Troy Aikman Show 1/18 Ticket - Agrees w keeping Mac, Strange vibe at game, Troy planned be NFC Champ

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
For you fellow Aikman fans, if you didn't check this out, @Zordon posted this interview with SAS This Week. That was his first reaction and this is his first response since Coach Mac announced back. For you youngins, this Twitter feed showed why Aikman was such a demanding leader and helped produce 3 Super Bowls.

Troy-Aikman-RT.jpg

One of Aikman's better shows. A lot of great insight. As always, this is quick snapshot, if you want full info, please click link: https://www.theticket.com/2016/06/15/podcasts/
  • Nobody saw this type of loss coming. But going into game, and we talked about it on last week's show, Matt LaFleur is REALLY good. I've seen games with his missing players, and he always comes up with gameplans that give them a chance. I thought flood gates would eventually open up in 2nd half and GB wouldn't sustain it, but we know what happened.
  • I've said last few years Dallas has amazing regular seasons, put themselves in great conditions, but never play play best football when games matter most. Has gone on a while no matter who QB or Coach is. Has to be maddening.
  • Jerry's Decision - not surprised. Prior to that game everyone would have said Wow, what an amazing year. Hiccups? Sure. But Dak has had his best year. No lost games at home. Change in Offensive play calling. Not easy to win 12 games either and they have several years. One bad game. Does it warrant firing someone? I'm not sure it does.
  • Where do you go? Bill Belichick, or this guy? When Jason Garrett was let go, and Mike hired, he had won the Super Bowl before, knew what it takes to get them over the top. So whomever they hire now, it's the same premise. No guarantees.
  • It was like this too when I was playing. Let's look at Houston as an example. Amazing year. But next year their goal has to be bigger. Go to the Super Bowl. So credit to Dallas organization that it's always the standard. There was a time when it probably shouldn't have been standard for Dallas, but Jerry being the ultimate salesman....
  • I think Bill Belichick and Jerry would work. For those who don't think it will work probably don't know Jerry that well. He made it work with Parcells. Maybe different motivations, but I don't think Jerry gave up as much to lure Parcells as people thought. What he did give up was he wasn't as visible with media during week or after games. But I don't think he would have to give that up with Belichick. Could probably dictate the terms. Not to take away from Bill Belichick, but I think he has 2 motivations: he wants the record, and he wants to win a SB without Tom Brady. And I think he could accomplish both in Dallas. This team is plug n play. QB, Roster, ready. Compared to other teams he has interviewed, this one would be a no brainer for Belichick.
  • (Question from Ticket was: Jerry is a great businessman, but that doesn't always translate to great football manager, does it?) No, it doesn't. I have enormous respect for Jerry as a businessman. Look... I feel like I was in the minority following this game. Across the country, people said they HAVE to clean the house! They had a great year. Led league in scoring. People say "well, they didn't show up against San Francisco." EVERY team has games like that. San Francisco had games like that! So to do this well, but just flop in the postseason, I don't know. If it was just one time it would be different. There is something, but I don't know if I have the answer.
  • (Covered Bob Sturm's analysis of Dak choking in first half of postseason games) Yes, it can be concerning. If you're going to win a Super Bowl, the QB has to be a reason why. I heard Dak's comment after the game about his mind racing or something to that effect... I know in playoff atmospheres, especially on road... There are games that are comfortable right from start, and there are others where things feel like they're running 1,000 mph. That's normal. I always trusted that eventually the game would slow down. That's not what they've been able to do. Now is there more to that and Dak? I can't answer. What was strange to me, and they brought up in broadcast, were some of conversations with CeeDee. There was more to it. I went back and rewatched. There were some concepts I didn't like. The Pick 6, I used to go round and round with Chan Gailey on that one concept. If I were QB, it wouldn't be in the offense. They ran it in SF too and had interception. It was the 3 slants all at same depth. I would always tell Chan this was one of those plays that only looks good on whiteboard, but play QB and tell me how it works. If all 3 guys run the same route, there is no separation. I thought Cowboys would learn after it backfired in SF, but they didn't.
  • Across the board, it seemed like there was a body language that they didn't realize it was a Playoff game. Only players can speak to it. Erin Andrews texted me right before game and told me atmosphere here is really strange. Enthusiastic crowd, but energy in building was nervousness. Way the players reacted, I thought maybe there was truth to that.
  • You can't take these wins for granted. 25% roster will change. Have to put in new chemistry. There was optimism this year, good start, but now they're going to have to answer all these questions throughout offseason again! They won't be able to take any satisfaction in normal wins. Everyone says it doesn't matter until they get somewhere in the postseason but it's how I felt too. If you win 12 games and lose first round, you shouldn't feel any better than New England, Chicago, etc feels. So you won 9 more games, but what did it get you, just one more time to go out! It's a miserable feeling when you don't win a game in the postseason. I really thought it was their year. I didn't book a vacation. My last game is Saturday. But at time I thought Cowboys would be playing NFC Championship in SF so I had planned on going there and being there. Like other Cowboys fans, I'm scrambling. Roger was there for me at the coin toss, he was one of first guys I saw when we knew we were going to win and go to Super Bowl, and I wanted to be there for them.
  • I remember when we were going to play SF and they were talking about The Catch and past failures. No one in our locker room cared. I know no one in their locker room cares either. Now, I understood Legacy and History, and the Standard. The team doesn't want to do it because of me and Roger, they want to do it for themselves and create their legacy. The carryover is Jerry of course. I think they feel the importance because of Jerry. And they should. What I admire about Dak is he doesn't shy away from the history of the Cowboys and the standard for playing QB. A lot of guys don't do that. He is the first one I've met who does.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Few things from this:
  • I think Dak has turned it into a mental block. Notice how he mentions Dak talks about the history and legacy. Most players could care less about past glory. I think Dak has done it to himself.
  • Very weird how Erin Andrews also mentioned the energy block with the fans at game. It's like all of us are so on edge now and expect something, that it has changed it for the team. And yes, I think Jerry has done it to himself with his marketing. Most valuable Pro Sports team every year, and wants it to have a record to match, but it keeps getting worse and worse. I remember Aikman's last years, and Jerry would always hype the team up to be SB ready even though it was obvious we didn't have jack squat on the roster.
  • The interception with the 3 slants. There was debate here on this. I believe some said Kurt Warner said it was receivers faults, not Dak's fault. Aikman clarifies his point. He just thinks it's a bad play to call and not QB friendly. No mistakes, just a hard play for a QB. The offensive cohesiveness this year is not as kosher as we're led to believe. Still a lot of dissent, and the CeeDee/Dak talks were from that.
  • Great from Aikman to want to be there for the Boys if they were at NFC Championship. I hear this a lot on Aikman's shows. All respect to Captain America, but Aikman remembers everything Staubach did for him, and is looking to pay it forward with future Dallas QBs.

