Troy Aikman said we didnt realize what it took till Haley got here, what was it?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Ok I have a question for zoners, Troy Aikman said something along the lines, that the dallas cowboys players didnt realize what it really took to win a championship till charles haley got here.

What was Aikman talking about, if you can go into details, of what in Aikmans mind that the cowboys players hadnt done so far or realized, till Haley got here.

We all know, Jimmy Johnson worked the cowboys hard, so that cant be it. Players like Michael Irvin spent extra time before practice and after practice, which rubbed off on players like Darren Woodson, Emmitt Smith, etc.. so that cant be it.

So, what was it that Aikman was refering too?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;3980912 said:
They all took up golf and learned how to focus.

Phooey Hos, i was all excited, when I saw you post in reply till I read about the golf. So, honestly, what was it, that Aikman said, we didnt realize what it really took, to win championships till haley got here. Is this what the dallas cowboy players have to realize too?

I never saw anywhere aikman was specific on what really took in details, on remark what it took to win, till haley got here.

:starspin

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3980919 said:
Phooey Hos, i was all excited, when I saw you post in reply till I read about the golf. So, honestly, what was it, that Aikman said, we didnt realize what it really took, to win championships till haley got here. Is this what the dallas cowboy players have to realize too?

I never saw anywhere aikman was specific on what really took in details, on remark what it took to win, till haley got here.

:starspin
Focus. I was serious about that part.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
They all became nasty people....they ignored their wives when they were told to take the trash out, they spread rumors about other players' sexual orientation, and they cheated on the field. I mean, it's common knowledge that you have to be "nasty" to be great...or so I've been told.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;3980921 said:
Focus. I was serious about that part.

So, its just focus? Nothing else, or focus in that players have to be more determined to paying attention to details in practice, film study, extra time on players own honing their game, etc...?

Mash

Reaction score
Well....Haley was a missing piece...he added that "violence"...."hate" ...you need in defensive players especially.

Haley let it all air out....he wasnt afraid to call out coaches...players...etc. Sure some of his locker room antics were strange and maybe disruptive...but come game day......the man came out there with "hate"

That emotion had a very positive effect on his teammates.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Mash;3980952 said:
Well....Haley was a missing piece...he added that "violence"...."hate" ...you need in defensive players especially.

Haley let it all air out....he wasnt afraid to call out coaches...players...etc. Sure some of his locker room antics were strange and maybe disruptive...but come game day......the man came out there with "hate"

That emotion had a very positive effect on his teammates.

Understand that, because Haley was that and more. But I thought if would be beneficial to this team, if anyone knows exactly what Aikman said in relation to we didnt realize what it took till haley got here.

Mash

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3980956 said:
Understand that, because Haley was that and more. But I thought if would be beneficial to this team, if anyone knows exactly what Aikman said in relation to we didnt realize what it took till haley got here.

would be interesting in finding out what Aikman exactly meant by that.

If it was "focus" ...you would think the great Jimmy Johnson would of kept care of that. ;)

I guess with the experience Haley had with the championships he won in SF...he passed on to the young cowboys team.

Stautner

Reaction score
attitude - in a lot of ways. Just a naturally agreswsiveness and focus - and also probably the swagger that someone who has already won it all carries - the confidence, the aura - whatever it is. Knowing how to suck it up and do what it takes to win games at crunch time - all the things that a winner exudes - and carriying the credibility that goes with having already won it all.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
My guess is that he brought an attitude to the team and that only added to the swagger that Jimmy Johnson had instilled in the players. His fearlessness and fight 'till the end way rubbed off on every player on that team (particularly the defense) and turned a great group of players into bullies that intimidated the rest of the NFL.

"Now remember, when things look bad and it looks like you’re not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. ‘Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That’s just the way it is." ~ Josey Wales

http://www.brucehanify.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Josie-Wales-444x550.jpg

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Stautner;3980966 said:
attitude - in a lot of ways. Just a naturally agreswsiveness and focus - and also probably the swagger that someone who has already won it all carries - the confidence, the aura - whatever it is. Knowing how to suck it up and do what it takes to win games at crunch time - all the things that a winner exudes - and carriying the credibility that goes with having already won it all.

:hammer: Exactly, what I think Aikman meant, but sure would be interesting to find out exactly what he meant by that remark.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
Stautner;3980966 said:

Beat me to it... but I really do think that is what he brought to the team (above simply great pass rushing skills).

bsheeern

Reaction score
Peeing on a teammates car with the top open. True story........
Oh yeah how to pee during film and meetings without leaving your chair.

So basically he taught the guys how to urinate from practically anywhere.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score
What that team was lacking - and what Haley brought - was a little bit of good old-fashioned crazy. Every championship caliber team needs that one guy who everyone knows is an undercooked lunch away from going on a killing spree. It brings a toughness and an intimidation factor to your team.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3980943 said:
So, its just focus? Nothing else, or focus in that players have to be more determined to paying attention to details in practice, film study, extra time on players own honing their game, etc...?
Joe, I hate to tell you this, but there is no magical formula to winning football. You never know what will focus a team.

The death of a player or coach, or hell in the case of the Bengals Zimmer's wife.

It could be a loss that pisses people off, or an article some media hack writes.

It could be something the other team said or did.

It could be trying to keep a coach from being fired or being inspired by the new guy hired.

Jimmy Johnson didn't have a magic formula. Tom Landry didn't. No coach in History has.

I have my own personal agendas on what I think it takes to win, but even there I will tell you that there is no such thing as a sure thing. I think the number one ingredient is a top QB, but I can easily show you where Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, and Dan Marino fit that description and never won it all. I can show you where Peyton Manning should have several of them by now but doesn't.

Football cannot be explained no matter how hard people try. For example, no one can explain to me why the Patriots lost the Super Bowl their undefeated season and have not won a post season game since then. Last year they were 14-2 and lost to a Jets team that just 6 weeks prior they had throttled 45-3 in the same stadium they lost to them.

As it stands right now that great team with an MVP QB has a 3 game losing streak in the post season.

No one can explain to me why the 1970's Steelers could dominate 4 out of 6 years, have an amazing defense in between 2 Super Bowl runs and look like nothing special the next year.

No one can explain to me how the Saints go from dominant champion to wildcard in 1 year.

It's football. The ball is shaped funny, it bounces funny, and 45 guys have to be on the same page more often than the other team or the best talent in the world takes you nowhere.

Charles Haley was a proven winner. He had 2 Super Bowl rings. When he talked guys listened, even if part of the time he was out of his mind.