Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

Cowboys starter at QB next season: Trey Lance. Book it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

Pete, I don’t think we have enough info yet to “book” that Trey Lance is absolutely the starter of the future. He will certainly have the opportunity in the upcoming training camp and preseason games to show off what he has. Maybe he has what it takes - maybe he doesn’t.

I‘m certainly open to seeing a new QB under center in the future but there’s a reason the niners made him available. He was not exactly lighting it up for them in the time he was there.

To me, if 2024 is a rousing success for the Cowboys that includes winning multiple playoff games, it’s doubtful Lance is the QB of the future here. If the Cowboys crash and burn in 2024 coupled with Lance showing he’s capable as a starter, he could be the starter in 2025. We will see in time I guess.

blueblood70

Reaction score
SMMFH!! :facepalm: here we go again,

not enough Dak threads and qb who couldn't beat out any backup in a qb friendly bus driver offense, loaded with talent and got the boot ie his old team ATE 3 1sts rounders for a 4th because lance is talented, more talented than rush and could take daks place. dream much!??!

good luck, your only supporters of this narrative, are all in the regular daily dak hate club..

Try harder,

lance is project and while i support him getting the backup role to get more snaps, chances of him ever become a viable starter BETTER than Dak are slim maybe we wait 10 years like Geno smith and finally he becomes above average lol.

Fact is Trey Lance is probably destined to become the next and then just set of failed first round quarterback bus like Sam Darnold and others like him that start bouncing around the league as backups until they finally burn out and move on and hope they have a college degree so they don't end up working at home depot...

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is the biggest thing and so far about the only thing I am looking forward to this off-season. What Lance does is TC and PS games. And the improvement of a few other players as well.
We know they will tell us in the OTA's, and mini camps he is doing great. As they do for all players.
You know, best shapes of their lives.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
Obviously it depends upon his progression as a QB. I have little doubt in my mind that JJ has been disappointed with Dak’s playoff performances (despite supporting him publicly) and that’s why he gave up draft capital with the hope that Lance could be the next franchise QB. And this was before the choke job this year. Lance certainly has the physical tools and measurables. It’s whether he has it in between the ears, can process defenses quickly enough to deliver the ball correctly, and has the mental fortitude to not fold under pressure, all of which can only be seen in full blown game situations.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
I dont see how Dak's new figure wasnt agreed upon during last signing. In a multi-Billion dollar industry with 30+ Organizations trying to complete for a Championship with Cap restrictions...just seems like Dak's new figure/percentage would have been agreed up on already.

If this were real and made sense...I think the above is how things would operate.

But...lets assume it doesnt work like that. Only way I see the Jones' moving on is if they have drawn a line in the sand and are willing to go all in on a take it or leave it approach with Dak's agent.

I dont know if the take it or leave it approach is actually possible since I have read on here something about how Dak's current contract is structured...if the Jones' choose a certain path it completely messes up the books for other players. I dont know how true that is...just what I read here.

Dak has a kid, a house with a football field in the back...dude doesnt want to leave here while having his first baby. Jones' should play hard ball with him now after he and his agent got theirs last time. Dak deserved the first contract after playing on a rookie deal for 4 years. Dak and his agent bent the Jones' over. Now...Jones' need to be reasonable but draw a line in the sand.

Maybe the Jones' can be at fault for not having a better back up plan than Lance if they have to move on. Dak and the Jones' should both be reasonable and do whats best for the team.

Posters complain about 28 years without a trophy but want to punt another 2 or 3 years down the road looking for a better QB than Dak. Jackpots are hard to come by.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is the biggest thing and so far about the only thing I am looking forward to this off-season. What Lance does is TC and PS games. And the improvement of a few other players as well.
We know they will tell us in the OTA's, and mini camps he is doing great. As they do for all players.
You know, best shapes of their lives.
You are so right Jazzy regarding what we will hear in TC, mini-camps, etc. Never is heard a discouraging word about any player. Every TC there will be some career backup player who is “having a great training camp” followed by a visit from “the Turk“ weeks later, lol!

Jimbo123

Reaction score
I dont see how Dak's new figure wasnt agreed upon during last signing. In a multi-Billion dollar industry with 30+ Organizations trying to complete for a Championship with Cap restrictions...just seems like Dak's new figure/percentage would have been agreed up on already.

If this were real and made sense...I think the above is how things would operate.

But...lets assume it doesnt work like that. Only way I see the Jones' moving on is if they have drawn a line in the sand and are willing to go all in on a take it or leave it approach with Dak's agent.

I dont know if the take it or leave it approach is actually possible since I have read on here something about how Dak's current contract is structured...if the Jones' choose a certain path it completely messes up the books for other players. I dont know how true that is...just what I read here.

Dak has a kid, a house with a football field in the back...dude doesnt want to leave here while having his first baby. Jones' should play hard ball with him now after he and his agent got theirs last time. Dak deserved the first contract after playing on a rookie deal for 4 years. Dak and his agent bent the Jones' over. Now...Jones' need to be reasonable but draw a line in the sand.