stiletto

Reaction score
It's 100% mental with Dak. He's not a bad football player, the lights are just too bright come playoff time. Maybe we need a relief QB? Like Dak pitches the regular season and the closer Rush or whoever pitches in the playoffs. Can't be any worse come. The result will be the same, might as well try someone else if at all possible.

Staubacher

Reaction score
For you fellow Aikman fans, if you didn't check this out, @Zordon posted this interview with SAS This Week. That was his first reaction and this is his first response since Coach Mac announced back. For you youngins, this Twitter feed showed why Aikman was such a demanding leader and helped produce 3 Super Bowls.

Troy-Aikman-RT.jpg

One of Aikman's better shows. A lot of great insight. As always, this is quick snapshot, if you want full info, please click link: https://www.theticket.com/2016/06/15/podcasts/
  • Nobody saw this type of loss coming. But going into game, and we talked about it on last week's show, Matt LaFleur is REALLY good. I've seen games with his missing players, and he always comes up with gameplans that give them a chance. I thought flood gates would eventually open up in 2nd half and GB wouldn't sustain it, but we know what happened.
  • I've said last few years Dallas has amazing regular seasons, put themselves in great conditions, but never play play best football when games matter most. Has gone on a while no matter who QB or Coach is. Has to be maddening.
  • Jerry's Decision - not surprised. Prior to that game everyone would have said Wow, what an amazing year. Hiccups? Sure. But Dak has had his best year. No lost games at home. Change in Offensive play calling. Not easy to win 12 games either and they have several years. One bad game. Does it warrant firing someone? I'm not sure it does.
  • Where do you go? Bill Belichick, or this guy? When Jason Garrett was let go, and Mike hired, he had won the Super Bowl before, knew what it takes to get them over the top. So whomever they hire now, it's the same premise. No guarantees.
  • It was like this too when I was playing. Let's look at Houston as an example. Amazing year. But next year their goal has to be bigger. Go to the Super Bowl. So credit to Dallas organization that it's always the standard. There was a time when it probably shouldn't have been standard for Dallas, but Jerry being the ultimate salesman....
  • I think Bill Belichick and Jerry would work. For those who don't think it will work probably don't know Jerry that well. He made it work with Parcells. Maybe different motivations, but I don't think Jerry gave up as much to lure Parcells as people thought. What he did give up was he wasn't as visible with media during week or after games. But I don't think he would have to give that up with Belichick. Could probably dictate the terms. Not to take away from Bill Belichick, but I think he has 2 motivations: he wants the record, and he wants to win a SB without Tom Brady. And I think he could accomplish both in Dallas. This team is plug n play. QB, Roster, ready. Compared to other teams he has interviewed, this one would be a no brainer for Belichick.
  • (Question from Ticket was: Jerry is a great businessman, but that doesn't always translate to great football manager, does it?) No, it doesn't. I have enormous respect for Jerry as a businessman. Look... I feel like I was in the minority following this game. Across the country, people said they HAVE to clean the house! They had a great year. Led league in scoring. People say "well, they didn't show up against San Francisco." EVERY team has games like that. San Francisco had games like that! So to do this well, but just flop in the postseason, I don't know. If it was just one time it would be different. There is something, but I don't know if I have the answer.
