Troy Aikman: Yards are not what we should be looking at

Swagger

Reaction score
Yep, because Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Rivers are in a steep downturn. I still think Stafford has been a victim of circumstance, as is Ryan to a degree.

Burrow looks very promising if he can survive his offensive line, and Lamar Jackson is uniquely talented and might get there. We'll see if Murray, Tua, Mayfield, Locke, Watson, or Herbert can get there. Darnold may be too mentally damaged from playing in that disaster, and I think Dak, Watson, Tannehill, Allen, Carr, Garapollo, and Cousins, are what they are. Good, but flawed quarterbacks.
I agree with all of the above. I will add that Jackson still needs to improve upon his accuracy - he missed a couple of important throws versus the Chiefs that he needs to be making and he has had a similar issue the past few seasons. But he has such unique ability with his legs that makes him of star value. Josh Allen is also on an upward curve now that he finally has some sort of supporting cast around him on the offense.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
The age of 6-8 great QBs in the league are gone. Once Brees, Brady, Rothlisberger, and Rodgers retires there is one truly Great in Wilson, and one almost there and then there is the rest.

Did you watch Mahomes last night or anytime

edit: just saw you got this a lot. He is great

Kevinicus

Reaction score
That wasn't his point.

He's saying that virtually every game tightens up in the end these days. It didn't used to be that way. If a team got you down 27-3 back in the 90s, they'd smother you to death. You would rather sniff a comeback, and it was a HUGE deal if you did.

Nowdays, comebacks are more common than not. The Rams went from down 28-3 to up 31-30. Happens almost every game it seems these days.

The rules encourage comebacks, and passing attacks today are designed to score quickly against today's rickety and undisciplined defenses.

Sure the rules encourage the passing game and quick scoring...but there's nothing in those rules that prevents the team with the lead from continuing to score.

It may not have been his point, but I cringe when people use that kind of phrasing.

foofighters

Reaction score
The age of 6-8 great QBs in the league are gone. Once Brees, Brady, Rothlisberger, and Rodgers retires there is one truly Great in Wilson, and one almost there and then there is the rest.
Mahomes is looking right at you...

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Yep, because Brady, Brees, Roethlisberger, and Rivers are in a steep downturn. I still think Stafford has been a victim of circumstance, as is Ryan to a degree.

Burrow looks very promising if he can survive his offensive line, and Lamar Jackson is uniquely talented and might get there. We'll see if Murray, Tua, Mayfield, Locke, Watson, or Herbert can get there. Darnold may be too mentally damaged from playing in that disaster, and I think Dak, Watson, Tannehill, Allen, Carr, Garapollo, and Cousins, are what they are. Good, but flawed quarterbacks.
Pretty well accessed.

Josh Allen’s stock is rising. Buffalo appears a solid contender too. And I’d throw Goff in that next best group as well. Their offense isn’t much without him.

As we saw with Jimmy G and Tannehill last year that next group can be more than serviceable in the right situation and supporting cast.

But generally the teams with the most Elite QB’s have the best opportunity to succeed.

Miller

Reaction score
Nobody thinks this. The only people who bring up yards are the ones, like you, who like to whine about him at every opportunity and then use yards against him.

Im a big Dak fan but untrue. I have seen plenty of people the last two weeks whose comments start with “How does Dak suck, he threw for 400 yrds”

Creeper

Reaction score
He is almost there. His body of work is impressive but to call him great, maybe if he repeats last year. He and Wilson are Head shoulders above the rest of the younger QBs in the league

He looks pretty great to me. Mahomes is a better Joe Montana than Joe Montana!

Miller

Reaction score
This notion that the other 55 minutes in a game doesn't matter is stupid. Troy should know better. It's a terrible cliche that gets eaten up by people who don't like to think very hard. "When it matters," is a phrase for the simple minded.

Right. Troy is an idiot??! Come on dude. He’s not being that literal. His point is you can put up Techmo stats anyday and be 25 of 55 for 400, 2 TDs and 2 TOs and the 400 won’t matter if you don’t produce late. I love how people on a board find HOF QBs thoughts as just bs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Im a big Dak fan but untrue. I have seen plenty of people the last two weeks whose comments start with “How does Dak suck, he threw for 400 yrds”
Yea , remember Jameis had a similar statistical season last year as Dak.

