Troy Aikman's comments on the draft last night

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Read the first sentence again. The draft is a crap shoot from pick #1 on so of course the QB selected with a top 5 pick may not turn out to be worth it but if, on draft day while on the clock, you have one sitting there that you believe can take you to and win a super bowl then you make the pick and let everything else sort itself out. If you aren't certain then you stick with Dak and maximize the value of that pick to improve the defense. It all comes down to what you think about the available QB. You never pass up a QB you think can win a super bowl, especially if you aren't certain the QB you have can.

Quit making sense, you'll make people here nauseated...

:D

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It all comes back to Jerry, doesn't it?

Same old same old. If it's not poor drafting it's poor free agent signings, or vice versa. And keeping players past their prime, as well as over paying players based on limited good play.

"Round and round she goes, where she stops everybody knows"
And that's why I don't subscribe with the risk of drafting a new QB and expecting this season to be different. Especially when you KNOW Prescott can play at a high level and you DON'T know what the new guy is worth.

cmoney23

Reaction score
Trenches. This team is broken in the trenches. OL especially.

Our entire off-season should be spent improving the OL and defense.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
And that's why I don't subscribe with the risk of drafting a new QB and expecting this season to be different. Especially when you KNOW Prescott can play at a high level and you DON'T know what the new guy is worth.

I can see that. Too bad Dallas is in an awkward spot - they have the aging vets such as T. Smith, Lee and even Martin that are on the tail end of their careers and won't be here for a 2-3-4 re-build. Then you have the 2021 free agents - Woods, Brown, Looney, Erving, Awuzie, Goodwin, Lewis, A. Smith and Thomas. If you keep them, and you'll have to keep some of them just to keep from having a near total tear down and rebuild, not enough good draft picks to replace them all anyway.

If there's one thing that I can have sympathy for Jerry, it's that. There is no easy, one-size-fits-all answer. Now most of the problems are Jerry's fault, we all know that, but it's not like Jimmy's (hey isn't it funny, we can say Jimmy or Jimmy's and we all immediately know who we're talking about?) first year, when it was obvious what had to be done - a team full of aged, expensive veterans and mediocre players that had to be cleaned out and replaced.

But Jerry's problems are our problems as well, can't wish him evil, because that will knock this team back another 26 years....

BigD_95

Reaction score
That's not really true. When Prescott was playing the offensive was ranked at the top. Now, it's embarrassing.

Well it was also at the top KAT year after 3 games and what did that get you ?

poor games later against NE, Saints, Jets and terrible game against the Eagles in a must win to win the division.

no doubt Dak is better than the current QB playing but it’s not like Dak doesn’t have a lot of issues. He is very inconsistent. His throws can be really off.

it’s such are hard decision on what to do with Dak. There is no easy answer.

he will likely get paid by some team 38-42 million. Just because that is what QB are getting and he has done enough to get that.

but anyone can see that Dak is not an elite QB that can carry a team. So what do you do? He obviously gives Cowboys best chance to win now but is he really good enough to get the team a super bowl. And can he over come having less talent when his portion of the cap hit is so high and we lose players we really want to keep?

I think if I was GM I would ask myself if having Dak are we that QB away from winning the super bowl in 1 or 2 years. I kind of think we are. Invest heavily in defense in the draft and free agency. O-line will be back next year. TE & WR are solid. RB are solid. Get the defense at least respectable and Cowboys should be competing with the top teams.

shabazz

Reaction score
God bless comrade Aikman, but this is the same genius that recommended the TE pick of major bust David Lefleur instead of HOFer Gonzalez......his expertise in judging talent and other things is questionable at best.

Flip flopped several times in his critique and revised critique of Rayne Dakota too.......

He knew that signing Dakota long term would have kept his own legacy of success safe

Last edited:

Sandyf

Reaction score
People need forget about taking a QB, Jets and Jags will take the top two QBs, Bengals will take the OT from Oregon then depending where we are then trading back may be the best option. No top DE or DT worth a top ten, LB is maybe a good option, most of the other OT guys are more of the 10 to 25 guys, CBs have one or two but none of them are Deion Sanders type, S is a possible if we trade down into the teens, but the best option if we don't move may be the TE from Florida and somehow I don't see the Jones taking a TE in the top 10.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
Now Troy has said he likes what he has seen in Dak. He has said this several times.

