Recap: Troy Aikman and Moose Johnston Show Recaps Week 5 San Fran Game

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
These recaps below are a lot more verbatim than usual. I normally paraphrase them. But good stuff from both these Cowboys legends. They both came in prepared for the interviews because they knew they were going to get grilled after such a disasterous loss. I trust Aikman and Moose's opinion more than just about anyone. If you want to read some fair takes on the good and bad, please proceed.

https://www.theticket.com/ (for audio links)

Troy Aikman Show Recap
  • Michael Irvin said he didn't like the effort or will of this Cowboys Team. There was some bad body language thrown out. Is that a big deal? Or just what happens when you get beat like that and nothing looks good?
    • It's all a big deal. Especially going into a game like that with so much hype. You know what you're getting into going to their stadium, and especially because the 49ers knocked them out of the Playoffs two seasons. Everyone understood the importance and urgency which you don't get a lot of in today's regular NFL. When we played the 49ers, we always knew there was huge ramifications of that game in the postseason. I don't know if you can say that as much nowadays. There was a lot of emphasis and importance placed on it, and to not play better than they did, it's defeating. No question. I think to beat the 49ers, there is a certain style you have to play. And it's the same style if you're the 49ers and you play Dallas, you have to play. Formula is the same and yet San Francisco has executed it 3x in a row. That formula is you have to run the game. You can't get into one of these games you throw it, because your QB has no chance with their pass rushes. 49ers ran it 41 times. Some people would say, "well yeah, it's because they were leading by so much in the second half." But they ran it 20x in the first half. Your defense has to play well enough to keep the score down so you can continue to play that style. Dallas has not been able to play that game. When you go back and watch the 49ers games, it's really that they're so physical. And they do this to everybody! You see it at WR, LB, DB, DE, they preach a style that few teams in the NFL can match, and I marvel at how Kyle Shanahan has been able to do that. They set the tone with their great players.
  • Worst offensive performance by the Cowboys in 15 years. What are your thoughts?
    • I think Dak has been okay. I know that's a polarizing comment to fans, but that is part of playing the QB in the NFL, and especially the Cowboys, you always become a polarizing figure when you don't win games. There are things he can obviously do better, and he would acknowledge that as well, but I don't think he's as bad as a lot of fans think. One thing that illustrates how few throws have been down the field, is that Dak has a career high completion % and yet he has a career low YPA. Those two go hand-in-hand. The higher your completion %, the higher your yards per attempt. And yet it's the opposite for him. What it means is they're really not getting the ball downfield, and a lot of short throws which you saw. I thought San Francisco gave them a lot of opportunities to win. Not a lot of double coverage, one-on-one opportunities, and yet they weren't able to take advantage. Turpin had that TD. There was one to CeeDee Lamb that was more of a broken play where he adjusted his route when he saw Dak get out of the pocket. Brandin Cooks IMO is the best route runner on the team but there wasn't much opportunity for him. I think if you look at that tape there is a lot the Cowboys will learn from and do differently. Whether this week's game or when they meet San Francisco again.
  • Going back to body language. Do you get a sense that some of these players on offense maybe question what is going on scheme-wise or just mad they're not getting the ball?
    • I think it's both. It's a new offense, so that just happens, it's part of it. I'm just going off when I played, if it was an offense that a WR had a lot of success in last year and this year he's not getting the ball, then it's more frustration from not getting catches. I would imagine with a new play caller, and the way it's gone... I know CeeDee is playing more slot than prior years.... You know, there's 2 beliefs in the passing game. One is that it's timing based. I heard about it in the offseason with Dallas but I'm not sure what happened. That's the one I ran with Norv Turner and Ernie Zampesi. And then there's another approach that the WR beats the DB however he does it. I went into an offense with that too with Chain Gailey. And they are 2 completely different offenses. I talked with Jimmy Garapollo about it, because he came from San Francisco. Raiders are more 'let the receiver run his route and figure it out.' I think that's a hard way to make a living in the NFL. It's easier though what it once was, because windows are bigger because defensive backs can't hit the receivers the same way, so it gives QBs more opportunities to fit in balls. But... I still think the best passing games I've ever seen are when the QB is putting his foot on the ground, and the ball is coming out. But you don't see that much in today's league now. We witness that with San Francisco. On 3rd and 15 when Brock Purdy made that great throw, he's not holding on to that ball. Every receiver on SF has a system where they have to be on the field and it creates space. That's what I don't see with Dallas. I don't see urgency and spacing with the receivers. Without that, I think it's hard to be consistent throwing the football. But there's others who have a different philosophy. I think speed off the line of scrimmage is important to be successful. Everyone talks about San Francisco's running game which is phenomenal but they're #1 in yard per pass attempt too. They don't throw the ball as much, but when they throw it, they throw it well. There's a lot to be learned from what they do. I don't know why more teams don't try what they do.
  • Cowboys go against Justin Herbert MNF. Where do you see their offense with Herbert and Kellen Moore?
    • I think he's playing some of his best football. He's getting the ball out and creating plays. They're doing some of the things you would expect with Kellen there, that he likes to get to, and I really like Herbert a lot. So far it's been a really good fit. I'm looking forward to talking to Kellen about more of the things they're doing. There's a lot of HEAD coaches that would have taken a lateral move to coach Herbert. He's that kind of talent. He's that well respected. For Kellen Moore to be able to go and coach a QB like him, that's pretty good. They've had injuries at receiver but still a pretty good group.