Passing stats are over assessed in pass happy fantasy era. They’re still important if they relate to winning but become more of talking points if not.

If Dak throws for 6,000 yards while we miss or stumble in playoffs it’s not going to carry the same weight.

These Elite QB’s are only idolized because their teams have success.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
In a single-game, sure. But the argument for his contract isn't based on that.

BigD_95

Reaction score
He is almost there. His body of work is impressive but to call him great, maybe if he repeats last year. He and Wilson are Head shoulders above the rest of the younger QBs in the league

wow that is crazy talk. He already won a Super Bowl to go along with his crazy numbers.

Sorry Mahomes is great

BigD_95

Reaction score
Today on The Ticket.

"NFL is now like the NBA. It doesn't matter what you do all game, it comes down to the last 5 minutes."

"400 yards is offense is not a a big deal anymore. Throwing for 400 yards isn't that hard to do."

True.

Mos every team comes back from big deficits. Used to be rare in Troy's day.

He added that CBA negotiations these days bring the owners more money and players less practice time, and it shows.

Wasn't criticizing Dak or quarterbacks in general, but was inferring that the league as a whole had changedichanged and is less disciplined.

no trying to hammer on Dak cause I do like him but his stats are misleading

Miller

Reaction score
In a single-game, sure. But the argument for his contract isn't based on that.

Agree with you completely on what it should mean. I’m just saying that there are people I’ve seen throwing around the yards like nothing else mattered and it makes him a top QB so pay him. But I see that he’s a bum too so there are extremes here.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Yea , remember Jameis had a similar statistical season last year as Dak.

Passing stats are over assessed in pass happy fantasy era. They’re still important if they relate to winning but become more of talking points if not.

If Dak throws for 6,000 yards while we miss or stumble in playoffs it’s not going to carry the same weight.

These Elite QB’s are only idolized because their teams have success.

Uh no.. Winston threw 30 INTS and fumbled another 4-5 times. He committed damn near TRIPLE the turnovers Dak did. All passing stats are skewed these days because of the rule changes. We are likely less than a decade from a guy throwing 60 TDs in a season and 6000 yards. If you have watched this change across eras you can place the numbers in perspective. The bottom line has always been winning and always will be. Dak needs to do whatever it takes to win whether it be throw for 500 yards and 5 TDs or throw for 200 yards and 1 TD. I don't care as long as it's a W.

Future

Intramural Legend
Reaction score
It’s Mahomes here
l
I
I
I
Wilson
I
I
Rodgers
I'm fine with saying Mahomes is better than Wilson, but no way there's that much of a gap. If you put Wilson in Andy Reid's offense, he'd be doing much the same thing. Seattle's entire offense is designed around Wilson making plays out of nothing.

Brax

Reaction score
Today on The Ticket.

"NFL is now like the NBA. It doesn't matter what you do all game, it comes down to the last 5 minutes."

"400 yards is offense is not a a big deal anymore. Throwing for 400 yards isn't that hard to do."

True.

Mos every team comes back from big deficits. Used to be rare in Troy's day.

He added that CBA negotiations these days bring the owners more money and players less practice time, and it shows.

Wasn't criticizing Dak or quarterbacks in general, but was inferring that the league as a whole had changedichanged and is less disciplined.
New NFL is joke, it is set up so fans come to see loser teams because they may pull it out if they have the ball last. Points are what matters let keep giving the O more changes and help to up the total points.

kskboys

Reaction score
Man, you gotta stop this morning drinking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only do you have Mahomey, but Allen is looking really good, Burrow is just getting started, Lawrence is looking awfully blue chippy, and Watson might be actually really good if he could get out from under JG part deux.

There's also Josh Fields, Herbert is showing some major signs, Tua is an unknown, and Garrop is not bad. Goff isn't bad. And then there's Kyler Murray and Lamar!!!

I think you're either underrated the newcomers or overrating the old timers!!!!!!!!!!!