However, last night he said, if you are in position to take one of the QB's at the top of the draft, you must do so. And I can't disagree.

Did anyone else hear this?
What do you all think about it?

I know many will agree, as some will disagree with this statement.

I stated several times, you have to consider it, no way you can not discard this theory.
Yo have a QB that is good to very good, but just seems to be missing something at times. I felt the same about Tony Romo.

So Dak on the verge of being tagged at $37 million or set to make $35 to $40 million a year. Now I won't get into the salary cap ramifications on that, but understand the thinking from many fans about it.
So a franchise QB is there, you get at a 5 year far less impact on the cap.

Can this QB do right away what Dak will do when he returns healthy from his injury. But yet still the same issues, no defense. Though I think a new DC will be better than a 3rd pick overall on defense.

What are your thoughts as of this morning.
Right now, as usual, I will wait until the end of the season, see where we pick. I do like Dak, but I am leaning very much too selecting a QB.
Yes I heard it.

The problem with Troy is..

He is now a TV personality and needs clicks.

So he says things so sometimes that clearly to me says he is just playing the game with his comments.

So who really knows. He can not clearly show bias as people will turn him off.

So you have to use your own logic here.

conner01

Reaction score
Now Troy has said he likes what he has seen in Dak. He has said this several times.

However, last night he said, if you are in position to take one of the QB's at the top of the draft, you must do so. And I can't disagree.

I stated several times, you have to consider it, no way you can not discard this theory.
Yo have a QB that is good to very good, but just seems to be missing something at times. I felt the same about Tony Romo.

So Dak on the verge of being tagged at $37 million or set to make $35 to $40 million a year. Now I won't get into the salary cap ramifications on that, but understand the thinking from many fans about it.

Can this QB do right away what Dak will do when he returns healthy from his injury. But yet still the same issues, no defense. Though I think a new DC will be better than a 3rd pick overall on defense.

Right now, as usual, I will wait until the end of the season, see where we pick. I do like Dak, but I am leaning very much too selecting a QB.
It’s just logical if you can get a elite prospect on a rookie deal you do it
At 4-5 that’s not gonna happen but if by some act of god it did you take the rookie
And I’m a Dak fan and think he’s our best option

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I pray we do not trade back.

There will be an exceptional player at 5 or 6 or anywhere in the top 10.

We were thinking of trading down last year when CeeDee suddenly appeared.

Use your brains here.

I have a favorite saying..

" God gave me a brain. He also expects me to use it"

It is not user friendly and it does not come with a user Manuel. Be careful.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
I can see that. Too bad Dallas is in an awkward spot - they have the aging vets such as T. Smith, Lee and even Martin that are on the tail end of their careers and won't be here for a 2-3-4 re-build. Then you have the 2021 free agents - Woods, Brown, Looney, Erving, Awuzie, Goodwin, Lewis, A. Smith and Thomas. If you keep them, and you'll have to keep some of them just to keep from having a near total tear down and rebuild, not enough good draft picks to replace them all anyway.

If there's one thing that I can have sympathy for Jerry, it's that. There is no easy, one-size-fits-all answer. Now most of the problems are Jerry's fault, we all know that, but it's not like Jimmy's (hey isn't it funny, we can say Jimmy or Jimmy's and we all immediately know who we're talking about?) first year, when it was obvious what had to be done - a team full of aged, expensive veterans and mediocre players that had to be cleaned out and replaced.

But Jerry's problems are our problems as well, can't wish him evil, because that will knock this team back another 26 years....
Lee may be at the end, but O linemen tend to age better.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Lee may be at the end, but O linemen tend to age better.

