Troy Aikman's comments on the draft last night

dsturgeon

Reaction score
The only way you tag Prescott is to try and get a first rounder for him in exchange. Tagging him and not extending him will cost you 38 million. You would have to do a bunch of restructuring and cuts.

Secondly, the "building a team" theory is flawed. You had Prescott for nothing for 4 seasons. Why didn't they build it then if that's a realistic option?

They started to build this team with the elite olineman, ball control, run game type offense, and the switch from the 3-4 to 4-3. That seemed to be the philosophy they were going for with Garret. Tony goes down and dak comes in.

Dak had an elite running game and oline when he started, and they built him an elite WR core, but injuries and so on stopped that this year.

So, here the cowboys sit
-with a horrible defense
-injured oline
-running game that is not what it was
-new coaching staff
-new philosphys
-and a qb that is set to be one of the if not the top paid persons in the league

The question is do you make that payment. Knowing that Dak went 8-8 as one of the top qb's last year, and knowing you have huge holes to fill.

It is team building and salary cap theory, and success.

When you pay dak, you are basically saying that he will win you a superbowl.

There are examples either way. Wilson won his SB on his rookie contract with a stacked team around him, they couldnt afford the stacked team, they paid wilson, and no more superbowls.

Rothlisberger won his 2 superbowls in his first 5 years with an stacked defense around him, had horrible stats, and hasnt been back. Since they paid him, he has had seasons with huge qb numbers, but it didnt equal wins.

Eli won his superbowls with an elite defense, and pretty good qb play. Then as the defense slipped, he didnt get back.

Brady won his first couple because of defense and then he stepped up and was able to carry the team. Rodgers, Breeze, and Peyton were able to carry their teams.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
They started to build this team with the elite olineman, ball control, run game type offense, and the switch from the 3-4 to 4-3. That seemed to be the philosophy they were going for with Garret. Tony goes down and dak comes in.

Dak had an elite running game and oline when he started, and they built him an elite WR core, but injuries and so on stopped that this year.

So, here the cowboys sit
-with a horrible defense
-injured oline
-new coaching staff
-new philosphys
-and a qb that is set to be one of the if not the top paid persons in the league

The question is do you make that payment. Knowing that Dak went 8-8 as one of the top qb's last year, and knowing you have huge holes to fill.

When you pay dak, you are basically saying, that he will win you a superbowl.

There are examples either way. Wilson won his SB on his rookie contract with a stacked team around him, they couldnt afford the stacked team, they paid wilson, and no more superbowls.

Rothlisberger won his 2 superbowls in his first 5 years with an stacked defense around him, had horrible stats, and hasnt been back. Since they paid him, he has had seasons with huge qb numbers, but it didnt equal wins.

Eli won his superbowls with an elite defense, and pretty good qb play. Then as the defense slipped he didnt get back.

Brady, Rodgers, Peyton were able to carry their teams.
So your plan is to not build the defense, let a franchise QB go in hopes the new guy can come right in and be productive and then build the team? Good luck!

By the way, wins and loses are attributed to a team. Not one player.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
So your plan is to not build the defense, let a franchise QB go in hopes the new guy can come right in and be productive and then build the team? Good luck!

By the way, wins and loses are attributed to a team. Not one player.

The thread is about the QB. So, looking at team failures and success's from a qb stand point is valid. The qb leads the offense, and is the highest paid person on the team, so that has impact on the way you build your team.

How did you get me not wanting to build the defense out of that?

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score

So, here the cowboys sit
-with a horrible defense
-injured oline
-new coaching staff
-new philosphys

When you pay dak, you are basically saying that he will win you a superbowl.

Eli won his superbowls with an elite defense, and pretty good qb play. Then as the defense slipped, he didnt get back.

Brady won his first couple because of defense and then he stepped up and was able to carry the team. Rodgers, Breeze, and Peyton were able to carry their teams.

The more we ask Dak to do.. The better his stats get and the worse our results get.

We were better when this was the Oline and Zekes team.

Just like in 14 when Murray and the Oline were carrying the load.

The Oline and run game is what has brought us success in recent years. Unfortunately that isn't enough to keep up with a truly elite QB in Aaron Rodgers.

Which is why I think they should use their resources on building the whole team and not having weaknesses with a QB not capable of overcoming them.

catiii

Reaction score
Now Troy has said he likes what he has seen in Dak. He has said this several times.

However, last night he said, if you are in position to take one of the QB's at the top of the draft, you must do so. And I can't disagree.

Did anyone else hear this?
What do you all think about it?

I know many will agree, as some will disagree with this statement.

I stated several times, you have to consider it, no way you can not discard this theory.
Yo have a QB that is good to very good, but just seems to be missing something at times. I felt the same about Tony Romo.

So Dak on the verge of being tagged at $37 million or set to make $35 to $40 million a year. Now I won't get into the salary cap ramifications on that, but understand the thinking from many fans about it.
So a franchise QB is there, you get at a 5 year far less impact on the cap.

