Troy Aikman: Yards are not what we should be looking at

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
Absolutely. He craves attention and credence. No higher thinking from his side. Whenever anyone responds, he gets his little numnums all wadded and throws his anti-Dak posts. You can't have any sort of discourse w/ him.
Well won't disagree there with you.

kskboys

Reaction score
It does when you put things in context. It took Fitzpatrick 15 years to get to where Aikman was in 5 less years. I get your point. Its to devalue the stat of passing yards. I think you just have to put things in context when you bring up passing yards.
The guy I was responding to understood what I was saying. Didn't expect to have to break it down, thought it was obvious.

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Because posters keep responding to him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ksk (ex-MOD old Boys forum and would boot anyone if they didn't love Dak) is right why are you responding to me.
There are many members here who have and share my doubts about Lemon Dak.
HF.....as we are many now and the Kool-Aid you're serving isn't being consumed anymore!!!:hammer:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
What Troy was probably saying is that we should not be looking at yards alone. There is no single stat that you can point to to tell you the entire story of how a QB is playing. That's why they came up with QBR, which if I'm not mistaken Troy had a part in helping to create. QBR encompasses everything the QB does to help the team win.. passing yards, passing TDs, missed throws, drops of catchable passes, sacks avoided. All of it. Dak has been top 10 in QBR every year he has been in the league I believe. He currently sits at #9 this season. I fully expect him to finish the season in the top 5.

Ken

Reaction score
Only because Dallas has played two horrific defenses and has a horrific defense itself. Thus, high-scoring games with tons of possessions with almost 60 pass attempts a game.

Only takes 7 yards per attempt with that many throws. Most quarterbacks only throw 30-40 times a game.
18 ALL of 2019.

3 by Dak.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score
I'm curious to see how he holds up once the pieces start leaving because of his salary. Tom Brady's single best decision was to sign for a lower salary to keep a competitive team around him. That's what got him those titles. Had he not done that he would have won a single titles and been like Rodgers.
Everything about Mahomes is excellent, even his team friendly contract.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Gimme your number on what you think he's worth...Years and guarantee. No exaggeration please.
My answer will be automatically scrutinized due to my personal philosophy about professional athletes' compensation, which runs counter to market driven economics. My (no one else's, just my own) opinion is that no professional, whether it is an athlete or not, 'worth' is above the mid-tens of millions per year but they can secure and accumulate significant wealth.

Additionally, I believe positions (football-related in this instance) should be tiered. I will use quarterback (all NFL quarterbacks, no exception) as a one-position example to answer your request:

Franchise quarterbacks: $32 million per year/4 years/$10 million guaranteed
Veteran backup quarterbacks: $10 million per year/2 years/$5 million guaranteed
Rookie quarterbacks: $5 million per year/3 years/$2.5 million guaranteed

My definition of a franchise quarterback is an organization's firm commitment in placing its near term and likely long-term future in the hands of the offense's leader. As I am on record stating many MANY times on this site, Jerry Jones committed completely to Dak Prescott as his franchise quarterback no later than late October 2016. Prescott completed his rookie contract. I had said many times here since early 2017 that his veteran contract was simply an inevitable formality in my book. It is Jerry Jones after all, lol.

The above will have always been and shall be my opinion weighed by what I consider is generational changing wealth. Now, I will answer your inquiry in the way I believe you are anticipating:

Based upon what I expect of the market: I believe Prescott will eventually land (at minimum) a contract with terms of $39.5 million per year/4 years/$80 million guaranteed. Despite what naysayers recite, the contracts of in demand professional athletes generally increase in monetary value over their predecessors. Despite the self-performance merits imposed by outside observers. Despite the objections of 'those who know better'.

Ken

Reaction score
So? Did they win those games? We're they against bottom 5 defenses?

When you throw it 60 times, you'd better have 400 yards.

Passing yards mean nothing.

3 of the top 4 passers this weekend lost.

Enjoy your stats.
I do enjoy them.

When your running game is inept, like ours was last week, you have to move the ball and score somehow.

But keep downplaying throwing for 450+ in consecutive weeks. :facepalm:

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
Only because Dallas has played two horrific defenses and has a horrific defense itself. Thus, high-scoring games with tons of possessions with almost 60 pass attempts a game.

Only takes 7 yards per attempt with that many throws. Most quarterbacks only throw 30-40 times a game.
exactly

JBond

Reaction score
The age of 6-8 great QBs in the league are gone. Once Brees, Brady, Rothlisberger, and Rodgers retires there is one truly Great in Wilson, and one almost there and then there is the rest.
Ummmmmm........ Mahomes. You look like a moron. Hope you improve your posts.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
Tell that to the Dak slobberers who think he should be paid 800 million a year based solely on stats.
I thought stats were important back in Romo’s day. He couldn’t win in Dallas, but put up great stats. I thought that was enough....it is for the Jones’s

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Ummmmmm........ Mahomes. You look like a moron. Hope you improve your posts.
It also bears stating that neither Brady nor Brees are actually great anymore.. Maybe not even Ruthlessraper. They're good but declining. They both may suck by year's end because Father Time yields to no man. Both may be suffering from terminal noodle arm by early December.

Batman1980

Reaction score
Tell that to the Dak slobberers who think he should be paid 800 million a year based solely on stats.

Stats seem to be how the Elliott defenders defend his ridiculous contract despite his inability to produce like a $15 million a year runningback.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Today on The Ticket.

"NFL is now like the NBA. It doesn't matter what you do all game, it comes down to the last 5 minutes."

"400 yards is offense is not a a big deal anymore. Throwing for 400 yards isn't that hard to do."

True.

Parcells golden rule was for every about 100 yards , 7 points need to be scored . I think that will still apply in todays games , if an offense is efficient and move the ball and converts red zone opportunities most of the time , the score would be closer to that number. Of course that is without turnovers, if you have turnovers ( & other teams convert on those ) you need to score more . I think the seattle game is a perfect example ,
460 yards of offense - 31 points .
but 2 turnovers ( discounting the hail mary ) , meaning we need another 10 points .

blueblood70

Reaction score
The age of 6-8 great QBs in the league are gone. Once Brees, Brady, Rothlisberger, and Rodgers retires there is one truly Great in Wilson, and one almost there and then there is the rest.
Umm Mahomes says hello are you serious LOL