  • We can't throw the Cowboys out just for one game. But to be blown out like that. The closest I've ever seen a team still go to the Super Bowl but have a game like that was when you guys played against San Francisco. It wasn't as lop-sided. But there were a lot of questions around town. I'm not saying this team is as talented as that Cowboys team, but as Parcells said, "Every team has a stretch where you have adversity and must bounce back." And I guess that's this stretch for the Cowboys?
    • Yeah, no doubt. It's a punch to the stomach but there's no question they can come back and still do everything they hope to do. There's still so much football. But to be 2 games back now from Philadelphia, you start projecting ahead a few weeks when they go to Philadelphia, that game could be huge. If Philadelphia has a 2 game lead coming into those games, it becomes huge not to get 3 games behind. You're going the tough way if you don't have a bye week or homefield advantage. It's difficult even though we have seen teams do it. It's easy to say "we've learned from this." Those are sound bites. The players and coaches always say the right thing. But you have to do it on the field. All the talk doesn't mean anything. The other games they've had, the Dallas defense has been so dominant. This group, I think they're still really talented and I like everything about them. The problem unfortunately for the Cowboys is they haven't played their best football when the games matter the most. Did last week's game matter most? No, but they did know it was an important game and they didn't play well. So it falls into the same category as those postseason games they've had.
Darryl Johnston Recap
  • Did you finally figure out what went wrong? (Moose said he was late because he watched the game before coming this would be a tough interview this week)
    • Yeah, they're just not as good as San Francisco. At least they weren't Sunday night. I don't know what will happen as the season progresses. It was disappointing. Everytime I got an update while traveling, it was worse than it was on the previous update. I thought Dallas would have held up better in the trenches, but they really struggled on the line of scrimmage.
  • When you look at the 49ers, when that offense is going right, it almost doesn't matter what you do. They don't seem to risk the ball, don't seem to have guys covered, don't seem to have problems springing big runs. And now they have a QB that has accuracy and poise. I see the Eagles and I see things and think they can be beat. The 49ers look like a problem at every position?
    • Yeah. I was never a big believer in the window scenario. But they are in their window now and they know they have a short window to win their Super Bowl. This was a progression to get to this point. Got lucky with Brock Purdy, but this style of offense that they've been able to create with McCaffrey, Deebo, Kittle, players lining up all over the place.... It's got to be so challenging for defenses. I think a lot of people want to talk about Nick Bosa, but man... Warner and Greenlaw at linebacker, their ability to get depth and take over that deep middle of field. They did same thing, and destroyed the Cowboys. Sideline to sideline very effective. Warner really was the defensive star of the game.
  • What does this do to a team like the Cowboys? Just a few weeks ago everyone was talking about them like you just talked about the Niners. This was supposed to be your litmus test. But the complete opposite happens and you are demoralized. You lose a lot of people to injury which we're finding out now. What does this do to a locker room and how important is it for the Coach to get you out of your funk?
    • Yeah, you can talk about it and all the cliches of next player up. But harder said than done. We touched on this the other week when they went into Arizona and what was the emotional state? Now what is the mental state coming out of San Francisco? Did we make too much out of Mac Jones, Daniel Jones.... and Brock Purdy with his throws and Shanahan manipulating coverage. If that was your benchmark, then you are well short. If it was a close game, maybe you can justify some things, but there was NOTHING there. You have to go back to 2003 to find a performance as bad as this one. Everyone was waiting for this game, this was one of the first big games of the NFL season and to have a performance like that on the big stage is obviously very disappointing.
  • How do you handicap the NFC now?
    • I think San Francisco sent a clear message that they are the best team in the NFC. Philly is that team that hasn't hit their stride yet. even though there is familiarity, think playcalling and QB are still growing together. They are not firing on all cylinders. So this is a good time to catch Philly. Detroit... not a ton of talent on that team. It is a true team though. They really exemplify the "next man up" cliches. Last week they were down their best offensive skill player and best playmaker, and everyone jumps in. They get 3 interceptions, turn them into TDs. David Montgomery is the best offseason signing this year, he's the heart and soul of that team. Goff is playing very well. I had a great conversation with him. He told me this league gives up on QBs too quickly. Dan Campbell told us he's a better QB now than when they got him. I think Detroit is a team you have to watch because there's not one single thing they do well, they just do well across the board, and Dan Campbell is extremely aggressive as a play caller. I think Philly and Detroit would be a great game right now to see who is #2 in the NFC.
  • Going back, final thoughts on Dallas?
    • They have to grow and adapt. Chris Collinsworth kept making comments -- This is the moment. This is a Dak Prescott moment. And he didn't rise to any one of them. Dak has to figure out a way to not put too much pressure on himself and play within the game, but he has to be the guy who makes the key plays when that game is getting away from them. I'd love to see him stretch the field more. Not just with go routes down the field, just some well-designed 18-20 yard routes. Don't need huge chunks, but YAC. They have unique athletes in Turpin, Deuce Vaughn.... Rico Dowdle might actaully fit the style of the SF game better. We always said that about Pollard with Zeke. I thought that was Rico's game. Physical, tough yards. I don't believe in a hot hand but I do believe in a tempo setter. There were some runs where he was adding life to the offense. When that thing starts rolling, let that playmaker go. Other parts of the season the shorter passing game has moved them down the field, but have to change it, because San Francisco knows your strengths and will take it away.