Can this QB do right away what Dak will do when he returns healthy from his injury. But yet still the same issues, no defense. Though I think a new DC will be better than a 3rd pick overall on defense.

What are your thoughts as of this morning.
Right now, as usual, I will wait until the end of the season, see where we pick. I do like Dak, but I am leaning very much too selecting a QB.
YOU TAKE THE QB IN THE DRAFT. PERIOD. END OF STORY. TROY IS RIGHT.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The thread is about the QB. So, looking at team failures and success's from a qb stand point is valid. The qb leads the offense, and is the highest paid person on the team, so that has impact on the way you build your team.

How did you get me not wanting to build the defense out of that?
Umm, by drafting a QB? Pretty valuable pick.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
YOU TAKE THE QB IN THE DRAFT. PERIOD. END OF STORY. TROY IS RIGHT.

If you have a qb with your pick, I agree. If they have to move up, and trade draft picks, then it might start to change.

Umm, by drafting a QB? Pretty valuable pick.

There are no defenders worth the top spots that will help you this year. You would want to trade back for more picks.

But It just so happens that the year you are bad and have a top pick, it is also the year you may have to make your qb the top paid player in the league. The cowboys will not be in a position where they dont have to sell the farm to get a qb again

So, the question, and what i have been bringing up, is do you take a qb or do you think dak can get you to a superbowl.

If they don't have to trade up, I take the qb. Allow the new coaches to put in their philosophy's and draft guys for their schemes, and restart

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
If you have a qb with your pick, I agree. If they have to move up, and trade draft picks, then it might start to change.

There are no defenders worth the top spots that will help you this year. You would want to trade back for more picks.

But It just so happens that the year you are bad and have a top pick, it is also the year you may have to make your qb the top paid player in the league. The cowboys will not be in a position where they dont have to sell the farm to get a qb again

So, the question, and what i have been bringing up, is do you take a qb or do you think dak can get you to a superbowl.

If they don't have to trade up, I take the qb. Allow the new coaches to put in their philosophy's and draft guys for their schemes, and restart
There are some very good defensive prospects and if you have the ability to get the best CB or LB or trade back for more picks it would be insane not to. We disagree.

dsturgeon

Reaction score
There are some very good defensive prospects and if you have the ability to get the best CB or LB or trade back for more picks it would be insane not to. We disagree.

what prospects this year do you think are worth taking in the top 5?

DFWJC

Reaction score
If we’re talking Lawrence....well, duh.
Of course you take him.
But he won’t be available

if it’s one of the others, well, you might want to cash in with a ton of high picks and rebuild your team
unless you flat out love one of them....which is doubtful

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
what prospects this year do you think are worth taking in the top 5?
It depends on where we pick. If it's an early enough pick, I trade back and get another 2nd rounder. There are plenty in the 1st and 2nd round that could come right in and contribute. Surtain, Parsons, Farley, Holland, Wilson are some early picks.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Now Troy has said he likes what he has seen in Dak. He has said this several times.

However, last night he said, if you are in position to take one of the QB's at the top of the draft, you must do so. And I can't disagree.

I stated several times, you have to consider it, no way you can not discard this theory.
Yo have a QB that is good to very good, but just seems to be missing something at times. I felt the same about Tony Romo.

So Dak on the verge of being tagged at $37 million or set to make $35 to $40 million a year. Now I won't get into the salary cap ramifications on that, but understand the thinking from many fans about it.

Can this QB do right away what Dak will do when he returns healthy from his injury. But yet still the same issues, no defense. Though I think a new DC will be better than a 3rd pick overall on defense.

Right now, as usual, I will wait until the end of the season, see where we pick. I do like Dak, but I am leaning very much too selecting a QB.

First off.. Let me say I am shocked that Troy would even say that. I can't believe he would publicly admit to that because usually ex-players, especially the HOF QB, is going to be supportive of the current guy.. So I am shocked that Troy would publicly say this.

2nd.. I do not necessarily agree.

IF the QB is worthy of the pick then yes.. Imagine passing on a great young QB? Imagine if Dallas passed on the next big NFL Superstar QB. That would be Jerry Jones legacy as an owner.

If you're Jerry you almost have to take a top QB if they are rated that high because his entire legacy as a GM will be the QB he passed on if that QB were to go on an be a bigtime success.

I have a feeling Zach Wilson is going to be that guy that is going to be a hype machine headed into the draft and the Cowboys better make sure he isn't Mahomes part 2 or close to it because that guy has a lot of skill and is one of those guys who can just buy time and get you out of bad plays with his escapability.

Austin 3-16

Reaction score
It's just malarkey for anybody to think like this right now if you talking about us. Too many holes.

Chuck 54

Reaction score
I love Dak, but if we had the #1 pick, and if we didn’t get a great deal to trade down, I’d draft Lawrence and tag Dak. You let them compete, and you trade one later for a ransom.

FVSTONE

Reaction score

Where is Troy getting all his info? From his boyfriend, that's who.