Maybe the Jones' can be at fault for not having a better back up plan than Lance if they have to move on. Dak and the Jones' should both be reasonable and do whats best for the team.

Posters complain about 28 years without a trophy but want to punt another 2 or 3 years down the road looking for a better QB than Dak. Jackpots are hard to come by.
There's a good chance they'll let him take the baby with him if he leaves.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The problem with trying to figure out how the Jones are doing negotiations is they are typically way behind other teams in being aggressive to get deals done.

They tend to wait til the last minute because they believe that puts pressure on the player to agree to their terms. But when you look at the deals they have made in the last 5-10 years, they aren’t exactly great for the team’s long term future. Look no further than the Zeke and Dak contracts. They got played by Zeke then overpaid, and they waited way too long to get a deal done with Dak before 2020. They could have signed Dak in 2019 for a lot less than what they did in 2020, then wouldn’t be in the position they’re in now with Dak needing a extension.Their hesitation cost them.

The Jones boys are great businessmen. But they suck at contract negotiations.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score

The 2024-25 season marks the possible end of many things for the Dallas Cowboys. Head Coach, Mike McCarthy and QB Dak Prescott are both in the final year of their negotiated contracts. Dak is entering his 9th season of his career. Having seen only limited success in the playoffs, he simply has not yet earned an extension with the Cowboys, but he and his head coach have been given one more season to prove themselves worthy of retaining. So, with that prospect, the future of Trey Lance with the Cowboys is most certainly not a priority. He's not even proven himself to be better than Cooper Rush, despite a few of you out there assuming so. Cooper is still under contract in 2024 so don't expect him to just surrender his job as the Cowboys' QB2. Trey Lance is just a practice squad player, no more.

FanofJerry

Reaction score
There's a good chance they'll let him take the baby with him if he leaves.
Yeah...I mean...having to pay to bring friends and family in from Dallas would dent the pocket book a bit.

I would assume two people in Dak and Dak's baby momma's shoes would prefer to stay put in Dallas with friends and family around during this first go at a child.

Youve already made 200M...is sacrificing 20-30M over 4 years worth uprooting for?

Real problems if you have real feelings.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
SMMFH!! :facepalm: here we go again,

not enough Dak threads and qb who couldn't beat out any backup in a qb friendly bus driver offense, loaded with talent and got the boot ie his old team ATE 3 1sts rounders for a 4th because lance is talented, more talented than rush and could take daks place. dream much!??!

good luck, your only supporters of this narrative, are all in the regular daily dak hate club..

Try harder,

lance is project and while i support him getting the backup role to get more snaps, chances of him ever become a viable starter BETTER than Dak are slim maybe we wait 10 years like Geno smith and finally he becomes above average lol.

Fact is Trey Lance is probably destined to become the next and then just set of failed first round quarterback bus like Sam Darnold and others like him that start bouncing around the league as backups until they finally burn out and move on and hope they have a college degree so they don't end up working at home depot...
It's early....we'll have another 10 threads on this today. Thanks for giving your thoughts...lol

Vtwin

Safety third
Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Lance has had a disappointing start to his career, but he has had some hurdles to overcome. A change of scenery with a full season and offseason to work and learn, without the pressure and scrutiny that comes with starting may be just the ticket for him.

If the Jones were sold on Dak his extension would have already been negotiated. They would have gotten it done during the season. If you're thinking in terms of the next fiveish years you get your most expensive and most important player locked up for cap planning purposes, among other reasons.

Acquiring Lance and not getting Dak's contract going forward sorted out speaks volumes.

It all comes down to just how well Lance is progressing.

All that to say he may, or may not be starting next season.

SultanOfSix

Star Power
Reaction score
The problem with trying to figure out how the Jones are doing negotiations is they are typically way behind other teams in being aggressive to get deals done.

They tend to wait til the last minute because they believe that puts pressure on the player to agree to their terms. But when you look at the deals they have made in the last 5-10 years, they aren’t exactly great for the team’s long term future. Look no further than the Zeke and Dak contracts. They got played by Zeke then overpaid, and they waited way too long to get a deal done with Dak before 2020. They could have signed Dak in 2019 for a lot less than what they did in 2020, then wouldn’t be in the position they’re in now with Dak needing a extension.Their hesitation cost them.

The Jones boys are great businessmen. But they suck at contract negotiations.
Nah. When the Jones’s want a player, they do it really quick. They did such with Ware, Romo, Witten, etc. It’s only when they have reservations about them that they run into these “issues”. It happened with Zeke for the same reasons it happened with Murray, and it happened with Dak because the team was still unsold on his potential to take them to a SB (despite what they said publicly). Also, Dak effectively bet on himself by making it a four year contract instead of more. Dak is about himself. He wants one other big payday. His playoff choke this year shows he’s not worth it.