Video: Troy Aikman admits rival was greatest quarterback of all time

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Montana was always my pick for the best I'd seen play. Only recently, I've been grudgingly giving way to thinking Rodgers is probably better.

Rodgers has two great qb's to fight in green bay before he can be considered the best of all time...;)

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
You know, I was never a big Favre fan, but I'd take Rodgers over Brett any day of the week. It's not even all that close in my book.

wow... its a lot closer to me... brett is the last of "hit em in the mouth" days....
but i respect that... i think:D

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I kind of think the true medal of a qb is how he plays when the game is on the line, when faced with adversity....
throw for a ton of yards.... but when the game is at risk, what would you do?.....

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
I would put Aaron Rogers at or near the top of any list of great QB's. He is better than Starr and Farve IMO. Montana, Stauback, and um... that's about it ahead of Rogers... and I'm not 100% sure about that.

Who would have thought that as he was sliding in the draft?

windward

NFL Historian
Reaction score
They played against each other twice if memory serves. I think Aikman's rookie and second year in the league (89 and 90). Dallas lost of course.

Once. The 1989 matchup was started by Steve Walsh. Aikman was hurt a couple weeks earlier vs NYG.

Plankton

Reaction score
Once. The 1989 matchup was started by Steve Walsh. Aikman was hurt a couple weeks earlier vs NYG.

Hurt on a QB sneak - broke his index finger on his left hand.

The Cowboys took the QB sneak out of the playbook after that, and didn't put it back in until Chan Gailey became coach.

DB_Cooper

RubyRidge
Reaction score
Hate to say it but I'd take Elway in his prime over anybody. Ever. Rodgers is fun to watch these days though. So is Tony actually.

Nav22

Reaction score
funny, how did Arron Rogers come up anyway?... he's not even in my top 5 QB's...
with the way football is played these days... you see how the passing percentages have soared with all the new rules.... can't touch the receivers, can't hit the qbs....... keep the players safe, but it was a different game.... receivers constantly had watch for lott over the middle... and qb's were cheap shot-ed every play....

I bet there were guys in the '80s saying, "Montana's not so great, Don Meredith could put those numbers up if he played in today's pass-happy era!"

Or "Michael Jordan's not so great, he's just lucky he never had to deal with Earl The Pearl Monroe!"

Never easy to accept it when heroes from your generation have been surpassed by guys in the younger generation.

rcaldw

Reaction score
Aaron Rodgers, and that's not recency bias. Nobody's ever done it better.

QBs are simply better now than they were in previous eras. Just like kickers, punters, receivers and tight ends.

the premise is wrong, therefore the conclusion is wrong. Never in the history of football have passers had as much an advantage as they do right now, that is an absolute fact.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
I bet there were guys in the '80s saying, "Montana's not so great, Don Meredith could put those numbers up if he played in today's pass-happy era!"

Or "Michael Jordan's not so great, he's just lucky he never had to deal with Earl The Pearl Monroe!"

Never easy to accept it when heroes from your generation have been surpassed by guys in the younger generation.

thats your opinion. i think rogers is very good player, who could go down as great... and I'm sure I'm not the only one who hasn't anointed him the best of all-time already :rolleyes:

DandyDon1722

It's been a good 'un, ain't it?
Reaction score
for the folks didn't watch montana....

the guy was the most clutch qb I've ever seen.,...
throw everything else out the window... game was big... he was big

He was BUT you can never dispute the fact that the play before the TD to John Taylor in that game winning drive against the Bengals he threw the absolute worst choke job pass you can imagine - right in the hands of Bengals corner Lewis Billups - and he flat out dropped it, hit him right in the chest.

I guess you need some of those in your career that help write your legacy

Just ask Eli.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
He was BUT you can never dispute the fact that the play before the TD to John Taylor in that game winning drive against the Bengals he threw the absolute worst choke job pass you can imagine - right in the hands of Bengals corner Lewis Billups - and he flat out dropped it, hit him right in the chest.

I guess you need some of those in your career that help write your legacy

Just ask Eli.

absolutely... every great player has one or more of those stories...

DWhite Fan

It ain't over 'til it's over
Reaction score
The best QB I have ever seen, sorry to disagree with Aikman, is Peyton Manning...I know every one is in love with SBs rings, but Manning, in my opinion, is the best to ever play the position...I am not degrading Montana, but of the QB I have seen play, I would take Staubach, Marino, Fouts, and Tarkenton over him...

Ring Leader

Reaction score
I look at what skateboarders do now and back in the day. Bicyclists and motorcyclists as well. There was no way someone was going to take their bike and bounce up and down on the back tire. Or do flips. Or even attempt to do those ramps and double flips.

And that flying Superman thing they do would be suicide.

Same with skateboarders. I tell you no one was doing what they do now.

So who is better? The people now. They have built on what was in incremental ways until they are breathtaking in their artistry.

Same with guitarist. Shredding is commonplace now. Tapping is common place. But other than a few like Richie Blackmore, no one was doing some of the runs they do not on fret boards.

Are they better now? Yes.

Montana was a smart quarterback. Bradshaw had more physical talent. They were the tops back in the day when they called their own plays.

But it would be difficult for any of them to measure up to players now days.

Brady is a fantastic quarterback. Payton is as well.

But what Aaron Rodgers does may be the best I have ever seen. He has moves similar to Romo, and is a quick draw like Romo, but he is one of the most accurate passers I have seen, outside of Aikman. And his discerning defenses is as good as it gets.

If Rodgers had a defense like the 92 Cowboys, that team would be running off championships one after another.

This is my opinion. And frankly I think it will be New England and Green bay in the SB and GB will stomp a mudhole in their arse and walk it dry.

But no way does Montana stand up to Rodgers. If you never saw Montana, he had a weak arm. He outsmarted the other team. And it was the West Coast offense that threw short passes.

Just my opinion.

On the absolute money.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
The best QB I have ever seen, sorry to disagree with Aikman, is Peyton Manning...I know every one is in love with SBs rings, but Manning, in my opinion, is the best to ever play the position...I am not degrading Montana, but of the QB I have seen play, I would take Staubach, Marino, Fouts, and Tarkenton over him...

manning is one of the best... fair opinion.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
wow... its a lot closer to me... brett is the last of "hit em in the mouth" days....
but i respect that... i think:D

Don't worry, you're not alone. Rodgers isn't even in the same galaxy as Favre. Favre won 3 MVPs -- in a ROW -- with HOFers like Aikman, Young, Marino and Elway as competition. Rodgers can't even muster a 1st team All-Pro... unless of course Peyton is out for the year. As long as Brady and Manning suit up, Rodgers isn't even the best QB of his time, much less all-time.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Don't worry, you're not alone. Rodgers isn't even in the same galaxy as Favre. Favre won 3 MVPs -- in a ROW -- with HOFers like Aikman, Young, Marino and Elway as competition. Rodgers can't even muster a 1st team All-Pro... unless of course Peyton is out for the year. As long as Brady and Manning suit up, Rodgers isn't even the best QB of his time, much less all-time.

to be fair to rodgers, he still got some years ahead of him...
my problem isn't with his ability..... he's blessed..... I'm just like, "greatest of all-time, already??"

and i still think its farve for now (in GB)... that could change... but that was one bad cat before he became mr. turnover.....