Troy Aikman's comments on the draft last night

Rayman70

Reaction score
I believe in Dak. I think Dak is more than good enough to win a title. I am a big fan of his.

That being said. The cowboys scouts and front office needs to do their due diligence on the QB’s in the draft. They need to scout them heavily.

If a Fields or Wilson is available to pick and the FO believes they can be an elite QB. Then you gotta take them.

what I wouldn’t do, is trade up for a QB. And what I wouldn’t do is reach for a QB that should be a mid to late first rounder and you take them, just to take a QB.

But if you have the 3rd or 4th pick. And Wilson or fields is there. And you think they are a top QB prospect worthy of the pick with elite potential. Then I am fine with pulling the trigger.
Dak is the heart of this team.

lukin2006

Reaction score
I’d do it too. I have nothing but respect for Dak but this team needs so much help in so many areas I can’t be convinced to give Dak the money he demands. We played just as poorly when he played early on this year.
The defence played poorly. The offence was lighting things up...

starfan1

Reaction score
I don’t get where people think that if you draft QB he’s going to be the next Mahomes. It’s 50-50 he’ll be half as good.

not only that people think Mahomes has single handedly turned the Chiefs around. Yes he's better than Alex Smith but people conveniently forget that Alex had the chiefs competing and doing well in the AFC every year. The big thing is yes the QB switch coupled with tremendous talent on offense and a solid d once the D took that jump up the chiefs won the SB. Most importantly great coaching I hated that fat SOB when he was in Philly but he was why they were good every year and why EB isn't a head coach yet baffles me.

This whole faction of just draft a QB and well overcome our suckiness thought process that a bunch of our fellow fans have baffles me. Now don't get me wrong if they do Ill cheer whoever it is on Sundays but that isn't the fix. Patrick Mahomes here likely gets you marginally more wins. But get a Andy Reid and fix the D now youre talking.

Oh and someone needs to bring forward those pics of Jerry and Steven pulling a train on a goat and they can slither away

CWR

Reaction score
Now Troy has said he likes what he has seen in Dak. He has said this several times.

However, last night he said, if you are in position to take one of the QB's at the top of the draft, you must do so. And I can't disagree.

Did anyone else hear this?
What do you all think about it?

I know many will agree, as some will disagree with this statement.

I stated several times, you have to consider it, no way you can not discard this theory.
Yo have a QB that is good to very good, but just seems to be missing something at times. I felt the same about Tony Romo.

So Dak on the verge of being tagged at $37 million or set to make $35 to $40 million a year. Now I won't get into the salary cap ramifications on that, but understand the thinking from many fans about it.
So a franchise QB is there, you get at a 5 year far less impact on the cap.

Can this QB do right away what Dak will do when he returns healthy from his injury. But yet still the same issues, no defense. Though I think a new DC will be better than a 3rd pick overall on defense.

What are your thoughts as of this morning.
Right now, as usual, I will wait until the end of the season, see where we pick. I do like Dak, but I am leaning very much too selecting a QB.

Its all moot. We won a couple long shot games and the teams in front of us won't be winning. We will ultimately end up somewhere around 4-6 ish.

Rockport

AmberBeer
Reaction score
Oh I understand that, there are no guarantees. They know what they have in Dak, and he shown he can win. It could be a tough dilemma.
I am not opposed to a trade down if they can get 2 #1's and 2 #2's, maybe also a #3 type of a deal.
You say you understand but you're willing to roll the dice anyways? What if he's another Schliter, Couch, Schuler, Akili Smith, Leaf or Jamarcus Russell? It will set you back for years. I could go on and on about 1st rd busts.

stilltheguru

Reaction score
The fact that Dak got franchise tagged should mean we draft a qb. Its common sense. Would Jerry have tagged Aaron Rodgers?

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
the major caveat is do we really know how to gauge the players in the draft due to the odd year that is 2020?I would be leary of drafting a QB high. We have Dak..we know how good he is. Drafting a QB means we are in full rebuild mode...
Good point.

lukin2006

Reaction score
And some of you want Aikman as our GM...

I’ll pass, thank you.

how many years did we go between Aikman and the next competent QB.

The problem with this team is the D. Nolan needs to be fired..

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Now Troy has said he likes what he has seen in Dak. He has said this several times.

However, last night he said, if you are in position to take one of the QB's at the top of the draft, you must do so. And I can't disagree.

I stated several times, you have to consider it, no way you can not discard this theory.
Yo have a QB that is good to very good, but just seems to be missing something at times. I felt the same about Tony Romo.

So Dak on the verge of being tagged at $37 million or set to make $35 to $40 million a year. Now I won't get into the salary cap ramifications on that, but understand the thinking from many fans about it.

