Twitter: Trevon Diggs earns a raise for 2023

fivetwos

Reaction score
He's probably getting a monster extension after the 2022 season. I highly doubt Jerry doesn't do it, and waits for his contract to expire.
Another problem....when you sign a player early, the team should get some sort of discount.

That doesn't seem to happen.

I'm still trying to recall who on the 2018 team was making so much money that we had to push money into the future while Dak was still on his rookie deal.

We are paying the price now for those DLaw and Elliott low cap figure back then.

John813

Reaction score
Another problem....when you sign a player early, the team should get some sort of discount.

I'm still trying to recall who on the 2018 team was making so much money that we had to push money into the future while Dak was still on his rookie deal.

We are paying the price now for those DLaw and Elliott low cap figure back then.

Tyron Smith 17.45mil, D-Law Tag of 17.1, Romo 8.9mil dead, Dez Bryant 8mil dead, Crawford 9.1 mil, Lee 10-11mil etc...

fivetwos

Reaction score
Tyron Smith 17.45mil, D-Law Tag of 17.1, Romo 8.9mil dead, Dez Bryant 8mil dead, Crawford 9.1 mil, Lee 10-11mil etc...
Yep....so we are now paying dearly for trying to make the Garrett situation work.

Crawford was stupidity on a level that I've never seen.....even from these two.

MWH1967

The Cook
Reaction score
personally, the 11 interceptions were impressive but, giving up almost the most passing yds doesn't constitute a raise in my opinion. I would gladly take 5 or 6 ints and half the yds against.

1068 yds and 5 scores and i get a raise?......Cool!!

McKDaddy

Reaction score
What I will give him Kudos for is actually playing well 2 years in a row. If he did the 11 interception thing in a contract year , I'd be mighty suspicious. Ya know, how DLAW did lololololololol

Oh snap. Break off a piece of that truth bar why don't ya?

Flamma

Reaction score
The dead money on these Dak restructures in that added voidable year are going to be sick.

But yeah they will probably find a way.

I expect it to be a very top heavy roster.....and those guys inevitably mail it in, or decline, or both.

You can already see how the zero FA excuse is nice and set up for quite a while.

Yeah, not just the voidable year, but the other years will also go up due to restructure. Because they will probably turn it into bonus or restructure money.

But you're right on the restructures. They'll probably have to do it again next year, then extend him again just to have a reasonable cap hit. No way can you add 5 million to next year and roll with an almost 50M cap hit for 2023. Not possible.

So we're looking at restructure, restructure, extension.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Diggs is way overrated. He gets burned far too much to be getting a raise.

Flamma

Reaction score
personally, the 11 interceptions were impressive but, giving up almost the most passing yds doesn't constitute a raise in my opinion. I would gladly take 5 or 6 ints and half the yds against.

1068 yds and 5 scores and i get a raise?......Cool!!

The only thing we can hope for is that he gets better at what he does, but I doubt he changes his style. You don't get all of those picks if you're not peaking at the QB. That peak can allow a WR some separation. The good part about it is, he gets picks, and QBs will think twice about throwing back shoulder passes against a CB looking right at them.

Flamma

Reaction score

I agree that teams should get a discount for signing a player they drafted to a 2nd contract. That makes sense. But the owners will never go for it.

Signing a player after 3 years is not really early. If you wait until after the 4th year it's no longer an extension, but a new contract. Not only that, but you end up paying even more.

Jerry screwed the pooch on the Dak contract. Either give him an extension after 3 years or let him walk after 4. Signing him after 5 was a failure in judgement. Dak would have been 25-28M after 3 years.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Yeah, not just the voidable year, but the other years will also go up due to restructure. Because they will probably turn it into bonus or restructure money.

But you're right on the restructures. They'll probably have to do it again next year, then extend him again just to have a reasonable cap hit. No way can you add 5 million to next year and roll with an almost 50M cap hit for 2023. Not possible.

So we're looking at restructure, restructure, extension.
The other day for the first time....I noticed that we have almost 15 million in dead money against the 2025 cap for Dak alone, when the contract expires in after 2024...and they are going to do this at least once more? And with others?

I can see doing it....if you have some sort of plan to go all in to win....but that doesn't appear to be the case.

My point and problem....what's the real plan here?

SORT of mortgage the future? Makes little sense.

The more I type this stuff out, the more I realize that Dallas fans and ownership are on two very different pages, hence the dissatisfaction around here.

DCreppinBoysfan

Reaction score
Spotrac estimating his extension to be 4 year 87 million, based off of market value.

Do it Jerruh

Flamma

Reaction score
The other day for the first time....I noticed that we have almost 15 million in dead money against the 2025 cap for Dak alone, when the contract expires in after 2024...and they are going to do this at least once more? And with others?

I can see doing it....if you have some sort of plan to go all in to win....but that doesn't appear to be the case.

My point and problem....what's the real plan here?

SORT of mortgage the future? Makes little sense.

The more I type this stuff out, the more I realize that Dallas fans and ownership are on two very different pages, hence the dissatisfaction around here.

LOL sort of mortgage the future. That's a good observation. I can kind of understand Jerry's hesitancy. Do we really want to give up a lot of first round picks? That doesn't always work. I'm more for going a little bigger in FA instead of dumpster diving. Or look for Trades like we did with Robert Quinn, or like the Rams did with OBJ and Von Miller. But he never does that except for Quinn.

But you have to be careful about giving away premium picks. Sean McVay knew he had a good team. He topped them off. As opposed to Seattle. Two first round picks for a S, and the team really wasn't that good to begin with.

John813

Reaction score
Spotrac estimating his extension to be 4 year 87 million, based off of market value.

Do it Jerruh

I wouldn't say he's better than Ramsey or Humphrey(20mil avv and 19.5mil respectively) but he has another year to improve his game some more. Add in inflation to deals and I guess 22.25aav may be legit
Ramsey got 25mil SB over 5 years, so for a 4 year I would expect the SB to be around 20-22mil.
Prorated 4mil of the SB in his 4th year contract if he signs before his 4th year and it's a 4 year, 83mil contract in new money for the start of the new deal.

I expect any deal to be automatically restructured, and if he signs in his 4th year, it could be as soon as year one of his new deal.

Flamma

Reaction score
Cowboys finally got a play making CB!

Finally. I don't care how many yards he gives up. That early to mid 80s Cowboys backfield with Everson Walls, Michael Downs, Ron Fellows, they gave up a lot of yards too. But they got picks. They were game changers. That's why it's important to have a decent pass rush. Those guys back then looked back at the QB because they knew the QB had to crap or get off the pot with Harvey Martin, Randy White, and Too Tall breathing down their neck.

BaileyRiley1

Reaction score
Finally get a CB that takes the ball away and some don’t want him resigned when he’s up.. smh