News: Troy Aikman doubles down

TheTruthIsOutThere

Reaction score
One thing about Jerry, he doesn’t hold grudges it seems and he don’t take criticism personal. If he did, he would not be on speaking terms with anybody that has anything to do with the league or media.
He wants the exposure, he can't do that if he refused to do press conferences and talk with the media, it isn't about holding grudges.

Blue64

Reaction score
Interestingly, Aikman’s most recent unflattering remarks were inspired by questions concerning whether or not he would ever entertain joining the Cowboys’ front office.

“I doubt it. I think that’s a real long shot,” Aikman said during an interview Tuesday about taking a job with the Cowboys, “I believe it’s unlikely that Jerry will ever bring anybody in that can help this football team in that regard just because he’s been real stubborn and steadfast in that he’s the one in charge. I think, in a lot of ways, until that changes this team is going to have some problems.”
At least here’s a HOF and Cowboys legend stepping up to the plate and saying it like it really is.
would be good to hear some of the same from guys like Irvin, Smith and some others who respected the star and valued playing for this team

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Aikman is totally destroying what loving relationship he's had over the years with Jerry.
Troy Aikman has been one of the few former players with an honest critical voice about Jerry. And it’s been that way for over 20 years. Troy was critical of Jerry when he was at the end of his career because he felt Jerry was the one responsible for the creeping lack of discipline and accountability that Jimmy had established.

Troy has always refused to pretend the Emperor is clothed.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
One thing about Jerry, he doesn’t hold grudges it seems and he don’t take criticism personal. If he did, he would not be on speaking terms with anybody that has anything to do with the league or media.
Jerry doesn’t hold grudges? Last time I checked, Jimmy Johnson is still not in the Cowboys ROH. Jerry is an emotionally insecure man who hates being criticized by people who have personal knowledge of his weaknesses.

A leader with a strong sense of personal assurance and more importantly, a leader who puts winning a championship as the ultimate goal every year, wouldn’t run this organization like Jerry.

Bowdown27

Reaction score
Troy has been saying this. But it’s hitting home more because of the recent setbacks. Let’s see if jerry does the right thing.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Troy is still pee'd over the firing of Jimmy Johnson. And rightfully so.
He said once how (paraphrasing) disappointing it was after being taught to be so determined and believe, how frustrating it was that Jerry and Jimmy didn't practice what they'd preached to the players and they never got to see how much success they really could have had.

Jimmy wasn't fired, they "mutually agreed" he's step down. Was that a quit or be fired situation? Very possible, but as a technical matter, he wasn't fired...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
It's hard to believe but there was a time I held Jerry in high regard.

I never did, I appreciated that he brought in Jimmy and won SBs, but from the day he fired Landry I never had high regard from him.

And don't give me the "it's a business", or "every coach that's hired is about to be fired" stuff, first of all having coaches jump straight from college to the NFL and be super successful didn't happen before Jimmy, in the post-merger NFL, so having a a 5 time SB appearing coach in the house and just dismissing any chance he'd be able to turn things around, shows nothing but arrogance, and I have no tolerance for arrogant people of any ilk.

But to address the post itself, we Cowboys fans have but four choices:

1. Find another team to root for. Personally I'm too old and too invested in the team to start over with another one, I watched Oilers and Texans games (I'm a native Texan) and just never got interested in them, moved to Louisiana in 1982 but too many Saints fans turned me off them with their dissing of the Cowboys due to pure jealously.

2. Wait for Jerry to no longer be able to run the team - be it death, disability, or whatever - and see what happens.

3. Hope that Stephen takes over the team with Jerry's blessing and doesn't just continue "business as usual" with "more of the same" and hires a real, separate, authoritative general manager.

4. Just hope that through sheer luck or circumstances Dallas ends up winning another Super Bowl despite Jerry. Though that would of course make Jerry, et al think that they finally figured things out and were right all along so we'd have another 30 years of the same drivel we've experienced.

Take your pick....

Last edited:

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Troy Aikman has been one of the few former players with an honest critical voice about Jerry. And it’s been that way for over 20 years. Troy was critical of Jerry when he was at the end of his career because he felt Jerry was the one responsible for the creeping lack of discipline and accountability that Jimmy had established.

Troy has always refused to pretend the Emperor is clothed.
You guys honestly don't think Jerry and his family don't know this? Of course Jerry knows he screwed up. Jerry himself has even admitted it and even badly critiqued himself in 2016. But, you don't go out in public and blast Jerry Jones. You simply don't do it... unless you are willing to destroy what faith/love/trust you've previously had with Jerry and the Jones family.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
You guys honestly don't think Jerry and his family don't know this? Of course Jerry knows he screwed up. Jerry himself has even admitted it and even badly critiqued himself in 2016. But, you don't go out in public and blast Jerry Jones. You simply don't do it... unless you are willing to destroy what faith/love/trust you've previously had with Jerry and the Jones family.
What is Jerry, some kind of mob boss? I expect any ex-player with credibility and who cares about this franchise (like Troy) to just speak the truth. If Jerry and “the Jones Family” can’t handle the truth, how good are they?

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
What is Jerry, some kind of mob boss? I expect any ex-player with credibility and who cares about this franchise (like Troy) to just speak the truth. If Jerry and “the Jones Family” can’t handle the truth, how good are they?
What truth? That Troy believes he could do a better job as GM than Jerry? Ha! Half of the things Troy says on Fox Sports football games make no sense and makes one wonder what is Troy looking at during the games.