Trivia flashback: from 1994-1996, Dallas' O-line allowed the fewest sacks in the league

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
1994: only 20 sacks allowed during entire regular season

1995: only 18 sacks allowed

1996: only 19 sacks allowed

If I'm not mistaken, during all three seasons, Dallas' offensive line allowed the fewest sacks in the league.

Sadly; Dak may get sacked more times this season than those three seasons combined.

Maybe in the first two games.

gimmesix

Reaction score
flozell,Gurode,columbo, davis he had no shortage of pro bowl players or players that were darn good. He still came up short with that line 1 year or not and cmon man whether you agree with that play or not the cowboys still had to give the ball back to aaron and we all know what that result would have been. It was the correct call according to the rules but I aint trying to tie up this thread with that argument. should have taken Beas underneath to eat up more time. I think the bigger problem was the fumble by Murray

That is an honest argument both of these QBs have been failed on the defnsive side of the ball and by Jerry. Youre disdain for dak is because of youre love for the previous QB. I do agree though its time for him to put up or shut up. something Tony wasnt able to do either. and potentially this could be a great defensive club

When we moved on from the Flozell-Colombo line, those were some rough years to play QB until we built up the Smith-Free line. There are all kinds of reasons beyond each QB, though, for why we haven't had playoff success under Romo and Dak, including the line of Flozell-Colombo getting whipped by the Giants front in 2007. The defense has definitely been the main deficiency, especially throughout the Garrett era.

So many fans on here put way too much emphasis on the QB. Sure, you mostly need a high-quality one to win Super Bowls, but even that isn't enough by itself. Rodgers is a good example. He's considered one of the top QBs of his generation, a future Hall of Famer, and he has just one title. Brady, meanwhile, has seven, not because he's a better quarterback but because he's been in better team situations, most of them with one of the best football minds in the game IMO.

visionary

Reaction score

If I'm not mistaken, during all three seasons, Dallas' offensive line allowed the fewest sacks in the league.

Sadly; Dak may get sacked more times this season than those three seasons combined.

It is not just the OL

when you have a QB who can read defences and throw quickly and accurately then sacks are fewer

Just see who plays OL for Brady and how “good” they look and never pan out when they go to other teams

same idea

it is the QB just as much (if not more) than the OL

fivetwos

Reaction score
The very best - as you defined them - are called elite. And elite money Dak is payed.

And its not that easy like you want to turn it.
The way you want to put it is like JJ forced Dak to take more money and Dak didnt want to but had to.

No my friend it was the other way around. And thats the main reason why some people here demand Dak to now play to the level of money he demanded. And thats elite. And elite is what you just described. Everything else is not OK and not acceptable.

You wanted us to show you the money. We did. Now show us the elite play. And dont start with that BS like my OL was just good not great, my receiving chor wasnt catching my balls i threw into the ground, the defense wasnt elite blah blah..

How about for example let your team be competitive in the first two quaters and not padding your stats in the last two because the opposing defense starters are already under the shower?
Not what I'm saying.

The situation gave him an avenue to command top dollar at the time.

He is supposed to become something he isnt on the field because of his pay? That's not gonna happen, and that was the gist of the point.

I mean, if you give Fehoko 25 million a year is he going to become Devonte Adams? Exaggeration, but along the same point.

Prescott can be really good if used correctly. If they expect him to overcome other players being not so good because of his salary....well, just watch.

starfan1

Reaction score
When we moved on from the Flozell-Colombo line, those were some rough years to play QB until we built up the Smith-Free line. There are all kinds of reasons beyond each QB, though, for why we haven't had playoff success under Romo and Dak, including the line of Flozell-Colombo getting whipped by the Giants front in 2007. The defense has definitely been the main deficiency, especially throughout the Garrett era.

So many fans on here put way too much emphasis on the QB. Sure, you mostly need a high-quality one to win Super Bowls, but even that isn't enough by itself. Rodgers is a good example. He's considered one of the top QBs of his generation, a future Hall of Famer, and he has just one title. Brady, meanwhile, has seven, not because he's a better quarterback but because he's been in better team situations, most of them with one of the best football minds in the game IMO.
2010 and 11 lines were bad if I remember correctly. in 2007 they beat up on the giants twice if I remember correctly. They just didnt show up when it counted. they scored 45 and 31 points. team wasnt prepared the same thing happend against the Vikes

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Aikman attempted 1,258 passes in those 3 seasons.

