Troy Aikman said we didnt realize what it took till Haley got here, what was it?

Stautner

Reaction score
The30YardSlant;3980985 said:
What that team was lacking - and what Haley brought - was a little bit of good old-fashioned crazy. Every championship caliber team needs that one guy who everyone knows is an undercooked lunch away from going on a killing spree. It brings a toughness and an intimidation factor to your team.

The Butkus/Singletary/Nitschke/Alzado/Lambert factor. We certainly don't seem to have anyone with that mentality today. Everyone seems pretty rational.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
bsheeern;3980977 said:
Peeing on a teammates car with the top open. True story........
Oh yeah how to pee during film and meetings without leaving your chair.

So basically he taught the guys how to urinate from practically anywhere.
That was head coach George Seifert's car.

ndanger

Reaction score
My experience during those years when I would go before the games to get autographs, Charles Haley would not even acknowledge people people in front him, whether it be adults or kids. He would just look straight ahead and keep walking as if no one even existed...............FOCUS.... as Hos said. For the record I was able to get every players autograph of those Superbowl winning teams with the exception of Charles Haley and Emmit Smith.

bsheeern

Reaction score
speedkilz88;3980989 said:
That was head coach George Seifert's car.
Allegedly........It's been reported it was Tim Harris's car then reported it was Seifert's and so on. Haley denied the whole thing in his book. He also allegedly did #2 on a coaches desk.......

Bottom line is Guys were scared of him and when he spoke they listened. His personality worked for his time here in Big D. It was obviously worn out in SF. More than anything he brought a bunch of Sacks and a Nasty attitude that great defenses need.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
If we get three more championships because Romo and crew drive their motorcycles into Randy White's Bar and get knocked out by the Manster, then I am all for it.

bsheeern

Reaction score
Here's a story that never gets old. The Randy White/Charles Haley night. This Comes from Jody Dean that was there this particular night.

"To Randy. As he'll admit, he used to fight ANYBODY back when he was drinking. Haley came into Randy's place off Stemmons one night drunker that Cooter Brown. Rode his new Harley right through the front door. Jerry Jones begged Randy not to let him have any more booze. Randy went over to Charles and tried to ask nicely, but Haley stuck a finger in Randy's chest. Next thing we knew, Haley was on his back - out cold. They loaded Charles in a cab with a couple of Cowboys front office people, and sent him home - still unconscious. The best part was watching Randy and Mark Tunei pick that bike up and throw it in the back of a pick-up truck - and I mean THROW it. Not sure where they took it, but Haley never rode it again that I know of.

Charles did have some serious clinical issues - and as fierce as he was on the field, he always was something of a chicken---- off it. Last time I saw him he was on meds, and had ballooned up to about 350lbs."

CoCo

Reaction score
Agree with Hos. There is no formula. Though teams routinely try to emulate those that have had success.

Here's a slightly different angle that perhaps puts the "formula thinking" back into perspective.

There is a Super Bowl champion every single year no matter how disciplined, focused, healthly, injured, fierce or soft the teams may be. And there is only 1 regardless of how many teams execute the formula to perfection.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
You have to have a QB. You have to have the overall talent and speed. You have to have played together for awhile.

But most of all winning is refusing to lose.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;3980986 said:
Joe, I hate to tell you this, but there is no magical formula to winning football. You never know what will focus a team.

The death of a player or coach, or hell in the case of the Bengals Zimmer's wife.

It could be a loss that pisses people off, or an article some media hack writes.

It could be something the other team said or did.

It could be trying to keep a coach from being fired or being inspired by the new guy hired.

Jimmy Johnson didn't have a magic formula. Tom Landry didn't. No coach in History has.

I have my own personal agendas on what I think it takes to win, but even there I will tell you that there is no such thing as a sure thing. I think the number one ingredient is a top QB, but I can easily show you where Dan Fouts, Warren Moon, and Dan Marino fit that description and never won it all. I can show you where Peyton Manning should have several of them by now but doesn't.

