Video: Trevon Diggs & Micah Parson Can Make This Defense Elite | All 22

tyke1doe

Reaction score
I think when DeMarcus Lawrence gets back, he's going to be even better. I think he needs motivation. He had a great season pre-contract extension. Then after that, he seem to settle into mediocrity, at least in terms of sacks.

I think Parsons and Diggs have brought a "dog" element to this defense, and, likely are natural leaders. It would have been harder for Diggs, however, to take the leadership mantle for the team because he's a second-year player and he's a member of the secondary. Unless you're Ronnie Lott, you need someone from the front seven to establish an identity for the defense. Parsons (from what we've seen so far) brings that. I think the other guys will feed off him - as will DLaw.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Both are on their way to becoming elite players.

I think the difference right now is roster depth and Quinn has everyone buying in as a unit.....the complete opposite of what we were looking at a year ago.

I'll give a rare kudos to the powers that be for recognizing a mistake and getting it fixed this quickly.

NEODOG

44cowboys22
Reaction score
Okay, we're all happy with the defense so far, but let's calm down on the "elite" stuff.
Elite D doesn't have wide open receivers running through it

Elite D doesn't allow the likes of Brady & Roger's to have more than 2 seconds to set up shop

Elite it ain't.....trending better than last year.......absolutely

But that bar we set last year requires roller skates & limbo

Doomsday101

Reaction score

Elite D doesn't allow the likes of Brady & Roger's to have more than 2 seconds to set up shop

I don't think Cowboys defense is elite, I do think players like Parson and Diggs can help this defense become a top defense in the NFL. Cowboys no doubt have things to clean up, there is still miscommunications at time that has allowed WR or TE to be wide open and those things can be fixed. I also think that this defense has played a total of 3 games together and will only improve. I'm not looking at this defense compared to last season, I am looking at this years defense and seeing multiple players out there making big plays be it Parson, Diggs, Kearse, Oas and others. In my view this is the tip of the iceberg and this group should only get better.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Two things I noticed from the video:

1. Why was Parsons not credited with two sacks?
2. Jaylon is STILL running away from tackles. I'm trying to stay in his camp, but when we get the All-22 tapes, his errors are egregious. :(

fivetwos

Reaction score

2. Jaylon is STILL running away from tackles. I'm trying to stay in his camp, but when we get the All-22 tapes, his errors are egregious. :(
There are times he looks like a cornerback the way he approaches a ball carrier....very cautiously, heading sort of backward.....he is supposed to be the guy dishing out the punishment, not the one trying to avoid it.

It's beyond strange but as long as the staff can find a spot for him to excel, and I think that may have happened on Monday, we can live with it for now.

Doesn't matter what he does or doesn't do....he is done here after this season. The money going to him needs to be allocated to key guys on this team with expiring deals.

Even if he returns to late 2018 form, it's over for him here.

I hope to see Cox get some more reps because he is clearly the future in that role, but it is what it is for now.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Okay, we're all happy with the defense so far, but let's calm down on the "elite" stuff.

Elite for today’s standard is not saying much.

Dallas could easily reach that with the playmakers they have on defense once it’s fully healthy.

Madtowner

Reaction score

Parsons was credited with a TFL but not a sack as Hurts was considered a runner on that play (RPO/read-option).

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

Elite defense is keeping point totals low, pressuring the QB, and getting turnovers.

We’re kinda doing that.

Bills and Rams are the only elite teams that have really good defenses.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Parsons was credited with a TFL but not a sack as Hurts was considered a runner on that play (RPO/read-option).
Thanks for the explanation. I think it should have been a sack because it was the quarterback. But ... again, thanks.

bonafidebanter

Reaction score

**THIS**

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Elite for today’s standard is not saying much.

Dallas could easily reach that with the playmakers they have on defense once it’s fully healthy.
I don't think there's enough talent for that yet. Maybe next year they can be one of the better ones.

One thing is, the turnovers have helped a ton and they aren't going to continue at this ridiculous rate all year.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score

We just need Neal back soon. Smith is ok as long as his snaps are limited.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I don't think there's enough talent for that yet. Maybe next year they can be one of the better ones.

One thing is, the turnovers have helped a ton and they aren't going to continue at this ridiculous rate all year.

Yeah the turnovers will go away but I dunno I just feel like with Parsons chasing the QB there is a chance for someone to make a play. He’s going to make QB uncomfortable.

The defense just looks rock solid. We haven’t seen them really get dominated this year. It’s been coverage breakdowns more than anything.

I just don’t have respect for the way this league plays defense and I think Dallas can play a brand of defense that is more than just your everyday defense. The defense has the players to actually grow and get better I think.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Right now the big difference I see is with past defense it was always 1 or 2 guys the defense depended on to have a good game, right now I am see multiple players making impact plays within the game.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score

People on this forum like to label lots of things about this team "Elite."
I am still looking for a proven and consistent example of what I would consider to be Elite.