Troy Aikman said we didnt realize what it took till Haley got here, what was it?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
bsheeern;3980977 said:
Peeing on a teammates car with the top open. True story........
Oh yeah how to pee during film and meetings without leaving your chair.

So basically he taught the guys how to urinate from practically anywhere.

:lmao2:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
bsheeern;3981027 said:
Here's a story that never gets old. The Randy White/Charles Haley night. This Comes from Jody Dean that was there this particular night.

"To Randy. As he'll admit, he used to fight ANYBODY back when he was drinking. Haley came into Randy's place off Stemmons one night drunker that Cooter Brown. Rode his new Harley right through the front door. Jerry Jones begged Randy not to let him have any more booze. Randy went over to Charles and tried to ask nicely, but Haley stuck a finger in Randy's chest. Next thing we knew, Haley was on his back - out cold. They loaded Charles in a cab with a couple of Cowboys front office people, and sent him home - still unconscious. The best part was watching Randy and Mark Tunei pick that bike up and throw it in the back of a pick-up truck - and I mean THROW it. Not sure where they took it, but Haley never rode it again that I know of.

Charles did have some serious clinical issues - and as fierce as he was on the field , he always was something of a chicken---- off it. Last time I saw him he was on meds, and had ballooned up to about 350lbs."

I heard somewhere that Charles Haley was scared of James Washington. I never could get the reason why he was so petrified of him. Was it Washington's Compton roots or sumtin?

trueblue1687

Reaction score
The thing Haley brought that Aikman spoke of (on several occasions, I might add), was credibility and, as previously mentioned, raw, uncensored (almost ********) feedback, backlash, or whatever you wanna call it. Nobody on that team knew what it took to win Championships. He had done it before, and was a key part in doing so, albeit a headcase. Wish we had another Haley.

AMERICAS_FAN

Reaction score
tyke1doe;3981466 said:
I heard somewhere that Charles Haley was scared of James Washington. I never could get the reason why he was so petrified of him. Was it Washington's Compton roots or sumtin?

James Washington's nickname on the team was "Drive-By", as in drive-by shooting. I don't know if it was because of his quickness to the ball and hard hitting ability when he needed to lay down the wood, or if it also had to do with somethiong non-football related. Anyway, just throwing that out there.

STSINAZ

Reaction score
Mash;3980960 said:
would be interesting in finding out what Aikman exactly meant by that.

If it was "focus" ...you would think the great Jimmy Johnson would of kept care of that. ;)

I guess with the experience Haley had with the championships he won in SF...he passed on to the young cowboys team.

we need a haley on this team...a vet with drive and a toughness that setshim apart from the rest...he must be in his prime too...none of this keith brooking stuff....and i need him to be on defense, thats the player we need to get!

CCBoy

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3981046 said:
thanks buddy, i understant that, its always something different, from maybe one player they get in draft or like in 95 when cowboys got deion sanders

to extra pratices and the little things like herb adderly told bob lily, renfro, jordan etc...

just was curious exactly what aikman thought and said, about we didnt know what it really took till haley got here

maybe thats one super question a fan can ask troy aikman to be specific on what he meant by that remark in details

Hos actually hit upon it twice to you...his description in length was good. His first response, focus, did say it all. What ever the motivation individually, it all has to be maintained once on the carpet.

What Haley brought, was a constant focus each and every game. Not only that, but he was driven to execute no matter the opponent. He did that. When one performs at that level, and is a constant force against any and all opponents, that does start to rub off on the rest of the team. The desire to achieve and perform at that level motivates the rest of the team, and leadership is born through motivation of all players. That returns to a team level of just what Hos stated...focus.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
CCBoy;3981615 said:
Hos actually hit upon it twice to you...his description in length was good. His first response, focus, did say it all. What ever the motivation individually, it all has to be maintained once on the carpet.

What Haley brought, was a constant focus each and every game. Not only that, but he was driven to execute no matter the opponent. He did that. When one performs at that level, and is a constant force against any and all opponents, that does start to rub off on the rest of the team. The desire to achieve and perform at that level motivates the rest of the team, and leadership is born through motivation of all players. That returns to a team level of just what Hos stated...focus.

thanks buddy :cool:

tyke1doe

Reaction score
AMERICAS_FAN;3981607 said:
James Washington's nickname on the team was "Drive-By", as in drive-by shooting. I don't know if it was because of his quickness to the ball and hard hitting ability when he needed to lay down the wood, or if it also had to do with somethiong non-football related. Anyway, just throwing that out there.

Thanks for the info.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AMERICAS_FAN;3981607 said:

I think because he was from Compton, if I remember right.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
He brought attitude to the field and he brought swag and a fearless and relentless demeanor, focus and the big bully factor. It also helped that he was a dominant pass rusher.

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Troy_Aikman Troy Aikman
Charles made us a legit contender. Great Player!"@David_Oke: You said the Cowboys didn't have "it" until Charles Haley came, what was "it"?"

QT

Reaction score
When traded to Dallas, Haley said, "Aikman couldn't hold Montana's jock strap." Was it a jock strap?

superpunk

Reaction score
Galian Beast;3982174 said:
Troy_Aikman Troy Aikman
Charles made us a legit contender. Great Player!"@David_Oke: You said the Cowboys didn't have "it" until Charles Haley came, what was "it"?"

lol that's not an answer.