Football cannot be explained no matter how hard people try. For example, no one can explain to me why the Patriots lost the Super Bowl their undefeated season and have not won a post season game since then. Last year they were 14-2 and lost to a Jets team that just 6 weeks prior they had throttled 45-3 in the same stadium they lost to them.

As it stands right now that great team with an MVP QB has a 3 game losing streak in the post season.

No one can explain to me why the 1970's Steelers could dominate 4 out of 6 years, have an amazing defense in between 2 Super Bowl runs and look like nothing special the next year.

No one can explain to me how the Saints go from dominant champion to wildcard in 1 year.

It's football. The ball is shaped funny, it bounces funny, and 45 guys have to be on the same page more often than the other team or the best talent in the world takes you nowhere.

Charles Haley was a proven winner. He had 2 Super Bowl rings. When he talked guys listened, even if part of the time he was out of his mind.

thanks buddy, i understant that, its always something different, from maybe one player they get in draft or like in 95 when cowboys got deion sanders

to extra pratices and the little things like herb adderly told bob lily, renfro, jordan etc...

just was curious exactly what aikman thought and said, about we didnt know what it really took till haley got here

maybe thats one super question a fan can ask troy aikman to be specific on what he meant by that remark in details

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
bsheeern;3981027 said:
Here's a story that never gets old. The Randy White/Charles Haley night. This Comes from Jody Dean that was there this particular night.

"To Randy. As he'll admit, he used to fight ANYBODY back when he was drinking. Haley came into Randy's place off Stemmons one night drunker that Cooter Brown. Rode his new Harley right through the front door. Jerry Jones begged Randy not to let him have any more booze. Randy went over to Charles and tried to ask nicely, but Haley stuck a finger in Randy's chest. Next thing we knew, Haley was on his back - out cold. They loaded Charles in a cab with a couple of Cowboys front office people, and sent him home - still unconscious. The best part was watching Randy and Mark Tunei pick that bike up and throw it in the back of a pick-up truck - and I mean THROW it. Not sure where they took it, but Haley never rode it again that I know of.

Charles did have some serious clinical issues - and as fierce as he was on the field, he always was something of a chicken---- off it. Last time I saw him he was on meds, and had ballooned up to about 350lbs."

i had heard there was a fight, but i didnt know randy put haley on his back, and didnt know tuneii and randy threw the bike in back of a truck,

cool, thanks for the info buddy :bow:

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3981046 said:
thanks buddy, i understant that, its always something different, from maybe one player they get in draft or like in 95 when cowboys got deion sanders

to extra pratices and the little things like herb adderly told bob lily, renfro, jordan etc...

just was curious exactly what aikman thought and said, about we didnt know what it really took till haley got here

maybe thats one super question a fan can ask troy aikman to be specific on what he meant by that remark in details
Haley got everyone playing golf.

:grin:

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I would guess attitude but more importantly the how to win a championship. Having had experience at it that the Cowboys teams of that time didn't have.

Sarge

Red, White and Brew...
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Haley added fear and attitude. In a strange way, leadership. He broguht an intensity to the defensive side of the ball, much like Irvin did for the offensive side and he brought it from Day One. You didn't mess with Charles, whether it be a teammate or an opposing player.

I miss Charles and what he brought to the game, and this team. Charles could barely walk towards the end of his career (back), but he was out there, playing, and not complaining.

JakeCamp12

Reaction score
Would have loved to see Haley at end and Randy White at tackle on the same line...now that would have been a frightening site for any offensive line and QB...:laugh2:

Reaction score
Well considering Haley already had two Superbowl titles before coming to the Cowboys I'm assuming they learned what it takes to be a champion from him.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
cowboyjoe;3980956 said:
Understand that, because Haley was that and more. But I thought if would be beneficial to this team, if anyone knows exactly what Aikman said in relation to we didnt realize what it took till haley got here.

A winning attitude. Know you are good and play like it. He won before and knew how to get others motivated in believing inthemselves as winners.
Be positive, keep striving for your goals.

And he led by example. 100% every play. Don't stop until the QB is dead. :) type attitude.