Trey Lance: Cowboys Starter in 2025?

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.

Cowboys starter at QB next season: Trey Lance. Book it.
Book Trey Lance as the starter in 2025? Dream on! :rolleyes: He may not even be here in 2025. McCarthy was retained because of three straight 12-5 seasons and we just won the division for the second time in 3 years. Jerry feels the team is close and didn’t want to change head coach. It’s that simple.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Let’s see some snaps at backup QB. I don’t know what their plan is with Rush, but if Lance is sitting at 3 again in 24 the trade was a complete waste.
The plan is for Rush and Lance to compete for the backup job. No way will they hand it to Lance, they want him to earn it. If he loses out he’ll be a wasted 4th round pick.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Not with this team. They seems to specialize in doing crazy stuff sometimes.
They don’t crazy stuff at QB. No way does Lance become the starter unless he gets an opportunity to play during the regular season due to injury and lights it up for a number of games. He would have to play exceptionally well to where the team would have confidence going forward with him. Similar to the Romo/Dak situation.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
That is the biggest thing and so far about the only thing I am looking forward to this off-season. What Lance does is TC and PS games. And the improvement of a few other players as well.
We know they will tell us in the OTA's, and mini camps he is doing great. As they do for all players.
You know, best shapes of their lives.
and getting better everyday!! lol

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
They don’t crazy stuff at QB. No way does Lance become the starter unless he gets an opportunity to play during the regular season due to injury and lights it up.
injury most likely, dak gets injured and plays well while he's in then I can see this happening

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
The plan is for Rush and Lance to compete for the backup job. No way will they hand it to Lance, they want him to earn it. If he loses out he’ll be a wasted 4th round pick.
we know a lot about that

Big_D

Reaction score

That's a sound plan and of course even better if he wins the job!

Texas_Pete

Reaction score
SMMFH!! :facepalm: here we go again,

not enough Dak threads and qb who couldn't beat out any backup in a qb friendly bus driver offense, loaded with talent and got the boot ie his old team ATE 3 1sts rounders for a 4th because lance is talented, more talented than rush and could take daks place. dream much!??!

good luck, your only supporters of this narrative, are all in the regular daily dak hate club..

Try harder,

lance is project and while i support him getting the backup role to get more snaps, chances of him ever become a viable starter BETTER than Dak are slim maybe we wait 10 years like Geno smith and finally he becomes above average lol.

Fact is Trey Lance is probably destined to become the next and then just set of failed first round quarterback bus like Sam Darnold and others like him that start bouncing around the league as backups until they finally burn out and move on and hope they have a college degree so they don't end up working at home depot...
This is a Trey Lance-centric thread. Sorry for making you so mad on a message board. My bad. :(

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
That's a sound plan and of course even better if he wins the job!
We’re all hoping he does win the job so the 4th round pick won’t be a complete waste.

Big_D

Reaction score
We’re all hoping he does win the job so the 4th round pick won’t be a complete waste.

We'll see if McCarthy is able to get him up to speed. It would be a nice surprise!

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We'll see if McCarthy is able to get him up to speed. It would be a nice surprise!
exactly how much more time does he need lol, he's been here for several months now, he better get it soon my friend!

Big_D

Reaction score
exactly how much more time does he need lol, he's been here for several months now, he better get it soon my friend!

A full offseason until the preseason games start in August. They got 5 and a half months to find that magic.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
A full offseason until the preseason games start in August. They got 5 and a half months to find that magic.
I hope it doesn't vanish or anything, would be nice to see something from him in case you know who needs a little break or 2 or 3 lol

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
If Dak, or Lance, or whoever the next guy is, continues to be saddled with fraudulent head coaches and limited offensive coordinators, it won't matter who the Center snaps the ball to.

Coogiguy03

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
If Dak, or Lance, or whoever the next guy is, continues to be saddled with fraudulent head coaches and limited offensive coordinators, it won't matter who the Center snaps the ball to.
Problem is we haven't gotten fully rid of the kellen moore play book

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nah. When the Jones’s want a player, they do it really quick. They did such with Ware, Romo, Witten, etc. It’s only when they have reservations about them that they run into these “issues”. It happened with Zeke for the same reasons it happened with Murray, and it happened with Dak because the team was still unsold on his potential to take them to a SB (despite what they said publicly). Also, Dak effectively bet on himself by making it a four year contract instead of more. Dak is about himself. He wants one other big payday. His playoff choke this year shows he’s not worth it.
But here’s what the better front offices do with players they have doubts about instead of delaying and hedging:
They don’t sign them. The Cowboys delayed signing Dak in 2021 and then did it anyway at a much higher price than they had to a year before. If they had doubts, and I’m sure they did, why then back up the Brinks truck as they did anyway?

Look whatever anyone thinks about Dak being “selfish”, I think every NFL player needs to be because their career and earning power is a blink of an eye.

Besides, the NFL QB market is inherently insane. There are lots of QBs making huge money without much in terms of playoff accomplishments. It’s just the QB market. And it’s Economics 101 regarding “supply and demand”. The low supply of even decent QBs raises the high demand for them. Thus the overpriced market.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Dak Prescott has proven he is a really good regular season QB. Psychologically, something is going on between his ears in the playoffs. Despite his regular season success, has he shown the Joneses enough to warrant a $60 million dollar/year contract extension? I don't think so.

Unlike last time when the Cowboys could have paid him ~$28 million (and punted), this time they have a QB on the roster that is more talented than Cooper Rush and has a higher ceiling. His name? Trey Lance and he's only 23 years old.

My unfounded theory on why Mike McCarthy was retained? He's had a great history of developing young QBs. Trey has a big arm and ton of upside. The Joneses gave up draft capital to trade for this young man (which is huge IMO).

I expect the contract extension negotiations with Dak to drag on past the beginning of the new NFL league year and eventually stall. Trey has a roster bonus of $4.2 million dollars, and I believe he will be QB2 this season.

I think Trey gets the (cheaper) contract extension and Dak is playing his last year in Dallas this season.
So here is the main problem but I can go one further. It's not just the playoffs he doesn't perform, it's anytime we play a very good team.