Recap: Troy Aikman on The Ticket - 11/10/16

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I still have much respect for Troy. I may not always agree with his take on some things however I think Troy always gives an unbiased view. As an announcer for FOX his job is not to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader his job is to give honest evaluation of all the teams he is covering good or bad, be it the Cowboys or anyone else.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When you are broadcasting on the air it's different than when your on a panel of analysist like Irvin is on NFL Network.

They are there to offer different perspectives and opinions. Usually they are more scripted intended to present and favor a certain team or player, etc.

And why we see certain players usually more Pro and Con for certain teams , etc.

But when broadcasting its more spontaneous off the cuff reacting to the events unfolding for both sides. Troy wouldn't be successful nor respected if he came across partial to one side or team very long by the general audience . It's much easier taking criticism from some Cowboy fans than the rest of the league.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I still have much respect for Troy. I may not always agree with his take on some things however I think Troy always gives an unbiased view. As an announcer for FOX his job is not to be a Dallas Cowboys Cheerleader his job is to give honest evaluation of all the teams he is covering good or bad, be it the Cowboys or anyone else.
Yes, and Troy probably is at times even more critical than necessary and why he's so respected from the rest of the leagues fans.

But the moment he appears to be a Homer or cheerleader he loses his respect from the rest of the league .

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It fits Troy's personality perfectly. As a player he was very critical as well. Especially when Switzer came aboard.

But Troy didn't tolerate crap from other players either. He was a disciplinarian and perfectionist . I'd say his Broadcasting is a true reflection of his personality and why he's my favorite Color guy and probably #1 in NFL.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It fits Troy's personality perfectly. As a player he was very critical as well. Especially when Switzer came aboard.

But Troy didn't tolerate crap from other players either. He was a disciplinarian and perfectionist . I'd say his Broadcasting is a true reflection of his personality and why he's my favorite Color guy and probably #1 in NFL.

When Aikman first started, he reminded me a bit of Joe Morgan on baseball. Both would make comments, about the game / play. Then they would explain it. So, and especially kids could understand what they said, and learn from it. And that was great.
But Troy seems to have gotten away from that. I wish he would get back to that.
Maybe they told him not to be that way. I have no idea. But he was much better then IMO.

I love Troy and his comments when on local shows, even back when he was being critical of them, but was straight forward. But for some reason while on with Bucky Joe, he's different.
He is not all that bad, even though I make many comments about him. But it's more he comes across as not trying to be a homer, so it doesn't sound right. However, we being cowboys fans and look at him as a cowboy. We tend to be more critical.

I will say this also, it's better he is the way he is, as to the way Randy Cross was. Or Todd Christiansen, they both hated Dallas, and it very truly came across in their broadcast.
I rather Troy be Troy than an outright homer or hater.

When we win and are consistent, the opinion of his broadcast will change to many viewers. Some anti Dallas fans will start calling him a homer when he says good things that are actually true.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Yes, and Troy probably is at times even more critical than necessary and why he's so respected from the rest of the leagues fans.

But the moment he appears to be a Homer or cheerleader he loses his respect from the rest of the league .

Our fans here are more critical than Aikman ever has been. I hear the critics on the networks they don't hold a candle to many at this very sight when it comes to being harsh

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm not convinced this defence has the pass-rush to beat Brady. Even if we were to win the TOP battle Brady puts up 34 points on us. Can Dak score 35 on a Belicheck defense ? No, not IMO but a healthy Romo might that's why it will be Romo come playoff time.
It could be a repeat of the Denver game a few years ago. The over/under might be 70+. Ha!

Diehardblues

Reaction score
When Aikman first started, he reminded me a bit of Joe Morgan on baseball. Both would make comments, about the game / play. Then they would explain it. So, and especially kids could understand what they said, and learn from it. And that was great.
But Troy seems to have gotten away from that. I wish he would get back to that.
Maybe they told him not to be that way. I have no idea. But he was much better then IMO.

I love Troy and his comments when on local shows, even back when he was being critical of them, but was straight forward. But for some reason while on with Bucky Joe, he's different.
He is not all that bad, even though I make many comments about him. But it's more he comes across as not trying to be a homer, so it doesn't sound right. However, we being cowboys fans and look at him as a cowboy. We tend to be more critical.

I will say this also, it's better he is the way he is, as to the way Randy Cross was. Or Todd Christiansen, they both hated Dallas, and it very truly came across in their broadcast.
I rather Troy be Troy than an outright homer or hater.

When we win and are consistent, the opinion of his broadcast will change to many viewers. Some anti Dallas fans will start calling him a homer when he says good things that are actually true.
Isn't it interesting that in most cases it's only overly homeristic Cowboy fans who take issue with Troy's commentary? Some are the same fans who take issue with any former Cowboys who speak out.

Are there any examples from the rest of the leagues fans where they don't feel Troy's criticism is fair on their teams?

guag

Tertiary Adjunct of Unimatrix 01
Reaction score
I think Roethlesberger is really a jerk. I've read where people in the media think so too.

Why did I immediately imagine Risen making a snarky reply to this?

"Aw, yeah what a jerk he is! That means we need to beat them twice as much!"

;)

Hardline

Reaction score
Not mines. It is inevitable. Especially with bigger guys. Small, wiry, svelte guys (Randy Moss, Desean Jackson, AJ Green)....those guys maintain elite speed over the course of their careers. These guys were "burners" to begin with. Does not mean Dez cannot be effective. Look at Demarco Murray...and his 99 yard TD run against the Rams. Lower body injuries and wear and tear robbed him of being able to take it the distance anymore...does not mean he is not effective.

Dez needs to remain professional, be a leader...and make plays when the opportunities present themselves. His time will come. That throw Romo made in 2014 against Green Bay...went to the only person on this team that could make that play...and he is still the only person on this team that can make that play. And for the record...he DID make that play. We will need him in a similar situation in a very important game before this season is over. And he needs to be ready.
Murray has never had a 99 yard run in his life. Dorsett is the only one to ever accomplish that.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
Isn't it interesting that in most cases it's only overly homeristic Cowboy fans who take issue with Troy's commentary? Some are the same fans who take issue with any former Cowboys who speak out.

Are there any examples from the rest of the leagues fans where they don't feel Troy's criticism is fair on their teams?

I agree. I don't always agree with Aikman take or any one all the time but I think Troy gives his views and does so in a non bias way. As I have said before he is a FOX announcer his job is to call it as he sees it not to be a Dallas Cowboys cheerleader.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Why did I immediately imagine Risen making a snarky reply to this?

"Aw, yeah what a jerk he is! That means we need to beat them twice as much!"

:)

Actually, it's food for thought . . . might not be such a bad idea, now that you mention it! :)