Dak has attempted 1,414 passes in the past 3 season and that includes 2020 where he missed 11 games. So, Dak has around 200 more pass attempts in 8 less games played.

So, of course Dak is going be sacked more. He's throwing the ball MUCH MUCH more.

The 94-96 OL was also the Great Wall, one of the greatest OL ever.

Especially at run blocking.

gimmesix

Reaction score
2010 and 11 lines were bad if I remember correctly. in 2007 they beat up on the giants twice if I remember correctly. They just didnt show up when it counted. they scored 45 and 31 points. team wasnt prepared the same thing happend against the Vikes

Giants defense got better, which was a huge part of what propelled them into the playoffs and Super Bowl. Our line was built for power and not for speed. The Giants attacked us in the playoffs with a lot of stunts and we couldn't handle them with our big, ol', slow, power linemen. The only player we had with any quickness was Kyle Kosier.

Nexx

Reaction score
timing offense also had a great deal to do with it. By the time Troy hit his back foot on his drop back he already knew where the ball was going and it was out of his hands.

NotForLong

Reaction score
2014 Smith,Leary,Frederick.Martin,Free
2016 smith,collins, frederick.martin,free
ya your right big difference there 2014 was better it had the best rushing year from a Dallas cowboy in history. end of discussion. still in denial about that game I see. Romo got robbed.? what about Dez what about Witten what about everyone else?
I dont think they got robbed but if that helps you sleep at night
You can never stayvon point can you. . . we were specifically talking about Romo and Dak . . . why wouldn't I say Romo got robbed . . .

And as far as the difference in 2014 and 2016 . . . the only differnce that made the team fail was Dak

You are a dishonest person who twists things to suit your agenda . . . good day sir

The 2016 team including The dumb pick of a running back with the 4th pick was for Romo . . . Then the Hall of Fame GM had a bright idea

plasticman

Reaction score
Just the other day, I was looking at all Cowboys QB's and Troy Aikman has the 3rd lowest sack percentage in franchise history.

Yes, I know they had a great O-line.....from 1992 to 1996.

However:

Troy got thrown out there his rookie season and he took some vicious beatings. He got thrown all over the field for at least two seasons. He didn't have a ready made solid O-line built before he became the starter, not like Tony Romo or Dak or Staubach for that matter.

Still, for a genuine pocket passer, Troy had a period of timer when he was very protected.

Streifenkarl

Reaction score
You truly believe Dak has a good Oline RIGHT NOW???

We will find out right away Sunday night.
What I wonder is, if they play a good game, it's on Dak? And if it goes all bad, it's on the o line?

Why making up excuses for the guy before the season even started?

Yes I do expect him to overcome the odds and win a game despite whatever his oline is lacking right now. He said it himself (once again), they're about to prove the doubters wrong.

Well then Dak, bring it on man, bring it on. And yes, I'd love to see that more than anything else.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What I wonder is, if they play a good game, it's on Dak? And if it goes all bad, it's on the o line?

Why making up excuses for the guy before the season even started?

Yes I do expect him to overcome the odds and win a game despite whatever his oline is lacking right now. He said it himself (once again), they're about to prove the doubters wrong.

Well then Dak, bring it on man, bring it on. And yes, I'd love to see that more than anything else.
No one is making any excuse. I just feel Biadasz with McGovern next to him and rookie Tyler Smith suddenly put at Left Tackle is going to be disastrous. I also feel Steele is going to get beat often. It's going to be a rough night for Dak if this starting Oline struggles.

CowboyoWales

Reaction score

Argh.....those heady days before the CAP.

TwentyOne

Reaction score
Not what I'm saying.

The situation gave him an avenue to command top dollar at the time.

He is supposed to become something he isnt on the field because of his pay? That's not gonna happen, and that was the gist of the point.

I mean, if you give Fehoko 25 million a year is he going to become Devonte Adams? Exaggeration, but along the same point.

Prescott can be really good if used correctly. If they expect him to overcome other players being not so good because of his salary....well, just watch.