Last edited:

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Sorry if the all-bold is distracting. Not sure what happened. Was only supposed to be the questions. Maybe a mod would be willing to fix it? (Note -- fixed)

Last edited:

khiladi

Reaction score
Troy said, he has no idea where they got “timing” from, as that’s the kind of routes that ran during his day and we see none of that with this offense.

That’s what I said as well, Dak can do it. He’s basically a “street-ball” QB. I don’t know where they get these narratives from.

I think that’s reflective of what Johnston says when Dak just throws the “go routes”, no well designed 18-20 yard chunk plays.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Troy said, he has no idea where they got “timing” from, as that’s the kind of routes that ran during his day and we see none of that with this offense.

That’s what I said as well, Dak can do it. He’s basically a “street-ball” QB. I don’t know where they get these narratives from.

I think that’s reflective of what Johnston says when Dak just throws the “go routes”, no well designed 18-20 yard chunk plays.
The Troy part on that was hard to follow. He was all over the place trying to be diplomatic. He even mentioned Garrett, but not sure if he meant McCarthy. You can listen if you want at that link. My best guess is he was trying to say that he heard over the summer they were going to do more timing-based throws in the offense but hasn't seen it.

And we all know Troy loves his timing offenses. I remember this being a huge deal in the Chan Gailey days when they tried the other system. This is why I continue to say Randy Moss was a golden opportunity lost. Talk about the perfect receiver in that type of offense. He can outrun and outjump everyone, who needs timing?

And I agree with Moose because the Cowboys did almost feel like that in 1st quarter as they struggled on those 3 and outs. Desperate and throwing some cheap sideline go routes to try and make something, anything, happen.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
I think back to the 94 game when everything went wrong early on, but Michael and Troy rose up and fought back as hard as they could. They came up short but you never felt like they weren't good enough.

Dak went into the tank and started to force things, and Lamb basically got frustrated and started to give less effort. Not exactly what you want to see from your 2 most important offensive players.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
I think back to the 94 game when everything went wrong early on, but Michael and Troy rose up and fought back as hard as they could. They came up short but you never felt like they weren't good enough.

