Trey Lance/QB Breakdown w/ Chase Daniel

jblaze2004

Reaction score
Trey needed this game. If only we had one more preseason game to give him lol. Maybe we blow a team out and let Trey get some 4th quarter snaps during the season. Btw the oline was also terrible also but they are 3rd string guys.

_sturt_

Reaction score
We forget a lot of, if not most of, if not all of the bad if he just hits that last play... or, alternatively, that last play isn't even necessary if the fly route that hit Burnett (... it was Burnett, right?...) in the bread basket but was dropped had been, instead, a score. Or, if he follows up Stephens' seam route reception (that was fumbled) with a TD. He still would have had a lot to correct, we just wouldn't be talking about it in such Eeyore-ish tones here.

Oline was fine, even good, when Hoffman was in there as far as I saw... but once Shepley came in, there were breakdowns.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
After review...

The good was good. The bad was very bad. The issue is Cooper Rush can make the same good throws without committing all of those bad throws or bad decisions. Plus, Cooper Rush is way more experienced and can see the field better.

At this point, Cooper Rush is still your QB2.

Trey Lance is a QB3 who needs a lot of work and much more experience. Don't see how he is going to receive any of that now that the regular season is about to start and Lance will be an unrestricted free agent after this season ends. Find a way to fake an injury and stash him on IR. He won't make it to the Practice Squad if cut and hoping to bring back. At the same time, he's not anywhere good enough to keep on the 53 man roster when his roster spot could be used on another player who can contribute right now if needed as a backup.

Chasing6

Reaction score
After review...

The good was good. The bad was very bad. The issue is Cooper Rush can make the same good throws without committing all of those bad throws or bad decisions. Plus, Cooper Rush is way more experienced and can see the field better.

Trey Lance is a QB3 who needs a lot of work and much more experience. Don't see how he is going to receive any of that now that the regular season is about to start and Lance will be an unrestricted free agent after this season ends. Find a way to fake an injury and stash him on IR. He won't make it to the Practice Squad if cut and hoping to bring back. At the same time, he's not anywhere good enough to keep on the 53 man roster when his roster spot could be used on another player who can contribute right now if needed as a backup.
I believe they will release Rush with an agreement for him to be immediately signed back. He is a vet, so I believe he can not be picked up without off waivers.

KingCorcoran

Reaction score
I believe they will release Rush with an agreement for him to be immediately signed back. He is a vet, so I believe he can not be picked up without off waivers.
What team would want to? No one will pick Rush off the practice squad. No team would pick Lance off the practice squad. If anyone wonders why Prescott is always smiling, they need no look further than Rush and Lance. I’m surprised he isn’t laughing 24-7.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Not worried about Cooper Rush. No one would pick him up. Regardless, he's the best we've got for QB2.

The issue is why should Trey Lance occupy an important roster spot on the 53-man roster when it could be used at another position of need?

DuncanIso

Reaction score
Trey needed this game. If only we had one more preseason game to give him lol. Maybe we blow a team out and let Trey get some 4th quarter snaps during the season. Btw the oline was also terrible also but they are 3rd string guys.
He needs more snaps with the 1s.

The kid has talent. No doubt.

They need to make sure he continues to advance.

We need him to succeed.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
What team would want to? No one will pick Rush off the practice squad. No team would pick Lance off the practice squad. If anyone wonders why Prescott is always smiling, they need no look further than Rush and Lance. I’m surprised he isn’t laughing 24-7.
Rush is the ultimate relier pitcher, but he doesn’t have the same skill set as Lance.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
After review...

Rush/Lance splitting snaps with the 2s in camp.

Keeping Rush as QB2 just slows down Lances development as our next QB1.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Rush/Lance splitting snaps with the 2s in camp.

Keeping Rush as QB2 just slows down Lances development as our next QB1.
Lance needs more time (as in another year or two). All 3 of our QBs are free agents after this season. No time left right now to baby sit. Need the best capable and proven backup this season in case Dak goes down with injury. That would be Rush.

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
Rush would get picked up. He can start right now for some bottom feeders. He won't break their caps. If we made Rush available he would be gone within 24 hours.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That is correct. They had done this last year, and a few other years as well. Even when he was eligible to be claimed. No team did. I think he signed elsewhere for a year, then returned.

They may keep him on the PS, do his 3 call ups allowed, then be signed to the 53 once the roster shakes out.
I can see him as QB2 still, no arguments there if he is. Trey needs work still. But I do hope they have him active to get in some Taysom Hill type packages. I think he can be of value there.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No one would take Rush, yes correct. But they would take Trey. His arm strength and athletic ability alone, teams would take a flyer on.