Troy Aikman, Bob Hayes and 15-16 others that don't deserve HOF status

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Surprised Chris Chase somehow finds good writing gigs. He had one at Yahoo and it was unceremoniously deadpanned. He's just an awful writer and continues to write tripe like this.

YR

Plumfool

Reaction score
http://i640.***BLOCKED***/albums/uu130/plumfool/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-10/15D39B11-FA82-4DAC-A99B-BDB173BB5952.gif

CT Dal Fan

Reaction score
What made me chuckle is how the USA Today idiot uses stats to back up his Aikman claim; with zero regard that every time the Cowboys got into the redzone it was Emmitt time.

If this moron loves numbers, he should push hard for Vinny Testaverde and Steve DeBerg to get into Canton.:lmao:

Gameover

Reaction score
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/08/nfl...ndianapolis-pittsburgh-which-nfl-team-is-best

Cowboys 8th in wins the last 10 years! You want hear that listening to Schefter, Trey Wingo, whiny and spoiled Cowboy fans, fallen pebble,certainly not that clown SAS, or any othe source other than me, who has said for years the Cowboys haven't been that bad the last ten years! They only have 1 losing season since 2005! woe is us.

I agree on the Troy Boy tho!!

dfan32

Reaction score
What made me chuckle is how the USA Today idiot uses stats to back up his Aikman claim; with zero regard that every time the Cowboys got into the redzone it was Emmitt time.

If this moron loves numbers, he should push hard for Vinny Testaverde and Steve DeBerg to get into Canton.:lmao:

Was about to say, when you have the all time leading rusher as a teammate throughout most of a QB's career, that QB's numbers will be a bit lower. He still has winning percentage and QB ratings in the playoffs.

visionary

Reaction score
It is true Aikman ain't got the numbers other than the most wins of any QB in the 90's I think.

Here's a stat for you. Other than his first starting year and the year he hurt his shoulder, Romo has never thrown less TD's than Aikmans best year. (23)

Romo should surpass 100 more TD passes than Aikman this year.

Romo 242
Aikman 165

I'm not sure what point you are trying to make but as someone who is a fan of both QBs and watched both live and thinks both are very good, I would take Aikman in a heartbeat over Romo

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I'm not sure what point you are trying to make but as someone who is a fan of both QBs and watched both live and thinks both are very good, I would take Aikman in a heartbeat over Romo

It would be very difficult not to.

Especially now with an O-line like this...man Aikman would be able to kill in this offense.

dfense

Reaction score

I was just making some comparisons for all the Romo bashers who will never really appreciate him. Aikman absolutely rode Emmitt and Irvin into the hall of fame.

The Great wall of Dallas line, the greatest running back of all time, HOF WR, a great pass catching TE and the number 1 defense at the time. You can't deny Aikman was a bus driver most of the time. Without Emmitt and Michael, Aikman was a sub .400 QB.

Aikman made the ProBowl in 94 and 95 averaging less than 1 TD pass per game. WHAT?
Thought of as a tough guy, Aikman only had three seasons he started every game.
Aikman's best year 23 TDs 3400 yds would be considered a down year for Romo and people would be calling for his replacement.
Career yards per attempt, 4th quarter comebacks, game winning drives, etc etc, all Tony.

I appreciated Aikman when he played. But Romo has carried the Cowboys at times. Aikman ? Not a chance.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Stats don't tell everythng by any means. And they MUST be normalized by era.

Still, here are Aikman's TD/INT stats, Comp%, QB ratings:

Reg Season
165 TDs
147 Ints
3.5% int rate
61.5 Comp %
82 QB rating

Playoffs
23 TDs
17 Ints
3.4% int rate
63.7 Comp %
88 QB rating

Pretty similar

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
Entirely different era but for those who are curious, here the same stats for Romo

Reg Season
242 TDs
110 Ints
2.6 Int rate
65.2 Comp %
97.6 QB rating

Playoffs
8 TDs
2 Ints
1.1 Int rate
61.6 Comp %
93 QB rating

But again...different eras but the offenses (Zampese/Turner style) were similar....especially last year.

DFWJC

Reaction score
IIRC Aikman has the highest career playoff QB rating in NFL history. Outside of the 94 NFCCG he was a flawless postseason performer.

As they say, big time players make big time plays in big time games.
Not even close. He did raise his game slightly in the playoffs though....and was truly outstanding in 1992.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
A lot of folks have a lot of opinions and his matters not at all. Those guys were voted in because qualified voters felt they deserved it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
I say it on here at times when people get caught up in stats. Stats don't make a player or a argument. They can support your argument but if that's the basis of it then you have no argument IMO.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Everyone is hung up with numbers and Troy Aikman didn't have HOF numbers but he led one of the greatest dynasties to 3 SB wins in 4 years including back to back SB wins which is why he's in the HOF. The greatest team the Cowboys ever had was led by him. In the playoffs and SB he outdueled 3 future HOF QB's Kelly, Favre and Steve Young and he outplayed each one of them multiple times. His slant to Alvin Harper in the 92 NFC championship with the game on the line was arguably the second greatest play next to the Hail Mary in the history of the franchise. Despite Aikman's numbers which would have been better had he played in a different system he deserves to be in the HOF. As for Bob Hayes he was the fastest man to ever play in the NFL and was so fast the zone defense and bump and run were created to try and defend him. He was a pioneer and any player who was a pioneer that needed a defense designed to contain them deserves to have a bust in Canton.