I do understand what you want to say. Just my point or my view is a different one.

I know and i think most here know that Dak is not an elite NFL QB. Heck he is far from even being a good one. And no, he cant be even good if used correctly. And he will not suddenly be able to play like a elite QB just because he got paid like one.

The point is: But now he has to. Just because he demanded to be paid like an elite QB.
Market, availability of others, i dont care. He wanted big money, we paid him, now deliver. Nobody cares that he of course wont be able to do it. Thats his problem.

And dont be fooled here. The guy had a choice. He could have gone for less money. And please dont start with that argument nobody would have done that, take what you cant get, you would have done that too, you would be stupid not to do it. Thats just senseless talk that has nothing to do with reality.

No i wouldnt have dont it. I am not greedy. And i doubt most of us here would.
And no its not stupid to take less money. Money is not everything and for sure its not the meassuring stick for your intelligence. And wouldnt it be a sign of intelligence to realize if i took less money the team around me would be much better? So we together - as a team - could achieve or goals better. Wow, that to me would be a sign of leadership. To figure out what the goals of my team are and do something in a way to help them to achieve their goals. And one of the goals of course must be to win the SB.
And most of us arent born like this - being greedy. Most of you would have thought about everything very strongly. And you all have moral and ethical views you cant just deny or put aside. You cant just change who you are and where you came from. So dont lie to yourself just you like the guy.

This "everybody would have done it, you would have been stupid bla bla" is just an on vouge excuse for real greedy people.
Just remember: we are not talking about a 100 $ raise of your monthly salary, where you earn 1000$ a month and fighting every day. We are talking about millions where the guy already has 10 times more on his bank account. Keep that in perspective when you (i am not talking about you, i talk about people in general) say things like "take everything you can". It not something your life depends on.

In short: The guy wanted to view his sports like a business. Now dont be mad when i treat it like a business too. Dont you dare to start with wanting some understanding of your problems or what you couldnt do because you had a headache or your wife was pregnant. I dont care how you feel, how you cant, how you fart, whatever. Just pay me back my money -> DELIVER!

Play like the elites did before you. Like a Rodgers plays year in an out with a medicore OL and make them look great. Like Favre made a living with medicore receiving crews like they were the top notch of the NFL.

Last edited:

starfan1

Reaction score
You can never stayvon point can you. . . we were specifically talking about Romo and Dak . . . why wouldn't I say Romo got robbed . . .

And as far as the difference in 2014 and 2016 . . . the only differnce that made the team fail was Dak

You are a dishonest person who twists things to suit your agenda . . . good day sir

The 2016 team including The dumb pick of a running back with the 4th pick was for Romo . . . Then the Hall of Fame GM had a bright idea

you are too dug in to have a decent conversation. You are Pappy light. I have done nothing but bring forth valid staements.I was right about the lines. I was right about the defense. right about the call that irks you so much. I mean I was ticked too but that wore off rather soon. I could post comparative stats on the 2 years. they both played great neither deserved to lose and the defense let them down (and murray). Thats not agenda its factual but continue to wallow in your romo pitty. the only thing credible about this particular post is that it was stupid to draft a RB at #4 even if it was for Tony. you cannot overlook winning 10 games in a row in this league. Good day sir.

DFWJC

Reaction score

So, not as bad as Joe Burrow had it last year but maybe worse than Dak is used to having it.

Im going to guess 34 sacks, or middle of the large or slightly better.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Here is some trivia

• Both Super Bowl QBs last year were sacked more than Dak was
  • Both Super Bowl QB in 2020 were sacked more than Dak was

terra

Reaction score
The Giants in 2007 built a VERY deep defensive front. They were able to platoon and do it with a relatively small drop off from starter to backup. That allowed them to wear down the older Cowboy O line and that is the reason the O line failed in the 43th quarter; they were just plain exhausted.

Remember this is the same O line that in the first half ran the ball down the Giants throat for a 10 minute drive. and the same O line that could do little in the 4th because they simply could not.

terra

Reaction score
Here is some trivia

• Both Super Bowl QBs last year were sacked more than Dak was
  • Both Super Bowl QB in 2020 were sacked more than Dak was
And Dak was not exactly his normal mobile self for a fair part of the season.