Troy Aikman on What separates great quarterbacks from the rest?

Mr_Slicky

Reaction score
Precisely. He was projected to go in the middle of the first round, but ended up pissing hot. Cowboys took him with pick 60. At the time it made a lot of sense.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
at least he didn't call out names. thanks, Troy, we know you have aspirations of being the GM one day when Mister Groundhog is delivering Jerry's mail to him.

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score
This is one of the most insightful comments I've seen about quarterbacks. Aikman ought to know! The first quarterback I think of when I think of one who just slings it no matter what is Jake Plummer. Remember him? He was with the Cardinals and later with the Broncos. He had some good skills, but he made none of the adjustments that Aikman talked about. It could be late in the 4th quarter and they're up ty 4 points, and their defense is playing great, and he would try some risky throw downfield that ends up giving the other team a chance to come back. I lived in Denver when he was on the team, and I saw him do crap like that over and over.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
This is one of the most insightful comments I've seen about quarterbacks. Aikman ought to know! The first quarterback I think of when I think of one who just slings it no matter what is Jake Plummer. Remember him? He was with the Cardinals and later with the Broncos. He had some good skills, but he made none of the adjustments that Aikman talked about. It could be late in the 4th quarter and they're up ty 4 points, and their defense is playing great, and he would try some risky throw downfield that ends up giving the other team a chance to come back. I lived in Denver when he was on the team, and I saw him do crap like that over and over.
yep, Plummer had an arm, but no thought process as Troy was stating. Many are like that.

KJJ

You Have an Axe to Grind
Reaction score
Agreed, he picked the LSU tight end after all!
His player evaluation wasn’t very good. He thought Stepfret Williams was going to be a real good receiver. Troy raved about him as a rookie. Williams lasted two seasons with the Cowboys and only three seasons in the NFL.

kskboys

Reaction score
Would give Troy the Cowboy GM position in a heartbeat!! Not just because of that one clip, but he's smart, competitive, passionate and seems to be successful with most every venture he takes on.
Unless he still thinks we should draft Lafleur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!