Trey Lance/QB Breakdown w/ Chase Daniel

stinkface

Reaction score
Lance will never be a QB1. Not a good one anyway. He'll be out of the league in a couple of years.
I think he will be somewhere as a back up QB, just not here. The physical skills are pretty elite. His problem is the game is too fast for him right now for him to process.

PS. RG3 had a few really good years because he could make one read and take off and use his feet. He never got beyond that, because his body broke down. He had bird legs and was too stupid to protect himself and paid the price.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Poor decisions. That’s why Rush is our backup. He may not fling the ball 30 yards down field but he’s not going to make the big mistake either. He went 5-1 in this offense. Not sure how you justify putting Lance #2 after this preseason performance.

WillieBeamen

BoysfanfromNY
Reaction score
Trey should be the backup

Hes never gonna get to where he needs to be without getting in-game reps

Blue&Silver

Reaction score
After review...

The good was good. The bad was very bad. The issue is Cooper Rush can make the same good throws without committing all of those bad throws or bad decisions. Plus, Cooper Rush is way more experienced and can see the field better.

At this point, Cooper Rush is still your QB2.

Trey Lance is a QB3 who needs a lot of work and much more experience. Don't see how he is going to receive any of that now that the regular season is about to start and Lance will be an unrestricted free agent after this season ends. Find a way to fake an injury and stash him on IR. He won't make it to the Practice Squad if cut and hoping to bring back. At the same time, he's not anywhere good enough to keep on the 53 man roster when his roster spot could be used on another player who can contribute right now if needed as a backup.
Who does Trey look like, Quincy Carter?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Trey needed this game. If only we had one more preseason game to give him lol. Maybe we blow a team out and let Trey get some 4th quarter snaps during the season. Btw the oline was also terrible also but they are 3rd string guys.
he just needs more experience. so lets just committ to the next 4

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
He needs more snaps with the 1s.

The kid has talent. No doubt.

They need to make sure he continues to advance.

We need him to succeed.
what talent? he can throw hard and run? is this the olympics?

he is not very accurate and can't read a defense. top two talents necessary for a QB. that's why Rush is in the league despite his noodle arm.
and tons of strong armed QBs who are no longer in the league because they couldn't read a defense nor were accurate.

we need a QB to succeed. but Lance ain't it. that much is obvious. what you meant to say is we want lance to succeed.

John813

Reaction score
We saw improvement from Romo every preseason.
Now, this is year 1 for Lance here but he looks like a boom bust rookie prospect still.

The tools are there, but the toolbox is locked and I'm not sure if they have the key to put the tools in correctly.

conner01

Reaction score
After review...

The good was good. The bad was very bad. The issue is Cooper Rush can make the same good throws without committing all of those bad throws or bad decisions. Plus, Cooper Rush is way more experienced and can see the field better.

At this point, Cooper Rush is still your QB2.

Trey Lance is a QB3 who needs a lot of work and much more experience. Don't see how he is going to receive any of that now that the regular season is about to start and Lance will be an unrestricted free agent after this season ends. Find a way to fake an injury and stash him on IR. He won't make it to the Practice Squad if cut and hoping to bring back. At the same time, he's not anywhere good enough to keep on the 53 man roster when his roster spot could be used on another player who can contribute right now if needed as a backup.
Lance is is simply he hasn’t played enough football in a position that requires more experience than any other position. You can play any other position and get by on athletic skill till you learn. QB is not that way

stinkface

Reaction score
Who does Trey look like, Quincy Carter?
That's not a bad comparison from a skills set. IMO Lance far exceeds Quincy in the brain department. He has more overall skills then Quincy, which is why he was drafted much higher. PS. Shows you how bad we were that Jerry turned the keys over to Quincy.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The biggest indictment of Trey Lance is this was a step forward game.
He played more pre-season snaps than any other NFL QB and finished it with an inability to see defenders or read the plays.

His processing is simply not up to snuff, and you can't get game time with that as an issue.

I supported the trade because upside was high but you've simply run out of road.
Jerry says they will carry him and it appears they will, but why? He's an UDFA and if he signs with anyone next year I expect it to be post comp formula.
Gonna hand Dan Quinn one more player just to keep Lance on the roster?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
We saw improvement from Romo every preseason.
Now, this is year 1 for Lance here but he looks like a boom bust rookie prospect still.

The tools are there, but the toolbox is locked and I'm not sure if they have the key to put the tools in correctly.
its not year 1. its year 4.

CowboyFrog

Reaction score
What team would want to? No one will pick Rush off the practice squad. No team would pick Lance off the practice squad. If anyone wonders why Prescott is always smiling, they need no look further than Rush and Lance. I’m surprised he isn’t laughing 24-7.
this 100% its an FO that has failed...cant bring in 1 guy that can play QB to put any pressure on him..its ridiculous.

John813

Reaction score
and the spin continues

LOL.

What spin? The fact that I said it was his first offseason here makes me spin it in some favor for Lance?
And that he still looks like a boom bust rookie? I know it's his fourth year in the league. Saying he looks like a boom-bust rookie going into his last year of his ELC isn't a compliment, nor wondering if he can ever figure it out.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
LOL.

What spin? The fact that I said it was his first offseason here makes me spin it in some favor for Lance?
And that he still looks like a boom bust rookie? I know it's his fourth year in the league. Saying he looks like a boom-bust rookie going into his last year of his ELC isn't a compliment, nor wondering if he can ever figure it out.
no, the fact that its actually his second season here. although he joined later, he was with the team all year. in film room. in practice. and off season. so he is not a rookie. the fact that you spin it into one year, when he has been in NFL for 4 years, should be familiar with how things work in NFL.

but continue to spin. he looks like a boom/bust 4th year player. more bust. if he was a rookie, I could tolerate some of the mistake, but 4th year player....come on

I know I know I know, "he just hasn't had enough time and experience playing"....