Dak went into the tank and started to force things, and Lamb basically got frustrated and started to give less effort. Not exactly what you want to see from your 2 most important offensive players.
I think it was Nav22 who made a post here bringing up what they said in this interview. 90's Team went through same thing. Got punched in the mouth regular season by 49ers in an important game (95) and everyone was tearing them up saying they didn't have a shot. Never had to see if they did though, because the 49ers conveniently lost to the Packers in the Playoffs who the Cowboys had no problem playing. Nav's point was same thing could happen here, you never know. And was Aikman's point too because he has seen it first-hand. Team could still recover, get lucky with Eagles taking out the 49ers. Our current squad has no problem matching up with the Eagles, and Super Bowl bound. Of course, that was the 90's team. Much rather have Aikman behind center and Emmitt running the ball, Larry/BigE/Donaldson/BigNate/Tuey/etc on the Oline, and just go down the list of players who started. LOL

visionary

Reaction score
It not complicated if you break things down logically. You have to begin with the understanding and acceptance that Dak is an ‘adequate’ QB and will never be a great QB that is the reason you win. Hes a bus driver and to win with Dak you have to have a few things: 1) a GREAT run game, 2) great OL and front 7 play on defense, 3) physical team play. We never prepared for any of these. It is going to be the sane story against Philly.

We need to either move on from Dak or draft a couple of OL (including a big center), draft a real 3T DT (this is where i kept begging for us to sign Hargrave in the off season) , draft a thumper with speed at RB (like Swift who was available in the off season), make Parsons play LB or trade him because hes not a DE. Then you might have something

Otherwise more of the same

Cowboys5217

Reaction score
I think it was Nav22 who made a post here bringing up what they said in this interview. 90's Team went through same thing. Got punched in the mouth regular season by 49ers in an important game (95) and everyone was tearing them up saying they didn't have a shot. Never had to see if they did though, because the 49ers conveniently lost to the Packers in the Playoffs who the Cowboys had no problem playing. Nav's point was same thing could happen here, you never know. And was Aikman's point too because he has seen it first-hand. Team could still recover, get lucky with Eagles taking out the 49ers. Our current squad has no problem matching up with the Eagles, and Super Bowl bound. Of course, that was the 90's team. Much rather have Aikman behind center and Emmitt running the ball, Larry/BigE/Donaldson/BigNate/Tuey/etc on the Oline, and just go down the list of players who started. LOL
Three reasons the 49ers had their success against us in 1994.

1) Team was still reeling from Jerry running Jimmy off.

2) The 49ers were allowed to violate the salary cap to sign an all-star team despite no cap room. This has been proven. Google it.

3) Got majorly hosed by the refs both on the no call and then calling a penalty on Switzer for rightfully being upset about it.

They were never better than Dallas, just the beneficiary of a league and owner that did everything in their power to derail the greatest team of all time before it set records that would never be matched.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Three reasons the 49ers had their success against us in 1994.

1) Team was still reeling from Jerry running Jimmy off.

2) The 49ers were allowed to violate the salary cap to sign an all-star team despite no cap room. This has been proven. Google it.

3) Got majorly hosed by the refs both on the no call and then calling a penalty on Switzer for rightfully being upset about it.

They were never better than Dallas, just the beneficiary of a league and owner that did everything in their power to derail the greatest team of all time before it set records that would never be matched.
Because they cheated on the salary cap doesn't mean they weren't better. LOL They loaded up on those teams. Thank goodness our oil tycoon owner knew how to talk Deion into leaving. We for sure would have been dead in the water if he stayed.

goshann

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks. For those who don't want to read:

Aikman
  • Dak okay, Mac offense bad
  • 49ers scary
  • Cowboys always choke big games

Moose
  • Dak bad, Pollard bad
  • 49ers scary
  • Cowboys always choke big games

Both
  • Put up or shut up time for the Boys no matter what they're saying in media

:thumbup:
Not very accurate summary lol

Praxit

Reaction score
....so to sum it up. Sounds like our offense design is suspect. Dak becomes a forced pigeon, to make throws in tight spots.

No WR, gets enough separation.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
....so to sum it up. Sounds like our offense design is suspect. Dak becomes a forced pigeon, to make throws in tight spots.

No WR, gets enough separation.
Yes, Aikman was basically preaching the same stuff as Kurt Warner. QBs know their stuff.

You could tell Moose was the fullback. Talked more about the run game issues, watched the linebackers play on 49ers in detail, more critical of QB when he doesn't make big plays.