  • (Covered Bob Sturm's analysis of Dak choking in first half of postseason games) Yes, it can be concerning. If you're going to win a Super Bowl, the QB has to be a reason why. I heard Dak's comment after the game about his mind racing or something to that effect... I know in playoff atmospheres, especially on road... There are games that are comfortable right from start, and there are others where things feel like they're running 1,000 mph. That's normal. I always trusted that eventually the game would slow down. That's not what they've been able to do. Now is there more to that and Dak? I can't answer. What was strange to me, and they brought up in broadcast, were some of conversations with CeeDee. There was more to it. I went back and rewatched. There were some concepts I didn't like. The Pick 6, I used to go round and round with Chan Gailey on that one concept. If I were QB, it wouldn't be in the offense. They ran it in SF too and had interception. It was the 3 slants all at same depth. I would always tell Chan this was one of those plays that only looks good on whiteboard, but play QB and tell me how it works. If all 3 guys run the same route, there is no separation. I thought Cowboys would learn after it backfired in SF, but they didn't.
  • Across the board, it seemed like there was a body language that they didn't realize it was a Playoff game. Only players can speak to it. Erin Andrews texted me right before game and told me atmosphere here is really strange. Enthusiastic crowd, but energy in building was nervousness. Way the players reacted, I thought maybe there was truth to that.
  • You can't take these wins for granted. 25% roster will change. Have to put in new chemistry. There was optimism this year, good start, but now they're going to have to answer all these questions throughout offseason again! They won't be able to take any satisfaction in normal wins. Everyone says it doesn't matter until they get somewhere in the postseason but it's how I felt too. If you win 12 games and lose first round, you shouldn't feel any better than New England, Chicago, etc feels. So you won 9 more games, but what did it get you, just one more time to go out! It's a miserable feeling when you don't win a game in the postseason. I really thought it was their year. I didn't book a vacation. My last game is Saturday. But at time I thought Cowboys would be playing NFC Championship in SF so I had planned on going there and being there. Like other Cowboys fans, I'm scrambling. Roger was there for me at the coin toss, he was one of first guys I saw when we knew we were going to win and go to Super Bowl, and I wanted to be there for them.
  • I remember when we were going to play SF and they were talking about The Catch and past failures. No one in our locker room cared. I know no one in their locker room cares either. Now, I understood Legacy and History, and the Standard. The team doesn't want to do it because of me and Roger, they want to do it for themselves and create their legacy. The carryover is Jerry of course. I think they feel the importance because of Jerry. And they should. What I admire about Dak is he doesn't shy away from the history of the Cowboys and the standard for playing QB. A lot of guys don't do that. He is the first one I've met who does.
Aikman is smoking too much grass. One bad game? They got demolished several times this year.

StylisticS

Reaction score
I bet the pressure for the Cowboys and that it was repeatedly said that this is the best chance they have had in nearly 25 years to get to a conference title led to that nervousness that Erin Andrew was discussing. Not only were the fans in the stadium nervous, the entire fanbase around the country was nervous. Did we truly trust this team?

stilltheguru

Reaction score
Nervousness comes from not having Dawgs. It wasn't about lights being bright. Playoffs is where the fighters show up. You can't show me one fighter on defense. And dak needs a run game. It's not rocket science

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Nervousness comes from not having Dawgs. It wasn't about lights being bright. Playoffs is where the fighters show up. You can't show me one fighter on defense. And dak needs a run game. It's not rocket science
If we have a shot at having a non-choking QB, run game would also help him get the yips out. Wouldn't be the first QB who needed it to calm the game down.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Aikman is smoking too much grass. One bad game? They got demolished several times this year.
He mentioned it. See posts. His point was that other teams had bad games too. SF had a stinker spell.

I'm inclined to agree on that. A lot of parity, and everyone except for Ravens this year seemed to have some struggles somewhere.