Can this QB do right away what Dak will do when he returns healthy from his injury. But yet still the same issues, no defense. Though I think a new DC will be better than a 3rd pick overall on defense.

Right now, as usual, I will wait until the end of the season, see where we pick. I do like Dak, but I am leaning very much too selecting a QB.
We have been discussing this since Dak rejected the last contract offer. It’s not a I hate or love Dak situation, it is about how much Dak’s agent wants him to get paid. Tag Dak first. Then offer Dak a fair contract (home town discount) and if he rejects it let his agent shop for a deal. Then you trade Dak for a 1+. Obviously the Joneses have to be doing their homework on these guys (quarterbacks). I love the big 3 personally (Lawrence, Fields, and Wilson). I want to see more from Lance and the two SEC guys. I am in the camp of our team stinks and even if we were healthy, the defense would still suck. We have few corner stones on defense, it is time for a rebuild.

Rayman70

Reaction score
ITS a mistake to not sign Dak longterm..unless he's asking for over 40 per. We see just how awful we are without him..and lets face it, we were hot trash with him, but could at least compete. If we sure up the oline in the offseason, fix the interior dline and address safety,linebacker...we can compete better in 2021. To achieve all this requires trading our top 5 pick to gain ammo.We have tons of holes to address on D...and a couple on the oline. Left tackle actually should be a top priority. Left Tackle, DLINE, SAFETY,LINEBACKER. In free agency we better go get a top flight db.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
ITS a mistake to not sign Dak longterm..unless he's asking for over 40 per. We see just how awful we are without him..and lets face it, we were hot trash with him, but could at least compete. If we sure up the oline in the offseason, fix the interior dline and address safety,linebacker...we can compete better in 2021. To achieve all this requires trading our top 5 pick to gain ammo.We have tons of holes to address on D...and a couple on the oline. Left tackle actually should be a top priority. Left Tackle, DLINE, SAFETY,LINEBACKER. In free agency we better go get a top flight db.
You wont be getting any toys in FA if you keep dak around. Thats the whole argument, its not about Dak being good or bad its simply how do you fix the rest of the roster? I agree that Dallas needs to address all of the positions you mentioned...you could even add more to that.

Rayman70

Reaction score
You wont be getting any toys in FA if you keep dak around. Thats the whole argument, its not about Dak being good or bad its simply how do you fix the rest of the roster? I agree that Dallas needs to address all of the positions you mentioned...you could even add more to that.
well I understand all that. But if we can land just 1 "toy" ..maybe a left tackle, that would be a start..or a safety. The cap will be tight, but I think we can structure things to do both. Sign Dak and land a top flight defender, or left tackle. Your right though...we wont be able to do much if we keep him. Its a slippery slope.

Shane612

Reaction score
Yeah, but for every Dak or Brady their are 100 Ben Dinuccis in the later rounds.
I like Dak, but you're put him with Tom Brady...c'mon, man...:grin:

I think you can find a Dak anywhere in the first 4 rounds of a draft...kinda smart, good arm who can be really good or just average. We don't really know which Dak is yet....or do we.
Believe it or not, you can do worse than Dinuccis. Not fair to judge a young raw QB with just one game, in an impossible situation.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Aikman was talking a lot of nonsense last night.

The ONLY way that it makes sense to draft a QB is if we tag Prescott and get a 1st for him. Otherwise, he should be extended and we don't have a need for a QB, besides a back up.
Yeah cause Aaron Rodgers didn’t work out. If a stud qb is there you don’t pass, even if you have Brett Favre.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
If we had a shot at Trevor Lawrence, we take him no questions asked.

You always start with the franchise quarterback. And, no, Dak is not a franchise quarterback. He is good, but he's not franchise-worthy.
But he is a quarterback you can build around. So, with Trevor no longer our endeavor, we need to build a defense around Dak.
So if any team is looking at the other quarterbacks (Fields, Lance and Zack) and wants to trade up with Dallas, you take that deal, amass draft picks and rebuild this defense.

Then, you get rid of Nolan and Moore (or let McCarthy take over play-calling), bring in competent play callers and hopefully this team improves.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

If Jerry intends to sign Dak, don't waste a top pick on a QB. We have other needs.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
The defence played poorly. The offence was lighting things up...
The offense was lighting things up at the end of the games when teams were playing prevent.
Dak had several 3 and outs in games against the Falcons, Seahawks and Browns game. That's why many question the stats. Yes, he can rally a team from behind, just like Tim Tebow. But there are factors to consider when looking at gaudy stats, particularly passing stats. If a team is up 20-0 and 29-10 (Falcons) and 41-14 (Browns), it tends to play more prevent defense, allowing the offense to gain yardage but eat up clock.