Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

Jimbo123

Reaction score
The plan is for Rush and Lance to compete for the backup job. No way will they hand it to Lance, they want him to earn it. If he loses out he’ll be a wasted 4th round pick.
The backup job will go to Lance whether he deserves it or not. How would it make the boss look if Lance is #3 again? Jerry wouldn't let that happen.

TheCritic

Reaction score
For all these Trey Lance doubters out there, it would be interesting to go back to preseason 2016 to see their comments about Dak Prescott. I think it's only fair to hold judgment about Lance until once we've seen him play some preseason games.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

Cowboys starter at QB next season: Trey Lance. Book it.
Think a year sooner.

Dak post June 1 cut.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. Lance has had a disappointing start to his career, but he has had some hurdles to overcome. A change of scenery with a full season and offseason to work and learn, without the pressure and scrutiny that comes with starting may be just the ticket for him.

If the Jones were sold on Dak his extension would have already been negotiated. They would have gotten it done during the season. If you're thinking in terms of the next fiveish years you get your most expensive and most important player locked up for cap planning purposes, among other reasons.

Acquiring Lance and not getting Dak's contract going forward sorted out speaks volumes.

It all comes down to just how well Lance is progressing.

All that to say he may, or may not be starting next season.
Lance broke his leg and hand.

Many surgeries to fix.

He did get two seasons of book work with that brainiac HC in San Fran.

Plus one with Big Mike. Ok. That one is bad.

But still.

We are lucky.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I hereby declare that there will be numerous CowboysZone members keeping a watchful eye on the QB named Trey Lance!

Now, there's a not-too-bold prediction we can all likely count on! Mr. Lance may or may not be elite but he will be noticed.

MikeT22

Reaction score
For all these Trey Lance doubters out there, it would be interesting to go back to preseason 2016 to see their comments about Dak Prescott. I think it's only fair to hold judgment about Lance until once we've seen him play some preseason games.
He has played preseason games and even several regular season games.
People are still trying to pretend he is a legit top 3 pick who hasn’t put on a uniform yet in the NFL.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry needs to trade Trey Lance during the draft and try to get at least an early-to-mid 4th round pick for him. Several teams out there need a good young QB to start. Cowboys need a 4th round pick since they have way too many holes to fix this season.

TheCritic

Reaction score
Jerry needs to trade Trey Lance during the draft and try to get at least an early-to-mid 4th round pick for him. Several teams out there need a good young QB to start. Cowboys need a 4th round pick since they have way too many holes to fix this season.
Dumb. Anytime a team has the opportunity to develop a young QB with upside at a low cost, you take that deal. You never know when the next Dak injury will strike.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
The backup job will go to Lance whether he deserves it or not. How would it make the boss look if Lance is #3 again? Jerry wouldn't let that happen.
They won’t hand him the job, backup QB is too important. He’s going to have to earn it. Rush kept our season afloat in 2022 with 5 wins. The Cowboys have some confidence in him which is why they moved on from Will Grier who didn’t perform poorly in preseason last year.

blueblood70

Reaction score
This is a Trey Lance-centric thread. Sorry for making you so mad on a message board. My bad. :(
You know I didn't really care whether they extended DAK or waited until 2025 to make a decision but now because of all the Dak Haters,

I really hope they trigger every one of you and pay him that $60 million that's rumored and I hope somehow Jerry makes you even more mad and makes a Trey Lance trade for a seventh round pick to move up in the draft and get rid of the dude before you see him play so you'll all be so triggered.....

So I'll remember these threads and come back bookmark when all this stuff happens so the anti Jones and the anti DAK haters will spiral out of control maybe AT&T will break again

Last edited:

Kwyn

Reaction score
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

You’ve seen a lot of Trey Lance that inspires your confidence, have you?

I haven’t even seen anything that makes me ready to give him the backup job, although I hope that changes this year.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

I’m constantly shocked at how many “fans” don’t realize it takes all 53 players and not just 1. It’s easy, and lazy, to put all the blame on just 1 person. It does show, however, those that do understand it takes a team and the yahoos who don’t.

Swagger

Reaction score
You know I didn't really care whether they extended DAK or waited until 2025 to make a decision but now because of all the Dak Haters,

I really hope they trigger every one of you and pay him that $60 million that's rumored and I hope somehow Jerry makes you even more mad and makes a Trey Lance trade for a seventh round pick to move up in the draft and get rid of the dude before you see him play so you'll all be so triggered.....

So I'll remember these threads and come back bookmark when all this stuff happens so the anti Jones and the anti DAK haters will spiral out of control maybe AT&T will break again
In other words you are Dak Prescott fan and not a Dallas Cowboys fan. Extending that bum will be the final nail in the coffin for this franchise.

Enjoy the fake personality with a loser, weak mentallity and zero accountability.

You come across as a gimp and/or Tad Prescott.

BoyzBlaster

Reaction score
Isn't the problem with Lance that the Cowboys have basically 2 months before they have to decide whether or not to pay him $25 million. Which they won't. So they are just assuming he will come back on some low ball deal even though he'll be a free agent after the 24 season?

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We’ve seen him play plenty of preseason games as well as regular season games.