My point was we should have realized when we struggled so late in the season with Buffalo, it wasn't going to be fixed. That was the season right there. Started strong with PHI and SEA, and then lost it with BUF and MIA, and almost DET.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
It's 100% mental with Dak. He's not a bad football player, the lights are just too bright come playoff time. Maybe we need a relief QB? Like Dak pitches the regular season and the closer Rush or whoever pitches in the playoffs. Can't be any worse come. The result will be the same, might as well try someone else if at all possible.
LOL A relief QB. That famous 'deer in the headlight' look he gets teased about on the forums, that's Dak's thoughts going 1,000 mph realizing he has a shot to have a Troy Aikman legacy and is about to blow it and leave it with a Tony Romo legacy.

ShortRound

Reaction score
Yeah the Erin Andrews comment about the teams mood pre-game mood being odd was strange. I heard most of this on my way into work… Maybe something will come out later? Anyhoo thank you for the recap.

leicafan

Reaction score
From the report, it looks like the pressure of getting deep in playoff caught up with Cowboys players. Playoff is one and done. They experienced that before. Unfortunately, Cowboys players apparently fold under the trmendous pressure from all the fans, medias, and the owners. High expectation is there. But they are not prepared mentally. Skill and Talent are there but the mind set is the issue.

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
Yeah the Erin Andrews comment about the teams mood pre-game mood being odd was strange. I heard most of this on my way into work… Maybe something will come out later? Anyhoo thank you for the recap.
Thanks for clarifying. I dont think i did a great job recapping that part, probably because I was in middle of ***?? Forgot to put the part where I believe Aikman wonders why they didn't feel like they had playoff intensity.

People posted the shots of Micah coming in with the Waterboy jersey, and some other goofy stuff. I thought at the time good, they're trying to keep it light. The old Joe Montana sees Jon Candy in the crowd moment. But maybe we need something different?

VaqueroTD

Reaction score
From the report, it looks like the pressure of getting deep in playoff caught up with Cowboys players. Playoff is one and done. They experienced that before. Unfortunately, Cowboys players apparently fold under the trmendous pressure from all the fans, medias, and the owners. High expectation is there. But they are not prepared mentally. Skill and Talent are there but the mind set is the issue.
Very worried it's becoming a self-fulfilling prophecy. And the more they keep the band together the worse it will be. They're all just going to tense up at once and think "here we go again..."

They need some more Stephon Gillmores in free agency. Veterans that have seen it all, know what it's like to win the big games.

Even better, go for size and toughness. Start in free agency! Chris Jones, Mike Evans, Antoine Winfield Jr, Travis Henry, Trent Brown.. all FAs, mostly all much bigger tougher athletes, and almost all with SB experience! Dawgs!

I don't know how much spending money they can squeeze out of the cap, but they need to go hard on FA vets to make some changes. It won't happen with their usual rookies, even if we get lucky and have a great draft again.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Not the first time. Remember last season McCarthy said they were anxious before the San Fran game. This isn’t new. And the fact it’s happened before and hasn’t been fixed or corrected is directly on coaching. Bring in a freaking therapist if you need to, to make sure these guys are loose come post season.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Few things from this:
  • I think Dak has turned it into a mental block. Notice how he mentions Dak talks about the history and legacy. Most players could care less about past glory. I think Dak has done it to himself.
  • Very weird how Erin Andrews also mentioned the energy block with the fans at game. It's like all of us are so on edge now and expect something, that it has changed it for the team. And yes, I think Jerry has done it to himself with his marketing. Most valuable Pro Sports team every year, and wants it to have a record to match, but it keeps getting worse and worse. I remember Aikman's last years, and Jerry would always hype the team up to be SB ready even though it was obvious we didn't have jack squat on the roster.
  • The interception with the 3 slants. There was debate here on this. I believe some said Kurt Warner said it was receivers faults, not Dak's fault. Aikman clarifies his point. He just thinks it's a bad play to call and not QB friendly. No mistakes, just a hard play for a QB. The offensive cohesiveness this year is not as kosher as we're led to believe. Still a lot of dissent, and the CeeDee/Dak talks were from that.
  • Great from Aikman to want to be there for the Boys if they were at NFC Championship. I hear this a lot on Aikman's shows. All respect to Captain America, but Aikman remembers everything Staubach did for him, and is looking to pay it forward with future Dallas QBs.
Its always someone elses fault but #4. Now the ints are the receivers fault and the play calling fault, never lands on 4. Same with the 9ers game right. Same with buffalo, same with Den last year. Never ends, never gonna end. 5-7 more years of this trash throwing the ball. Great, can't wait. Ill be 50 when I finally get another chance at seeing a legit team.