Oh that's certainly true, but that's no always the case, and T. Smith has had too many physical problems, seriously doubt he'll not retire by 2023 at the latest...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Well it was also at the top KAT year after 3 games and what did that get you ?

poor games later against NE, Saints, Jets and terrible game against the Eagles in a must win to win the division.

no doubt Dak is better than the current QB playing but it’s not like Dak doesn’t have a lot of issues. He is very inconsistent. His throws can be really off.

it’s such are hard decision on what to do with Dak. There is no easy answer.

he will likely get paid by some team 38-42 million. Just because that is what QB are getting and he has done enough to get that.

but anyone can see that Dak is not an elite QB that can carry a team. So what do you do? He obviously gives Cowboys best chance to win now but is he really good enough to get the team a super bowl. And can he over come having less talent when his portion of the cap hit is so high and we lose players we really want to keep?

I think if I was GM I would ask myself if having Dak are we that QB away from winning the super bowl in 1 or 2 years. I kind of think we are. Invest heavily in defense in the draft and free agency. O-line will be back next year. TE & WR are solid. RB are solid. Get the defense at least respectable and Cowboys should be competing with the top teams.
I'm not talking about last year. Prescott is far better than what you're painting.

Tagging Prescott will cost more than most fans realize.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I watch some, mainly big schools since that's where most top NFL players come from. There are exceptions of course, guys like Walter Payton, Jerry Rice and Larry Allen, just to name a few.

My main problem with college ball is the scheduling, and by that I mean teams like Alabama playing teams like Podunk University, and winning 63-7 or such. Yes I know the small schools get big paydays, but even if I was an Alabama fan I wouldn't even watch the game, massive blowouts hold little attraction for me....
As an Alumni the blowouts are fun.

College fandom is driven by the Alumni and former students along with the locals. And of course the traditions and rivalries.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
Oh that's certainly true, but that's no always the case, and T. Smith has had too many physical problems, seriously doubt he'll not retire by 2023 at the latest...
He just had surgery. This tells me he's planning to continue playing, otherwise he would have retired. I certainly don't see how anyone could make that prediction in the future. It all hinges on his surgery results.

HappyOnions

Datwin
Reaction score
Looks like we'll end up picking around 4 or 5...

Lawrence, Fields, and Sewell will likely be the first 3 players off the board.

That leaves us in a position to draft Michal Parsons or Patrick Sutrain II....which is the direction we should go in because of our atrocious defense...

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
He just had surgery. This tells me he's planning to continue playing, otherwise he would have retired. I certainly don't see how anyone could make that prediction in the future. It all hinges on his surgery results.

He had surgery on his neck. Hasn't played all 16 games since 2015.

But prior to that he has been wearing a brace on his arm the last couple of years. That's not a style statement, obviously he wears it for a reason
He also has had a back problem since 2016 when he was found to have a vertebral disc bulge. Back flared up again in 2017.

Add to that knee sprains, etc. and he's hardly in prime shape. And he's "only" 30, but he's in his 10th season, started when he was 20, so playing time-wise he's like 32 years old.

I stand by my statement, hopefully he can play in 2021 and 2022, and play well, but I would not be surprised if he doesn't make it past this next year. Sure fire HOFer, imho...

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
He had surgery on his neck. Hasn't played all 16 games since 2015.

But prior to that he has been wearing a brace on his arm the last couple of years. That's not a style statement, obviously he wears it for a reason
He also has had a back problem since 2016 when he was found to have a vertebral disc bulge. Back flared up again in 2017.

Add to that knee sprains, etc. and he's hardly in prime shape. And he's "only" 30, but he's in his 10th season, started when he was 20, so playing time-wise he's like 32 years old.

I stand by my statement, hopefully he can play in 2021 and 2022, and play well, but I would not be surprised if he doesn't make it past this next year. Sure fire HOFer, imho...
I'm simply suggesting I would wait until next season to make that determination. He's been injured or the years, for sure. But we don't know how he'll be at this point and he's such a high level of player that I would rather ride him out if we can.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
My biggest thing for JJ is to not let the media dictate your decision. Not matter what JJ does the media will be all over it. If he re signs dak to a big contract they’ll say he’s overpaid.... if they don’t they’ll rip Jerry for it even more.

dak is a good guy.... that’s what plays even more into it. You root for him.

I want to see dak back.... but if the team feels it’s better to go in the other direction than do it. Don’t cloud your thinking based upon the media reaction either way.

TheGoat73

Reaction score

Get defense. Give Dak something other than bottom 5 starting field position. Unless you know one of the OT is done.