... So he was passed on 64 times so but this is a Jones and a Cowboys problem because you're trying to make it that but go ahead keep on but we keep leaving out that Kelsey somehow is still available in the third round the Cowboys still had Jason Witten and wasn't prioritizing tight end at the time and it way took Gavin Escobar for whatever reason they did and it was a fail so lots of teams fail in the draft that one position or another they're really bad at it I mean the Eagles and giants seem to went three straight years trying to find a wide receiver in the draft and kept missing picked other strange picks and left guys like CD lamb for us

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I guess we now know why Kelce isn't a Cowboy.

Would have been a Dallas Cowboy under the Jimmy Johnson regime. As Jimmy said about Haley, who I know had more issues than Kelse... "Is he smart? I can reason with him."

Kelse answered the question correctly for a football interview. Remember Jerry Dumbo GM Jones passed on Randy Moss who did not have a incident at Marshall for 2 1/2 years.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
I would have LOVED to seen what Witten's 40 time was his last 6 years here. I'm betting on 5.2 or so. Seriously.
He was slow, but he could still get open. No matter how much he slowed down he always had a knack for finding seams and soft spots in the defense to move the chains. Don’t think I ever saw his feet leave the ground to make a catch. Can’t remember ever seeing him jump for a ball.